test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tailor - Gender Option?

senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Could an option be added to the tailor for use to change the Gender of our characters?

I know changing Race is not feasible at this point, given how its tied in to the trait system, but as far as I can tell, Gender seems to be mainly a cosmetic thing and seems to have little impact on actual game mechanics.
I mean you can already unlock both male and female costume sets on the same character, even if only Bridge Officers of the opposite sex can wear the clothes.

So why do we need such an option?
Well some people, like me, have characters that have been around since pretty much the launch of STO, thats 5 whole years, and over time ones preferences change and one might regret the choice one once made all those years ago. Or one simply might just want a bit of change after 5 years.

Now people might say "just roll a new character", but that really isn't a solution.
Sure it would let you create a fresh character with the gender choice of your prefence, however that would kind of mean giving up potentially 5 years of progress and character development, hundreds of hours of time and countless thousands of dilithium spent, and worst of all, discontinued items and accolades that can never again be obtained.
And for just simply wanting a cosmetic change of gender, that is just too high a price to pay.

We can already change our character identities significantly by editing the Name in the Biography UI, and by purchasing a rename token.
We can completely alter the appearance of our characters at a whim, from tall thin and handsome to short fat and hideous and anything in-between.
In light of all that customization freedom it only makes sense that we should get the option to change the gender of our characters as well.

Just ask captain Jane T. Kirk! :P

141?cb=20130812181442
Post edited by senatorvreenak on

Comments

• Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    It's something we've talked about and bring up occasionally. We need to do a little r&d first, but we'd like to offer that as an option for sure.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    An interesting idea certainly.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It's something we've talked about and bring up occasionally. We need to do a little r&d first, but we'd like to offer that as an option for sure.

Very very glad to hear that at least its on the table. :D
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I think the only graceful way to handle this in the Tailor would be to make gender a selectable option on each costume slot, like Uniform type is currently. That way, you could change the gender on a costume without breaking every other costume on the character.
  • Options
    phrgphrg Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Great to hear that it's being considered.
  • Options
    mavolio121mavolio121 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2015

My apologies... I do NOT want to /ruffle more 'feathers' that needs to be /ruffle(d)...

...but, when I was younger, my Grandfather once told me (and I swear he WAS a Vulcan): "Son, to just get through life, the best way to do that is just K-I-S-S." (TL;DR : just... Keep It Simply Simple) I do not want to sound like I am bashing anyone, I mean I AM straight as an arrow, just not narrow; and hey, what ever "cremes your 'twinkie'," it's all good... just please have respect for each other and all of us that "dont /see 'eye to eye'.

Live LONG and PROSPER!
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mavolio121 wrote: »
    My apologies... I do NOT want to /ruffle more 'feathers' that needs to be /ruffle(d)...

...but, when I was younger, my Grandfather once told me (and I swear he WAS a Vulcan): "Son, to just get through life, the best way to do that is just K-I-S-S." (TL;DR : just... Keep It Simply Simple) I do not want to sound like I am bashing anyone, I mean I AM straight as an arrow, just not narrow; and hey, what ever "cremes your 'twinkie'," it's all good... just please have respect for each other and all of us that "dont /see 'eye to eye'.

Live LONG and PROSPER!

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say?
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I remember when this was a thing in City of Heroes...some guy was getting harassed because he was playing this magical-girl sort of character, so he made one of his alternate costumes a big black guy with enough muscles to make the Terminator cry for Mommy.

Next time he got lewd tells, he switched costume, turned around, and suggested that the harassing guy put his mouth where his money and his words were.

Best. Anti-troll. Feature. Ever.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I remember when this was a thing in City of Heroes...some guy was getting harassed because he was playing this magical-girl sort of character, so he made one of his alternate costumes a big black guy with enough muscles to make the Terminator cry for Mommy.

Next time he got lewd tells, he switched costume, turned around, and suggested that the harassing guy put his mouth where his money and his words were.

Best. Anti-troll. Feature. Ever.

Haha Priceless! :D
  • Options
    xlesha911xlesha911 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Gender tailor option is completely stupid! I don't want to see someone changing from big muscle man to pretty girl in 1 second. :mad:

But i support C-Store gender change token ~1000zen...
  • Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xlesha911 wrote: »
    Gender tailor option is completely stupid! I don't want to see someone changing from big muscle man to pretty girl in 1 second. :mad:

In fairness, I can change my alien characters from a lean 7foot teal skinned giant, to a stumpy bloated monstrosity with pink and green-shaded skin,

Genders doesn't seem all that different to me xD
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    ironcaniacironcaniac Member Posts: 131 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    I don't want to see someone changing from big muscle man to pretty girl in 1 second. :mad:

"I thought I would assume a pleasing shape."

Such an option would make it easier to roleplay as an Alien shapeshifter. :D
    After only 4 months, 19 weeks, 134 days, it's here. It's real!
    wbur87.jpg
    U.S.S. Tempest
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It never ceases to amaze me how irrationally interested some people are in preventing others from doing things that don't affect them in the slightest. :confused:

I don't think I've ever even noticed someone switch their outfits in the game.
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sounds great, Make it so.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    jocelyn2jocelyn2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Will the servers remember the sex change? I don't want to see some weird male/female hybrid scenario, ever.
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job...

...because he will find an easy way to do it.

-Bill Gates
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    I have a handful of toons that this option could be useful on. :)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd rather have a species change, but thanks for your work in any case :)
    warpangel wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how irrationally interested some people are in preventing others from doing things that don't affect them in the slightest. :confused:

I don't think I've ever even noticed someone switch their outfits in the game.
    If I'm dating a girl, I don't want her to change into a male !
    Oh wait, this is STO... Move along !
    jocelyn2 wrote: »
    Will the servers remember the sex change? I don't want to see some weird male/female hybrid scenario, ever.
    Now that you mention it, I'm very curious of the result. And I'm ashamed to say, I almost wish for the bug to happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015

You're right. I mean, it's not like Star Trek has ever had shape shifting alien species who could do something like that.

Oh wait...

On topic, that's great to hear that you guys are looking into making this a thing. I'll definitely make use of that feature for my main who is a sort of chameleon-ish alien. I was getting by on just changing his skin colors, but I might make him into a full on shape shifter if/when we get this feature.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't know how I feel about this one... I know from a tech point of view it's fairly simple, you just add a model swap and it probably costs a name change, we can't sensibly make a toon, call them "Pete" then decide to make them a female toon in the tailor at say rear admiral and still have them called "Pete" now, can we?

I'm just thinking from a character point of view, it takes away from the character's value if you can just change these things on a whim.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    I think the only graceful way to handle this in the Tailor would be to make gender a selectable option on each costume slot, like Uniform type is currently. That way, you could change the gender on a costume without breaking every other costume on the character.

thats the best plan yet.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I don't know how I feel about this one... I know from a tech point of view it's fairly simple, you just add a model swap and it probably costs a name change, we can't sensibly make a toon, call them "Pete" then decide to make them a female toon in the tailor at say rear admiral and still have them called "Pete" now, can we?

I'm just thinking from a character point of view, it takes away from the character's value if you can just change these things on a whim.

If you are into RP theres nothing th says you have to do it.
    But far from everyone is into any kind of roleplay and just wants to play the game their way.

Your characters value is whatever you personally decide it to be, and STO would hardly be the first MMORPG to let people change the gender of their character.
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not like there's anything stopping people making a female character called Pete now anyway. I wholeheartedly support this idea, although I won't be holding my breath for it to happen any time soon.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Not like there's anything stopping people making a female character called Pete now anyway. I wholeheartedly support this idea, although I won't be holding my breath for it to happen any time soon.

Personally i think it would be awesome and perfectly timed if it could be implemented along with this years Summer Event. :cool:
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »

It doesn't take anything away at all, and in the case of alien gen changelings it actually strengthens the characters value, especially if gender were to become an independent option on costume slots.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    It was brought to my attention that my original comment might be mistaken for a promise.

To clarify, it is something we have talked about and we are for sure interested in it. Unfortunately it isn't as easy as a checkbox and will require some serious looking into.

So it's something that may not happen for a long time...and might not happen at all. But again, we do plan on looking into it further.
  • Options
    theuser2021theuser2021 Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I for one would love to have this feature in the tailor. It does work with the lore of Star Trek, we saw Quark change his sex and back again in Ds9. I'd like to imagine that in the future, between genetic resequencing, tissue regenerators, and other medical technologies that we haven't even imagined yet, that people will be able to change their sex as casually as we change shirts.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It was brought to my attention that my original comment might be mistaken for a promise.

To clarify, it is something we have talked about and we are for sure interested in it. Unfortunately it isn't as easy as a checkbox and will require some serious looking into.

So it's something that may not happen for a long time...and might not happen at all. But again, we do plan on looking into it further.

Thanks for the clarification, idk about others but I did not take it as a promise. The simple fact that it will be looked into is exciting.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think gender change should be 'gated' by a token you purchase in the C-store like you do fir name change.
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Unfortunately it isn't as easy as a checkbox and will require some serious looking into.

That was pretty much why I'm not holding my breath. It may be completely cosmetic from a gameplay perspective but I imagine it's a lot more complicated on the coding side.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Perfectly understandable, I just like that it's being considered.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade