test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why should I roll a Delta Recruit?

driveclubfandriveclubfan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
^The above. Why would I want to do that when I have already seven characters? The profession/faction mixes I am missing are those that do not interest me at all, so even if I'd rerun another character, it'd be redundant to another one. If I'd rerun one kind of character I do not have, it would be abandoned.

So, why should I? Did you create a new character that's the exact same of another one you already have or not? :\
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, 3m free EC just for getting to level 30 or so is a good start.

The bonus account items are pretty nice too.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I thought the same thing, but honestly.. I'm having a lot of fun with my Delta Recruit.

The rewards and bonuses really make it feel worth while, I'm surprised by how good of a job they did with the rewards.

By the time you hit 50, you'll have a pretty good head start on the end game grind. If you really don't feel like playing a new character and going through the story again, then there isn't really much point.

I decided to give it a try to see if I would like it, and I'm actually really enjoying it so far.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I thought the same thing, but honestly.. I'm having a lot of fun with my Delta Recruit.

The rewards and bonuses really make it feel worth while, I'm surprised by how good of a job they did with the rewards.

By the time you hit 50, you'll have a pretty good head start on the end game grind. If you really don't feel like playing a new character and going through the story again, then there isn't really much point.

I decided to give it a try to see if I would like it, and I'm actually really enjoying it so far.

Just out of curiosity, how many characters do you actually have?
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Do you want all your alts to be provided for? It means your alts get 12k+ dilithium a piece, major R&D boosts, rep marks, a ship trait, and a bridge officer, etc.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Obviously for fun. If it isn't fun for you, don't do it.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,542 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    How old are your characters?

Have you played the full KDF story starting at level 0 instead of 20(?)

Have you played the revised Romulan story from LoR?

Have you played the new Fed early stories and Romulan Mystery revamp?

If you have, and you don't enjoy leveling up, then maybe you should skip it.
  • Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There are so many nice rewards including a ton of dilithium and EC and marks of all kinds. Also the devices for ship and ground are awesome.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    How old are your characters?

Have you played the full KDF story starting at level 0 instead of 20(?)

Have you played the revised Romulan story from LoR?

Have you played the new Fed early stories and Romulan Mystery revamp?

If you have, and you don't enjoy leveling up, then maybe you should skip it.

first one dates back to summer 2013. Latest before DR.

Level 0.

I did.

I did.

I'd be more inclined if STO was even by far alt friendly. Just sayin'
  • Options
    killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The account bonuses for my army of alts, and the rewards like fleet dil are reason enough for me.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,542 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    > I'd be more inclined if STO was even by far alt friendly. Just sayin'

All crafted gear is alt-friendly, and many mission rewards are now account-bound instead of character.

If you have an account bank it's easy to share old gear you saved for leveling up, and you can also craft some new mark II gear and apply 1 blue tech upgrade to it so your alt can level it from II - VI/VII as they level up.

With the account bank you can also transfer credits and training manuals. With mail you can transfer boffs and doffs -- I just sent ~30 spare green doffs to my delta recruit when he hit 11.

Sure, I'd like to see Cryptic offer a cheap lobi unlock for alts for lobi and lockbox ships, but other than that the game is somewhat alt-friendly.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why do you do anything in a game? Because it's fun.

If it's not fun, don't.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I too had seven characters, with my Delta Recruit I'm up to 8. I felt dubious about the event so I made an alien KDF/Rom tac to be another farmer. Nothing to lose with that choice.

I have to say, it's refreshing to play some of the story missions again. But if you're not into it, there's no harm not running the event.
  • Options
    zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ^The above. Why would I want to do that when I have already seven characters? The profession/faction mixes I am missing are those that do not interest me at all, so even if I'd rerun another character, it'd be redundant to another one. If I'd rerun one kind of character I do not have, it would be abandoned.

So, why should I? Did you create a new character that's the exact same of another one you already have or not? :\

I had the same reaction. I don't have that much free time. to start a new toon. but realy just for the rewards alone. do it. I have 5 toons already but only ever realy play the main first one. and even if you have one or one hundered others you can get rewards for all of them with this one Delta recruite. :D
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Me personally, with years of dil claims to use, a 10th toon with bonuses was perfect to do.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    you are not obliged to keep the delta character, if you feel you have enough characters.
    why not roll a delta, have some fun running through all the missions and levelling, grab all the rewards going.
    dump all your fleet only rewards into your fleet and transfer all you can dil, EC ect over to your favourite character.
    once you have all you want delete the character if you don't want to keep him, no one will hold it against you, not even cryptic.

if you don't think its worth the bother then carry on as you are, nobody's forcing you to do it, its entirely up to you.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,733 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015

I admit I asked the same questions when i first heard of the delta toons that you did. after I starting reading on the toons I decided to go for it. one thing that was a huge deal for me was getting the Aegis doff when you hit lvl 1 r&d for your toon. plus with all the other stuff you get it's easy to get the R&D up to benefit. You get the ec and dilithium for your other toons which is huge. it may not seem like much, but consider, the dilithium is essentially 1 free ground gear piece, half way to a rep item for space, among other things.

I myself went for a kdf tactical toon. even though I already have a kdf tactical it's the career that i've played the most. nothing says you can't have duplicate careers etc. perhaps yes it would be redundant but think of it as the ability to rake in another 8k refined dilithium per day. it may not seem like much but consider this. if you're like me you have 6 toons currently that are at 50 or above. those are the toons i cap out each day unless for whatever reason i'm unable. for me currently that's 48k dilithium per day. that's 336k dilithium per week. now once i get the other 2 non deltas i have above 50, that's another 16k per day. when i add the delta toon into the mix, that's another 8k per day. that's 72k dilithium per day when you take all 9 toons into account. overall you're looking at 502k dilithium per week. Insert comments about me having no life here etc.

The point being behind me showing those numbers is that in the long run it may seem dumb to level another toon but it adds up in terms of what you're able to do for your account. plus if you wanted you could get a friend into the game and if you have the ability to generate a good chunk of dilithium, you could get them some pretty sick gear. just some reasons.

TL;DR, The rewards for your entire account make it worth it. Plus it gives you the ability to generate an extra 8k dilithium per day for your account. Think of it in terms of the big picture instead of just as a toon.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why do I replay single player games, knowing that I'll have to start fresh each time? Because I want to.

If you don't find the reasons compelling enough or you just don't want to then don't.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2015

The only person who can truly give you the answer you want is you yourself. Asking for what X person does or what Y person doesn't do isn't going to help you make a more informed decision.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Because pvp isn't really playing the game.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm still shocked by the number of people complaining about Delta Recruit. Not only do you level fast but you get millions of energy credits, free purple gear, marks , photonic officer. a neat devices ,and some new traits.

And most of the rewards are account wide.

And it's all free. You don't pay a dime for it.

I don't see why you wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    riverocean wrote: »
    I'm still shocked by the number of people complaining about Delta Recruit. Not only do you level fast but you get millions of energy credits, free purple gear, marks , photonic officer. a neat devices ,and some new traits.

And most of the rewards are account wide.

And it's all free. You don't pay a dime for it.

I don't see why you wouldn't do it.

Compared to other additions to the game, the complaining about Delta recruit is pretty low.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    One reason to roll a DR, even temporarily:

Because DR players will reserve the right to blame the non-DR players for not helping with the DR Progress Bar, and reserve the right to insult the non-DR players for expecting them to do all the work.

First Week reward is XP bonus; T1 grants 1.5x, T2 grants 2x, and T3 (which we're unlikely to reach before Thursday) grants 2.5x XP bonus.

Unknown what the subsequent week bonuses are and what the requirements will be.

Personally, I'm hoping week 2's reward will unlock replay of Featured Episodes for rare equipment (the Tiers unlocking more than 1 at one time or something). And that week 3's reward will unlock old CC/Mirror event gear/equipment (the higher the tier, the more available returning event projects).
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The reason I did it was to get the trait. I'm glad I did though, since it is kind of interesting as a setup for S10. There are also lots of benefits to doing it, a few million EC for the account bank, some DOFFs for the grinder, maybe get a Superior Operative BOFF for one of your real chars, and so forth. I probably would have still done it w/out the trait.

Ironic that the event is supposed to close the gap between new and established chars, but the day the event ends the gap will be even larger.

Cryptic did not need to include the trait. Its inclusion is the kind of casual destruction that's defined the game.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I do it for the reward. I do not plan to play it afterwards, too much alt unfriendliness in the late game.

Also, leveling the character is actually fun, since it is most of what makes the game nice, and avoid all the DR unpleasantness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The rewards are...interesting. And you have all the time in the world to get them. Just make a character with the free character slot Cryptic gave you, complete the tutorial, then run that alt at your own leisure. They will still be obtainable after the event ends. The only thing you lose is the dil per kill perk, which is so hilariously low it's not even a loss.

So there really is no excuse not to at least try for it, unless:

1. You have no access or time to a machine with the game installed on it for various real-life reasons.

2. You have refused out of pure spite.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    After I get this current recruit to 50 I will certainly be starting another one if only to see if I can get the random r&d doffs to do the other schools I nver got on the first one. That alone is good enough reason for me to do Delta recruits.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited April 2015

because cryptic really really needed a way to show the been counters that people still are still playing, and creating new characters, you know, the metrics.. that is the "only" reason delta recruits we dreamed up..
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Why should WE try to convince you to make a Delta Recruit?

What makes you think you are special?

Is Cryptic going to give us a unique prize if we talk you into making a DR?

As a matter of fact I did.

At first I was only going to make 1 for each faction, but I'm having so much fun I decided to go thru my Lowbies and remake them into DR's if I hadn't already gotten something unique on the character Like a C-store Boff or a cat. Or I'm keeping the character for sentimental reasons. (I have a KDF Rom I made before LoR 4 years ago that I never played after creating it when KDF characters were still auto-leveled to 21)

With the free slot we got with DR I have 37 characters. 10 of which are now Delta Recruits.

Some people aren't happy unless they have something to gripe about

special? me? What the heck are you talking about? :|
    I was essentially asking feedback on how people reacted to Delta Recruit, there's no need to be hostile, bah.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It is the best time to make new toons, and to have them ready enough for future special bonus weekends. Then, there's the rewards, boosts while leveling from global delta-recruit weekly progress, and interacting with and playing alongside other delta recruits that so far has been making the game feel new all over again. Once you make one, there won't be a time limit to meet all the goals, so they can be played leisurely.

Here's my story, if the OP can relate to it, to hopefully help ponder on whether to go for it or not. It will get confusing, but that's part of the story:

I consider 1 main toon (fed sci, first ever created) as the one who gets most of the goods simply because they have the most ships to fly. Then there's a Romulan and a KDF that are equally well equipped and otherwise on par with the fed-main.

Before that, I made another fed sci to double the Dil cap, but have since started really liking them after numerous attempts to adjust their appearance, and so equipped them with fleet ground gear, plus I like Bajorans and very lightly role play it when the chance arises.

The previous Rom-KDF tac was made to have access to the Rom DR ships and because I never thought I'd have the time to do more than contraband with them. Then I started missing my fleet on the fed side, so made a 2nd Rom tac, fed-aligned, which I now regard as a main.

The KDF tac was also originally for access to DR ships, which along with the Rom-kdf were leveled up real fast with those bonus XPs just before DR launched. I discovered a fleet on KDF that's been awesome, and so geared them well before realizing I can't be without a Sci there too, so out came the 2nd KDF, now at 59 waiting for the gold membership box to arrive for that respec token.

Somewhere in between there, during a bonus XP weekend event, a 3rd fed Sci was created, also stalled at L59 waiting for gold. Although each Fed has been of a different species that I like, along with the subtle differences in appearance and passive traits, this one does feel 'too much' and excessively redundant, although at the time it was fun leveling one more along with a friend 'just because.' I also used them for when the fleet would play STFs on normal, but soon found even that's not suitable even with fairly basic gear.

The current Delta Recruit was made a Sci Romulan-Fed in anticipation of a real Romulan science ship that would rely on many abilities and be a real challenge to fly. Surprisingly enough, for a 3rd Romulan character, they each still retain something unique about them in their physical appearance and mold automatically in a role-play perspective accordingly as the story progresses.

Now for the 9th character, and 2nd Delta recruit who hasn't yet been created, I decided literally on the last minute of the service sale to be a Joined Trill, quite likely Fed Tac because I don't have one (nevermind zero Engis with no desire to make any), and paired with gold membership should make for a good few respec tokens to experiment with. The decision is puzzling as I've never felt any affinity to the species, unlike all the others, but among the special C-store species this one felt the most compelling. I have no idea how they will turn out, what unique obstacles they will encounter to shape them in particular ways, and that makes it different from all the other toons worth exploring.

Yes, at this point it feels way overboard, especially given that I do like playing most of them, and plan on equipping the newer Rom & KDF Sci's on to be equally capable for both ground and space. Without most of them, however, it just wouldn't be complete.

The point of this long story is it's hard to predict ahead of time what the outcome will be of any one choice. Some toons will end up feeling redundant (3rd fed sci), while others might come to the forefront unexpectedly (2nd fed sci, Roms, KDF), along with glaring gaps that can only be filled by new toons (Sci KDF & Rom).
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿