test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DOFFING and Levelling Up

antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
I expect this will probably be an unpopular opinion but I think the amount of experience given by DOFF missions whilst leveling up is way too high.

For example I logged off with my Delta Recruit the other day at Level 19, looking forward to playing the next mission and to level up and get my next ship. But I'd set-up a standard load of DOFF missions for the dilithium. Then when I next logged in and accepted the completed assignments I went up four levels!

It seems really strange that we can level up so much by not actually playing the game and has taken a bit of the flow and fun out of leveling my Delta Recruit...

It's probably too late/complex for them to change this but I thought I would see what other people think?
Post edited by antzudan on

Comments

• e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's also probably because of the XP bonus in effect. That and you probably lucked out on criticals.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Keep in mind that part of that stems from you Doffing in the middle of an double XP event.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No

When you get to lv60, DOffing is the best and only way to gain spec points (since most of the decent grinds were nerfed)

Plus, you can still enjoy the story, the difficulty will adjust for your level ;)
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I know that. I don't want them to Nerf it at higher levels. Just wish they could make the rewards scale with level.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Then dont Doff whilst not lv50. Its that easy...
    And where is your problem anyways? Higher level doesnt exclude you from doing an episode anyways.

If you dont have problems, make yourself problems....
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    antzudan wrote: »
    I expect this will probably be an unpopular opinion but I think the amount of experience given by DOFF missions whilst leveling up is way too high.

For example I logged off with my Delta Recruit the other day at Level 19, looking forward to playing the next mission and to level up and get my next ship. But I'd set-up a standard load of DOFF missions for the dilithium. Then when I next logged in and accepted the completed assignments I went up four levels!

It seems really strange that we can level up so much by not actually playing the game and has taken a bit of the flow and fun out of leveling my Delta Recruit...

It's probably too late/complex for them to change this but I thought I would see what other people think?

When you hit lvl 55 onwards then come back and tell us its too much.

Sorry but doffing is the only way to avoid the grind upon grind upon grind just to get to lvl 56 etc etc etc.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My point is it's another example of shoddy design damaging the game.

I shouldn't have to not play part of the game (DOFFing) for levelling to be a well-balanced, enjoyable and fulfilling experience.

Also I have levelled up three characters to level 60 already. I know about the slog to level 60, although personally I didn't find it too bad, thanks largely (and ironically given my complaint) to DOFFing.

In fact when I was leveling my two ALTs too (pre-DR) I noticed the same problem then as well that with DOFFing levelling up was exceptionally quick.
  • johnluckpicartjohnluckpicart Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Had the same exact thing happening to me today. Logged in at lvl 43, cashed in some doff missions and went straight to lvl 47. Only thing that was different is that I enjoyed it. :D

Just wait until xp week is over, do a little less doffing and all will be fine then.
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015

i'll see your unpopular opinion and raise you an even more unpopular opinion

this is less because doffing gives too much xp and more because leveling up from 1-50 is way too quick in general...this is one of the few games I know of where you can level up almost to the level cap and still be a complete noob and have no idea what your doing
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I shouldn't have to not play part of the game (DOFFing) for levelling to be a well-balanced, enjoyable and fulfilling experience.

Agree with this.

But on the other hand, some players have levelled so many characters that DOFFing is the only acceptable way to level a new character.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Damaging how? Its one thing to throw an attitude out there but justifying that is another. Complaining is a very-self satisfying process. It comes to us all very easily. However, when complaining its useful to have a point in there as well so you can contribute to some positive development or another while indulging your impulses.

As others have pointed out, this week is a double experience week. Its the server-wide reward for hitting tier two in last week's delta recruitment challenge. XP levels are generally not this high, and indeed you can still doff while leveling without leveling up "too quickly" outside of this or similar special events. Furthermore, at no point in STO are you punished for leveling too quickly through old missions. No gameplay mechanic, and I'll argue no story mechanic either, factors into this question. If you want to preserve a given sense of immersion feel free to use the rank pips and title you think are most appropriate to your character.

This is a non-issue. No drawback, no problem, its just a mechanic (xp rewards) operating in a way which jars against your sensibilities. Leave it alone, in a few days the game will be back to normal.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I suspect your recruit has a much stronger doff compliment than the average player.

At worst, it's a perk for veterans willing to put in the time to provide a new alt with a solid EC investment worth of doffs. There's nothing wrong with that.
    No, it's not.
    Most players probably aren't even aware of it to begin with.

You're free to ignore it. What would you have them do? Make doffing mandatory to the leveling process?
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    Agree with this.

But on the other hand, some players have levelled so many characters that DOFFing is the only acceptable way to level a new character.

Its the fastest way to do it. Ergo, to those who appreciate efficiency Doffing is "the only acceptable way." Is that a problem? No, its just min-maxing. If you try to do something about it (namely kill XP rewards from doffing assignments) you may show 'em who's boss (that is until they settle on the next most efficient way to mindlessly level characters), but you'll also rob a very nice resource from the rest of the population.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!