test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Confirmed: Lag is still present and identical to what it was...

phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
I apologize if there's a likewise post that cropped up in the meantime, but today's patch (5/14) has NOT fixed the persistent lag AT ALL.

"Command Ships: Resolved an issue which was causing the Inspiration mechanic to heavily impact server performance."

Looks like you guys will have to find another way to fix the lag. Tried 2 runs with 2 completely different groups, both times the same amount of lag available, neither of the runs had a Command Cruiser around.
Post edited by phalanx01 on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,552 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They said they fixed ONE CAUSE of lag. They did not claim it was the only cause, in fact the posts mention Attack Pattern Beta causing server CPU load spikes.

Besides that and other server-side causes, there are still people with ISP issues and possibly the Cogent issue.
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    There is some improvement.

There is still the whole Command Spec tree, the various traits and abilities.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    From the topic "Dev post on Reddit about the cause of the lag."

"We'll be making these changes over the coming weeks and months."

Not sure what to say about an aspect of the game that's rendered completely broken to a big part of my playstyle (STFs) that we'd be forced to wait for months, plural.

But of course it's just my ISP & Computer & too old to play a 5 year old game, good thing no one else is affected in any way shape or form and Cryptic is completely excused as it isn't on their end and could never 100% ever possibly be so /sarcasm.

But credit is given to them admitting to it and that they're aware of it and working within (the ridiculous budget constraints of PWE most likely) their capacity to get it fixed.

I was thinking, OK, there's Risa, lots of fun there. No, sorry, you can no longer have the grand prize you've been waiting for all year.

Ok...

So after months of wait (it's already been months of Lag on F/KFA, measurements in weeks is long overdue) how long until a new game-breaking feature gets 'accidentally' (not tested thoroughly before release - because PWE customers are outsourced as beta testers as well in the name of profit above all else) introduced, followed by months (plural) of trying to track it down?

I'm not sure what to say or do about Star Trek Online. My friends already know my recommendation regarding this MMORPG - I don't think I need to spell it out.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    lordcuttersladelordcutterslade Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You should call your ISP or upgrade your PC (get 4xGPUs at least) before complaining about the lag!
    Since the problem is obviously on your end!
    [SIGPIC]Everything is awesome![/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Well yeah, it's just annoying like hell with the lag. Just saw another good group of people moving on to another game because of the various issues again. I don't know, I really do get the feeling that there's a lot of migration going on right now and it isn't for the good of the game. I'd be ok with Cryptic taking out the changes they feel are lagging and fix them up properly before relaunching them, a rollback of some sort. Anything to fix this ongoing lag because there's so many people that are simply too fed up with it now...
  • Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    imo the lag is based solely on to much damage output at once and the system can not think fast enough to compute this dps.

as a sci captain I run to lag once I start debuffing a group of npcs. more so when I run with other scis and we stack debuffs.

example is when we hit a GW and group 10 spheres, hit the New resonance beam x2 plus sensor scan x2 and iconic turbulence x2. We can knock the Dmg Res to a negative number.

We also can do this on a gate and drop the Dmg Res to -300. Thus increase the damage output of all players. When a 5x Trop spreads go off the system can not keep up.

The main reason for the lag is dps. more so when the NPC has negative Dam Res
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • Options
    buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That is one of the listed advantages for F2P games, leave when you want, return if you want. I am not poking at you, just having to face the same reality.

It seems all the procs and random heals, immunities, and gimmicks have caught up with the server finally. The sad thing is that these same procs have made the game boring as well. Remember when you had to actually heal yourself, direct power to shield facings, talk to team mates?
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    3 months & counting,,,,,:(
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,865 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You should call your ISP or upgrade your PC (get 4xGPUs at least) before complaining about the lag!
    Since the problem is obviously on your end!

Sorry but this is WRONG....this is from the new Mr EP that is beyond one's ISP or PC upgrades...better to KNOW the subject before judging others:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23621141&postcount=552
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That is one of the listed advantages for F2P games, leave when you want, return if you want. I am not poking at you, just having to face the same reality.

It seems all the procs and random heals, immunities, and gimmicks have caught up with the server finally. The sad thing is that these same procs have made the game boring as well. Remember when you had to actually heal yourself, direct power to shield facings, talk to team mates?

This ^^

/12 char
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    MORE MONTHS before the gameplay is fun again?

Nice way to sink your business. Seriously. This should be top priority. This should have the focus of your entire coding and networking teams. This is such a massive issue any company with even a shrivel of consumer respect and decency would hire temporary personnel just to fix it!

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, once again cryptic never fails to disappoint one :D
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Ironically enough I came back about 3 weeks ago after a few months of "leave" shall we say expecting the game to be running smashingly fine. Even pulled in some other people with me that wanted to give STO a go and with all the new content what could go wrong, right? Let's just say that it's the last time I'll be recommending this game to anyone at all anymore.

And yes I do agree with the "traits" and stuff like that, it's made the game too... 'silly' could be the word?
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I too come back after a few months leave. For a while now It's 3-5 months of not playing, come back, do all the new content (including new rep/season stuff) in less than a month, then quit for another 3-5 months.

That's terrible game design. I only ever return because I love trek and I hope whenever I return there's been a lot of lay-offs in upper management in favour of more competent people.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have not been experiencing any lag during this time that people have been reporting it; however, there was horrible lag in the FE I just ran.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hajmyis wrote: »
    imo the lag is based solely on to much damage output at once and the system can not think fast enough to compute this dps.

as a sci captain I run to lag once I start debuffing a group of npcs. more so when I run with other scis and we stack debuffs.

example is when we hit a GW and group 10 spheres, hit the New resonance beam x2 plus sensor scan x2 and iconic turbulence x2. We can knock the Dmg Res to a negative number.

We also can do this on a gate and drop the Dmg Res to -300. Thus increase the damage output of all players. When a 5x Trop spreads go off the system can not keep up.

The main reason for the lag is dps. more so when the NPC has negative Dam Res

It would explain why my dps is anything from 10k-26k, same ship & load outs, but i have done a run with (approx) 1-40k, 1-35k, 2-20k, 1-15k & had no lag at all, all T5U ships.
    Just lucky i guess.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wait, you guys read the patch notes and actually believed that they had fixed it? :rolleyes:

Did you not see how many times they claimed to have fixed FAW? Or the loadout bugs?
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lag at login was marginally better for me as long as I did not have to spawn in a social zone. ESD was like watching a slide show, with 30 seconds or more between slides... Try again, please! :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Have to say i ran 2 infected's 1 was a bit jumpy and slight rubber banding the 2nd was a slide show we persevered through it. Also ran Cure space started well until 3 mins in then lag to the point where the boss ship was a slide show.

Chat was working fine.

Unfortunately as we were teamed with a command ship in one of those infected we couldn't lock target and atomise his inspiration generator and his ship :P

Maybe the Pearl/Summer event was intended to hide/take attention away from the fact this hasn't been fixed.
  • Options
    sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well. Just had the worst lag ever in a tholian alert. Skill not going off, weps not firing. I especially loved having skills not goin off but they sure still gave me a cooldown for nothing.
  • Options
    saxmanusmcsaxmanusmc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yep, I have the same lag as always. Nothing has changed. Doesn't surprise me though.
    FA Janin Delwynn - Fed Tac Officer
    FA Dion - Romulan Engineer Officer
    FA Zophie Delwynn - Fed Science Officer
  • Options
    darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't know what is causing the lag, and I really don't care what the cause is. All I know is that it has gotten no better at all and maybe worse since the patch today 05/14.

After patching today, I was on my KDF toon in a T5-U ship and all alone in the Featured Episode. The lag was ridiculous.
    People can blame the Command ships or whatever they want to blame, but don't cuss me for using a ship that I busted my butt to get! I didn't buy my Command ships with real money, I had to grind for them, so lag be damned I'm using my ship!! Got a problem with it? Take it up with Cryptic. Just saying.
  • Options
    huntorhuntor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think lag is even worst than before

ISA is just unplayable
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordprotiuslordprotius Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I guess its time to go play something else for a while till they sort this TRIBBLE out....

I enjoy playing teh STFs... and since i cannot play them , then its time for a break....
    #Aux2batman Lives!!

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I guess its time to go play something else for a while till they sort this TRIBBLE out....

I enjoy playing teh STFs... and since i cannot play them , then its time for a break....

Don't hold your breath...they'll just keep releasing new content, instead of making the existing work. I'd rather the game went off for a week and came back with Every. Single. Kink worked out.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    huntor2 wrote: »
    I think lag is even worst than before

ISA is just unplayable

Heh, I'd forgotten about that signature...I could have used that for another thread recently.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wow, sucks seeing this thread. :confused:

I just played for a bit over an hour and it was the smoothest the game has been for me since before Delta Rising. Did ISA, CCA, The Gates of whatever (Advanced), and the Tholian Alert without even the slightest hint of lag.

I expected to see threads of people relieved that the lag was gone, but apparently it's not true for everyone.

I have never seen anything quite like this in an MMO. Where some people played totally smooth while others lagged so bad they could barely move. I definitely think today's patch was a big step forward in fixing the problem, but apparently some problems still remain that are crippling for some players.

Has anyone else noticed improvement? I'm pretty sure it's not in my head, I didn't have huge Lag problems before, but I would get rubber banding on ESD and skipping in CCA which was totally gone today.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They said they fixed ONE CAUSE of lag. They did not claim it was the only cause, in fact the posts mention Attack Pattern Beta causing server CPU load spikes.

Besides that and other server-side causes, there are still people with ISP issues and possibly the Cogent issue.

APB? :eek:

it's an old ability... all of this lag instead is quite new compared to APB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In addition to that, after the patch was said to have fixed the problem with crashing while trying to log in, I YET AGAIN keep crashing to desktop after seeing the words, "Star Trek online the Iconian War" with the words "material files reloaded" on the bottom. In agreement with the OP, I also add NOT RESOLVED is the issue where upon loading the game, we crash to desktop.