Install Arc
Options

Can we get a confirm here?

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    arnthebard wrote: »
    I see there are some changes going on behind the curtain. Is this because of the fallout of player complaints over the Annivesary Event? Or perhaps it has to do with a decrease in the revenue stream. One thing is for sure pink slips are flying around. Who is gone and who is left and more importantly who is coming onboard to replace them?

you do know doom threads are not allowed because of the fct? :rolleyes:
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Perhaps, but could this also be in preperation to make cryptic attractive enough to sell off? I do know that companies cook the books before selling off assets.

Oh yes, I would be ECSTATIC if PWE were to sell Cryptic to a more reputable parent company. Somehow I doubt this will happen though.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    how many threads do we need about this?

Well, since Trendy locked the first one...we'll need at least a dozen more than we've already got.

Locked: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1401971
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1401981
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1402461
    This One: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1402481

And we'll probably have them by the end of the day.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh yes, I would be ECSTATIC if PWE were to sell Cryptic to a more reputable parent company. Somehow I doubt this will happen though.

Be careful what you wish for ... last time we got PWE ... what's next Bigpoint ? :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well before this thread gets the shutdown let it be noted that this is the general discussion thread. This thread in no way is intended to malign or defame anyone. Secondly, we the players should be able to discuss facts related to the game and be able to come to conclusions of our own. Now when the PR department wishes to step in and make official statements I will be glad to listen. Until we have such a announcement we the STO community should be able to ask questions and seek answers about the fate of this game.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well before this thread gets the shutdown let it be noted that this is the general discussion thread. This thread in no way is intended to malign or defame anyone. Secondly, we the players should be able to discuss facts related to the game and be able to come to conclusions of our own. Now when the PR department wishes to step in and make official statements I will be glad to listen. Until we have such a announcement we the STO community should be able to ask questions and seek answers about the fate of this game.

asking questions is fine, but its the type of questions you ask and in the way you do it that can see it canned or answered. however in stating that, cryptic usually dont share information to their player base about anything these days, only when they feel its appropriate to what they are doing.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not gonna win much popularity points with this, but I kinda lost the majority of my respect for him after he said this about the empty queues. That's is not to say I disliked him, or anything, but simply that, after that, I couldn't take anything he said seriously any more. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So why are we recieving the silent treatment? It would seem to me that Cyrptic has the opportunity to get out in front of this. Do they not understand that this sort of thing will take on a life of its own if not properly addressed?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Not gonna win much popularity points with this, but I kinda lost the majority of my respect for him after he said this about the empty queues. That's is not to say I disliked him, or anything, but simply that, after that, I couldn't take anything he said seriously any more. :(

He essentially was a PR-agent, trying to "calm the waves" by coming here and assuring us everything is awesome. He seemed like a fun person but like all employees I do not consider it particularily "useful" what they all are saying via official accounts. I just miss the days when the devs could at least acknowledge problems and openly talk about them instead of being forced to make a happy face all the time.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So why are we recieving the silent treatment? It would seem to me that Cyrptic has the opportunity to get out in front of this. Do they not understand that this sort of thing will take on a life of its own if not properly addressed?

Well if Communication was poor before ... laying off a Community Manager certainly doesn't help (no matter how good he was at his job) ...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    He essentially was a PR-agent, trying to "calm the waves" by coming here and assuring us everything is awesome. He seemed like a fun person but like all employees I do not consider it particularily "useful" what they all are saying via official accounts. I just miss the days when the devs could at least acknowledge problems and openly talk about them instead of being forced to make a happy face all the time.

Which is why I didn't dislike him. :) I understood he had to do his PR-thingy. But a major task of a CM, way I understood it, was to liaison between the community and PWE/Cryptic; and after the empty-queues incident I simply knew he was no longer our man.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    [scratches head]....[facepalms]..... about 5 years ago I was serving aboard a Miranda class ship when we were attacked by the Borg. I was on an away team rescue mission when my ship was attacked. The bridge was hit by a torpedo that decompressed deck 1 effectively destroying the command structure. It was at this point I beamed back over and assumed command and made repairs and rejoined the fleet as an acting captain....

So who is going to step up and assume command now?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    [scratches head]....[facepalms]..... about 5 years ago I was serving aboard a Miranda class ship when we were attacked by the Borg. I was on a away team rescue mission when my ship was attacked. The bridge was ht by a torpedo that decompressed deck 1 effectively destroying the command structure. It was at this point I assumed command and made repairs and rejoined the fleet as an acting captain....

So who is going to step up and assume command now?

The unlucky soul that gets the short straw...
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    wouldn't it have been smirk's job to confirm this to the community?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Please define "more reputable".

I'm not sure whether to facepalm or laugh.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    After this I'm afraid I ceased to like the guy, I'd go so far as to say if I were teaching classes on being a CM, I would say this is a lesson on how NOT to do the job.

Still, I wish him luck with his next placement.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Which is why I didn't dislike him. :) I understood he had to do his PR-thingy. But a major task of a CM, way I understood it, was to liaison between the community and PWE/Cryptic; and after the empty-queues incident I simply knew he was no longer our man.
    to be honest, the reporting error was real. I personally saw, on several occasions, cases where I'd queue(UIA was what I did most often back then) with it showing that 0 were waiting and have the mission pop almost instantly.

So yes, there WAS a bug that caused it to show that a queue was empty when it really wasn't.

I say "was" because the reporting error has apparently been fixed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Can we now get someone who actually plays this game? Nothing against the person smirk, he was a nice and friendly fellow, but I would rather have someone capable of playing (or competent if you will) and trade 20% friendliness for it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    to be honest, the reporting error was real. I personally saw, on several occasions, cases where I'd queue(UIA was what I did most often back then) with it showing that 0 were waiting and have the mission pop almost instantly.

So yes, there WAS a bug that caused it to show that a queue was empty when it really wasn't.

I say "was" because the reporting error has apparently been fixed.

He specifically said he "tested out ALL the queues myself, and they popped very quickly for me." Including Starbase Fleet Defense?! That hasn't popped for me, like ever, since DR. We run it in the DPS channels at times, but never as a PUG.

There actually still is a reporting error going on (the numbers are still screwy); but some queues are truly empty, regardless of the numbers on them. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Can we now get someone who actually plays this game? Nothing against the person smirk, he was a nice and friendly fellow, but I would rather have someone capable of playing (or competent if you will) and trade 20% friendliness for it.

I seriously doubt we'll even get an replacement (not really the point of "massive layoffs") ... besides Trendy is still here ...
    He specifically said he "tested out ALL the queues myself, and they popped very quickly for me." Including Starbase Fleet Defense?! That hasn't popped for me, like ever, since DR. We run it in the DPS channels at times, but never as a PUG.

Besides the statement was made, after the "reporting error" was supposedly fixed ...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I would say someone that actually has the capital to do proper updates like Disney for instance. Pirates of The Caribbean would be a good model from the standpoint of live moderators and the understanding of limiting free to play content.
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I guess the pvpers thought he was OP. :(
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is the first I've heard of this. Interesting. Not sure what to think really. I always assumed game development had a pretty high turnover of staff so this could well be business as usual.

I can't say I'm surprised Smirk could have left. For a community manager he spend surprisingly little time actually interacting with the community.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Generally decision around laying people are, unless finance related, are between the company and the employee.

Finance ones come out at shareholder meetings, or other public finance announcements.
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Smirk was the worst CM we ever had - and that is going all the way back to Wishstone who would ban people at the drop of a hat. The man just did not do his job properly. I cannot even count all the times I have had to go to other Cryptic game forums to get information that Smirk should have gotten to us here.

I have nothing against the man personally, and I am certain he is a wonderful, fun, person to hang with, but as a CM he just did not cut it, IMO. You need to be more then friendly and nice to do your job properly. You might think your surgeon is the nicest person in the world but if every patient he/she ever operated on died you would be rethinking him doing your surgery.

I wish him well in his future endeavors but I am not sorry to see him go.

This sums it up nicely.

When branflakes left we were told it was because the game and community had grown and one person wasn't enough to manage us.

However Smirk and Trendy combined have done half as much to keep us updated and inline as he did.

Now this may be nothing to do with the amount of work they put in or their commitment to their jobs. We only know about their interactions with us. Maybe they really have worked twice as hard as branflakes did behind the scenes.

But we can only be expected to judge them by what we have seen. Which isn't much.

I mean no disrespect at all. This is just how things have seemed to me.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Generally decision around laying people are, unless finance related, are between the company and the employee.

Finance ones come out at shareholder meetings, or other public finance announcements.

Don't they think that the lack of communication is a crucial component to keeping its fanbase? Frankly I would be happy with the corporate line "We are making changes to facilitate a better gaming experience" rather than silence.
  • Options
    reverseandereverseande Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Yeah, but Smirk works for PWE, not Cryptic.

WorkED ...check his twitter :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    so is trendys position safe? im not exactly sure what duties were supposed to differentiate them, and i havent seen enough of either to really hazard a guess.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Id say the fact that this thread hasn't been acknowledged in any way, either confirming or denying and closing, is a confirmation in and of itself.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.