test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Expanded sector space distance has ruined low level play

rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
I guess the title says it all. I am trying to bring up a level 10 Klingon, but 3 times I got bored waiting to get to my destination. Well.. I logged in twice, and tried to transwarp for a price, but I keep ending up by Quo'nos when my destination is Cursa.

I wonder if I'll be there when I finish posting this?
giphy.gif
Member since December 2009

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    On a positive note, at least it hasn't ruined pvp.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Look on the bright side: while you are waiting the 2.5 minutes for your ship to get to your destination you can be playing Candy Crush on your Smartphone/Tablet. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Look on the bright side: while you are waiting the 2.5 minutes for your ship to get to your destination you can be playing Candy Crush on your Smartphone/Tablet. :)

Or watching a video, or doing work, etc. Seriously, I don't even bother to transwarp or use slipstream.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It doesn't bother me at all. I am use to it from playing Freelancer and doing 30 minute cargo runs. Going from Qonos to Boreth at warp 5 is quick compared to that.
    sstosig2.png
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    walligig wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me at all. I am use to it from playing Freelancer and doing 30 minute cargo runs. Going from Qonos to Boreth at warp 5 is quick compared to that.

Ahhhh... Freelancer... The heady days of trying to make a cargo run from Manhatten to New Berlin to earn 250k in credits, and meeting a pack of VHF flying Titan-Boyz from Clan Mc Noob-Killer telling you they 'own' the Texas jumpgate, and it's 1 million creds in 'Jump Tax' each way...

And no chance to fight your way through because the mod's admins/devs have decided you need a 2 million cred license to get a cargo ship you can put decent armour/guns on.

And then yopu find out your ship is forfeit because a 'roleplayer' typed a quasi illiterate post on the forum RP thread where they said you lost your ship to them playing poker in a bar in a system you've never actually been to
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Expanded sector space is the best thing that's happened to STO in a long while because now it finally feels like we're out of the cubicles and finally exploring space as it should have been from the very beginning.

This isn't the only game or MMO where long distance travel is (finally) a part of the gameplay/backdrop. If this game according to the OP is "ruined" perhaps they should consider a different genre altogether.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If this game according to the OP is "ruined" perhaps they should consider a different genre altogether.

The game is not ruined for level 50 plus. At that point, the sector space revamp is awesome! :D

At low levels, they moved the mission objectives faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar apart, plus you're moving at around warp 5. Playing Delta recruits went from one extreme of leveling to fast to barely.
    giphy.gif

edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Don't suppose you've ever played anything like World of YouKnowWhat (or just about every other MMO in the world) where you have to run everywhere for the first 40 levels or so....

My other MMO is Dungeons & Dragons Online, the anti YouKnowWhat. It is usually 30 seconds from quest giver to quest, and I like that...A LOT!
    giphy.gif

• demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    The game is not ruined for level 50 plus. At that point, the sector space revamp is awesome! :D

At low levels, they moved the mission objectives faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar apart, plus you're moving at around warp 5. Playing Delta recruits went from one extreme of leveling to fast to barely.

Lower payouts for patrol missions multiplied by longer times getting from a to b = more grind...

Double the time for half the pay = 4 times the grind.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • forrestorocksforrestorocks Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't think it's ruined it, if anything it enhanced the later levels. It's another unintentional incentive to level up. Plus it shows how much better the later more advanced ships are in comparison as your progressing. Besides space is massive and even though the new sector space is much bigger it's not as big as it technically should be.

I personally don't mind this change, I get where some could, but I personally enjoy it takes longer. It's a good size where it's not quite a space stimulator or skyrim but it's also not as claustrophobic as it was before.
    Player since Dec 2009!
  • rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't think it's ruined it, if anything it enhanced the later levels. It's another unintentional incentive to level up. Plus it shows how much better the later more advanced ships are in comparison as your progressing. Besides space is massive and even though the new sector space is much bigger it's not as big as it technically should be.

I personally don't mind this change, I get where some could, but I personally enjoy it takes longer. It's a good size where it's not quite a space stimulator or skyrim but it's also not as claustrophobic as it was before.

what they could add are low level consumables to get temporary quantum slipstream . I agree to some extent with the OP : and it doesn't work as an incentive at all, boredom sets in ( for federation recruits everything is very close by ,but KDF - players have to travel long distances ) .

Even better would be content while traveling ( i.e. onboard your ship or in space ) . That's long overdue at any level , not just < lvl 40 ...
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I actually was doing DR toons, and I find that the time it takes actually make me appreciate wrap engine more and feel more like Trek. In fact, at wrap 5, you are doing the same speed as Kang and Kirk did.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Don't suppose you've ever played anything like World of YouKnowWhat (or just about every other MMO in the world) where you have to run everywhere for the first 40 levels or so....
    Back around I think their second expansion, they decided they'd let you have a horse at level 20.

Level. 20.

Can you imagine having to fly a shuttlecraft everywhere in STO until you became a Commander? And why exactly is it that slaughtering kobolds for several hours is the prime desideratum for a cavalier? "Sure, you grew up on a farm and you've been riding horses since you were knee-high to a gnome, but you're not qualified to have a horse now until you spend several hours killing random low-level creatures in the wild! Oh, and by the way, you'll have to make trips to the neighboring regions on missions before you can ride there, too. And no, you can't hire a hippogriff to take you there, because until you go there, they don't know where it is either." What in the Abyss is that all about, anyway?

On the third hand, it still beats trying to get anywhere in SWTOR if you haven't paid - you can't even learn to run as a free player until what, level 15? And forget about getting a speeder, that's not an option until much later.

As for low-level missions in STO, I find it's much more (whisper it) immersive. On the Fed side, remember when you first saw your training ship, and Flores dismissed the Mirandas as having "a cruising speed of warp 5 point nothing"? It's supposed to take a long time to get anywhere in those ships. That's why they're tooling around the home sectors, not out on the front lines somewhere. Once you hit level 10, you can spend the time setting up DOff missions and whatnot; in the meantime, maybe you could take a look at your away team's gear, see if you might be able to improve their equipment from the last mission's drops during your downtime.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Back around I think their second expansion, they decided they'd let you have a horse at level 20.

Level. 20.

Can you imagine having to fly a shuttlecraft everywhere in STO until you became a Commander? And why exactly is it that slaughtering kobolds for several hours is the prime desideratum for a cavalier? "Sure, you grew up on a farm and you've been riding horses since you were knee-high to a gnome, but you're not qualified to have a horse now until you spend several hours killing random low-level creatures in the wild! Oh, and by the way, you'll have to make trips to the neighboring regions on missions before you can ride there, too. And no, you can't hire a hippogriff to take you there, because until you go there, they don't know where it is either." What in the Abyss is that all about, anyway?

On the third hand, it still beats trying to get anywhere in SWTOR if you haven't paid - you can't even learn to run as a free player until what, level 15? And forget about getting a speeder, that's not an option until much later.

As for low-level missions in STO, I find it's much more (whisper it) immersive. On the Fed side, remember when you first saw your training ship, and Flores dismissed the Mirandas as having "a cruising speed of warp 5 point nothing"? It's supposed to take a long time to get anywhere in those ships. That's why they're tooling around the home sectors, not out on the front lines somewhere. Once you hit level 10, you can spend the time setting up DOff missions and whatnot; in the meantime, maybe you could take a look at your away team's gear, see if you might be able to improve their equipment from the last mission's drops during your downtime.

point of the OP s that for fed everything is indeed very close by ,but that isn't the case for KDF -newbies since the space sector revamp. It isn't a huge issue though , just adding quantum slipstreams consumables as rewards to low level toons would suffice.
  • nccmax2nccmax2 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I guess the title says it all. I am trying to bring up a level 10 Klingon, but 3 times I got bored waiting to get to my destination. Well.. I logged in twice, and tried to transwarp for a price, but I keep ending up by Quo'nos when my destination is Cursa.

wauu, you got to wait wile traveling. go to WoW, i here everything is instant there.
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I actualyl like the new change. Go to blabla system, sure. open map. no bull**** trying to search in every single sector
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've been away for over a month, but I remember people wanting more realism.
    Well, it's still taking a few weeks less than it should.
    edited April 2015
    'smacks forehead

Of course the KDF leveling experience involves a lot of movement from faaaar away point to another faaaaaaaar away point, and this is NOT the Federation leveling experience. Why didn't I see that right off?
    giphy.gif

• ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Shame they don't have an auto navigate button or a list of destinations so you could just click on where you want to go.

There is and auto nav button! I guess you haven't tried warping ahywhere since the revamp. And hey it took a long time before getting somewhere so IMHO it hasn't hurt low level at all.
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Lower payouts for patrol missions multiplied by longer times getting from a to b = more grind...

Double the time for half the pay = 4 times the grind.

The moment I read this a little more of my gamer self died. Some of you are too obsessed with measuring your rewards per minute and crying 'grind'. You've stopped playing games and started hammering the lever and squeaking loudly when the pellet doesn't come out as fast as you wanted.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • aelogriaaelogria Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah its pretty bad at low levels. Especially on the KDF side where every mission takes 15 minutes to get to and are at oposite ends of the beta quadrant.

@Desdecardo since 2008.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There really should be a low-level discount. I've been running a new KDF character recently, and some of those early missions have absurd travel times.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • joawayjoaway Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Shame they don't have an auto navigate button or a list of destinations so you could just click on where you want to go.

Actually there is. On the map window is a tab called "System List" which displays every system in the quadrant. Double click it and your ship auto navigates to it.
    A mind overrun with far too many alter egos. Caitians M'Grek and R'Rak, Ferasan M'Tas, Tellarites Gav and Gral, Bajoran Kira Mabrin, Liberated Borgs 7 of 11 and Six and Two and Ten, Reman Rakrikas... and far too many ships to even count.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    joaway wrote: »
    Actually there is. On the map window is a tab called "System List" which displays every system in the quadrant. Double click it and your ship auto navigates to it.

sopwith's sarcasm
    >

-> your head.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yep, hate how long auto travel takes at low level. Gives me time to make a sandwich, and grab a fresh beer from the fridge ..........Soooo depressing.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It can be a little tedious at high levels too.

And yeah, that "Transwarp to location" option and ending up in orbit of the place you were leaving is getting OLD and now EXPENSIVE.
  • tigerblade66tigerblade66 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not sure if asked but how as the changed affected Tour the Galaxy?
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I wonder if the OP has realised that this 'problem' is mostly just in their head and their own impatience is blowing it completely out of perspective?

By removing sector walls, traveling through sector space, even immediately after leaving the tutorial, is quicker than it ever has been before, as you're no longer having to wait for artificial barriers to load between sectors, not to mention being able to take far more direct routes between points...

The issue at hand seems, at worst, to be nothing more than a glitch in the episode transwarp that the OP is trying to transwarp to, and I cannot see how this has 'ruined' sector space travel for lower level players...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This has always been the case for KDF. For the starting missions you had to fly to almost the edge of the map (Gamma Orionis). At low level there is not much to do, no doffing, not checking equipment/set up, you don't have it. You have to sit it out.

Since the new sector space, I hardly ever use transwarp. In fact I like to fly through this space. With the old sector blocks, whatever you were doing, everytime you were interrupted for warping to the next sector, which not alwys was the right one. This and the loading screens was reason to use every possibility of transwarping, free or ec.