test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, can something please be done with Dilithium Ore.

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
I'm sure there are many like myself that have mountains of Dilithium Ore.
Because of this ridiculous restriction on refining, the Ore is as about as much use as a chocolate teapot. You can not use it for anything, or even split it up between alts.
I have over a thousand of those ancient power cells, which i can not spend on anything, and as theres no point in converting that or other currency to dilithium ore.
Unless making the ore mountain even bigger.
I know its asking alot, But can there please be alternative uses for dilithium ore?
Increase the refining limit to help us lower the mountain of ore.(well a guy can hope)
Convertion to energy credits using ore and the other currecies?
As a currency itself for buying things?
Something needs to be done about this, god only knows but hopefully cryptic will listen and take this onboard.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ixboneheadxiixboneheadxi Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I agree the refining limit needs to be increased at least double
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The refining limit is what allows Dil to retain some value in the player run markets.

You may be able to refine twice as much but you'll get half as much for it.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    More chars., more dil to refine.

Increasing dil-refinement per char= higher prices. Because the guys who can increse the limit, can increase prices too...
  • ixboneheadxiixboneheadxi Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    More chars., more dil to refine.

Increasing dil-refinement per char= higher prices. Because the guys who can increse the limit, can increase prices too...

I'm sure a 500 Zen cost to increase our refining cap would work out nicely for them and us alike
    edited March 2015
    I'm sure a 500 Zen cost to increase our refining cap would work out nicely for them and us alike

It'd be nice for Cryptic in the short run.

Making Zen take too long to farm the Dil for and you'll lose the bottom end of the market.

Sure, you can refine 16000 dil with your 500 Zen purchase but then it'd be 360 Dil per Zen.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Weekly for sure ;)
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Only in the short run. Long run you'd end up with inflation and we'd be back to the days of 350-dil-per-zen rates, Cryptic would make less money on people buying zen to trade for dil (since people would get more for their money), and the prices of everything would have to go up to compensate. No matter how much money you print, inflation always wins in the end.

Edit:
    D'oh you already elaborated on yourself. Now I'm just being redundant. :D
    edited March 2015
    Only in the short run. Long run you'd end up with inflation and we'd be back to the days of 350-dil-per-zen rates, Cryptic would make less money on people buying zen to trade for dil (since people would get more for their money), and the prices of everything would have to go up to compensate. No matter how much money you print, inflation always wins in the end.

That's exactly why I specified in the short run for Cryptic.

I probably should have put a very in front of short.

edit: ninja edits get us all
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Raising the limit would be pointless. The Zen exchange would just take the increase supply into account and reduce its value.

And I would expect in-game prices to increase on at least new stuff (like new REPs) meaning you're newfound ability to refine more would end up being the same. The idea is to limit your progress per day of play, and limit it they will.

Meanwhile casual players like myself who seldom hit the current limit expect for events like the CE, would find themselves shoved further back in the bus. So we get screwed, and you get basically nothing.

This helps no one.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I want more ore! They should double the amount on the rewards!
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So what happens now then?
    An even bigger dilithium ore mountain?
    If not for refining, as said surely there could be other uses for it
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    The simple solution for the OP would be to stop getting more ore, and just refine what he/she has, I'm kinda wondering how someone would end up with a mountain of ore in the first place. :confused: When I get a surplus of Dilithium I do stuff that doesn't award much dil and refine my surplus until it's gone.

As for increasing the refinement cap, I would like to refine more ore, but I understand that increasing the refinement cap would only devalue dilithium and drive the price of zen even higher, which I do NOT want, so it's fine where it is.

Edit: It would be interesting if there were an alternate use for ore, but I'm not sure what that could be or even if it would 'catch on'.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i always thought the fleet bases should get their own refinery, that way you could just have to donate the raw ore, and refine what your going to use yourself
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They could introduce an option to turn unrefined dilithium ore directly into latinum if that's what you really want. :D

On a serious note this has been asked for again and again and again. It will never happen. They are not going to put a dilithium price on practically every endgame item or feature and then suddenly go the opposite way and increase the daily refinement limit.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,166 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Using the zen exchange, dilithium is an account wide currency easily transferable between characters. That being the case, you can refine 8k x as many alts as you have. This means there is effectively no refining limit.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The refining limit is what allows Dil to retain some value in the player run markets.

You may be able to refine twice as much but you'll get half as much for it.

It would be useful for those players who still have starbase projects to complete. I'm solo building a T4 starbase right now and need 1.6 million refined dilithium and I have a pile of unrefined dilithium I can't do anything with. A refining cap increase would be wonderful for me. It would inspire me to keep playing the game beyond setting doff missions, doing the crystaline daily and logging out.
  • acherion2175acherion2175 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So let unrefined ore count towards fleet (starbase ect) upgrades and only those upgrades but at a 75% value. Instant ore sink. No other market inflation.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    personally i wish they would take dilithium from the game i mean in trek lore they dont even use dilithium as a currency its credits and GPL.

so why not replace dil with GPL convert all dil to GPL take out the dabo table or convert them to a fun way to exhcange gpl for ec.

The dil echange could become the GPL exhange it would work the same.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    So what happens now then?
    An even bigger dilithium ore mountain?
    You've won the game. Congratulations, you're (one form of) space rich.
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    If not for refining, as said surely there could be other uses for it
    Every time you say this, you misrepresent your complaint.

You want a use for unrefined dilithium.

But, you continue to fail to specify that when making your request directly.

"Can something please be done with Dilithium Ore," combined with "I have too much," sounds like a request for more refined dilithium sinks.

A use for unrefined dilithium might be a good thing for the game; it would have the same effect of increasing the zen value of dilithium as a new dilithium sink would.

I could see them running some sort of targeted feature that uses unrefined dilithium, to mitigate the dilithium acquistion offered by other events, such as dil weekends or CCE.
    personally i wish they would take dilithium from the game i mean in trek lore they dont even use dilithium as a currency its credits and GPL.

so why not replace dil with GPL convert all dil to GPL take out the dabo table or convert them to a fun way to exhcange gpl for ec.

The dil echange could become the GPL exhange it would work the same.
    I wish they had done this when the originally implemented the system.

I'm supportive of the concept, but at this point, where even we as players should be prioritizing complaints/issues/suggestions based on Cryptic's limited resources, I don't think it's worth the effort, nice as it would be.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A BIG FAT NO to the OP request!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Using the zen exchange, dilithium is an account wide currency easily transferable between characters. That being the case, you can refine 8k x as many alts as you have. This means there is effectively no refining limit.

Refined is, unrefined isn't so that's not very useful.

The game pulls causals in multiple directions. One must focus on the main to advance spec points, but that builds up unrefined and non-transferable Dilithium. Or one can play alts to get more refined Dilithium, and TRIBBLE oneself on spec points.

Unless one has insane amounts of time to play.

But despite this, I don't want the refining limit increased. It wouldn't do me or anyone else any good in the end. Those that think it would don't understand how the exchange and the costs designed into the game work.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,645 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I wonder how many paying customers build up mountains of unrefined dil?

That is, for the people who regularly pay real money for zen, how many take the time to grind and farm more than an average of 8K dil a day for extended periods?

I'm currently playing at least 10 hours a week, leveling up several characters from 5x to 60+spec. But except during events I rarely earn more than 2-4K a day per character.

My guess is Cryptic only has an incentive to change this if enough of the real-world spenders care and that not too many do.
  • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I fully support this idea, because like the OP I have also large amounts of dilithium which I am unable to refine faster and I really do need quicker way of earning zen. So the limit should be increase at least to a double of current amount (16k). Someone mentioned inflation, but that could be avoided if there would be a limit on highest zen price (which shouldn't be above 200 dil per zen). Everyone would be happy that way and it would be easier for us silver players :D
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015

No, no, no, please no. Ok let's clarify this thing. Unrefined dil you can't transfer, refined dil you can transfer. A F2P acc, like the OP has can store 47 character. That's 8k*47 refining limit (not counting dil mine 500 per day if all of his toons are in fleet with dil mine completed) e.g. not unlimited.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Making Zen take too long to farm the Dil for and you'll lose the bottom end of the market.

Sure, you can refine 16000 dil with your 500 Zen purchase but then it'd be 360 Dil per Zen.

That works out well for the non-race-car driver/surgeon/astronaut players who play this game less than twenty hours a week while occasionally being able to just buy the dilithium they want as opposed to developing an elite team of Klingon Marauders/miners...

***To be clear because meaning gets lost in forum posts, I am not referring to you personally but the ubermenschen who deign to communicate with mere mortals and always remind everyone of how STO wealthy they are while being race-car drivers/surgeons/astronauts...***
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    not flogging this old dead horse again. geeeez!.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I wonder how many paying customers build up mountains of unrefined dil?

That is, for the people who regularly pay real money for zen, how many take the time to grind and farm more than an average of 8K dil a day for extended periods?

I'm currently playing at least 10 hours a week, leveling up several characters from 5x to 60+spec. But except during events I rarely earn more than 2-4K a day per character.

My guess is Cryptic only has an incentive to change this if enough of the real-world spenders care and that not too many do.

It's always been my understanding that, at most, the majority of players refine around the same amount as you mentioned...

I know myself, outside of Dilithium Weekends and special events such as CCE, I rarely hit cap on any of my characters every day - my main is currently hovering at around 230k unrefined, due to them being relatively close together this time around...

My main 2 characters will usually hit cap those days I'm not working, but otherwise, it's merely the 2-3k I can generate from a single round of Doff assignments...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Two of my chars sit on half a million unrefined Dil, there others are around 350k, 3 more are at 50k. I should have played better distributed I take it but when CC comes along one does not think but rather grab the free reward for all.

An increase of the refining limit is not needed so the worth of that currency can be upheld. Being able to refine 64/day is enough for me. I don’t know about you guys but a lot of peeps I know in game focused a lot on their main after delta rising while claiming the upgrade costs for alts would be to be too high for them to keep them in active play. Perhaps that way was not the best approach.

I never had any problem with Dil getting or refining in my gang and I neither play 8 hours a day nor do I hide in DPS channels all the time I’m on. I just play smart and my alts are the key for that.

Leveling the delta recruit for a few weeks should deal with the mountain(s) of unrefined Dil easily. Perhaps this works for some around here as well.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    How about using unrefined dil for upgrading and refined dil for everything else. Read this in another post. Seems like a good idea.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1378031

So....37 days have elapsed between thread above to current thread. *Hits reset*
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?