test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Players And Advanced Queues: This Needs To End

styrkyrstyrkyr Member Posts: 1 Arc User
I'm a STO veteran of several years now. I've done my time as the moron who doesn't know what he's doing, who (unknowingly) costs the team the game, who has low DPS, etc. Bottom line, I've been there. But I looked at what I was doing, and I changed it. I am now routinely one of the top DPS dealers in each match.

Until Delta Recruitment was released on April 2nd.

Now, I can manage to drag a team to a win maybe 1/5 games (20% of the time for you non-nerds). You can kiss optional objectives goodbye. Forget ISA and KVA, no way that's happening.

This needs to stop.

New players: Everyone was new like you. Nobody else is better then you just because they have more/shinier/expensive gear. They all started off with nothing, like you. It's understandable that you want to work your way through the reputation ranks and get the gear. But please, for the love of god, stop joining advanced queues when you don't even know what you're doing on normal queues. Read a tutorial online, watch a youtube video, learn how to do it before you do it.

Devs: Please, for the love of all that is holy, put SOME KIND of gateway on the advanced and elite queues. Make the new players have to play through x amount of normal queues to unlock advanced, and x amount of advanced queues to unlock elites. Make them actually have to develop their skills and learn how to do something. Becoming better is just as rewarding.

And for those of you haters saying "play with your fleet", know that I do, as much as I am able. However, we are all working adults, and not all of us are available at all times. So please, don't just pass over this as a rant, take a minute and take it to heart.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't worry. It is being "fixed". Everyone is a winner as long as you show up.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Die you stupid horse!!!!! Die!!!!!!

If you are the "longtime veteran" you claim to be, you would know this topic has been beaten to death for years in the forum.

Obligatory " Don't PUG, form a team" remark inserted here.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    thejoker767thejoker767 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I totally agree , the advanced queues are way too accessible to any noob.

A ranking system where you could see the players rank / quit ratio / afk penalty would help greatly and i would love to see a kick option when voted by a majority in the queue

Im not against new players being able to be invited to a fleet event but free access when the dps of that player is like 250 is total bs.

Afk penalty needs to be brought up alot as well to get rid of moochers . A minimum of 10 percent of the total damage output should be instored so that trollers dont get any free joyrides anymore.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    styrkyr wrote: »
    Devs: Please, for the love of all that is holy, put SOME KIND of gateway on the advanced and elite queues. Make the new players have to play through x amount of normal queues to unlock advanced, and x amount of advanced queues to unlock elites. Make them actually have to develop their skills and learn how to do something.

You do realize that the normals we now have are easier than what they were before DR released, and back then they unlock at level 45. But now they unlock at level 50.

So just making players beat them x number of time will not teach them how to beat them when they are a cake walk for almost anyone at level 50.

That is like telling someone to toss a ball in the air, and hit it themselves x number of times, and then they can join the big league. Doesn't work that way. Wish it did though.

However, one of the things that would help out a lot is if they were to put Elite difficulty queues for those that have so good of DPS, and lower the Advance queues hp pools down to advance levels. Then you would have a high DPS difficulty you can do, and the ones that just want to get the stuff needed to do reps can have a difficulty they can do.

And with them bringing back the optionals, it will make it even better if they did this.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015

uh, its been a day...there shouldn't be any delta recruits in advanced STFs :confused:
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    uh, its been a day...there shouldn't be any delta recruits in advanced STFs :confused:

It doesn't take that long to get to 50...
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    <place epeen message here and then insult the new players for it>

youtube videos and reading on the mission doesnt give you half of what to expect playing such missions yourself, i know this quite well. some missions you wonder about that look quite off putting by reading and spoiling it, but it could actually be a lot more simplier then it looks. there is no way to know for sure if a player is ready or not for advanced, that doesnt give you any right to ignore the fact you were once a rookie player learning what it take to be the best, sometimes you have to take baby steps before you can put one foot in front of the other.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It doesn't take that long to get to 50...

...and here I was happy to have gotten to 11 so far. /shrug
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm a STO veteran of several years now. I've done my time as the moron who doesn't know what he's doing, who (unknowingly) costs the team the game, who has low DPS, etc. Bottom line, I've been there. But I looked at what I was doing, and I changed it. I am now routinely one of the top DPS dealers in each match.

Now, I can manage to drag a team to a win maybe 1/5 games (20% of the time for you non-nerds). You can kiss optional objectives goodbye. Forget ISA and KVA, no way that's happening.

This needs to stop.

New players: Everyone was new like you. Nobody else is better then you just because they have more/shinier/expensive gear. They all started off with nothing, like you. It's understandable that you want to work your way through the reputation ranks and get the gear. But please, for the love of god, stop joining advanced queues when you don't even know what you're doing on normal queues. Read a tutorial online, watch a youtube video, learn how to do it before you do it.

Devs: Please, for the love of all that is holy, put SOME KIND of gateway on the advanced and elite queues. Make the new players have to play through x amount of normal queues to unlock advanced, and x amount of advanced queues to unlock elites. Make them actually have to develop their skills and learn how to do something. Becoming better is just as rewarding.

And for those of you haters saying "play with your fleet", know that I do, as much as I am able. However, we are all working adults, and not all of us are available at all times. So please, don't just pass over this as a rant, take a minute and take it to heart.
    I totally agree , the advanced queues are way too accessible to any noob.

A ranking system where you could see the players rank / quit ratio / afk penalty would help greatly and i would love to see a kick option when voted by a majority in the queue

Im not against new players being able to be invited to a fleet event but free access when the dps of that player is like 250 is total bs.

Afk penalty needs to be brought up alot as well to get rid of moochers . A minimum of 10 percent of the total damage output should be instored so that trollers dont get any free joyrides anymore.

Low post counts - Check. Wrongful assumption someone can level from One to Fifty in twenty four hours or less - Check. Attempt to use language where it appears poster is 'on your side' while actually being demeaning - Check.

Yup, looks like yet another troll infestation is here.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,524 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I wish people would stop with the April Fools threads, the forum had enough noise already.

(a) Almost zero DRs are 50 yet

(b) One day of PUGs isn't a valid sample of the state of PUGging

(c) you're 133t, why are you slumming in Advanced PUGs?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

It takes less than a day to hit level 50 if you are running the Red Alerts as they come up, and doing it on Elite. That is unless they nerfed the xp rewards for levels 1-50.

Out of my 13 characters I had before, 5 of them were done in less than a day, without a bonus xp event before Delta Rising hit. Only took me about 1 million EC to buy the transwarps I needed. But that was stuff I sold along the way.

Still, the odds of the Advance queues being full of all new players in that short of time is very slim. Before March 2nd, there were still a lot of failures in the Advance queues. Only thing is now there are a few more players that have probably returned to the game to see what is happening.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2015

And here I almost forgot to courtesy m'lord.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    ...and here I was happy to have gotten to 11 so far. /shrug

Why shouldn't you be happy with what you've done? There are folks that have leveled so many toons they can just f-key blast their way through it all if they've got the spare time to do it. Doesn't mean everybody needs to do that. Folks should play through the missions how they want to play through - what's fun for them - what makes them happy.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Low post counts - Check. Wrongful assumption someone can level from One to Fifty in twenty four hours or less - Check. Attempt to use language where it appears poster is 'on your side' while actually being demeaning - Check.

What kills me in threads like this is the like minded never PM each other, form their own private que, and slap their epeens around together.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Why shouldn't you be happy with what you've done? There are folks that have leveled so many toons they can just f-key blast their way through it all if they've got the spare time to do it. Doesn't mean everybody needs to do that. Folks should play through the missions how they want to play through - what's fun for them - what makes them happy.

I completely agree with this.

The only reason I mentioned it can be done in less than 24 hours is because someone said it can't.

Since DR hit last year, I almost forgot how good it feels to progress like this. After I have made and burnt a bunch of characters during this event, I will probably leave this new character slot open just to make new characters, and delete them when I want the feeling of progression.

I missed this.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Want a giggle? Do a search for the OP's previous posts...then...try to match it up with the opening post for the thread. :D Heck, do the same for the other one you quoted. Not as much of a giggle, but well...explanatory, yes? :eek:
  • Options
    weaver936weaver936 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's too Soon to blame Delta Recruits... :D. Only a few (if any) are 50+ yet....
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    then any DR that can get to 50 in less than 24 hours is most likely not a noob and actually knows what they're doing.... I still don't see the problem
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    weaver936 wrote: »
    It's too Soon to blame Delta Recruits... :D. Only a few (if any) are 50+ yet....

This is it exactly.
  • Options
    gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    needs to end? in 5 years i've never joined one pve Q because of people like this (only the pvp ones)

but now it is time to show you how bad it can really get and start, and i hope others do the same
  • Options
    weaver936weaver936 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Also, if you don't like the Pugs then get a freaking Fleet... or at least 5-10 friends in game you can run with. THIS IS NOT A SINGLE PLAYER GAME... please stop whining that trying to play it like it is isn't working for you.
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm

This needs to stop.

You lost me at I'm zzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actually, a further thought occurred to me..... the people who have both the know-how and the persistence to uber-level a character to 50 in a day would likely be veterans.

Which means that they either 1) should know how to play, and therefore not be sucking in PuGs; or 2) are going to suck in PuGs no matter what, and would be doing it to the OP regardless of if it was a Delta character or an older alt.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Actually, a further thought occurred to me..... the people who have both the know-how and the persistence to uber-level a character to 50 in a day would likely be veterans.

Which means that they either 1) should know how to play, and therefore not be sucking in PuGs; or 2) are going to suck in PuGs no matter what, and would be doing it to the OP regardless of if it was a Delta character or an older alt.

One of my friends (I met in Defiance a few months ago) came to STO to try it out last week. He made it to level 50 in less than a day without spending any points, or teaming with someone to power level him.

He just left after getting to 50, and seeing what the gameplay was like there, and that it would take so long just to run the next episode in the DR story arc. Plus, all of the grind that is what he just did to go from level 1-50. I offered to help him with the grind, but he went back to Defiance to play.

But, the point is that you don't need to be a veteran in STO. In fact, Defiance was his first game, and he started about a month before I met him.

Different players have different skills. But leveling from 1-50 is very easy for some players, even on elite. Some will have a hard time on elite, and then others will go at the average pace when leveling. All depends on the game, and the individual's abilities.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    then any DR that can get to 50 in less than 24 hours is most likely not a noob and actually knows what they're doing.... I still don't see the problem

The problem is:
    "These new characters have 'TRIBBLE' gear and aren't as good as us 'elites'. Lock 'em out until they quit or are as uberl33t as us."

I've been playing since shortly before F2P. Maybe a month or so before. I don't get the epic numbers, I never have. But I don't want to just vaporize something by looking at it. I don't take this whole "DPS or GTFO" thing seriously. Most of these "Veterans" are probably running cookie cutter builds.

Me? I'll fly what I want, with what damage type I want. My hardest hitter right now is a Phased Biomatter build on my main. I also have a pretty decent Phased Tetryon build. Yea... I said it. Tetryon. :D

*shrug* So what if I'm not vaping things left and right like some of these "Veterans". And why are these "Veterans" haunting Advanced when they apparently have enough of the Deeps to tackle Elite?

I mean no disrespect to true veterans. I happen to be friends with several. But its people who decide to trash less experienced players without offering advice on how to improve besides "Learn2Play N00b" that I have a problem with.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    ...I also have a pretty decent Phased Tetryon build. Yea... I said it. Tetryon...
    I hear ya loud and clear, Rattler! I went all in on the Nukara Rep Set and Weapons. with my Rom ENG. In a FT5U Mogai. :eek: For weapons which "everyone knows aren't any good", I have no complaints about them.

Been playing since just after S6 went live. I am not what some people would consider a "true veteran". But I suppose I can muddle through until one shows up, lol.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The problem is:
    "These new characters have 'TRIBBLE' gear and aren't as good as us 'elites'. Lock 'em out until they quit or are as uberl33t as us."

I've been playing since shortly before F2P. Maybe a month or so before. I don't get the epic numbers, I never have. But I don't want to just vaporize something by looking at it. I don't take this whole "DPS or GTFO" thing seriously. Most of these "Veterans" are probably running cookie cutter builds.

Me? I'll fly what I want, with what damage type I want. My hardest hitter right now is a Phased Biomatter build on my main. I also have a pretty decent Phased Tetryon build. Yea... I said it. Tetryon. :D

*shrug* So what if I'm not vaping things left and right like some of these "Veterans". And why are these "Veterans" haunting Advanced when they apparently have enough of the Deeps to tackle Elite?

I mean no disrespect to true veterans. I happen to be friends with several. But its people who decide to trash less experienced players without offering advice on how to improve besides "Learn2Play N00b" that I have a problem with.

I'm a thematic type, personally, so I run all kinds of energy types.
    - Polaron and Transphasics on my Dominion and Breen ships
    - Plasma on my Romulans
    - Tetryon on my Catian Atrox
    - I'm a little more loose when it comes to Phasers and Disruptors, generally only when the ship has synergy with the type (Chimera, Guramba, Tempest, etc)

My main is a Wells Timeship rocking the temporal/antiproton build.
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    See Sig Quote. That's about the only thing I can honestly contribute which wouldn't be outright flaming the OP I have to admit.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm a STO veteran of several years now. I've done my time as the moron who doesn't know what he's doing, who (unknowingly) costs the team the game, who has low DPS, etc.

You do realise that, after this statement, the rest of your post makes you a total hypocrite who's getting pissy because new players are causing your STF's to fail?

What was so different when you were that new player? Why all of a sudden is it NOT ok to be the one to TRIBBLE it up? Because you're not the one TRIBBLE up I'd say...

Might this have something to do with the fact you are now a 'veteran STO player' who is too long in the tooth to remember what it's like to be new to the game?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    rmackiermackie Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited April 2015

This needs to stop.

Wow! Whine much...Entitlement issues much! Everyone in this game new, and vet players alike deserve the same respect. Now I know many vet players have created new characters for the Delta Recruit aspect of the game. I have been playing since Launch, and I have...now eventually that Character will hit level 50,and generally I will start to do the advanced queues with ships with nothing on them. Perhaps it is you that shouldnt be doing any pve queues with other players, if you can't be nice and respect them, and you know maybe instead of whining on the forums about them, maybe help some new players out. Don't know just a crazy idea
    Commanding Officer USS Intrepid

Commanding Officer USS Frontenac

Commanding Officer Enterprise NX-01