test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

They should make diplomatic boffs tranferable again

ryoborgryoborg Member Posts: 38 Arc User
I reckons it's stupid that they made the diplomatic reward Boffs bound & no longer transferable. I mean what if you have a full crew & don't want another one or if you want to get money to by something you really need or if you just wanna have a character with all the different type of races? the only way to do that would be to buy them or trade them but now that you can't do that anymore it really doesn't give much incentive, apart from if you just want another special boff, to do diplomatic missions. it does kill the "get them all" incentive thought. I reckon they should change it back to how it was. Not cool they changed it in the first place.
Post edited by ryoborg on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I feel you and agree. I also miss that feature.

However when I pointed that drawback out upon revamp of the boff system I was told that I was never “meant” to have its benefit in the first place. :o
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ryoborg wrote: »
    I reckons it's stupid that they made the diplomatic reward Boffs bound & no longer transferable. I mean what if you have a full crew & don't want another one or if you want to get money to by something you really need or if you just wanna have a character with all the different type of races? the only way to do that would be to buy them or trade them but now that you can't do that anymore it really doesn't give much incentive, apart from if you just want another special boff, to do diplomatic missions. it does kill the "get them all" incentive thought. I reckon they should change it back to how it was. Not cool they changed it in the first place.

It was most likely never intended for Diplo Boffs to be permanently tradeable... It's my understanding they were never originally tradeable and that trading Commisioned and special reward (such as the Diplo) Boffs was only introduced in order to facilitate training, at player request...

With the training revamp, the need to trade bound and commisioned Boffs was no longer there...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • ryoborgryoborg Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    oh ok, still sucks though. they should change it back coz i wanna get the complete klingon faction on my klingon fed charater.
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i fully agree that doplomacy/maraudering bofss should NEVER EVER have to be tradeble ? why ? becaus ethey are reawrds for archviment to that char.
    why some guy shoudl have crew full ship of enemy faction ? you dont want that boff ? dismis him.
    want to have that boff multipletimes on your ship ? well play that faction.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Eh, why not?

They're hard enough to get that the amount of effort it would take to abuse this would be prohibitive.

It's probably good for Cryptic's metrics if some weird person makes a string of alts exclusively to grind up an entire crew of diplomatic bridge officers.

Finally, it's really no more ridiculous than what we can already do in game. Play your cards right and your Starfleet Away Team can be comprised of a Breen, a Jem'hadar, a whiny Reman, a Borg, a Hologram, an Android, and I feel like I'm missing something. Or, even easier, you can use the alien creator to make an entire away team of land-bound pixies and goblins.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jermbot wrote: »
    Finally, it's really no more ridiculous than what we can already do in game. Play your cards right and your Starfleet Away Team can be comprised of a Breen, a Jem'hadar, a whiny Reman, a Borg, a Hologram, an Android, and I feel like I'm missing something. Or, even easier, you can use the alien creator to make an entire away team of land-bound pixies and goblins.

Lol, there's even more special boffs being added: Talaxian, Xindi, Kobali, and Hierarchy just made their way into the game in the last months. You can quite completely make an entire, functional crew out of the reward and unlock boffs now ;)

I figure one of the reasons they prevent trading around the faction-jumping boff is to keep some of the traits separate. The Leadership trait stays mainly with the Feds, and Pirate stays mostly with KDF. There are exceptions of course, but I'd gather they're trying to keep some level of differentiation between the factions.
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Lol, there's even more special boffs being added: Talaxian, Xindi, Kobali, and Hierarchy just made their way into the game in the last months. You can quite completely make an entire, functional crew out of the reward and unlock boffs now ;)

I figure one of the reasons they prevent trading around the faction-jumping boff is to keep some of the traits separate. The Leadership trait stays mainly with the Feds, and Pirate stays mostly with KDF. There are exceptions of course, but I'd gather they're trying to keep some level of differentiation between the factions.

I'm a huge fan of asymmetrical balance in strategy games. Endless Legend, I've blown through hours on that weird little fantasy 4X strategy game. And, in order to date myself, Masters of Orion 2 was my life for months after that game came out.

And now, having established my asymmetry cred I'm going to say it's not worth the effort in this particular case, and is usually not worth it in MMO-RPG's at all. In this particular case, even before Romulan Superior Operative took over as king of the bridge, neither 'leadership' or 'pirate' create a significant enough effect to be a satisfying distinction between the factions. Certainly not satisfying enough in the meta-game level to justify a restriction on character options individually.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Or they could, you know, let us buy more than one. Maybe with diplomatic CXP.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Don't want them to be transferable or to have multiple, but I'd be happy if they restored the ability to dismiss one of these BOFFs and than allow you to reclaim another.

It's nice when your own diplomatic BOFF has been replaced by one of the new 'event boffs' but you could use something else from the diplomatic store.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I disagree, it was not intended to be that way, it was a single reward for reaching level 4 Diplo.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yep, the Boff is meant to get you bragging rights. Something to show for reaching max diplomacy.
    I would not mind them, giving this boffs a higher quality grade to make them actually unique again.
    What would an Ultra-Rare or Epic Boff look like trait wise?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Or they could, you know, let us buy more than one. Maybe with diplomatic CXP.

See, now that just makes sense. If someone is willing to still grind up a ton of Diplo CXP after reaching Diplo T4, I see no harm in it.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am playing a ferengi and having nausicaan guards is mandatory. I am glad I got them before the system was changed and really dislike the fact its not possible anymore for any other ferengi player.
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Dangit and I was wanting my Fed captain to enjoy being surrounded by Orion away babes.
    edited March 2015
    I present to you...
    lebtron wrote: »
    I am playing a ferengi and having nausicaan guards is mandatory. I am glad I got them before the system was changed and really dislike the fact its not possible anymore for any other ferengi player.

... a great use of multiple diplomacy reward boffs. Followed by...
    roadghost wrote: »
    Dangit and I was wanting my Fed captain to enjoy being surrounded by Orion away babes.

... the reason we can't have nice things :(
    edited March 2015
    I present to you...

You know, I'm not even going to get mad at the captain who staffs his away team with nothing but scantily clad green chicks because it has 0 chance of affecting me.

Will his away team be with him if I bump into him in any social zones? Nope.

Will his away team be with him if I team with him in a random pug? Nope.

The only way I'm going to run into, and have my sense of 'lore propriety' assaulted by him, is if I voluntarily group with him for a mission, or if I voluntarily go to the bridge of his ship.

So if guy wants to spend his time and effort getting 4 diplomacy bridge officers so that his "star trek experience" is an exaggerated parody of Captain Kirk, romancing his way through all the exotic alien babes in the galaxy, why should I care?
    edited March 2015

It's more a case of highlighting how few factions the game has, i.e. that the ferengi has to be a FED captain instead of a independent or freebooter.

No help for it at this point. But I remember the time when MMOs had tons of subgroups each with their own storyline and early advancement areas. The lack of these has been a serious failing of STO from the beginning.
    edited March 2015
    jermbot wrote: »
    You know, I'm not even going to get mad at the captain who staffs his away team with nothing but scantily clad green chicks because it has 0 chance of affecting me.

Not mad, but realistically that's probably one of the concerns the devs had going forward. Way too many Fed captains trying to get their Orion slavegirls.
    edited March 2015
    I present to you...

Why is it that a KDF/KDF-Rom captain wanting an all-Orion away team is OK but a Fed/Fed-Rom one is "the reason we can't have nice things?"

And why is it that an Orion running around everywhere in a bikini is OK but other species is not?
    It's more a case of highlighting how few factions the game has, i.e. that the ferengi has to be a FED captain instead of a independent or freebooter.

No help for it at this point. But I remember the time when MMOs had tons of subgroups each with their own storyline and early advancement areas. The lack of these has been a serious failing of STO from the beginning.
    I'd much rather we have one faction. Other than the initial episode missions and a few of the old fleet action queues, everyone is on the same side anyway.
    edited March 2015
    Why is it that a KDF/KDF-Rom captain wanting an all-Orion away team is OK but a Fed/Fed-Rom one is "the reason we can't have nice things?"

And why is it that an Orion running around everywhere in a bikini is OK but other species is not?

Never said either was ok - it's all pretty silly. But I'm sure they want to limit the exposure (pun intended ;)).
    edited March 2015
    I'd much rather we have one faction. Other than the initial episode missions and a few of the old fleet action queues, everyone is on the same side anyway.

Being on the same side is no reason not to have multiple factions. In Lord of the Rings Online for example *all* the characters are on the same side, but each race gets their own Starter Areas with their own storyline quests. Just like the Romulans do here.

That's very common in MMO design, and is effectively what Cryptic modeled the LoR expansion on. We need more of this.
    edited March 2015
    Being on the same side is no reason not to have multiple factions. In Lord of the Rings Online for example *all* the characters are on the same side, but each race gets their own Starter Areas with their own storyline quests. Just like the Romulans do here.

That's very common in MMO design, and is effectively what Cryptic modeled the LoR expansion on. We need more of this.
    The factions and the war were modeled after WOW and now they're backpedaling because they don't want to make separate content for the factions.

The Romulans are not really a faction, but an origin story. That's different. You have to join Starfleet or KDF and thats your faction. The Romulan Republic itself is allied* with both of them, but you can't be, because artificial factionalization.

That's also the reason why the war ending in the storyline had zero effect on gameplay.

Having different starter missions and such is OK, but by endgame the factions are cooperating on every front and keeping the playerbase split up serves no purpose.

* As far as you can consider it an alliance, since the allies give Romulans access to almost all their stuff but Romulans give them nothing in return.
    edited March 2015
    The Romulans are not really a faction, but an origin story. That's different. You have to join Starfleet or KDF and thats your faction.

Call it whatever you want. They get their own ships and storyline, and that should have been the model for a number of races in this game.

Sadly the lock boxes are standing in the way of expanding that model, but if they restrain themselves from more updates like the Jem Bug they could work around that.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited March 2015

* As far as you can consider it an alliance, since the allies give Romulans access to almost all their stuff but Romulans give them nothing in return.

The Embassy, Romulan rep, the Dyson Sphere, and more. Just because the Republic won't let Starfleet get their hands on a warbird or cloak (again) is no reason to say the Romulans are not pulling their weight in the alliance.
    edited March 2015
    The Embassy, Romulan rep, the Dyson Sphere, and more. Just because the Republic won't let Starfleet get their hands on a warbird or cloak (again) is no reason to say the Romulans are not pulling their weight in the alliance.

The Republic itself is also offering peace. It takes over for the old RSE that was a constant concern to both the Federation and Klingon Empire. Not to mention that our Commander Mena leads the Delta Expedition, and Kaol is operational commander for the Solanae Sphere.

And our crew (boffs and doffs) are ready and willing to serve on our allies' starships. On that note (and back to topic) the Romulans are far more open to this than the Federation or the Empire are, seeing as Starfleet and KDF officers have to 'defect' to join the other faction's crew :P
  • vulcancouriervulcancourier Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic, open the Diplomacy Boff store and use a Doff meets Embassy Boff pricing model:

White bridge officers cost 200,000 Energy Credits and 10,000 Dilithim

Green bridge officers cost 400,000 Energy Credits and 15,000 Dilithium.

Blue bridge officers cost 800,000 Energy Credits and 25,000 Dilithium.

Purple bridge officers cost 1,600,000 Energy Credits and 45,000 Dilithium.

All Boffs would be character bind on acquire.

Players can now create a personalised Gorn/Orion diplomatic incident without affecting the Boff market.
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic, open the Diplomacy Boff store and use a Doff meets Embassy Boff pricing model:

Players can now create a personalised Gorn/Orion diplomatic incident without affecting the Boff market.

I like this idea.
  • glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Going through the patch notes I do not see any mention of making Diplo BOFFs untradeable. Can someone link the notes where the change was made?
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Good idea but it should be a bit cheaper (Dilithium, not EC)

I´d prefer that you can get more Boffs through Diplomacy. Keep doing Diplo. missions and every 30.000, 50.000 or so points you can get another Diplo Boff, now including Remans, Romulans, Liberated Borg and Kobali in addition to the usual Klingon faction and Fed faction Boffs.
    edited April 2015
    Good idea but it should be a bit cheaper (Dilithium, not EC)

I´d prefer that you can get more Boffs through Diplomacy. Keep doing Diplo. missions and every 30.000, 50.000 or so points you can get another Diplo Boff, now including Remans, Romulans, Liberated Borg and Kobali in addition to the usual Klingon faction and Fed faction Boffs.

Yeah i agree the Dilithium is way to much & I like the idea of doing more Diplo Dof mission to get more also & all the diff ones are a great idea.