test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Support the Whales of STO

iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
uKeGIE3.jpg

Bring us Cetacean Ops for our starship or space station (or fleet holding) interiors. Thanks, Art Team!
ExtxpTp.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    That would be cool...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    uKeGIE3.jpg

Bring us Cetacean Ops for our starship or space station (or fleet holding) interiors. Thanks, Art Team!

I'd buy that for a dollar! ... well more actually!

Where did that artwork come from?
    server_hamster6.png
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just want one of those space dolphins as a BOFF. =3

I can see it now.

The day the dolphin BOff gets released. Entire groups of people beam into Kobali Prime with their fancy new BOff and take off running right into the fray.

Except now there's a pile of dolphins flopping about where everyone beams in at.

11/10 would buy
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    I'd buy that for a dollar! ... well more actually!

Where did that artwork come from?

Andrew Probert. Apparently he did some concept artwork for STO when it was with Perpetual. This was how he pictured Cetacean Ops on the Enterprise-D to look like. Obviously, it was never shown in the series due to the prohibitive cost, but it was mentioned in background chatter, and Geordi LaForge had one lines cut in some episode where he asks someone if they "Saw the dolphins." (in reference to them visiting Cetacean Ops).
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I can see it now.

The day the dolphin BOff gets released. Entire groups of people beam into Kobali Prime with their fancy new BOff and take off running right into the fray.

Except now there's a pile of dolphins flopping about where everyone beams in at.

11/10 would buy

Well... we already have Xindi-Aquatic duty officers. I'm sure they could hang out with the cetaceans.

Don't forget to have your Orca Bridge Officer wear an environmental suit when mining in the Vlugta Asteroid Field.

latest?cb=20100803020948
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • historynerd1historynerd1 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I love this idea!! William Shatner loves whales, and so do I.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Go and have a wee, the second act gets considerably weirder." -Tim Minchin
  • phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I agree wholeheartedly. The friendship and respect we hold towards our future aquatic allies should be reflected in STO.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    But...but...we're told interiors don't sell. If we aren't offered anything meaningful to do inside our current interiors, what could Cryptic offer for Cetacean Boffs to actually do?

And this is coming from someone who actually supports the suggestion. :cool:
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I cast "Summon Bigger Fish"!
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The novel Dark Mirror, by Diane Duane, had a Delphine Starfleet officer who was essential to the story. The mechanics of enabling Commander Whee! to function while on ENT-D were laid out and explained nicely without any deus ex machina or immersion breaking effects.

This novel would be a good template if the Devs decided to add Delphine BOffs. Most of it is already in game and should be adaptable.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I thought dolphins were reputed to be great at navigation. This could be cool if they ever did exploration again. There ought to be uncharted space that you could work to map. Perhaps cetacean boffs could give some type of bonus to these activities.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The novel Dark Mirror, by Diane Duane, had a Delphine Starfleet officer who was essential to the story...
    Thanks for reminding me of that novel; it was an interesting read. And yes, Cetacean Ops would be a worthy addition to a starbase or spire interior.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    dolphin boffs rank right up there with gekos dinosaurs imo.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Dolphin DOFFs yes, dolphine BOFFs no.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Space dolphins and whales..
    Hell yeah.

This idea gets 2 flippers up ..and a tail, and a dorsal fin.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    Dolphin DOFFs yes, dolphine BOFFs no.
    So 'yes' to a Space Zombie BOff, an enemy cyborg BOff, an enemy dinosaur BOff, an enemy Frosty the Snowman BOff but a "No!" to a friendly dolphin BOff?

That's discrimination, Man! That ain't right! :P
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • tjsinclairtjsinclair Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    spockout1 wrote: »
    I thought dolphins were reputed to be great at navigation. This could be cool if they ever did exploration again. There ought to be uncharted space that you could work to map. Perhaps cetacean boffs could give some type of bonus to these activities.

I am so glad someone brought up Dark Mirror. If not, I would have. Commander Hwii was an awesome character (and awesomely voiced by John DeLancie on the audiobook, too).

On the whole, I think I'd rather have doffs than boffs, but I'll take Cetaceans any way I can get them.
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would pay 20 bucks for a Cetacean bridge officer that flies around in a hoversuit. I'm sure some of the "whales" of STO would gladly pay for a full away team of them. ;D
    edited March 2015
    dolphin boffs rank right up there with gekos dinosaurs imo.

You mean you think they're different, interesting, silly in that old-school TOS way, and just generally fun?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I support this. A ship/starbase interior would be neat and I'd love to see dolphin doffs that benefit navigation skills :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jexsamx wrote: »
    You mean you think they're different, interesting, silly in that old-school TOS way, and just generally fun?

no, i mean that i think dolphin boffs would be stupid.
  • idashlaidashla Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That would be cool, but add the Xindi Aquatics swimming around with those dolphins, and you have it right.
    ZNju0ze.jpg
    edited March 2015
    no, i mean that i think dolphin boffs would be stupid.

Then why did he compare them to the dinosaurs? I don't understand. :confused: