test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Captain Taggart Deserves better

neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
Why is this guy in command of a Miranda class ship, the way he is presented in the intro he should be in command of something a little more prestigious. I'm not saying brand state of the art ship, how bout something not really old, but not super new. Give the guy a Galaxy class ship, you have the guy sounding like Picard anyway.

So you start the game like normal, and just have the ship be a Galaxy class ship, calamity ensues he dies you're in command, finish the mission, and prove your worth. The ship is just a premade ship like the Enterprise C mission, so you don't get to keep it, and it's like a trial on how the game will be later on.

You get back to ESD Quinn likes what he sees in you, promotes you to Lieutenant, tells you that we need people like you in command of star ships, and gives you your own ship. You and your crew fly in the shuttle, Elisa Flores says maybe you will get an Odyssey class ship for what you did, you see the newly built U.S.S. Enterprise F, and fly towards her, only to fly over the Enterprise to reveal your new pride and joy the U.S.S. Redshirt. (what you're a bloody Lieutenant you think they are gonna give you a new ship like that:D)

All that needs to change is the ship, and maaaaybe the bridge and interior, becasue the Origin bridge looks way to nice for a Miranda class ship...You guys make a Galaxy interior for the Tutorial, and hey maybe sell it to players later (just saying). You guys spent time making the Galaxy class look nice, some good fly buy shots in theTutorial could show off your hard work.

But yeah I think Taggart should have soemthing that's not over a 100 years old.
GwaoHAD.png
Post edited by neoakiraii on

Comments

• Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Recruiting cadets for training cruises is probably his job. He's probably been doing this for years. A Miranda is perfectly fine for this.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The way I see it he actually has better.. he's an instuctor at the Academy... and only the best and bright become that... not only that but he's so good he's been moved to a position to deal with a bunch of wet behind the ears cadets on their maiden voyage... meaning he has the ability to deal with what ever TRIBBLE up some mediocre student managed to accomplish without loosing his head and keep a bunch of wet noodles from running off in panic out the nearest airlock.

As to the Miranda this is basically a training cruiser allowing a class to be able to learn to handle a ship in the real world and outside of a training enviroment. The Miranda being smaller needs less crew... which is good because Star Fleet classes aren't exactly huge.. and it's presumably a lot easier to fix and learn to fly since it's older tech and not state of the art.

You want you best Captain to be able to deal with that kind of pressure... which is why it's probably seen as prestigious and not a punishment.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Fine with me. They can make Kurland Captain of the Miranda class starship instead. He most certainly deserves it. How many times did he loose control over DS9? That man is the pinnacle of incompetence.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Funny, I was thinking my DR I started yesterday should name a ship after him.

If we want to talk about whether he deserves "better," aren't we missing the obvious?

I would think he'd say it would be "better" to not be dead.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While a scene of being flown to your new ship sounds awesome lets think about one thing. The only ship we really get to see for a training cruise is the Enterprise as they are trying to put her out to pasture. IE an old ship that is no longer considered appropriate for the front lines. By the 25th century they really should b retiring the Miranda. And probably did, but they are in a war and have been pulling ships from mothball to fill in the blanks the fleet needs.
    So a training Miranda seems logical still.
    Your initial cadet/lieutenant missions are initially supposed to be milk runs. Look for an over due freighter near Earth. Taxi an ambassador from Vulcan to P'jem (Seriously a shuttle would work there.) To just look at some odd readings. You are never sent to the front lines till late in the Klingon war front. And even then they prefer you to look into what should be non-combat scenarios. (Temporal Ambassador)
    So not seeing an issue for Taggart's ship. Though a little more mention of him would be good. I mean Temer is mentioned after his death. Even Jurlok is used later for the Klingons. So Taggart should get a role in a future mission. Alternate timeline like Temporal Ambassador, or a step back time travel mission so you see your first commanding officer before he is assigned to the academy.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    feiqa wrote: »
    While a scene of being flown to your new ship sounds awesome lets think about one thing. The only ship we really get to see for a training cruise is the Enterprise as they are trying to put her out to pasture. IE an old ship that is no longer considered appropriate for the front lines. By the 25th century they really should b retiring the Miranda. And probably did, but they are in a war and have been pulling ships from mothball to fill in the blanks the fleet needs.
    So a training Miranda seems logical still.
    Your initial cadet/lieutenant missions are initially supposed to be milk runs. Look for an over due freighter near Earth. Taxi an ambassador from Vulcan to P'jem (Seriously a shuttle would work there.) To just look at some odd readings. You are never sent to the front lines till late in the Klingon war front. And even then they prefer you to look into what should be non-combat scenarios. (Temporal Ambassador)
    So not seeing an issue for Taggart's ship. Though a little more mention of him would be good. I mean Temer is mentioned after his death. Even Jurlok is used later for the Klingons. So Taggart should get a role in a future mission. Alternate timeline like Temporal Ambassador, or a step back time travel mission so you see your first commanding officer before he is assigned to the academy.

Actually, THAT would be awesome to have a temporal mission to the past that has us help Taggart. And it could be that mission, that interaction which sets up a predestination paradox that gives Taggart the reason for making you his First Officer in the future. :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actually, THAT would be awesome to have a temporal mission to the past that has us help Taggart. And it could be that mission, that interaction which sets up a predestination paradox that gives Taggart the reason for making you his First Officer in the future. :D

Starfleet must have a temporal investigations officer permanently aboard your vessel :P
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Starfleet must have a temporal investigations officer permanently aboard your vessel :P

Well, with as many times as I've time traveled now, I wouldn't be surprised. :P
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited April 2015
    just change the miranda skin to the shikar skin and be done :)
  • Options
    dangweirdohottiedangweirdohottie Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Speaking of captain Taggart, I was reading one of the Star Trek novels, vendetta and the was a captain Taggart in it I found that cool
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's not unheard of to have decorated officers teaching kids on a garbage scow.

I mean, Captain Spock was in the same situation with the Enterprise. And as we all know, the Enterprise shouldn't be hauling garbage, it should be hauled away *as* garbage.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As others have stated, Taggart's ship is appropriate to his assignment. He is not on the front lines fighting the Iconians, he is apparently some kind of instructor at the Academy. And his ship is apparently purely for training purposes(although like any good officer he will respond to distress calls). It would not make sense to have a powerful ship permanently serving as a training ship when it could be used out on the battlefront.

And more to the point, you have to remember that according do the story of the tutorial WE inherit Taggart's ship. So you can't have new players starting in a high level ship.
    just change the miranda skin to the shikar skin and be done :)

I thought the same thing myself. The Shikar would *look* much more appropriate based on STO's time period. But having said that, I have a feeling they wanted the iconic Miranda look.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Personally I think in the opening you should get to pick the look of your starter ship. In fact if you've bought a tier 1 ship(have them all) you should be able to start in one of the 3 and they could of done Flores responding to each differently, just for some fun.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited April 2015
    talonxv wrote: »
    Personally I think in the opening you should get to pick the look of your starter ship. In fact if you've bought a tier 1 ship(have them all) you should be able to start in one of the 3 and they could of done Flores responding to each differently, just for some fun.

what do you think this is? bioware?
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh, I thought you referred to Commander Moria Taggert on DS-9. I thought after she was done ordering me around like an ensign, she totally got what was coming to her when the Jem Hadar showed up.:D
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Kurland loses DS9 and the Defiant so much

He should be on Garbage Skow duty
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    The way I see it he actually has better.. he's an instuctor at the Academy... and only the best and bright become that... not only that but he's so good he's been moved to a position to deal with a bunch of wet behind the ears cadets on their maiden voyage... meaning he has the ability to deal with what ever TRIBBLE up some mediocre student managed to accomplish without loosing his head and keep a bunch of wet noodles from running off in panic out the nearest airlock.

As to the Miranda this is basically a training cruiser allowing a class to be able to learn to handle a ship in the real world and outside of a training enviroment. The Miranda being smaller needs less crew... which is good because Star Fleet classes aren't exactly huge.. and it's presumably a lot easier to fix and learn to fly since it's older tech and not state of the art.

You want you best Captain to be able to deal with that kind of pressure... which is why it's probably seen as prestigious and not a punishment.

All true. And it makes sense to me that you'd put a green crew on an expendable ship, you don't want them destroying a ship the Federation needs with something like a warp core breach or firing a photon torpedo with a stuck launch door (oops!) :)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Not sure this would be a good idea in terms of going from a powerful ship in the tutorial to a P.O.S.

Video games have done that for years.

As for Spock and the Enterprise, The Enterprise was not over a 100 years old. The U.S Navy does not train people only on the U.S.S. Constitution, and then send them on active duty on a Ford class Carrier.

I said Galaxy Class cause it's around the same age the Enterprise was when Spock trained his crew.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »

As for Spock and the Enterprise, The Enterprise was not over a 100 years old. The U.S Navy does not train people only on the U.S.S. Constitution, and then send them on active duty on a Ford class Carrier.

I said Galaxy Class cause it's around the same age the Enterprise was when Spock trained his crew.

The French do...

As does theU.S. Coast Guard...

50 some aught years, close enough right?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    Don't diss the miranda, it is an awesome and powerful ship!

Look at him go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrXKI3EJFU

Imagine the terror a Captain must feel who has just been assigned to a Miranda class vessel. He must think Starfleet wants to get rid of him. :D
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Personally I still think its kinda sketchy that a Klingon ship managed to attack ships for so long right on the door step of the Sol system without Starfleet doing anything about it.
  • Options
    stormstrykestormstryke Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Oh, I thought you referred to Commander Moria Taggert on DS-9. I thought after she was done ordering me around like an ensign, she totally got what was coming to her when the Jem Hadar showed up.:D

At least you thought Star Trek. I thought Galaxy Quest when I saw the name. "Never give up! Never surrender!"

And that guy from the Academy is nothing but a red shirt standing in the way of taking command is how I look at him. So the Miranda fits.
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »

I agree, Dragon age 2 let's you use a Maxed out Version of your character in the beginning of the game. You pretty much slaughter your way through an Army of Darkspawn, before you realize that your acting out a retelling of your exploits by one of your friends, long after the story is over.
    Then you go to the beginning of your story, and your pretty much a low powered person, fleeing from that Army. Just an example of one of the games that do that.
    I agree, if he was held in such high regard by starfleet, why was he in command of what was once a light crusier, now relegated to the role of ageing fleet tugboat?
    I think it would be nice to give a new player a little taste of the power they could have at their disposal as they advance.
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I agree, Dragon age 2 let's you use a Maxed out Version of your character in the beginning of the game. You pretty much slaughter your way through an Army of Darkspawn, before you realize that your acting out a retelling of your exploits by one of your friends, long after the story is over.
    Then you go to the beginning of your story, and your pretty much a low powered person, fleeing from that Army. Just an example of one of the games that do that.
    I agree, if he was held in such high regard by starfleet, why was he in command of what was once a light crusier, now relegated to the role of ageing fleet tugboat?
    I think it would be nice to give a new player a little taste of the power they could have at their disposal as they advance.

Because it wasn't assigned to him, he wasn't a fleet officer in command of a star ship, he was a teacher assigned to an academy post. The Miranda was a training vessel assigned to the Academy and used for live training runs by advanced students.

The Miranda, and the cadets crewing it, were drafted into active duty after the arrival of the Borg as an act of desperation. I suspect they may have also decided that live training exercises are too dangerous just based on how disastrously the players turned out. New cadets will do their training exercises in a nice safe holosuite where Klingon marauders and borg invasion fleets can't kill them and where their teachers won't have to sacrifice themselves by becoming a target beacon for a torpedo lock.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jermbot wrote: »
    Because it wasn't assigned to him, he wasn't a fleet officer in command of a star ship, he was a teacher assigned to an academy post. The Miranda was a training vessel assigned to the Academy and used for live training runs by advanced students.

The Miranda, and the cadets crewing it, were drafted into active duty after the arrival of the Borg as an act of desperation. I suspect they may have also decided that live training exercises are too dangerous just based on how disastrously the players turned out. New cadets will do their training exercises in a nice safe holosuite where Klingon marauders and borg invasion fleets can't kill them and where their teachers won't have to sacrifice themselves by becoming a target beacon for a torpedo lock.

Disastously? The player character? Captain Invincible of the U.S.S. I Win? The one person who does everything remotely important? Cadet to Fleet Admiral in 18 months? A disaster? I think not.

Lets face it, if it had been the player character the Klingons captured in the tutorial, (s)he wouldn't have died.
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Obvious nod to JJ Trek 1 is obvious. And I liked it. 3 pages in and no one has mentioned this yet.

"You're the Captain now Mr Kirk"
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Obvious nod to JJ Trek 1 is obvious. And I liked it. 3 pages in and no one has mentioned this yet.

I think it hasn't been mentioned because people don't want to think about it.

As you can tell from my sig though, I actually like "JJ Trek."
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Aware of it. Just keeping it out of topic. Turns the threads into a pro/anti JJ thread.....and those usually end in fire , and tears.

But I forgot that neo likes to watch things burn, when he's drinking tears.;)