Install Arc

STO REBIRTH - amazingly good.

Comments

• umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Beware Science Ships and their Viral Matrix. :D
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is literally the best thing to ever happen to the game.

As Zephram Cochrane so famously said, "that'll do, pig."

This is the turning point we all hoped for, it's really just so.good.

Winner for most vague post of the month!

What is this "this" you speak of. :rolleyes:
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    STF's that took hours......

Being able to max level even faster

the genesis random map creator that was a failure

Diplomacy that equaled giving them 50 of some commodity

Soo many types of marks

Prototype consoles

Waiting for an npc to flip a coin

yeah, I was there, I should know...they would never do this

Eq1 was able to do this very well....I enjoyed it immensely
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • vonednavonedna Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    adabisi wrote: »
    STF's that took hours......

Being able to max level even faster

the genesis random map creator that was a failure

Diplomacy that equaled giving them 50 of some commodity

Soo many types of marks

Prototype consoles

Waiting for an npc to flip a coin

yeah, I was there, I should know...they would never do this

Eq1 was able to do this very well....I enjoyed it immensely

never get to max level
    so many types of curencies (checks omega marks ,delta ,tholian ,etc)
    ships consoles and clickies
    waiting for random chance to upgrade

yeah I was there....reason I nolonger have main STO installed.

would love a way to spend money on Redshirt to show my support for a good game.
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    this forum community is so atrocious, the announcement thread is chock full of angry rants and raving at how cryptic pulled a lame april 1st joke and redshirt revert was something they wanted all along blah blah blah.

and yet its real. No 'thanks cryptic' but plenty of 'this game sucks now'

awful reading.
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    vhiranikos wrote: »
    this forum community is so atrocious, the announcement thread is chock full of angry rants and raving at how cryptic pulled a lame april 1st joke and redshirt revert was something they wanted all along blah blah blah.

and yet its real. No 'thanks cryptic' but plenty of 'this game sucks now'

awful reading.

I would say, "You must be new," but by your join date, I'm newer than you.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would say, "You must be new," but by your join date, I'm newer than you.

the badness must be vocally acknowledged now and then.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yea it was pretty obvious that a lot of posters did not read the blog at all. The April fools joke was the retireing holodeck, the surprise, and I consider it an awesome one is the reverting Red shirt to vanilla release STO.

it really wasn't getting a whole lotta use anyway. Good idea! Let people see what was. That first year of STO was rugged.. let folks see where the game came from.. it does still bother me a great deal that even now today the KDF faction still has less content then what the Fed faction started with. Don't belive me? Go play on red shirt!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • vonednavonedna Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yea it was pretty obvious that a lot of posters did not read the blog at all. The April fools joke was the retireing holodeck, the surprise, and I consider it an awesome one is the reverting Red shirt to vanilla release STO.

it really wasn't getting a whole lotta use anyway. Good idea! Let people see what was. That first year of STO was rugged.. let folks see where the game came from.. it does still bother me a great deal that even now today the KDF faction still has less content then what the Fed faction started with. Don't belive me? Go play on red shirt!

yea but how is that even a april joke....its not a joke ,people want to play that game.

It's actually live on our Redshirt server right now. We were serious.

thank you for this .Hope it will last so i can play abit the game I bought and beta tested back in 2009.
  • djmarr1964djmarr1964 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    if the holodeck server is going then what will happen to all the characters that players have on it and what will happen to all the lifetime ppl who play the game and those that are gonna try out this new delta recruitment system
    The True King In The North
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My first char is gonna be an alien fed tac.… see you in game :D
    P58WJe7.jpg

• aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Season 1.2 is the one true version of Star Trek Online, all others are just pale imitations (or pale precursors). [/PvP Nostalgician]

QFT .... [STF Veteran] .
    Just shove me into an Excelsior or a fall apart at the seems Bop and let me disappear for an hour or two into Infected or Cure ... .
    (and yes, Excelsior VS Bop PVP was pretty awesome too ... -- as the rest were just moving objects of no consequence ...:D )

We even have new old new graphics that are FULLY optimized to support 3D models! In real time!

OK, I give ... -- just how broken is it this time?

... at least prior to LoR I was able to play STO on my rickety laptop ...
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    adabisi wrote: »
    STF's that took hours...... Post DR they never complete due to empty queues and fail-optionals

Being able to max level even faster Post DR you will never get to max level as the skill points required to fill your spec trees is absurd

the genesis random map creator that was a failure Now we don't have any exploration in a Star Trek game and content is getting removed faster than it is added...

Diplomacy that equaled giving them 50 of some commodity How is filling sliders on Rep or sending off R&D any different?

Soo many types of marks No change here... in fact its probably even worse - at least with marks/emblems they were restricted to levels, now we have all sorts of rep marks of 101 different flavours

Prototype consoles Pay - to - win consoles

Waiting for an npc to flip a coin Waiting for RNG to give you a lockbox jackpot or a rarity increase in upgrading - which is FAR worse

Well I know which game I would rather be playing - 5 out of 7 Gb patched so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    QFT .... [STF Veteran] .
    Just shove me into an Excelsior or a fall apart at the seems Bop and let me disappear for an hour or two into Infected or Cure ... .
    Excelsior? I don't think it will make it into Star Trek Online. Isn't it like a century old? Completely ridicilous. Even it was implemented, it would probably be Tier 3. It would be hopeless against the Borg.
    [/Forumposting like it's 2010 again]
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why do people obsess over 1.2? It was extremely casual back then. :(
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Now this is pretty epic!

It was a 10GB download, but it was totally worth it.

The nostalgia is strong with this one....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    vonedna wrote: »
    yea but how is that even a april joke....its not a joke ,people want to play that game.

You still can. Except for the exploration cluster, that was removed.
    How to do that ?

-Don't use any ships, console or items that were created after 1.2
    -Don't do any story mission on the KDF side.
    -Don't play Romulan
    -Don't use the R&D, or any R&D items
    -Don't use the rep, and any event reward
    -Don't play any DR content
    -Don't use any spec point.
    -Don't play any STF, and only a handful of queued content, that existed during 1.2. Perhaps some were removed, but I'm not even sure, I think terradome came later for example.
    -Don't DOFF
    -Don't use your fleet starbase, or any fleet holding related stuff
    -Skill tree was changed. But you can stick to a single weapon damage type for the rest of the game, and pretend you skilled in this damage type.
    -Don't play any shuttle content, or use any shuttle.

I think that pretty much cover up. You'll miss a few stuff that was removed or changed, but as long as you don't play any event, trash every lockbox, and carefully avoid most of the content, you'll play 1.2.

As for PvP, I'm sure you can create a chan (if it doesn't exist yet) for people that want to play the 1.2 pvp, with the proper restrictions. Which is basically play the "all the Klingons cloak and wait for a fed to be alone" pvp game.
    zathri83 wrote: »
    Why do people obsess over 1.2? It was extremely casual back then. :(
    Because people always see the past with rose tainted glasses. The reasons why SWG was an awesome game nobody played.
    Or Camelot (seriously, DA*C is censored ?) is the best game ever, by people not playing it anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    erei1 wrote: »

So you do really prefer the current state of the game??? What is wrong with you guys?
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Sorry for the double thread post ... I tried to patch and run the redshirt and I got error 15105 ... anyone knows why and/or what should I do? thx ...
    P58WJe7.jpg

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    So you do really prefer the current state of the game??? What is wrong with you guys?
    Compared to Launch? Yeah, 1000 times better.

There were just as many bugs at Launch as there are now. People were constantly falling through maps and Boff routing paths sucked so they were constantly running off cliffs and into fires. People would beam into space as their character or beam to the ground as their ship.

XP was so slow that you had to do EVERYTHING whether you wanted to do it or not, some multiple times, just to get enough XP to get to the next mission. So you had to do all the Story Missions, and all the Patrols, and then grind through DSEs and multiple sessions of Exploration missions just to get enough XP to unlock the next Story Mission.

And people forget that when the STFs were added the DPS need was set so high by Gozer that the average player could not get through them. They were effectively for the high DPS club - much like Elite content today. Gozer had to rework the STFs 3 times.

Klingons only had PvP. There were no Romulans. No Doffs. Saurian Boffs with the Efficient Trait were selling for 25-40 million ECs. End-game consisted of doing the same handful of STFs over and over and over with no diversity at all.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Yes, really. And if you really needed to play the old game for a while, you realize how many negative aspects it has.

Beam Fire At Will was bugged. Beam overload completely disabled a beam array. Emergency Power skills had marginal impact, Auxilliary to X skills were useless (and not just in the "We need DPS way"). Transfer Shield Strenght didn't work right. Polarize Hull was minmally useful.

The canon-based ships like the Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant or Sovereign were poorly modeled with often incredible inaccuracies.

The skill system locked you into your ship and energy type choice, and you could't even respec.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I hate what they did with DR, but quite frankly, it's still better than what the game used to be back then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Excelsior? I don't think it will make it into Star Trek Online. Isn't it like a century old? Completely ridicilous. Even it was implemented, it would probably be Tier 3. It would be hopeless against the Borg.
    [/Forumposting like it's 2010 again]

Heh ... , funny but as it took me about 4-6 months to level my first toon (I literally flown / walked around empty maps just to immerse myself in the pretty & alien and to soak it all in as this is my first MMO) -- thus I actually missed a lot of the going one on the forums in the first year .

I had STO, I had STOked (and RSA & P1 with Branflakes & the Scottish guy) , and the nerdy part of life was kinda perfect . :)

Thus while I can understand that Cryptic might want to remove "Rebirth" so it does not cut into their profits during Delta Recruitment -- I really hope they pull a "Rebirth 2.0" sometime in the future, complete with the 4 old STF's and the simple PVP that many vets enjoyed .

... I'm not sure if that is Season 1.2, but ultimately that is what I think would make ppl happy ... -- well that and a LFT chat channel that could be seen / heard across Holodeck & Redshirt ...
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, really. And if you really needed to play the old game for a while, you realize how many negative aspects it has.

Beam Fire At Will was bugged. Beam overload completely disabled a beam array. Emergency Power skills had marginal impact, Auxilliary to X skills were useless (and not just in the "We need DPS way"). Transfer Shield Strenght didn't work right. Polarize Hull was minmally useful.

The canon-based ships like the Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant or Sovereign were poorly modeled with often incredible inaccuracies.

The skill system locked you into your ship and energy type choice, and you could't even respec.

Not to mention that the placement of Polaron and Antiproton energy skills at the admiral level meant those energy types were virtually unuseable, definitely too much of a point investment to be competitive.

If the developers purpose was to tear away the nostalgia goggles or to get people to appreciate the game in its current state, then this beta server optional is genius.
  • lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    erei1 wrote: »

Because people always see the past with rose tainted glasses. The reasons why SWG was an awesome game nobody played.
    Or Camelot (seriously, DA*C is censored ?) is the best game ever, by people not playing it anymore.

Hey SWG was good...if you exclude the bugs :P There will almost never be another game where you can craft a perfect armor...:D
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, the Redshirt button is gone from the launcher, guess that means no more STO v1.2.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • jeffreyj69jeffreyj69 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    when STO-Rebirth says, "they are wiping the server and starting over from the original build", does this mean that ALL MY CHARACTORS are being wiped out and I have to rebuild all of them from scratch? :(
  • sillett131#8260 sillett131 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Druk.. I love you