test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tailor - Gender Option?

Comments

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It was brought to my attention that my original comment might be mistaken for a promise.

To clarify, it is something we have talked about and we are for sure interested in it. Unfortunately it isn't as easy as a checkbox and will require some serious looking into.

So it's something that may not happen for a long time...and might not happen at all. But again, we do plan on looking into it further.

Oh cool so you promised to check the checkbox for every single thing we could ever want wow that is a great way to go! Thanks so I want 1 beeeelion dollars to spit out of the tailor so its checked on the checkbox so its promised!
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    Oh cool so you promised to check the checkbox for every single thing we could ever want wow that is a great way to go! Thanks so I want 1 beeeelion dollars to spit out of the tailor so its checked on the checkbox so its promised!

Yes! We will check the box that satisfies everyone's desires. ;) Quote me on that.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yes! We will check the box that satisfies everyone's desires. ;) Quote me on that.

Shouldn't it be "We will check the box that tries to satisfies almost everyone's desires"? Since any change that is made in any portion of the game will annoy at least one person.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am all for,this
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It was brought to my attention that my original comment might be mistaken for a promise.

To clarify, it is something we have talked about and we are for sure interested in it. Unfortunately it isn't as easy as a checkbox and will require some serious looking into.

So it's something that may not happen for a long time...and might not happen at all. But again, we do plan on looking into it further.

Nah, meaning was clear.
    Still its something some people very much want to see happen, so consider it motivation! :D

And its gotta be simpler than letting us change our whole race! :P
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Nah, I knew what you meant. I just think it's cool that you're even looking into it at all. It's something I'd like to have, but by no means expect.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Thanks for clarifying.

I better give my Deltalt's gender some more thought, in that case.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for clarifying.

I better give my Deltalt's gender some more thought, in that case.
    I'm planning on Gorn.... Female seems unlikely.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be "We will check the box that tries to satisfies almost everyone's desires"? Since any change that is made in any portion of the game will annoy at least one person.

Nonono, they're selling the "make everyone happy" checkbox just as soon as they release the "I win" button. Didn't you know?

And for the low price of 500,000 zen, 1,000,000,000 ec, and 1,000,000,000 refined dilithium. :P
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited March 2015

... Chocolate?

... I think we already have that in game.
  • heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jocelyn2 wrote: »
    Will the servers remember the sex change? I don't want to see some weird male/female hybrid scenario, ever.

Then I hope you've never watched the show, because there's plenty of gender getting bent in Star Trek, from the movies to almost all versions of the TV shows.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jocelyn2 wrote: »
    Will the servers remember the sex change? I don't want to see some weird male/female hybrid scenario, ever.
    The entitlement of someone, who thinks he has a right to deny options for others, just because they don't like it and that they'd be offended by someone else's character's appearance... Always gets me & the irony of it is just hilarious. :D:D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• themadpoet1themadpoet1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The entitlement of someone, who thinks he has a right to deny options for others, just because they don't like it and that they'd be offended by someone else's character's appearance... Always gets me & the irony of it is just hilarious. :D:D

I don't know if that's exactly what they meant. I think they mean accidental changing occurring because of bugs that persist. Like a thick bearded Tellarite head on a green bikini wearing Orion woman and being stuck that way. Not to say people shouldn't have the option to build whatever they want... but if I didn't want my character to look that way I would hate to be stuck like that because of some bug and be unable to fix it.

Though if I had to be a bearded Orion woman... Epic Beard. Yes. I'm sure there is some species out there with female facial hair that finds 'Bald face' women less appealing. :D

It's definitely a really great option. I roleplay two different aliens of my own design. They're the same species, but one is a woman and the other a man. They're essentially the same build too. It would be great to be able to switch genders and name one one to be able to free up another character slot to play something else.

I definitely think that if they implement this feature I'd like the option to freely change what my characters display name is. Though I imagine that could lead to a host of other problems. I could only imagine what the trolls will do. @_@
  • moonstone57moonstone57 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am all for this.

If my Trill dies in an epic TRIBBLE-up i can change the gender and say that its a new host!

Mind you i don't need an epic TRIBBLE-up to die, but it makes the hurt less.

I can also see a value to this if people share accounts. I have one toon that I do not play much, that my younger sister decided to play until she gets her own account. She complains about playing a guy.

PLEASE if this happens don't link it to loadouts in any way. :D
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can also see a value to this if people share accounts. I have one toon that I do not play much, that my younger sister decided to play until she gets her own account. She complains about playing a guy.

Yeah and that is so valid argument, because creating your own STO account take years...
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There are actually people that are offended by this? What is wrong with you, honestly?

What was proposed is a model swap on costume change or something similiar in a video game. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but this has nothing to do with "sex changes" and the like. It's a video game. I can already have two completely different characters by switching a costume - the "sex" option would just be that, another option.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,735 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    I am all for this.

If my Trill dies in an epic TRIBBLE-up i can change the gender and say that its a new host!

Mind you i don't need an epic TRIBBLE-up to die, but it makes the hurt less.

Oh! I never thought of that! That would've actually been really cool exclusive thing for Joined Trill. :)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh! I never thought of that! That would've actually been really cool exclusive thing for Joined Trill. :)

"Exclusive" stuff is not really Cryptic's thing. Universal makes sales. Or nothing at all XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    "Exclusive" stuff is not really Cryptic's thing. Universal makes sales. Or nothing at all XD
    Well... just look at how many of the KDF uniforms are race specific. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    There are actually people that are offended by this? What is wrong with you, honestly?

Indeed. I wonder what those complainers make of people having characters of a different gender to their own.

The only remotely reasonable argument is that it's immerson breaking on some level, but that boat sailed loong ago...
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    People are "offended" because being "offended" tends to be taken more seriously that "I don't need that so nobody else should have the option either." :cool:
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Offended by this subject? Heck wasn't it the first episode of TNG that had a male crew member in a female Starfleet Uniform Dress?

Enterprise-D_lieutenant_in_skant.jpg
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    Offended by this subject? Heck wasn't it the first episode of TNG that had a male crew member in a female Starfleet Uniform Dress?

Firstly, I'm not sure where anyone said they were offended by the idea, I know I said it has the potential should it be possible to do too often to devalue a character.

As for the picture, even he looks a little embarrassed.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm not sure where anyone said they were offended by the idea, I know I said it has the potential should it be possible to do too often to devalue a character.

If you don't want the option, you don't have to use it. That's the definition of "option."
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    If you don't want the option, you don't have to use it. That's the definition of "option."

I'm aware of this, hence I neither support, nor oppose the idea, I just feel it has a lot of impracticalities from a character point of view, all you need to do from a tech point of view is to add a model switch.

That there, is my position.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I hope that we will get a gender change option. And if its easier i prefer a mere cosmetical appearance change without any change for theskills/traits. That can´t be that hard

I always think about the Alien Avis. they can look like almost everything, from Cardassian to Gorn do they have a lot more cusomization options than normal Race Avis like Humans or Andorians. but why is it so hard to simply add the female customization options for males and vice versa?

It would just affect the skin/shape. THats something that we can change to some extent already
  • smithdecksmithdeck Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I for one would absolutely love this as a feature in STO, this is always something that I had thought about doing with at least three of my long standing characters.

Aswell as I, wanting to do it with my existing characters I would love to change my mind with future toons that I create probably during the Delta recruitment event. I also believe that having this option would allow new players to make a toon and change their minds later without needing to create new toons afterwards.

I know that Cryptic would need to do a great deal of R&D to make sure that this can work but it is definitely worth the development team to take the time to build on this. We all love customization and yet STO still in my mind lacks in that area as I only visit the tailor when a new outfit comes out.

I change my appearance probably once or twice in about 6 months so I think that the tailor feature is under used and I would love to get a change with the options that I can pick. Maybe if the changes got made I would use the tailor more often given more options offered by switching between the genders.

I think some work in this area would change the way that the community see's the game. That's just my opinion.
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe only have te gender change as an 'alien' only thing. So much else can be changed so why not?
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    dmt wrote: »
    Maybe only have te gender change as an 'alien' only thing. So much else can be changed so why not?

Hahaha... No. :rolleyes:
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    smithdeck wrote: »
    I for one would absolutely love this as a feature in STO, this is always something that I had thought about doing with at least three of my long standing characters.

Aswell as I, wanting to do it with my existing characters I would love to change my mind with future toons that I create probably during the Delta recruitment event. I also believe that having this option would allow new players to make a toon and change their minds later without needing to create new toons afterwards.

I know that Cryptic would need to do a great deal of R&D to make sure that this can work but it is definitely worth the development team to take the time to build on this. We all love customization and yet STO still in my mind lacks in that area as I only visit the tailor when a new outfit comes out.

I change my appearance probably once or twice in about 6 months so I think that the tailor feature is under used and I would love to get a change with the options that I can pick. Maybe if the changes got made I would use the tailor more often given more options offered by switching between the genders.

I think some work in this area would change the way that the community see's the game. That's just my opinion.

Why would it need much R&D if it was just a cosmetical change? No traits, skills just the model/shape?

If all those Alien customisations are possible, with horns, fangs, ridges,...why isn´t it possible to just change the look of the character.

Wih all the Grinding in the game, the R&D, the Rep. Systems and the Char. bound itemsit would be really expensive (too expensive) tro create another Char, level him/her up until that Toon has everything your other toon has.

I have several Fleet ships, Lobi weapons, Skills, Traits, Upgrades that i bought and i wouldn´t do it again, even with the Delta Recruit event because it would be too expensive.

I would create more characters if all items were account bound instead of Character bound, but so? No way! So i just ask for a simple cosmetic model/shape change