test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Medical Advance - Borderline Creepy

jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
Remember that bit in the early Solonae mission when you found the corpse whose blood had been entirely replaced by a polymer?

Researchers at the University of Washington have developed an injectable polymer intended to stop people from bleeding to death, by forming a polymer barrier in the place where you're bleeding out. So far they've only gotten to animal testing, but it looks promising.
Lorna-Wing-sig.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That'll be great if it can be put into applicators/injectors which could be carried by haemopheliacs :cool:
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2015
    That'll be great if it can be put into applicators/injectors which could be carried by haemopheliacs :cool:

I grew up knowing the gentleman who became the oldest living hemophiliac. His grandson inherited the problem and nearly died in a freak accident. I'd dearly love for him to have such a protection.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I grew up knowing the gentleman who became the oldest living hemophiliac. His grandson inherited the problem and nearly died in a freak accident. I'd dearly love for him to have such a protection.

It's a cruel condition, that's for sure :( Hopefully something like this will be a way forwards :cool:
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oooh, fancy, an anti-bleeding-out polymer. Pretty cool, actually. Hope I never have to get that stuff stuck in me, but... it's good to see these things developing.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    just waiting until they create fully synthetic bodies to transplant our brains to so the badly structured natural flesh bodies can be discarded.
    Or, in the words of Joel (Hijinks Ensue) Watson, "The minute I can upload into a sexy cybernetic body, I'm heaving this out-of-warranty meat pile into a ditch! INTO A DITCH!!"
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Oddly, that was the second thing I thought of when I read the story.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    just waiting until they create fully synthetic bodies to transplant our brains to so the badly structured natural flesh bodies can be discarded.

or a way of mapping our minds to a machine simulation in a stable way.

Or something that turned up in this Orson Scott Card novel Invasive Procedures, a genetically engineered virus that replaces the bad copies of genes with non-disease-causing ones in situ. Solves the problem and ensures the problem genes won't be passed on to the person's kids.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Or something that turned up in this Orson Scott Card novel Invasive Procedures, a genetically engineered virus that replaces the bad copies of genes with non-disease-causing ones in situ. Solves the problem and ensures the problem genes won't be passed on to the person's kids.

Only Card novel I actually liked...that one was creepy but good.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Only Card novel I actually liked...that one was creepy but good.

Yeah that was a weird novel. There are some Card novels I like, but there are far too many similarities between the Homecoming series and Alvin Maker series and his religion. The Homecoming series is similar to taking Genesis and making it into a science fiction series.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Should go a long way towards saving the lives of soldiers and marines on the battlefield.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The only creepy thing about it is that we're still testing on animals. Yeah, yeah, I know, the need of the many and what if it was you or a loved one, bla, bla, bla...All true, but I don't have to like it.

As for the thing itself, sounds great. If they find a way to replace the whole blood for something that works better, go for it. Nanites as immune system? Where do I sign up? And so on.

:)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    This is great, future here we come.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!