test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's no wonder we have Lag!

darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
I know the ISP or w/e that Cryptic uses may not be the best available. But does it help that if you are doing PVE with people from a specific channel, such as the DPS channels, that it's very likely all 5 on the team are running a parser and a good possibility that 1 of them is also making a video of the match?
And then there is also a good possibility that 1 or 2 of those on the team is also downloading something.

How about this for a change, let's turn off our parsers, stop our downloads and make a video some other time and get back to just playing and having fun!

Everyone so concerned about DPS these days and it is ruining the game. Granted that higher DPS is a great thing, but it seems like there are tons of ships out there that are nearly exactly alike in build etc because they want to be near the top of the DPS list or w/e.
Also, everyone on the team doesn't need to run their parser in the same match.
I know for a fact that the parsers do have an effect because I'm on a slowish connection and I notice it when I have my parser running. It's much smoother with it off.
Post edited by darpink on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A moth farted in outer eastern Mongolia too...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I don't think that is why we have lag.
    The parsers and video recordings are client side. Might be some lag with a parser going because its gotta read your combat log, but recording is strictly local to the machine. Now if they were livestreaming they might get some lag because not only are they playing an MMO, which requires a connection, they are also broadcasting, which ALSO requires a connection. But again... it wouldn't be affecting everyone. Just the person doing the livestream.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    sysil84sysil84 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    darpink wrote: »
    I know the ISP or w/e that Cryptic uses may not be the best available. But does it help that if you are doing PVE with people from a specific channel, such as the DPS channels, that it's very likely all 5 on the team are running a parser and a good possibility that 1 of them is also making a video of the match?
    And then there is also a good possibility that 1 or 2 of those on the team is also downloading something.

How about this for a change, let's turn off our parsers, stop our downloads and make a video some other time and get back to just playing and having fun!

Everyone so concerned about DPS these days and it is ruining the game. Granted that higher DPS is a great thing, but it seems like there are tons of ships out there that are nearly exactly alike in build etc because they want to be near the top of the DPS list or w/e.
    I know for a fact that the parsers do have an effect because I'm on a slowish connection and I notice it when I have my parser running. It's much smoother with it off.

How dare you try to have fun in a way that I don't like! :rolleyes:

Now that Cryptic has driven off most of the PvP'ers, the target of every problem has become the DPS'ers.

- DPS'ers have optimized builds? That's why there is lag in the game.
    - DPS'ers make video of their runs? That's why we don't have the T6 Defiant yet.
    - DPS'ers have private channels? That's why we'll never have the Cardassian faction.
    - Etc.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Uhhh... not sure if a very good troll or a very clueless random person...
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah and the DPS channel is also responsible for the climate change and world hunger. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah and the DPS channel is also responsible for the climate change and world hunger. :rolleyes:

"Puts on Tin Foil hat". I am no scientist, but I agree with this statement.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lol ANY lag is probably due to something wrong with the database or the voice system or something mundane like that. It appears characters who are older with more TRIBBLE in the way of toys and abilities lag more then a fresh brand new one so this is a classic database issue.

I am sure that there are people who lag because of their isp as well. I see groups where like one guy is complaining and lagging like mad and others are fine.

I have had a few wicked lag issues from time to time but again it seems to clear up I attribute it all to database stuff and am wondering if their cures for things like the loadout issues are in some way linked so its possible that this is a case of the cure being worste then the disease.
  • Options
    bengusbengus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015

U sir are a MORON
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2015

The parser would have nothing to do with your internet connection. It's only working with data that STO is already receiving. Taking a FRAPS of the game also shouldn't effect anyone else in the instance - if FRAPS was lagging a client so badly that it couldn't sync properly with the server, the client gets dropped.

If you are actually being lagged by any of the current STO parsers that I am aware of, you probably need a new PC. They use significantly less system resources than opening the system resource monitor to check on them does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    x0rphenx0rphen Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2015

And i say its no wonder nothing of this issue gets fixed because we have people like you who have no freakin idea what they talk about nor do they have the slightest technical knowledge about anything they talk about.

Everytime someone like you posts theses uninformed posts our Cryptic Overlords get a 1 UP in their "lets dont do anything about it cause this guy there seems to be fine with it" department.

Bravo!
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A moth farted in outer eastern Mongolia too...

Best response EVER!
    signature.png
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Your parser produces lag at your place because your computer cant handle it computing the fight in real time. Deactivate the auto-refresh, and that lag will be gone.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Recording videos and running parsers has no effect on server bandwidth
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015

This is the only thing I could think of in response...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCBWRU59zk
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No sorry, no amount of Cryptic apologists is going to be able to spin this so that it's the player's fault.

If someone is running a parser, that's on their end. That will not effect anyone else on the team, in the instance, or even anywhere else in the game. The lag is a game-wide issue.

Same with recording videos.

How can you have fun when the game itself is preventing you from doing that? Or even playing, in often cases?

I've lost track of the amount of times I've sat there mashing away at my heals (on Ground, so it's not like I'm FAW'ing away or anything) only to have the game ignore me and I die. Then some helpful teammate comes to resurrect me, only to have the lag prevent me from moving/healing/doing anything and then I die right there again, in the same spot.

PvP didn't lag before, and there are multiple times the amount of calculations taking place in an average PvP match than even the longer STFs. Add on to that that many PvPers use a variant of a parser to run our own leaderboards (software and leaderboards created by @mancom, since Cryptic apparently can't find the time or has the knowledge to do something a player created in his off time).

Nope.

This is something on Cryptic's end.
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While from a local client level , this might make things better for individual players and i say MIGHT.
    DPS Parser and the like dont effect outside there Respected clients .

While there are some out there in DPS circles that I would love to shove out a Airlock for PARSING every single map and throwing out parse numbers rather than parsing logically . but they are not the issue with lag if that was the case we would have seen this A LONG time ago . this is something else from there DDOS attacks , it seems that in locking it down Cryptic created issues .
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    quepan wrote: »
    While from a local client level , this might make things better for individual players and i say MIGHT.
    DPS Parser and the like dont effect outside there Respected clients .

While there are some out there in DPS circles that I would love to shove out a Airlock for PARSING every single map and throwing out parse numbers rather than parsing logically . but they are not the issue with lag if that was the case we would have seen this A LONG time ago . this is something else from there DDOS attacks , it seems that in locking it down Cryptic created issues .

That makes more sense than blaming client side issues, some kind of bandwidth throttling somewhere between the servers and our clients by Cryptic or possibly by their ISP.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited April 2015

If you are experiencing problems with a parser causing lag then you need more memory on your computer or a better video card/processor.
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Def a Laugh And Giggles thread.

Now OP go take that theory into a Pug match on normal with no DPSer's/Parsers, full Spec trees or Command Ships and explain why there is lag in those matches.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah well my two cents stop downloading TRIBBLE at the same time your playing and get a fast 105 MBS minimum connection and stop playing on CELL PHONE connections!
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    LoL at first PvP was to blame for everything, then that died. Now it's the DPS crowd turn, hehe.

Competitive PvE is PvP! ;)
  • Options
    tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2015

1) If someone on your team is downloading other stuff yes they are slowing down their own connection. Now this is all based upon how they have set download priorities on downloads. Now it might make you load a screen slower because the server is trying to get their data to display for everyone else, and you have stuff limiting your own bandwidth. So their downloading shouldn't affect your connection unless there is something written wrong in the PW server's code.

2) I find all this parser I want to know how much damage i'm really doing is all useless. In the game almost every weapon fires a volley.
    Do you even know how the parser works to record data? Is it recroding each pulse or the whole volley? The games combat log is recording each pulse in the volley. So you do not know what is actually being recroded or if its right, and yet still using it which may slow down your own processor.
    The whole thing about dps'ers braggng they can do this and that has led us to have the worst season ever....Season 10-the life leach season. Where PW has said now everyone must become a tank with its own hit point regen. Your previous videos are part the reason for the way season 10 is laid out. Oooo your on a leaderboard for most damage...woopie...congrats.....real leaders are not based upon their damage, they are based upon how they lead others.
  • Options
    alcapawnalcapawn Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    just try to use your own "/netgraph 1" command ingame and watch the 600k receved packages all day long. its clearly not the fault of any of the users. multiple youtube videos clearly showing a close to no lag situation by not using any captain or Boff skills

its just the buisness plan of the publishers. as long as the game is making profit things will never change because theres no reason. money is still comming. players, especialy the new ones, spending their money to be as strong as long time players.

if you are still playing, try to have fun and make the best of it.
    if you are thinking about playing the game - please dont. because thinks just becomming worse

its a shame!
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    How about this for a change, let's turn off our parsers.
    The Devs already said in one of the podcasts that they consider parsers to be a mod. And as we all know, using mods on a multiplayer game can get you banned. So if you do use a mod of some sort, DON'T publicise the fact that you use it, parsers included.
    sysil84 wrote: »
    - DPS'ers make video of their runs? That's why we don't have the T6 Defiant yet.
    There already is a T6 Defiant. It's called that Phantom, also known as the "Super Defiant."
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    LoL at first PvP was to blame for everything, then that died. Now it's the DPS crowd turn, hehe.
    Once the evul DPS crowd is gone too, it will hit the satanic order of foundry authors!

Now, dear devs, pls remove PVE and the foundry from the game! These trolling players are really toxic and destroy this wonderful game!
  • Options
    nh3rdnh3rd Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... parser = mod... LMFAO!!!!

Oh noez we're all going to get banned because guess what the parser gives a list of who is using a parser..... and yet we're all still here.

Holy hell best laugh all night.

On to better things.

A delay from the client to the server has 0 bearing on the group for multiple reasons. But first and foremost all the client does is act as a rendering engine for actions taken on the server. When you mash that button for an ability or you give the order to fire your weapons that is not happening client side. All you have done is sent a message to the server that says activate fire etc. This isn't COD where the client handles the majority of the load its just a graphics engine. The server handles the heavy lifting.

So I say fire
    server receive order starts firing
    spits back a series of numbers
    rinse wash repeat until receive message from server saying target is dead.

So you could be downloading 20 games on steam while doing a live stream while watching Netflix and it still won't matter because as far as the server is concerned you're sitting their with your thumb in your bum until it receives a packet saying otherwise.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nh3rd wrote: »
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... parser = mod...
    In that case, you may be pleased to know, the Dev who said that no longer works for Cryptic.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.