test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Firefly Online Player Male Voice Actor announced and it is...

timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Ten Forward
... WIL WHEATON?

Why does Firefly Online have Wil Wheaton and STO doesn't?

Answer me this Cryptic!!! lol

They also got Michael Dorn, but then we got him, too, so...

Oh and they will have the entire Original Cast, too!!!

Cryptic really needs to up their Voice casting now to stay competitiv! ;)

No, kidding, guys. Picardo, Ryan, Wang and all the others are great, too. :)

Edit: Oh, can a mod please correct the thread title typo please? Thanks. ;)
11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wesley is one of the most universally reviled characters in Trek, and Wil Wheaton's too closely tied to the character to do anything else in the franchise without drawing the comparison (even though I acknowledge Trek has a habit of using background actors in multiple roles) Anything he did, would only be inviting abuse, so the devs probably know better than to offer him the work...

Equally, actors are just people doing a job. They do what they're hired to do, and if Firefly Online was willing to give him a gig, it's unlikely he'd turn it down, as money's money and work's work...

I'm surprised they haven't got Nathan Fillion, as he was desperate to get Firefly going again (unless he already is doing VOs in it which I'm not aware of :P )
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They have Mal Reynolds as a character in the game. a while ago, they revealed his reference model. And they seem pretty confident to reunite the entire crew, soo. :)
    edited February 2015
    timelord79 wrote: »
    They have Mal Reynolds as a character in the game. a while ago, they revealed his reference model. And they seem pretty confident to reunite the entire crew, soo. :)

Voiced by Nathan Fillion? Pretty awesome if they have got everyone involved again :cool:
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Voiced by Nathan Fillion? Pretty awesome if they have got everyone involved again :cool:

i don't know if they have him under contract yet, but that's at least their intend.

Edit: They had him in that trailer, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y98otfH9X8
    edited February 2015
    i don't know if they have him under contract yet, but that's at least their intend.

Edit: They had him in that trailer, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y98otfH9X8

That's true... I guess only time will tell :cool:
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ... WIL WHEATON?

Answer me this Cryptic!!! lol
    Because, while Wil Wheaton is known to play the game, even he hates Wesley Crusher.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Lol, finally, something that actually looks interesting.

Downloading that cortex thing and see if I'll pay for the Big Hero Package.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Isn't the Firefly Universe just a highly complex star system? So exploring the galaxy on your ship is actually impossible.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Isn't the Firefly Universe just a highly complex star system? So exploring the galaxy on your ship is actually impossible.

Yes. Four or so stars, each with its own planets, all orbiting one large central star.

There's also no such thing as FTL travel, either -- all space travel involves accelerating to relativistic velocities via a mass-lightening doohickey.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited February 2015
    Wesley is one of the most universally reviled characters in Trek, and Wil Wheaton's too closely tied to the character to do anything else in the franchise without drawing the comparison (even though I acknowledge Trek has a habit of using background actors in multiple roles) Anything he did, would only be inviting abuse, so the devs probably know better than to offer him the work...

Actually, STO would offer a reasonably good opportunity to correct the Wesley character, show a maturity that came with time and experience. Not sure how they're going to get around his somewhat Q-like training by the Traveler, but that is what sci-fi is for. Get someone like Diane Duane, someone the fans like and trust, to write the story arc.
    edited February 2015
    Actually, STO would offer a reasonably good opportunity to correct the Wesley character, show a maturity that came with time and experience. Not sure how they're going to get around his somewhat Q-like training by the Traveler, but that is what sci-fi is for. Get someone like Diane Duane, someone the fans like and trust, to write the story arc.
    Yes, I think a character correction is possible, but equally, I can see fans being too 'militant' about if STO can supercede TNG canon, and unless it was very well handled, I could see another DR fiasco, so I'd be very surprised if they did pursue it (but could potentially be interesting if handled properly :cool: )
    edited February 2015

Wesley seems like he would be an OP character due to him being able to stop time. The only other OP character in STO is Q Jr and he is delegated to doing just Events since the devs removed State of Q for some reason. So it would end up being why does Wesley need our help when he could do it himself.
  • makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Watch out for the Reavers. They bite.
    -Makbure
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015

i dunno where you got that idea from, both reviled and inviting abuse? wesley is far from the worst character you could of had on the show, to me 7of9 was even worse, her wooden acting and monotone voice... thw writers chose a wonder kid idea which didnt work. are you going to blame that on wil wheaton to try have a chance to turn wesley crusher into a more serious character by giving him the chance? if cryptic come up with something good that wesley the time traveler can do, then they should bring him on board.

as for michael dorn, hes done a lot of voice over work over the years, one of those includes doing work for ME2 as a krogan. hes clearly looking for some money wherever he can get it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wil Wheaton reprising his role as Wesley Crusher would be awesome. Cryptic could do a very good job of rehabilitating the character if they wanted to.

That being said... Wil Wheaton was a teenager during TNG. He was screwed over by the people in charge, and he was treated like garbage by Star Trek fans who wanted him (and/or his character) to die.

Anybody remember what it was like for them when they were a teenager? Getting bullied? Not being popular? Getting made fun of?

Why in Sisko's name would we want to drag Wil Wheaton back into that? Not saying I wouldn't want to see Wesley Crusher return, but not at the expense of forcing an adult to relive their awkward and painful teenage years all over again for our entertainment.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    to me 7of9 was even worse, her wooden acting and monotone voice...

Because she was a liberated drone who had been assimilated since childhood with no time to develop like humans do.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2015

That is what I'm more concerned about. I liked Firefly and I like to see the original cast get to do VOs and I even like Wil Wheaton, but the Firefly universe wasn't explored all that deeply at all. Firefly online is probably like STO in that regards, only that they can quite liberally expand since nothing is known and Cryptic butchers Star Trek canon left and right because they actually wanted another franchise/original game but got stuck doing this...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited February 2015
    i dunno where you got that idea from, both reviled and inviting abuse? wesley is far from the worst character you could of had on the show, to me 7of9 was even worse, her wooden acting and monotone voice... thw writers chose a wonder kid idea which didnt work. are you going to blame that on wil wheaton to try have a chance to turn wesley crusher into a more serious character by giving him the chance? if cryptic come up with something good that wesley the time traveler can do, then they should bring him on board.

as for michael dorn, hes done a lot of voice over work over the years, one of those includes doing work for ME2 as a krogan. hes clearly looking for some money wherever he can get it.

Please note I said 'one of'... ;) And as for inviting abuse, well, how about a load of pissed off Wesley Bashers posting hate threads, either on forum, or direct to Wil Wheaton's social media? Sure, it comes with the territory (especially if you're JJ Abrams) but I wonder if he might rather stay clear, as he seems to be doing okay away from the TrekVerse...

As for Michael Dorn, absolutely excellent example. At the end of the day, actors're just folks doing a job for cash. Heck, I've heard Marley McClean do a VO for lube :eek: :D
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ... WIL WHEATON?

I hate to suggest this, but could it be possible that since he is an actual gamer, he has an informed understanding of the seriousness game's flaws especially post-DR, and does not want to work with Cryptic for that reason, until/unless it's fixed? A wish not to be associated with a struggling product, in other words... :-/

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited February 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I hate to suggest this, but could it be possible that since he is an actual gamer, he has an informed understanding of the seriousness game's flaws especially post-DR, and does not want to work with Cryptic for that reason, until/unless it's fixed? A wish not to be associated with a struggling product, in other words... :-/

Or it could be that he doesn't want to hear his voice while playing the game. People play games so that they can get away from thinking about work. Having his voice in the game would mix up his work and play together and ruin whatever satisfaction he might have with playing the game. However, that is pure speculation into someone's intent and only he would know the reasons why he would or not lend his voice to STO.
    edited February 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

That's a stretch.

Pretty sure it has more to do with the fact he's not that thrilled about taking a trip back to memory lane when he was a teenager and a bunch of people wanted him to die.

And the players of STO are just as toxic and venomous as the fans were when he was playing Wesley Crusher. Why would he want to go through that again?

He's made it crystal clear on several occasions that the memories of his time on TNG were not fond memories. Mostly due to the fans, not the cast he worked with (he said they were great to him). But also the producers/executives had a habit of trying to keep him tied up in TNG and away from other projects he was offered to do, despite the fact his character was not really going anywhere.

Can you imagine being a teenager and having thousands of people shamelessly wish death upon you?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited February 2015
    Wesley seems like he would be an OP character due to him being able to stop time. The only other OP character in STO is Q Jr and he is delegated to doing just Events since the devs removed State of Q for some reason. So it would end up being why does Wesley need our help when he could do it himself.

So, you de-power the character for the arc. Have adult Wesley appear with no understanding of how he got there, nor why he's de-powered. The arc deals with helping him solve the mystery. Whether it puts him back among the up-and-coming of the universe, or just a clever engineer settling back into Starfleet is up to the writers (and TPTB).
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I certainly get that his TNG experience was often not enjoyable--and I agree that even when things were at their worst, there was no excuse for death threats or bullying, especially against someone people should have been smart and moral enough to realize was a real-life CHILD.

That said, it does seem to me that his more recent work on Big Bang Theory, while focusing on a caricatured version of HIM as the character rather than Wesley, does very directly acknowledge the Star Trek fandom, even creates a sort of re-enactment of a "bad fan" situation with Sheldon, and raises the possibility to coming into contact or at least onto the radar of Star Trek fans again. Had I been in his situation I am not sure I could have done that, but it seems like maybe he's rather bolder than I am in that regard and that is why I do feel that other possibilities regarding STO participation merit consideration.

(As for me, I actually enjoyed some of the later Wesley episodes..."The First Duty" most of all, and also watching him call out Picard and the Federation on its disgusting DMZ treaty in "Journey's End"--gold, because I always love seeing Picard get called out on his political tool-ism...and I think that when the episodes focused on a mature, relatable theme, they could actually be decent if not actually good. And I consider "The First Duty" outright good.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited February 2015
    I'm also a fan of Wesley Crusher -- I have no problems admitting I wished I was him when I was younger, namely since he was the only relatable character on the show for me at the time.

But you can't really change the past. Star Trek fans are ghouls. They have no issues bullying a child actor -- just look at what happened to Jake Lloyd (the actor who played Anakin Skywalker in TPM), he completely lost it and had a lot of issues growing up as a result of that. He even went as far as to burn all of his Star Wars paraphenalia.

Point is, each child actor deals with their experiences differently. Wil Wheaton deals with his experiences in his own way. The one time he returned to Star Trek was in Nemesis, when he was in a deleted scene. That was about it.

I think in an alternate reality where Star Trek fans weren't ghouls, weren't disparagingly cruel to Wil Wheaton or his character on TNG, we could actually see Wesley Crusher as a recurring character in the game.

He has no issues working on the cheap for the fans, and there's literally nothing stopping Christine Thompson or Jesse Heinig from incorporating his character into STO. For all we know, Wesley Crusher could have been the captain of the Enterprise-F.

Unfortunately, the past is the past. Wil Wheaton was treated like TRIBBLE in TNG, and he's very much aware of how hated his character was and continues to be.

Maybe people shouldn't be douchebags to actors just in case things like this crop up in the future.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There's also the fact that the last time we saw Wesley (aside from a deleted scene, which doesn't count), he was going off with the Traveler, in a scene not that far above being tempted into a panel van with "FREE CANDY" spray-painted on the side. Unless there was something showing that he had repudiated the Traveler, I don't think Wil would be that interested in doing the part.

Of course, he could always be hired to play someone who isn't Wesley Crusher - he's an actor, after all...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Wil Wheaton reprising his role as Wesley Crusher would be awesome. Cryptic could do a very good job of rehabilitating the character if they wanted to.

That being said... Wil Wheaton was a teenager during TNG. He was screwed over by the people in charge, and he was treated like garbage by Star Trek fans who wanted him (and/or his character) to die.

Anybody remember what it was like for them when they were a teenager? Getting bullied? Not being popular? Getting made fun of?

Why in Sisko's name would we want to drag Wil Wheaton back into that? Not saying I wouldn't want to see Wesley Crusher return, but not at the expense of forcing an adult to relive their awkward and painful teenage years all over again for our entertainment.

using your analogy, a kid that is constantly bullied will either keep running or stand and attack his bully and make them think twice. in this case flying head first into the haters faces and slapping a few by doing some good and will give wheaton some respect in the process. you cant keep running from them forever, eventually they will corner you again.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.