What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please upgrade Tovan Khev so all the hate would go away

Comments

• Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Huh, I could've sworn I didn't have the option to dismiss Flores last I checked.

Oh well, its still incredibly amusing. Of all the things y'all could be full of incoherent rage over, this is the hill you're standing on.

Yeah, the hate over Mr. Kev is bizarre.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    else you'd have to wonder how many times the Tal'Shiar will set up the same "secret" facility in the same spot on Numbass - er, I mean Nimbus III.)
    Actually, that is far more important to address the Khev controversy in my eye. The whole theme park "perspective" storyline paradigm is grossly incompatible with a typical persistent world presented in MMORPGs in the context of hard continuity issues and intrinsically creates unavoidable instances of Gameplay-Story Segregation.

The only difference in my mind is the scope - Khev is more of an immediate problem, whereas the whole of Gameplay-Story Segregation is more of a long-term problem, despite IMO it being vastly more important. Revamped content is quite frequent in STO, so I strongly believe that the Tovan Khev problem could be resolved eventually when convenient.
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just give him Superior Romulan Operative, Superior Infiltrator, or both. I would have no problem with him taking up a BOFF space if he were actually useful in the game.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've always been wondering why there is so much Tovan hate. Sure, he's a useless piece of TRIBBLE that is missing SRO and is therefore just wasting a boff slot, but once your done with the silly lvl content of this game you will never see or hear him again. Just accept the fact that there's a useless piece of TRIBBLE waiting in your airlock and doing nothing other than collecting dust.
    Get a set of BOFFs you like and be happy.

There are buttloads of crucial issues out there that are way more important than a stupid and useless boff wasting a slot:
    - balance
    - bugs
    - missing leaderboard
    - missing matchmaking
    - missing spectator mode
    - insane grind
    - p2w
    - dinos with laz0rz
    - Geko
    - lockboxes
    - game breaking T6 ships
    - game breaking spec trees
    - game breaking rep passives
    - crafting
    - upgrade costs

All of that should be fixed first before even thinking about a Tovan Khev.

edit:
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    What is the advantage for Cryptic to force him on us? I don't see any.
    Simple, you may be forced to buy new slots.
  • Options
    eigthballereigthballer Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For every complaint about Khev, I have not heard one about Flores or K'Gan. Not one. Its incredibly amusing.

K'Gan is dismissable. I got mine reassigned to injector-scrubbing duty on Rura Penthe a year ago... I wonder how he is doing :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Read the thread. It wouldn't solve most people's issues.

This one just seems such a small issue to gripe about.
    As far as the issue of multiple Tovan's go. It really occurs to me that since the story is essentially the same no matter what decisions you make as a Romulan, that every Romulan character you make is an alternate timeline. Thus explaining the multiple Tovan's. We're basically playing that episode from TNG where Worf comes about several different realities at once.

How else do you address the headcanon problem when your ship blows up? It's not as though you have backup ships or anything like that. You're dead. That's it. The ship that comes up next is an alternate timeline where you don't die.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    Kaiden Alenko is lame, weird and creepy. Sorry. Apples to oranges. Tovan's just this guy... you know?

If there is one character I have truly hated on any RPG is Kaidan Alenko. But at least you have the satisfaying option of having him nuked... really nuked :)
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hmmmmm.....With all the Tovan hate, I have to say this:

I HATE RIKER. Thus Tovan is just another Riker. He's a copy and paste as a Romulan. He acts the EXACT same as Riker. So, Out the airlock and into the sun with him.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    If there is one character I have truly hated on any RPG is Kaidan Alenko. But at least you have the satisfaying option of having him nuked... really nuked :)

lol, truth.

It just seems weird that this is what people get on their horse about. This game has a lot of bugs right now. My Character doesn't look like my character in cut scenes. The KDF faction is lacking and it always will be just like the RR. PWE is transitioning to a private entity in the Cayman Islands. Gecko's bright idea for the game is to remove more content. And... what are people really worried about? The dismissal of the BO that they can easily just remove from ground and space and not really have to look at (although he has good stats on ground).

I guess the easiest solution would be to let us rename him? maybe choose between him or his sister? I dunno. But it's not important to me. I like Tovan. He's my war buddy.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Hmmmmm.....With all the Tovan hate, I have to say this:

I HATE RIKER. Thus Tovan is just another Riker. He's a copy and paste as a Romulan. He acts the EXACT same as Riker. So, Out the airlock and into the sun with him.

Then this may be just your thing:

The Trial of Star Trek's William T. Riker

:P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Hehe; I remember that! Hmm, Ashley or Kaidan? Tough choice.... NOT!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Read the thread. It wouldn't solve most people's issues.

I think they want to force you to buy more BOFF spaces from the C-store this way... altough it seems hardly effective.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You people use that word "force" so often.

I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    lol, truth.

It just seems weird that this is what people get on their horse about. This game has a lot of bugs right now. My Character doesn't look like my character in cut scenes. The KDF faction is lacking and it always will be just like the RR. PWE is transitioning to a private entity in the Cayman Islands. Gecko's bright idea for the game is to remove more content. And... what are people really worried about? The dismissal of the BO that they can easily just remove from ground and space and not really have to look at (although he has good stats on ground).

I guess the easiest solution would be to let us rename him? maybe choose between him or his sister? I dunno. But it's not important to me. I like Tovan. He's my war buddy.

Well it's really about the choice. You like him? keep him. You don't? dismiss him. You hate him? beam him to Q'onos with a sandwich sign "Khaless is my *****"
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    You people use that word "force" so often.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

From the Merriam-Webster:
    2force
    verb

: to make (someone) do something that he or she does not want to do

: to make it necessary for (someone) to do something

: to make (something) necessary

I think #3 really describes the situation with our friend Toby.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well it's really about the choice. You like him? keep him. You don't? dismiss him. You hate him? beam him to Q'onos with a sandwich sign "Khaless is my *****"
    Yeah, about that...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    2force
    verb

Don't feed the trolls! Jonsills is trolling the forums wheneven he can. Just read through this topic - it's hard to believe that he doesn't understand the entire Tovan issue, he is doing this on purpose.
    He even called Khev "a pretty darn useful purple tac officer" - obvious troll is obvious
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Yeah, about that...

Dreaming costs nothing...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    2force
    verb

Actually, I think #2 describes it better (kinda). IF you want extra boff space, AND you cannot dismiss Tovan, THEN, and ony then, the circumstances force you to buy extra boff slots.

I don't believe for one moment, btw, that Cryptic created Tovan with the purpose of having you buy extra boff slots. That's too cynical, even for my taste. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Actually, I think #2 describes it better (kinda). IF you want extra boff space, AND you cannot dismiss Tovan, THEN, and ony then, the circumstances force you to buy extra boff slots.

I don't believe for one moment, btw, that Cryptic created Tovan with the purpose of having you buy extra boff slots. That's too cynical, even for my taste. :)

Nah, I don't think so either. It's too petty. I believe they did it as they say to flesh out the story. And I find it hard to believe it would be too hard to have him become flushable once the main arc or even the nimbus arc is completed. But it is a relatively minor thing and therefore low in the priority list. I can only imagine how insanely packed the devs' schedules must be. That's why is important to keep voicing our wish to have Thovan fixed.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Don't feed the trolls! Jonsills is trolling the forums wheneven he can. Just read through this topic - it's hard to believe that he doesn't understand the entire Tovan issue, he is doing this on purpose.
    He even called Khev "a pretty darn useful purple tac officer" - obvious troll is obvious
    I don't think you can honestly claim that anyone's a troll merely based only on what you can read here.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Nah, I don't think so either. It's too petty. I believe they did it as they say to flesh out the story. And I find it hard to believe it would be too hard to have him become flushable once the main arc or even the nimbus arc is completed. But it is a relatively minor thing and therefore low in the priority list. I can only imagine how insanely packed the devs' schedules must be. That's why is important to keep voicing our wish to have Thovan fixed.
    I'd wager that Khev don't even need to be kept on your roster after the tutorial. Any NPC at any given time could follow you in any mission and claim they're on your ship, tagging along. How is Tovan Khev somehow exempt from doing that?
    Using a person's post is exactly how you and the mods define trolling on a forum.
    I don't think you can honestly state how I define a troll.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    How you personally define a troll isn't relevant. And if you personally can't tell when a generic "you" is being used as opposed to when a person specific "you" is being used then you (specifically in this case) can't be trusted to know when a person is or isn't trolling, or you are trolling yourself. :rolleyes:

btw, orangeitis has been on my personal "troll-list" for a while aswell. Whenever he posts it reads like he's just discussing for the sake of discussion. He rarely posts his own opinion or any real content - it's mostly unwanted "corrections" or hairsplitting cuz he felt the need to be stuffy.

He even did this in the PvP subforum although he doesn't pvp...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Weren't Romulans eventually given a an extra boff slot to make up for the one Khev takes up?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A number of players don't dismiss Elisa simply because she has early access to TS3, and as a human, has the standard human traits. If obtainable Human Boffs could have Superior Leadership, then some would throw a fit as to why Elisa didn't, same way a fair number of players throw a fit that Tovan doesn't have SRO at the least while other top level Romulan Boffs do.

His sister could possibly serve as a replacement; she's seen more action than her brother as a transporter (Tovan has mostly handled ground security on a farming planet in comparison), and probably knows better routes and locations, making an in-game reason for her having SRO and Superior Subterfuge legitimate.

I feel though that Cryptic missed out on a golden opportunity to switch things around for Delta Recruits though.

Delta Recruit Romulans should get Mirror Tovan Khev. A Tal Shiar-like individual who wants to flaunt Romulan supremacy and has the Superior Impatient Space Trait and Superior Romulan Operative. Subterfuge optional. Trade-off is that he's even more of pain in the TRIBBLE and questions your authority in exclusive pop-up dialogue on the side of your screen. Also dislikes the Feds, and grills you about it constantly if you side with them.

Feds should get Mirror Elisa Flores, cold, calculating, and merciless, with Superior Leadership and Superior Efficient space traits. Default in Terran attire. She aids you because she owes you her life after some temporal drama, though she would occasionally question you as to why you didn't deliver the killing blow in the few missions where you can choose to do so, or question why you're aiding the Kobali instead of the non-infected Vaadwaur.

KDF should get Mirror K'Gan, a peace-loving Klingon who advocates unity and peace, but has Superior Leadership and Superior Efficient, and constantly inquires as to your need for bloodlust and combat, rather than talking it out.

All three only available to Delta Recruits, and all 3 only questioning your actions if they're set as active Boffs (ground team or bridge crew).
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Weren't Romulans eventually given a an extra boff slot to make up for the one Khev takes up?
    That is a negative. You only get 3 BOFF spaces till later on.
    dgdolph wrote: »
    btw, orangeitis has been on my personal "troll-list" for a while aswell. Whenever he posts it reads like he's just discussing for the sake of discussion. He rarely posts his own opinion or any real content - it's mostly unwanted "corrections" or hairsplitting cuz he felt the need to be stuffy.

He even did this in the PvP subforum although he doesn't pvp...:rolleyes:
    Discussing is why forums exist, last time I checked. And I'd want to be corrected if I made a mistake, so I do my best to help others. I certainly don't do it to get any kind of "reaction" out of anyone. But hey, it's not like you'll believe any of this anyway, right? You just believe what you want to.

Anyway, think of me as a troll if you want, but don't BS your way into trying to label others as trolls. That's not cool.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    That is a negative. You only get 3 BOFF spaces till later on.

Do you need 4 SROs instead of just 3 SROs and 1 RO at level 10?

What I recall is that at 50 a Romulan would have the same number of open boff slots as other factions with Tovan hanging out in his extra slot.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Do you need 4 SROs instead of just 3 SROs and 1 RO at level 10?
    I personally don't need any, if that's what you're asking. And I'm not a DPS guy, I'm not even sure if they stack any more or how beneficial they are.
This discussion has been closed.