test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Layoffs

mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 504 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
I would like to have it confirmed from Cryptic that 18 employees have been let go.

Then I would like to know what this means for the games.
Are they "finished" now? Only needing minor updates in the future.
Or does this have no effect at all on the development of the three games?
Post edited by mattachine on

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mattachine wrote: »
    I would like to have it confirmed from Cryptic that 18 employees have been let go.

Then I would like to know what this means for the games.
    Are they "finished" now? Only needing minor updates in the future.
    Or does this have no effect at all on the development of the three games?

This has little effect on the development of the three games. CO is still effectively in maintenance mode. STO is still on schedule for Season 10. NW still seems to be a pretty heavy contender. Cryptic's secret project is still ongoing.

"Restructuring" is business lingo for cutting costs. The tech bubble burst is a cascading effect we've seen already. I don't even think we'll see it acknowledged as a tech bubble burst until the dust has finally settled -- it's still ongoing.

Of course, more could happen, so it's important to remain informed and up to date. This sort of thing can change day-to-day.

PWE has decided that they need to cut costs. So instead of offering a competitive salary or an office that isn't so top-heavy (they have a bunch of do-nothing managers), they do the typical thing by cutting the people at the bottom of the ladder off.

People like Matt Miller are simply too good at what they do, and in typical capitalist fashion, they remove him from his position and will instead pile his work on someone of comparable skill.

So somebody at Cryptic (or several somebodies) will be doing Matt Miller's share of labor in addition to their own, while still receiving the same salary.

They call it "lean", but let's not mince words here. They're trying to burn people at Cryptic out so they can replace them with others at a lower payrate, by overworking them.

If they really cared about cutting costs, they'd remove a large portion of the administration at Redwood City who have no desire to do anything other than collect a paycheck and pretend to do meaningful work, while reaping the benefits of the overworked developers at Cryptic.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    we should do something maybe send smedia messages that people should not play/pay pwe games until Cryptic Studios work situation gets better ...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    garaks31 wrote: »
    we should do something maybe send smedia messages that people should not play/pay pwe games until Cryptic Studios work situation gets better ...
    "the beatings will continue until morale improves"

yeah that's pretty much what you said.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    this is gonna get locked, there's threads on this and the mods don't want new ones opening.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    this is gonna get locked, there's threads on this and the mods don't want new ones opening.

See above :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.