What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help!! STO Keep Crashing and Artifacts

xpowerman2014xpowerman2014 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Graphical and Sound Issues
My system is as follows:

8GB RAM
R9 290

The game keep crashing from time to time. Its very random. The game will suddenly freeze. Then exit to desktop. Sometimes it will show some direct X error message. I tried everything from underclocking the card etc...Nothing seems to work.

I am thinking that my card is damaged. I tried looping Unigine heaven and Furmark for almost a day without any issues. I did memtest for 6hrs found nothing wrong with RAM. I did Prime95 etc on CPU nothing wrong. I even reinstall Windows 7 and the game. I tried window mode, full screen also the same.

Also, the problem appears to be on STO only. I am playing BF4 as well. No problems at all. Hence, I am unable to determine whats wrong with my computer.

I have a notebook thats using integrated Intel graphics but its working fine. But it does not support DX11 can only run on DX9. My PC running DX11 for STO.

Its really driving me nuts.......
Post edited by xpowerman2014 on

Comments

• psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think you will find others are having similar issues.

I too have your issue.

I don't think I did before....but then I had to switch my machine.....which made me get a new set of the graphic drivers and direct x and C++ runtime things....

Anywise I started getting these issues a lot.

I was able to stop one error by turning off the post processing and I think dynamic lights....

but is till get another freeze and crash but mostly this happens when I have my UI up and am looking at ships or my skills or something..

In addition I noticed the client isn't saving data or for that matter getting data.....so sometimes I find my bridge crew no longer manning any stations when I change areas.....or I find all my power bars messed up.

So not sure what they did on their end but I am sure this is all related.

Not sure...the client crashes a lot....even when I shutdown it most of the time crashes out instead of ending correctly.

The super sad part is the cryptic error message thing also crashes and disappears along with the client.....so no data is ever collected fast enough or sent.

I am personally thinking of using a newer graphics card....but if I get the same issues still.....lmao
    and I have to go buy it......and I am not wanting to do that...well ok I am sort of wanting anywise....but its still an added expense I don't want to have to have.

They had this issue before a while back and they eventually fixed it....wonder if they accidently re-introduced it when they changed some things....

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• kmcgunkmcgun Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have the same issues, they started to appear when I upgraded my system with an R9 290.
    Tried to reinstall, used different drivers, tried to turn off multiple options in the settings - no effect.

Additionally, the launcher itself crashes very often recently or does not connect to the server at all, if the game doesn't crash, I also get disconnected from the server quite frequently, which makes the game nearly unplayable at the moment.
  • sgtkokkensgtkokken Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is a workaround for the artifacts, go to options --> graphics and set SSAO (Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion) to off, and Shadows to low

That will remove 99% of the artifacts.

Alternative, remove AMD Omega drivers and install the previous AMD GFX driver.

Running on a R9 285x myself and are too lazy to remove the drivers :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LLAP