test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The InterStellar Concordium and Other Starfleet Command II races

shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
i was looking at another thread and Starfleet command was mentioned. I remember playing Starfleet Command 2 for a good long while, and my favorite 2 sides were the Romulans and the Interstellar Concordium.

From another Star Trek Site: The Interstellar Concordium (abbreviated as ISC) was a technologically advanced collection of races located on the far side of the Beta Quadrant, beyond the Gorn-Romulan border. The Concordium was composed of over sixty sentient species occupying over two hundred settled worlds, and controlled a sphere of influence only slightly smaller than the Federation.

There were 2 other races seen in this game, along with the federation, klingons, and romulans. all playable with their own ships. honestly enough all of these could be added into the game with minimal effort. there's already a baseline ship for each level and these could be expanded upon to keep with the original idea for that races ship design.

honestly enough I just worry that bringing the all out war with the iconians will see the eventual end of the game and would like to see that delayed as long as possible.
Post edited by shinnok918 on

Comments

• Options
    chilleechillee Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The ISC and all other StarFleet Battles-based materials is not canon per CBS... should never be considered canon... and thankfully, will never make it into anything canon or even soft-canon... let alone STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I played the hell out of Starfleet Command II. I think the ISC were interesting, but wouldn't that role be played by the Dominion today? Sure, they're not totally the same but a species made up of several other species like the Federation attempts to bring order to the Quadrant by invading is pretty much the same basic m.o. I do like the idea of bring the Organians back however. We've already spoken to the Q and the Prophets, so hearing what other non-corporeal and "god-like" beings have to say about this current war would be interesting.

Watch it turn out to be a game of chess played between the Q and the Organians. The Iconians are being played by the Organians and the Q represents the Milky Way, because the Q have a thing for this Galaxy.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chillee wrote: »
    The ISC and all other StarFleet Battles-based materials is not canon per CBS... will never make it into anything canon or even soft-canon... let alone STO.

Yeah, this. There are plenty of other alien races mentioned in Star Trek canon that could make their way into STO.
    shinnok918 wrote: »
    honestly enough I just worry that bringing the all out war with the iconians will see the eventual end of the game and would like to see that delayed as long as possible.

I don't think you have to worry about that. As I have pointed out in other threads, just because one main plot may be coming to a climax doesn't mean there can't be new main plots.

Say whatever you want about the game, but I think Cryptic has done a great job taking elements from Star Trek's past and expanding on them. There's a lot of material they haven't even touched yet.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I don't think you have to worry about that. As I have pointed out in other threads, just because one main plot may be coming to a climax doesn't mean there can't be new main plots.

Say whatever you want about the game, but I think Cryptic has done a great job taking elements from Star Trek's past and expanding on them. There's a lot of material they haven't even touched yet.

I agree, and I'm by no means a member of the CDF lol. Things like Delta Rising, where while I didn't care for how much of it was handled, it was interesting to essentially be Janeway's 'clean up crew'. Several times I found myself laughing as Laurel and Hardy rushed through my head stating "Well Catherine, here's another fine mess you've gotten us into." I know that's just essentially a substory of the main Iconian story, but still part of the whole.

I know there are plenty of subplots the creative minds at Cryptic can pick through, and I am interested to see what's next, and what the next major threat/main plot will be.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »

I think the reason I want to see the isc is because their ships were a pretty cool design for a TOS based game and could be pretty well adapted to the game. also because too many of the random alien races created have ships that look the same. heck this was part of the reason for the closures of the outlying star clusters. I know that wasn't the only reason but the lack of uniqueness of these races (or something along those lines if I remember right) was one of the stated reasons.

the thing with the ISC v Dominion argument is that it would allow expansion of more of the local galaxy especially with the new map coming in, and the ISC had their own special weapon. (now that I mention it didn't the Dominion have a rather destructive torpedo that isn't yet in game?)

and I agree theres a lot of material cryptic hasn't touched yet LIKE MORE ROMULAN BRIDGES!!
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Remember that TFG's "Starfleet Battles" was strictly limited to the TOS/TAS era. Even the
    "Starfleet Command" series was unable to secure the "rights" to many aspects of the original
    TFG's property. I'm sure Cryptic/PWE would encounter this same issue. :)

BCW.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Remember that TFG's "Starfleet Battles" was strictly limited to the TOS/TAS era. Even the
    "Starfleet Command" series was unable to secure the "rights" to many aspects of the original
    TFG's property. I'm sure Cryptic/PWE would encounter this same issue. :)

BCW.

very likely theres a lot of copyright issues BUT don't we pay cryptic to allow them to go out and perhaps gain permissions to use some of this stuff?
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Lets not taint SFB and SFC's legacy's by making appearances in STO. Thank you.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,080 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    very likely theres a lot of copyright issues BUT don't we pay cryptic to allow them to go out and perhaps gain permissions to use some of this stuff?

It was hard enough to get the green light for the Vesta. And they went around the Kzinti (TECHNICALLY Canon via TAS but are from a different thing entirely) issue by making the Ferasans.

The ISC, Mirak, Lyrans, and Hydrans aren't going to make an appearace as they were not seen in any of the shows/movies. Same goes for the Etherians and Vorsoth from Elite Force 1, the Exomorphs from Elite Force 2, ships that were designed for any of the games...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited March 2015

What if the owner of said "rights" does'nt want to sell? Or maybe thier asking a price that is
    more than Cryptic as a company is worth? What then? Just because one wants something
    does'nt mean they can aquire it. :)

BCW.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,828 Arc User
    edited March 2015

What if the owners want 20 million dollars? I don't see Cryptic paying that out even if they could afford it.

The Kzinti...the owner wouldn't even let SFC2 use the name so they instead called them Mirak as STO has Ferasan.

SFB, like it has been said is a whole different universe, while it does share some things it doesn't share a whole lot...in fact the game as a whole involves multiple galaxies if I recall and we have yet to intentionally leave our galaxy and we had very limited contact with beings from other galaxies.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Jendarians FTW, just sayin'.

As much as I love the concepts in SFB/SFC, I think its pretty much a different "universe" than this one.
  • Options
    revjimjonesrevjimjones Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Star Fleet command was licensed through Amarillo Design Bureau that has rights to the Original star trek universe through Paramount. And is based on the Pen and Paper War Game Star fleet Battles.
    EXH79YQ.gif
    stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer
    Sarcasm Font and color[ font="Trebuchet MS"][ color=#FF61F4][ /color][ /font]
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would like to see the various SFB races plugged in as random encounters in the exploration zones if/when exploration becomes a thing.

Too bad it will never happen.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Jendarians FTW, just sayin'.

As much as I love the concepts in SFB/SFC, I think its pretty much a different "universe" than this one.
    Well, I think that's why the license was discontinued eventually. It had diverged TOO far from where it started and become it's own thing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Well, I think that's why the license was discontinued eventually. It had diverged TOO far from where it started and become it's own thing.

thing is they started right. the interesting thing about the ISC specifically is the proximity to Romulan space and the blast that started it all in this game: the Hobus Supernova.

there could honestly be a who arc around helping some of their outlying worlds cope...or they could blame us and declare all out war.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I rather liked the HYdrans. They were fun. As were the Lyrans. The gorn ships were all just yoogly and bad yoogly at that. Almost as bad as some the original rommie ships here.

The Rommie ships in SFC II...

Some of the best looking vessels in any space game. Liked each and every one and used them all. My favorite parts? They all had an avian theme and design elements. And that jinormous fat raptor graphic boldly displayed on the hull of each and every one of them. The Rommie T6s here in STO? Oh yeah, I am really glad someone pulled his head out of his fourth point of contact and got with the program. :D

EDIT: Proof? You want proof? Okay, then.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/thunderfoot006/TMPRihannsu.jpg
    http://s140.photobucket.com/user/thunderfoot006/media/rskyh004.jpg.html
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/thunderfoot006/rskyh007.jpg
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/thunderfoot006/relit003.jpg
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/thunderfoot006/relit004.jpg
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/thunderfoot006/relit007.jpg
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/thunderfoot006/TalShiar002.jpg
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/thunderfoot006/fireh000.jpg
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.