test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game freeze on in game videos

atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Graphical and Sound Issues
STO just hangs on a video exit (whether the video progressed fully or I pressed ESC). Consequently I can't play a Delta Recruit because I can't get past the stupid intro video.

My new character name is Harrison. I don't have the ticket ID number because the in game UI for listing your tickets doesn't show the ticket(s) I file.

Would it be possible to put him in the area right after the Intro Video so I can skip it?
Post edited by atatassault on

Comments

• limalinkslimalinks Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In a way it's good to know I'm not the only one having a problem with the Intro Video (or for that matter any bink video) in STO.

I've tried various things like the console commands -skipcutscene and also -console to see
    what's happening and I could see on the console it was after the video loaded and started playing... last entry in the log as the bink video starts to pay...

Initializing Bink... done

After that nothing... no output or keyboard input. Even tried "Safe Mode".. no joy..

so If anyone has any bright ideas, I'd be grateful if anyone could share any solutions.

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.videoCardName "NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT"
    PrefEntry SystemSpecs.VideoCardVendorID 4318

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.audioDriverName DirectSound
    PrefEntry SystemSpecs.audioDriverOutput "SB Audigy 2 Audio"
    PrefEntry SystemSpecs.audioDriverVersion 5.3.2600.5512

Kind Regards
    Limalinks (T'Ippex PCG Fleet)
    edited April 2015
    I found a workaround..

Not elegant workaround, but it seems to work.. to get you by the (intro) bink video hang.

- In your STO install directory, as Im using Steam I have it under (\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live), you will need to rename a file.

The file is binkw32.dll

If you start STO via the launcher and have renamed the binkw32.dll file out of the way before starting STO in this way, it appears the launcher will create a new binkw32.dll file. The way round this is to let the game launch normally and then Alt-Tab out and before logging into STO, rename the binkw32.dll file at that point.

In my testing, (via the -console command line parameter) I found that the binkw32.dll is called and fails and then you get put at the start of "Training Day" at the training Academy grounds. I found after loading, I couldnt move around the map.. so I logged out and then logged back in normally and withough the intro movie, the problem was worked around.

Note: Once at the academy there is a cutscene (i wont say as it might be a spoiler) which I think is another video (or might be a play back of a live scene) as with the renamed binkw32.dll file I cant see how STO is playing it... suffice to say this workaround allows you to skip the dodgy intro movie.

I'm not too sure at this point if its a screwed up intro or iscrewed up binkw32.dll, or f other bink videos will give the same hanging problem. I did have the same issue when Delta Quadrant launched and there was a cut-scene from the Dyson Sphere into the Delta Quadrant space but I think pressing the ESC key allowed me to advance to a point past the bink video. It's a shame that pressing the ESC key on the intro video doesnt allow you to skip it. (unless with latest update for the Delta Recruits screwed up the binkw32.dll).

Hope this helps you over the problem

Regards
    Limalinks (T'ippex @ PC Gamer Fleet)
  • doktormarengodoktormarengo Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks a lot limalinks!! I did finally get in.. but it didn't work at first. Because the game kept replacing the binkw32.dll file.

So I did things a little differently

- Launched and signed into STO.
    - Waited for all patches to finish
    - Opened my STO game folder and went into live.
    - Deleted the binkw32.dll file.
    - Clicked on Engage and started the game.

And it worked great.. cut scene skipped and I could get in.

It's also important to note = the game will replace the binkw32.dll every-time you start it. So that file has to be removed before you click the "Engage" button. Or else you will get stuck w/the cut scene when making a new character.

Hopefully this is a bug that Cryptic will address. Obviously there is something wrong with the binkw32.dll file.

I'm so glad someone figured this out.
  • stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    partial quote-
    limalinks wrote: »
    I found a workaround..

Not elegant workaround, but it seems to work.. to get you by the (intro) bink video hang.

- In your STO install directory, as Im using Steam I have it under (\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live), you will need to rename a file.

The file is binkw32.dll

If you start STO via the launcher and have renamed the binkw32.dll file out of the way before starting STO in this way, it appears the launcher will create a new binkw32.dll file. The way round this is to let the game launch normally and then Alt-Tab out and before logging into STO, rename the binkw32.dll file at that point.

Regards
    Limalinks (T'ippex @ PC Gamer Fleet)

This workaround worked for me... NICE JOB!...Thanks!
    (Especially where today's release notes don't even mention this problem as a known issue).
    Want something done right? You got to do it yourself, eh?
    Thanks again m8. Well done.
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    It's also important to note = the game will replace the binkw32.dll every-time you start it. So that file has to be removed before you click the "Engage" button. Or else you will get stuck w/the cut scene when making a new character.

Yep.. thats what I meant to say / tried to explain in my 4th paragraph. Glad I could be of help..

Regards
    Limalinks / T'ippex (PCG)
  • carlghostravencarlghostraven Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks a lot limalinks!! I did finally get in.. but it didn't work at first. Because the game kept replacing the binkw32.dll file.

So I did things a little differently

- Launched and signed into STO.
    - Waited for all patches to finish
    - Opened my STO game folder and went into live.
    - Deleted the binkw32.dll file.
    - Clicked on Engage and started the game.

And it worked great.. cut scene skipped and I could get in.

Hopefully this is a bug that Cryptic will address. Obviously there is something wrong with the binkw32.dll file.

I'm so glad someone figured this out.

i tried that and it didnt work for me it wouldnt let me login kept saying connection time out now im reinstalling the game
    edited April 2015
    Hi Everyone..

The support ticket I raised with ARC-Support (STO) about a week or so ago, got an update back from Support - details quoted below... so they knew about this but checking the latest release notes (as stevencheryl did) - nothing in there saying this was a known issue..

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

I can confirm that we are already aware of this particular issue. While we understand the need for a fast resolution, some issues require further action from departments outside our control. Please rest assured that our developers work to resolve all bugs as quickly as possible.

You can also check the most recent release notes here: https://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/tag/sto-patch-notes

We appreciate your patience and understanding while we investigate and resolve this matter.

Regards,
    Eypreel
    Game Master
    Perfect World Entertainment
    http://support.arcgames.com/

Lets hope the developers fix this issue soon as I don't want to be TRIBBLE around with dll files again :)

Regards
    Limalinks (a.k.a T'Ippex - Fleet Admiral - PG Gamer Fleet (PCG) )
  • balranbalran Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've been running into this as well. But doesn't happen on all videos. I made a new Romulan Delta Recruit and it worked fine. When I made a Fed Delta Recruit, it froze.
  • archangelmortenarchangelmorten Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    limalinks wrote: »
    Hi Everyone..

The support ticket I raised with ARC-Support (STO) about a week or so ago, got an update back from Support - details quoted below... so they knew about this but checking the latest release notes (as stevencheryl did) - nothing in there saying this was a known issue..

Lets hope the developers fix this issue soon as I don't want to be TRIBBLE around with dll files again :)

Regards
    Limalinks (a.k.a T'Ippex - Fleet Admiral - PG Gamer Fleet (PCG) )

I got a similar reply when I sent in my support ticket.