test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online NOT FEDERATION ONLINE

icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Klingon Discussion
the game is supposed to be Star trek online Not the Federation online.

so yeah i know the series primary focus was on a particular vessel and its crew (ds9 had to get the Defiant and Worf to stay on the air ) but the programs and movies would have been nothing without the interaction with the alien species.

We kdf plays are the aliens but whe shouldn't always get the short end of the stick as even in the shows its know the KDF was and has always been a formidable Enemy and a valued ally when the $hit hit$ the fan.

and janeway had to steal the only known time travel device from who? a Klingon. so much for ignorant backward space vikings.
Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    icsairguns wrote: »

so yeah i know the series primary focus was on a particular vessel and its crew (ds9 had to get the Defiant and Worf to stay on the air ) but the programs and movies would have been nothing without the interaction with the alien species.

We kdf plays are the aliens but whe shouldn't always get the short end of the stick as even in the shows its know the KDF was and has always been a formidable Enemy and a valued ally when the $hit hit$ the fan.

and janeway had to steal the only known time travel device from who? a Klingon. so much for ignorant backward space vikings.

You kind of made an argument against supporting anything other than Federation. We never had a movie or tv show that focused solely on Klingons (or any other species for that matter). An Argument could be made that Worf was a major focus, but he was still Federation, and clearly Klingons changed vastly from year to year and plot device to plot device, which is just what Klingons always were: a plot device. A Formidable ENEMY and a valued ALLY of the Protagonist is an NPC in a game world, not the focus of the game. It'd be like saying a Zelda MMO would be required to have Villain playable races because they were an integral part of the story. I know, I want to focus on the Koopas in MarioWorld MMO!
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Any multi-faction game that heavily supports one faction over the other is a failure at multi-faction gaming.

No way to sugar coat it.
  • darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While the OP phrased his post pretty badly (English may not be his first language), he makes a good point. The KDF specifically gets crapped on pretty well constantly. People who play Romulans like to complain they don't get much, but the Scimitar is considered easily the best ship in the game. Feds get everything handed to them on a silver platter. We get the leftovers. We're the after thought. Because of the fact that people have the wrong idea of Klingons (primitive space vikings), they don't care to play one. People forget, the Vikings were the most feared and inventive people in Europe.
  • mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    Any multi-faction game that heavily supports one faction over the other is a failure at multi-faction gaming.

No way to sugar coat it.

Yeah, the STO Devs are largely negligent in their duty to develop all factions to equalness. Proper dev actions when one faction is so insanely popular compared to the others is to focus efforts on drawing players to the underused factions. STAR TREK ONLINE IS NOT STAR TREK THE SHOW! You cannot focus on one side of a multifaction game and be surprised when your whole game suffers becuase everyone and everything is the same.

If anything, the KDF (to a similar measure the RRF) NEED to be the focus of development efforts, new ships, faction unique events and missions, more costumes, more races...

If the "Fed-KDF War was ended so we could neglect the KDF" viewpoint is widespread among the devs and not just Geko, then STO will not be here long. The Dyson Spheres and Iconians is already STO's "Jumping the Shark" moment...
  • kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actually it was the last exec producer that was playing favorites. Lukily that moron is gone now and we have a new exec producer that has actually acknowledged the other factions.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well part of the problem is that no other faction in the franchise had as many different kinds of ships so that puts us down unless they do what they have done and make up their own which is not hard to do and very well liked when it comes to Klingon ships.

The other edge of the sword is still that rush to get the game going 5 years ago and the melee type weapons which highly defined the KDF as well as large weapons and pretty much a lot of canon federation weapons due to bugs, glitches, and other TRIBBLE carried along for 5 years without any work being done to it they just don't make that content. I am sure ppl would love to have actual canon TNG and Voyager rifles and KDF to have disruptor pistols that look klingon and not look like a copy and pasted sniper rifle. Not to mention mek'leth and all of those other types of Klingon ritual melee weapons and such that are not in the game.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well I'm seeing extraordinary levels of parity lately (for STO circumistances), so I'm still willing to cut the new EP some slack and give him time to see what Crpytic under his command ends up producing.

I don't know under whose watch the implementation of certain features lately has come, but the fact is that I don't remember when was the last time in STO that 4 KDF ships have been released in the timespan of a month. Plus 2 KDF themed PvE queues. I'm willing to bet on another KDF ship in 1.5 - 2 months when pilot spec launches.

They seem to be doing stuff the right way lately. They're slowly removing failoptionals that killed the queues. They added rewards across the board. The 'Delta Recruit' thing didn't obsolete old chars as people feared - they even eradicated the feeling of grind that would have been attached to it by being able to complete the special tasks whenever, even after the event, as long as you finish the tutorial during the event. Hell, they actually released a good Galaxy Class and fixed the outdated ship model. :eek: And added a new ship model to the Negh'var Class for free that can be used by all Negh'vars without having to purchase some model. :eek: I think this is only the second time that has happened since the game went F2P.

New EP seems to have his heart and mind in the right place. At least from what I'm seeing for now. This past month the game has been the least 'Federation Online' than ever before, IMHO.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Star Trek was never about anything but Federation ships, with Federation crews, doing stupid stuff in the name of the Federation. Be happy the Devs gave you the ability to play other factions at all...
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    Star Trek was never about anything but Federation ships, with Federation crews, doing stupid stuff in the name of the Federation. Be happy the Devs gave you the ability to play other factions at all...

Of course a good deal about that was money, a whole series with kdf makeup for the cast?:eek::eek::eek::eek: The romulans would not be much better, that is the major reason more unusual aliens were not in tos, and why no shows even centered around other alien crews in the federation. The truth is the shows/movies were not just fed centered but human centered (how many main captains/commanders (sisko) were not earth born?That is what this all boils down to, has nothing to do with love of the federation, but rather what is good for the bottom line, humans are cheap, even constant ears cost money,and foreheads are extra as well.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
    edited April 2015

Completely and totally irrelevant. I'm surprised you can't see that.
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Pretty much this.

Lord of the Rings Online has PvP, in the form of Player vs Monster. See, the "Red" side in that is restricted to 1 map, period.

It would be like if the KDF could only play in Ker'rat for-ev-er, and they're not even allowed access to the same character generator that the Free Peoples are. They have to pay for any new character skin they want to use.

How many KDF would we see if you start in the regular KDF uniform, and had to pay a butt-load of PvP merits to unlock a new skin, which is only available when you level up, and you could still only level up in Ker'rat. No Pre-Mades or anything, just Ker'rat, and the skin wasn't customizable, it was a pre-set skin chosen by the devs.

Guess what, it's still called Lord of the Rings Online, not Free Peoples Online, but the monster-side doesn't have even a singular story mission, even though the Orcs, Spiders, Wargs, and Uruk-hai were indeed central to the story of Lord of the Rings.

And they complain less than the KDF do in this game, still having that 1 map vs entire story content.
    edited April 2015
    Pretty much this.

Lord of the Rings Online has PvP, in the form of Player vs Monster. See, the "Red" side in that is restricted to 1 map, period.

It would be like if the KDF could only play in Ker'rat for-ev-er, and they're not even allowed access to the same character generator that the Free Peoples are. They have to pay for any new character skin they want to use.

How many KDF would we see if you start in the regular KDF uniform, and had to pay a butt-load of PvP merits to unlock a new skin, which is only available when you level up, and you could still only level up in Ker'rat. No Pre-Mades or anything, just Ker'rat, and the skin wasn't customizable, it was a pre-set skin chosen by the devs.

Guess what, it's still called Lord of the Rings Online, not Free Peoples Online, but the monster-side doesn't have even a singular story mission, even though the Orcs, Spiders, Wargs, and Uruk-hai were indeed central to the story of Lord of the Rings.

And they complain less than the KDF do in this game, still having that 1 map vs entire story content.

When you see Star Trek costumes made for conventions or whatever, how many are Klingon?

How many Vulcan (or other Federation race) translation tools are available, vs Klingon?

When people mention someone being a "Star Trek nerd," how often does it involve something Klingon?

It boggles my mind that could even be an argument for heavily favoring one faction in a 2 faction game. Not only are you shooting yourself in the foot (missing potential money for one side), but you're not even doing it right. If it's dual-faction, make 2 factions- not one big one, and have another one just to say that you did it.

Meh, maybe it's just me.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    Well I'm seeing extraordinary levels of parity lately (for STO circumistances), so I'm still willing to cut the new EP some slack and give him time to see what Crpytic under his command ends up producing.

I don't know under whose watch the implementation of certain features lately has come, but the fact is that I don't remember when was the last time in STO that 4 KDF ships have been released in the timespan of a month. Plus 2 KDF themed PvE queues. I'm willing to bet on another KDF ship in 1.5 - 2 months when pilot spec launches.

They seem to be doing stuff the right way lately. They're slowly removing failoptionals that killed the queues. They added rewards across the board. The 'Delta Recruit' thing didn't obsolete old chars as people feared - they even eradicated the feeling of grind that would have been attached to it by being able to complete the special tasks whenever, even after the event, as long as you finish the tutorial during the event. Hell, they actually released a good Galaxy Class and fixed the outdated ship model. :eek: And added a new ship model to the Negh'var Class for free that can be used by all Negh'vars without having to purchase some model. :eek: I think this is only the second time that has happened since the game went F2P.

New EP seems to have his heart and mind in the right place. At least from what I'm seeing for now. This past month the game has been the least 'Federation Online' than ever before, IMHO.

yeah they are moving right along for the feds. the way so many are staining their panties ove the galaxy finally getting what they wanted.

and sure kdf will probably get another ship in a short time with some new boff seating and it will be another gimped copy paste of some federation and romulan versions who will also get a new ship at the same time , that will undoubtedly outperform the kdf in nearly every way.

Well part of the problem is that no other faction in the franchise had as many different kinds of ships so that puts us down unless they do what they have done and make up their own which is not hard to do and very well liked when it comes to Klingon ships.

The other edge of the sword is still that rush to get the game going 5 years ago and the melee type weapons which highly defined the KDF as well as large weapons and pretty much a lot of canon federation weapons due to bugs, glitches, and other TRIBBLE carried along for 5 years without any work being done to it they just don't make that content. I am sure ppl would love to have actual canon TNG and Voyager rifles and KDF to have disruptor pistols that look klingon and not look like a copy and pasted sniper rifle. Not to mention mek'leth and all of those other types of Klingon ritual melee weapons and such that are not in the game.

im not asking for the same amount as the feds hell we all know they love the shinny stuff that fine. but comparable or balanced ships would be nice. feds get raiders now we still do have ours updated and that was our schtick. and the ground weapons and long coat. ...

hell a working tailor out fit slots that were bought and paid for would even be nice. its not jsut ships its treatment in general.

did you ever watch DS9? cardassian station fed commander bajoran 2nd and assorted officers like odo who was never federation. quarks bar? yeah feds were primary but this a multi faction game not a tv show.

edited April 2015
    Pretty much this.

in game where that is just how it is is one thing, its not a truly multi faction game . this is supposed to be and its not. but much of what you described sounded allot like the kdf side in the past. used to have to be lvl 25 for a klingon. OR back when PvP was the ONLY way to lvl up and still as of today only ONE costume in the c store that is KDF ONLY and its not even a canon costume.

basically if your not going to support it don't waste your time or mine.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is a nice sound byte, but Star Trek is not "All Races are Focused On Equally" type of setting. It always focused on the Federation, or more specifically, Star Fleet, with a strong focus on human characters. DS9 might have been the most diverse show (basically, only 3 of the main characters are actually humans), but even there, the focus is obvious.

The real important thing for Star Trek Online is that it is supposed to have 3 factions. That is the basis for your argument that factions most be treated equally.

But... what use it is if the players treat one faction favorably? If more people want to play Starfleet then what business sense would it make to ignore that?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited April 2015
    This is a nice sound byte, but Star Trek is not "All Races are Focused On Equally" type of setting. It always focused on the Federation, or more specifically, Star Fleet, with a strong focus on human characters. DS9 might have been the most diverse show (basically, only 3 of the main characters are actually humans), but even there, the focus is obvious.

The real important thing for Star Trek Online is that it is supposed to have 3 factions. That is the basis for your argument that factions most be treated equally.

But... what use it is if the players treat one faction favorably? If more people want to play Starfleet then what business sense would it make to ignore that?

ok you want to get into business sense well if they made vary favorable conditions for the other factions that are a balance or synergy with another faction they will make more sales.

the way it is now the PvE is still so easy anybody can still do it solo, with qued missions a little harder and then advanced /elite ques harder still.

i never wanted a million new ship a week for KDF just unique to faction gear, ground and space. and powers. i mean hell for all the good it does a Klingon might as well not even have lt commander science boffs ( yes sarcastic here not serious ) because we have a handful of ships that use them and commander lvl sci skills even less.

some things like our flood of battle cruisers and now they are all just copy paste fed ships. but as the warrior species why is kdf bound to the same build model as the feds. if it were up to me id drop the commander engineering boff power on most of our battle cruisers and put it into a tactical, that would then using cryptics own rules would open up 5 tac consoles on many of the Klingon war ships. just count the number difference in ships with 5 tac consoles . between the supposed explorers vrs the supposed Warriors. it way out of balance.

but this is like beating my head against a wall. kdf players can see the issue and comprehend the argument. but fed players cant seem to separate gameplay from the trek writers scripts.

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited April 2015

No way to sugar coat it.

STO is not a multi-faction MMO. It was planned to be one but this notion was ultimately abandoned. The lead designer even said the infamous words: "We ended the war between the Federation and Klingons so wo don't have to evelop Klingon-exclusive content any more" (sic!).

So, officially the multi-faction aspect has been abandoned.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think you guys saying 'an MMO with improperly-developed multi-factions is a failure' are reaching too high - as stated numerous times, ST (and many of it's previous games) focused on the Federation. They had all the good stuff, and the other races were thrown bones now and then

The fact that we're allowed to play other factions at all, with so much new stuff expanding on the iconic, is more than we could have asked for. Yes, we're allowed to keep asking for more, but we have to be realistic about the demand + expectations
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When you see Star Trek costumes made for conventions or whatever, how many are Klingon?

How many Vulcan (or other Federation race) translation tools are available, vs Klingon?

When people mention someone being a "Star Trek nerd," how often does it involve something Klingon?

It boggles my mind that could even be an argument for heavily favoring one faction in a 2 faction game. Not only are you shooting yourself in the foot (missing potential money for one side), but you're not even doing it right. If it's dual-faction, make 2 factions- not one big one, and have another one just to say that you did it.

Meh, maybe it's just me.
    Hmmm... lets see what the mighty Taconian one has to say here. :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nduguid/sets/

I don't see any Klingons yet... But I do see an Aenar and an Orion.

maybe here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nduguid/sets/72157646385575245/

Nope... lots of random Starfleet uniforms... and a Bajoran.

Well I'm out of time, maybe later.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    but this is like beating my head against a wall. kdf players can see the issue and comprehend the argument. but fed players cant seem to separate gameplay from the trek writers scripts.

You just resumed in one sentence the heart of the problem!
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    STO is not a multi-faction MMO. It was planned to be one but this notion was ultimately abandoned. The lead designer even said the infamous words: "We ended the war between the Federation and Klingons so wo don't have to evelop Klingon-exclusive content any more" (sic!).

So, officially the multi-faction aspect has been abandoned.

What is even worse is that the original intent was to have more than 2 faction. I still remember when the other company (can't remember the name) was developping STO there were supposed to be 4 factions: FED, KDF, Romulan and Cardassian. The Collector's Edition booklet even has most of the original artwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjN29SVSN0U
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am afraid my KDF tactical toon and KDF science toon will never see a T6 BoP / T6 science vessel.

A "raider" can be made for both the KDF and Romulan. I will even accept a carbon copy of the T6 Federation Intel Phantom.

I would also take a carbon copy of the T6 Pathfinder as well for a KDF (and Romulan) science vessel.
  • darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited April 2015

This is likely one of the most stupid comments anyone can make. The original booklet for STO clearly shows 4 Factions. That means 4 playable and supported factions were promised to the playerbase. Technically, by never making the cardassians and releasing their best ship in a lockbox instead, and my severely under supporting the KDF, craptastic is TECHNICALLY liable for false advertisement.

On the other hand, we don't go that route because we'd rather challenge the Devs in hand to hand combat.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is likely one of the most stupid comments anyone can make. The original booklet for STO clearly shows 4 Factions. That means 4 playable and supported factions were promised to the playerbase. Technically, by never making the cardassians and releasing their best ship in a lockbox instead, and my severely under supporting the KDF, craptastic is TECHNICALLY liable for false advertisement.

On the other hand, we don't go that route because we'd rather challenge the Devs in hand to hand combat.

You clearly didn't read my post. I was talking about the television and movie franchise, Star Trek. I wasn't talking about the game, just the source canon from which the game bases its content.

Anyway, show me a Star Trek series about a Klingon crew, doing stupid stuff in the name of the empire, in a Klingon ship, and I'd say you have something here. Otherwise, let me repeat myself, be happy you can play any other faction than the Federation at all.

PvP is dead, the war is over, the "faction" gets about as much content and dev attention as there are KDF players. If you really think the devs intend for this to be a true multi-faction game then I have a bridge to sell you.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    patrickngo wrote: »
    16 plus 11 is 37.

Mahna Mahna.... :o:D

Shaka, when the mats went wrong! :o:D

*Not disagreeing with your post and this doesn't change the point in it which still stands even with the right numbers, just those numbers are a bit different*
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    what shpoks said...16 + 11 = 27, not 37
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • machel84machel84 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2015

No way to sugar coat it.

This right here.

The way Cryptic has treated KDF (versus Starfleet) over the years, would be like Blizzard putting all of their development time on Alliance, and completely ignoring the Horde. Factions in that game are treated EQUALLY, as well they should in STO. For this reason alone, I created my Delta Recruit as part of the KDF (to augment # of KDF players for the duration of this event). I doubt it will do any good to the number-crunchers upstairs at PWE, but one could hope.

Season 10 appears to be focused solely on revamping Sector Space (and yes, this is sorely needed). But where's the so-called love for the KDF, which has been promised again and again, by multiple Executive Producers, and by Al "Capt take it up the TRIBBLE" Geko ? Seems the KDF development keeps getting put on the backburner again and again. One wonders if the devs at Cryptic even know there's a KDF faction at this point.
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    what shpoks said...16 + 11 = 27, not 37

Oh, what joy you found the easter egg
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hmm so this argument again? How many series and movies were based on the Klingon Empire again? How much material? oh thats right.. 0 zip zilch nadda none at all period... Star Trek HAS ALWAYS been the Feds period. Feel lucky the other factions exist at all, I am.. I have played every faction and career all the way through (/11 chars) I love the diversity provided, yes the other 2 factions could surely use more but NEVER were they any focus in any show or movie. The Devs are working with limited resources by comparison to the vast amounts of material provided for Feds and then the player base - MOSTLY Feds... Fork over a few hundred thousand to millions of dollars for ONLY KDF development or your argument is invalid (or raise several tens of millions and make KDFOnline - if CBS will license you)
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kamuii2 wrote: »
    Actually it was the last exec producer that was playing favorites. Lukily that moron is gone now and we have a new exec producer that has actually acknowledged the other factions.

Dan Stahl was just as bad if not worse. How many years did he run it and made promise after promise, admitted he hated the Klingons and so on? We've had a bad run with EP who actually see the game as a business rather that their own personal play thing.

I am hoping this new EP will make the game more equal and those dev's who share the same mis-guided and arrogant view point as Stahl get sorted out or sacked.

The simple fact is, Trek is more about the Federation, even the cross fation missions are written from a Federation outlook, they need to have new dialogue written so they made sense for each faction. Even the DR missions feel so Federation. A klingon wouldn't running around collecting spices for a Talaxian cook, that is something a Federation officer would do. The KDF should be helping repel a Kazon invasion of the asteroid colony, strengthening defenses, recruiting Talaxian's to help in defensing their asteroid or something.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!