Options

Why should I roll a Delta Recruit?

2»

Comments

• Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    special? me? What the heck are you talking about? :|
    I was essentially asking feedback on how people reacted to Delta Recruit, there's no need to be hostile, bah.

I think there are lots of noobs who don't know what it takes to create several alternates. From what I read your question is poised to Cryptic not for others to try to convince you.

The burden should lie on Cryptic who wants EVERYONE to make an alternate and you know why? To show their PWE bosses that DR is the best expansion EVER and players LOVE it...get a bonus then start messing up the game again. Others might say...so what...having fun anyways. Yes but look at this way. Pre DR you took about 2-3 days to fully level up (yeah in average)...now it is snail pace. Grinding is king!!!
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think there are lots of noobs who don't know what it takes to create several alternates. From what I read our question is poised to Cryptic not for others to try to convince you.

The burden should lie on Cryptic who wants EVERYONE to make an alternate and you know why? To show their PWE bosses that DR is the best expansion EVER and players LOVE it...get a bonus then start messing up the game again. Others might say...so what...having fun anyways. Yes but look at this way. Pre DR you took about 2-3 days to fully level up (yeah in average)...now it is snail pace. Grinding is king!!!

You know that pwe could look and see that events like these line up with metrics right?
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    johnnystarflamejohnnystarflame Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Only thing that burns me is I have been playing 2 months and got mid 40s im essentially starting over right after doing these episodes. The good side is im blowing threw it a lot faster having done them so recently so I should be 40 again in no time. I see no reason to play my old lvl 40 again. If STO does something like this delta event again if I make it to 60 im not sure I could do the episodes again. So I can see why some other players who have been playing a long time with one char may not feel like re rolling for this event for various reasons.

One a side note any one know if the reward packages for every 10 levels should wait to be opened when im higher lvl, read some where they scale to level?
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    You know that pwe could look and see that events like these line up with metrics right?

Its all about metrics....how it gets there don't matter. The END justifies the means. The end being more $$$:D
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Three reasons:

1)The rewards are pretty good.

2)It's a good build up to season 10, what else you gonna do.

3)See # 1.

Alternative activities:

1)Grind.

2)Grind some more.

3)Grind like a monkey should! /organ grinder music
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why do we call it rolling? There's no dice!
  • Options
    tribblenationtribblenation Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OP, my advice is to roll the toon, perhaps a faction, species or background you had not even thought of yet, or were unsure you would enjoy playing. If after a few levels you feel bored or that the rewards are not worth it then delete it, because it is that simple and not much time was lost. I personally was on the fence too since the game is no longer alt friendly, but I am having more fun with this Delta Recruit than with half my other characters.:eek: Who knew?
  • Options
    driveclubfandriveclubfan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I bought Joined Trill race and rolled a female Trill sci fed, same profession, same faction, same looks except for hairstyle and eyes, same name and different last name from my already existing regular Trill, to create my own backstory for the two. Gotta say I'm really enjoying it, the future-self admiral from the future was a real blast, I didn't see that coming. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Its all about metrics....how it gets there don't matter. The END justifies the means. The end being more $$$:D

Right but all pwe has to do is look at when the events go off and the metrics and the rest is practically transparent. Are you attempting to insinuate that pwe can't read cryptics website?
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    saedeith wrote: »
    Obviously for fun. If it isn't fun for you, don't do it.

Exactly. There are several Dev blogs on the Delta Recruits, if you don't like what is clearly stated in there don't do it...
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    One benefit to rolling a new toon on an established character is you have all the low- and mid-level ships so it becomes possible to focus a playstyle all the way through. One my KDF toon I kept claiming BOPs at every promotion and stayed with the decloak/flank attack all the way up, was more entertaining than hopping between ships like the first couple of times. I'm tempted to roll a KDF sci and see if I can keep her in sci ships, might have enough after T1
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Right but all pwe has to do is look at when the events go off and the metrics and the rest is practically transparent. Are you attempting to insinuate that pwe can't read cryptics website?

This is what I wondered. To me, this is a very blatant attempt to raise metrics after a loathed expansion and send the message all is actually fine to the higher ups. But then, are the higher ups/investors so totally removed from the product they don't know all these (mostly) new players coming in this week are the same users just rolling new toons?

Worrying if so.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    This is what I wondered. To me, this is a very blatant attempt to raise metrics after a loathed expansion and send the message all is actually fine to the higher ups. But then, are the higher ups/investors so totally removed from the product they don't know all these (mostly) new players coming in this week are the same users just rolling new toons?

Worrying if so.

Or its not an attempt to raise metrics as much as to encourage player growth via fun events. I think reading into this as a metrics boost is a reading too much into things
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Or its not an attempt to raise metrics as much as to encourage player growth via fun events. I think reading into this as a metrics boost is a reading too much into things

I have no idea. Mind you, if they think an event like this is "fun" then God help us.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Pretty clear its for the metrics since gameplay is foreign concept
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It is a fun event.

I only have to level up one character to 50 to unlock all the account wide unlocks.

And I only have to get my new alts thru the tutorial to be able to be eligible to get the character restricted rewards at my leisure. No deadline. I can log onto them 6 months after the event is over and still get the rewards.

No mad dash power grinding before the events over on multiple characters.

That's bloody fantastic.

If you don't like that don't participate.

Thanks for that. I'm not. And if I don't think it is a fun or particularly interesting way to engage players, I will say it. Okay? Good. You are free to enjoy it and express that.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    I have no idea. Mind you, if they think an event like this is "fun" then God help us.

I'm enjoying it. It's been a long time since I leveled a Rommie and the whole time travel aspect has given my character a whole new level of RP. Plus, Elachi missions are better having played them through once. At least this time, it won't be such a death march like the last mission was the first time. (plus I'm not rolling in a D'D)
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to be blunt to the OP...

You shouldn't roll a Delta Recruit. If you have to ask this question at all the base line answer is you shouldn't, because you've already made up your mind and nothing we're going to say to you will make up your mind, even though you want to.

Mainly because everything we can tell you, you already know, so there isn't a new thing we can tell you.

For the fun factor... it's obvious it's no longer fun for you.

For the Dilithium... to be honest I didn't end up with all that much extra dilithium that I couldn't have gotten in less play time doing other events

For the EC... same as Dilithium.

The rep marks are nice... and the commodities are nice... but it's not really all something with a littler dedicated play you can't come up quicker with.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you've lost the idea that leveling a character is fun... and it no longer is for you... there is no reason at all to roll a Delta Recruit and you should go back to your grinding the same mission over and over and over again because that's obviously something you find fun.

And if you don't find that fun... why are you still here? Not being snarky but I know STO can be a serious job and a chore to accomplish, and I've walked away for the same reason from time to time.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I hadn't really played mine. Just got past the tutorial. I had the idea of an Andorian flying around in my Kumari ship. To add to RPing. I hadn't played much since the event started. But due to my playing time. I wasn't expecting to get far into it. Other reason is to see what the story they added to it. So far the few additions has be interesting.

If its not what you like to do. Your not forced to do it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    rossclansforce1rossclansforce1 Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The reason is so that we can fill the forums with bugs on old content. The data mining alone will help them determine the difficulty level for all new characters made from this point forward. Oh and the disconnect quota.. This helps add to your daily disconnects.

To be honest it is a lot of fun and you get awards despite the issues. :)
    [img]>:)[/img]

Click to Join armadafleet.org/
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's like your own private season of "Quantum Leap". I just need to call my contacts Sam and Ziggy, and its pure gold.

I haven't leveled a character in a long while, so it's actually kind of fun for me. Using mothballed ships and gear again. The rewards aren't too shabby either.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You should roll a DR so I can get 2.5x xp week for my DR ... lol
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    And if you'll notice I didn't try to tell you that you weren't free to voice your dislike of the event. I only disagreed with you and explained why I like it. Okay? Good. :D

Actually, no, you tried to tell me not to play it if I didn't like it, which I'm not. I never said I was. That was my issue - your presumption, instructing me when it wasn't required. I'm not one of these people who do something in STO but then complain about it and feed into it regardless with my metrics or wallet (a rarity I know perhaps, given what we see with players on here).

I've given my opinion and am in no way going to get involved with Delta Recruitment. I'm glad people are out there enjoying it, like yourself, which is great and even doing some very cool stuff with RP or whatnot.

The event isn't for me as I've never ever been into the alt concept.