test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FT6 as a means for updating old ships to T6

jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
Some ships were released to the C-Store as Fleet-level out of the gate. The Odyssey, Vesta, etc.

What if we used the inevitable release of T6 Fleet ships as a means of updating these ships, both in stats and BOff seats?

Imagine - FT6 Odyssey with a Lt. Cmdr Universal/Command BOff seat. FT6 Vesta with a Lt. Intel seat.

This could even be extended to older T5 ships that don't have a C-Store counterpart, such as the Luna or DSSV or Star Cruisers. FT6 versions would have slightly different BOff layouts, to avoid selling exactly the same ship twice in situations where you might already have a FT5U ship - for instance, an FT6 Luna might have an Intel seat and a Lt. Cmdr Tac seat.

This method would address player demands for Command Flagships neatly and provide an avenue for playing with old ships by given them new BOff seats.

Thoughts?
Post edited by jexsamx on

Comments

• Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    No.

Why?

Because the company would like to make money off of double dipping.

Might as well close this thread and add such T5 upgrade to T6 topics to the FCT.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Never gonna happen. Why sell you a 500 Zen T6F token, when they can sell you a full T6F ship for 3,000 Zen?! Remember, Greed is eternal!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    And what's better than lazily selling more fleet modules off of little more than some tinkering in the code to change stats and BOff seats around? No bogging down the art guys with new ship skins - they need to keep working on the next lockbox ships and expensive bundle ships.

Besides. Some of these have no C-Store counterpart. That Luna variant? It'll cost at minimum 4 Fleet modules, perhaps 5, or even 6 to set it on par with C-Store T6 ships. And while I don't think they'd be quite this cruel, there's really no reason to think they'd offer a discount if you have the FT5 already, upgraded or not.

Cryptic haters got their blinders on so tight they can't even come up with a pessimistic way to make this work. Gotta let the "CDF member" be pessimistic for them. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    I actually think the OP is spot on, here.

Now, with that said, I don't think EVERY old T5 ship will get an update... I think the Oddy and Vesta are prime candidates for the new fleet holding. This would not require Cryptic to cannibalize the current 3-packs of these ships, nor would it require a new console to be created (leaving both ships with 3-piece console sets). Admittedly, the Command Battlecruisers opened the door for 4-piece console sets, and the 11/13 model that Fleet T6 will have... so, I suppose they could flip the Oddy and Vesta into 4-packs... but, there's no precedence for 4-packs.

I think "hero ships" like the Defiant and Galaxy will be reserved for new C-Store offerings when appropriate... and I am less optimistic about ships like the Sovereign, Luna, Tempest, Prometheus, Excelsior, and the like.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    The Sovereign class is still technically a hero class because she was the class the Enteprise-E was and saw action in three movies. The Galaxy class Enterprise-D only saw one movie, granted she did have a series before that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    Might as well close this thread and add such T5 upgrade to T6 topics to the FCT.

It's not an upgrade and has nothing to do with upgrading.

I'm talking about outright selling an FT6 ship with old ship skins for full Fleet ship price, plus whatever markup they may include for being T6. Just like you could buy a FT5 MVAE but didn't have to have to C-Store MVAE before.

Effectively, I'm talking about unabashed double-dipping. Obviously where C-Store Fleet-grade equivalents exist, we'd expect to see a discount, but in cases like the Luna or Star Cruisers, they'd be stuck at full price. And all for relatively minimal work.

You could label is greedy, but it would address player requests/demands, provide income, require minimal new assets, and expand the number of truly viable T6 ships at endgame by quite a bit. Everybody wins.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Besides. Some of these have no C-Store counterpart. That Luna variant? It'll cost at minimum 4 Fleet modules, perhaps 5, or even 6 to set it on par with C-Store T6 ships. And while I don't think they'd be quite this cruel, there's really no reason to think they'd offer a discount if you have the FT5 already, upgraded or not.

This is what I'm worried about the most... what will these things cost? 40,000 FCs and 5 FSMs per ship is not crazy talk, sadly. :roll eyes:

This is also why I think the Fleet T6 offerings will be limited... all of the Delta Pack ships, plus the Pathfinder, will almost certainly get a FT6 variant. (The Command Battlecruisers won't, IMO, because they are already at the 11/13 mark.) You could employ a discount fairly easily on these, much similar to the current system. You could do the same with the Oddy and Vesta, since they have no FT5 variants (a discount here would not TRIBBLE over current bundle owners, and would help give a reason to continue to sell the current 3-packs, as is).
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Sovereign class is still technically a hero class because she was the class the Enteprise-E was and saw action in three movies. The Galaxy class Enterprise-D only saw one movie, granted she did have a series before that.

I agree, but Geko loves him some Galaxy (apparently). So, this makes me think that the Excelsior and Sovereign will get the Ambassador-class treatment.

I hope I'm wrong!
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am all for options to upgrade ships we have already invested so much into, to take advantage of new T6 mechanics like Intelligence and Command abilities and bridge officer seating.

If someone wants to upgrade their Fleet Heavy Cruiser into a Command Constellation-class? I say let them.

I don't mind giving money to Cryptic, but I would prefer not to be price-gauged on double-dipping. They painted themselves into this corner with this monetization.

Even the $7 upgrade tokens to T5-U are too much. Too much zen for too little performance.

I stand by my original feedback before Delta Rising -- give us a very clear and concise pathway from T5 to T6. Cut the buzzwords and marketing doublespeak and allow your loyal players who have already made their choice of ship to be just as awesome and shiny as any new T6 ship.

I'm okay with monetization. I'm not okay with unethical monetization. The current pathway they are on is ethically questionable from my perspective.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    I am all for options to upgrade ships we have already invested so much into, to take advantage of new T6 mechanics like Intelligence and Command abilities and bridge officer seating.

If someone wants to upgrade their Fleet Heavy Cruiser into a Command Constellation-class? I say let them.

I don't mind giving money to Cryptic, but I would prefer not to be price-gauged on double-dipping. They painted themselves into this corner with this monetization.

Even the $7 upgrade tokens to T5-U are too much. Too much zen for too little performance.

I stand by my original feedback before Delta Rising -- give us a very clear and concise pathway from T5 to T6. Cut the buzzwords and marketing doublespeak and allow your loyal players who have already made their choice of ship to be just as awesome and shiny as any new T6 ship.

I'm okay with monetization. I'm not okay with unethical monetization. The current pathway they are on is ethically questionable from my perspective.

^^ Words I find myself 100% in agreement with!

Still don't think they're gonna do it; but we can hope. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Honostly, here's how i think they should do it, and it would get them a ton of cash for little work:

T5U -T6 upgrade = 3000 zen (many, many players would pay it for their favorites)

Traits for these T6 ships would be the same as their unique console (unless the console is part of a set), effectively allowing you to get the effect without losing a console slot

And 1 use, limit 1 per ship T6 seat upgrade tokens to add specializations as follows:

Lt = 1000 zen
    Lt Commander = 2000 zen
    Commander = 3000 zen

Limited effort, gaurunteed windfall of cash ... i mean thats $60 for a T6 with commander spec seat and the assets already exist ... i know my eng would be back in his sovereign tomorrow if they did this, and id still have to buy the upgradeable c-store version cause i was using the odessey before getting the guardian, so that's even more cash.

People will literally hand you their wallets for their favorite ships cryptic, remember that.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Devil's Advocate: People will hand Cryptic their wallets for a flat-out T6 re-release as well. Pathfinder proved that very well, and the Galaxy fans are quite willing as well, as long as it's an Eng-version of the Pathfinder's setup, except the Hybrid seat would be on Tac (Defiant would also share the same setup; just in Tac flavor, with Sci taking the Hybrid).

As far as the 3-pack ships go, it's possible they "could" release T6 versions as part of a T6 Fleet holding, or they would just release a T6 3-pack to TRIBBLE on previous owners, if they refuse to go back and grandfather previous owners of them to the updated packs.

The T5U version are practically at Fleet T6 level; they just need a Mastery Trait and 1 more Boff seat, so I'm hoping that they just do the latter; and grandfather existing owners of the bundle ships over to T6 and up the old cost to 6000 for new and future buyers.
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Although I am really enjoying my command cruiser, I wouldn't mind adding some intel or command stuff to my old Atrox, or better yet a Vesta.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    lawstanzlawstanz Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Nothing but a guess on my part, but I see 2 possible routes Cryptic could take:

1) Say, "sorry" and make FT6 versions of the Oddy, Bort, Vesta, etc as seperate full price c-store purchases.

2) Create a new "super upgrade token" in the 1000 zen area that will let people take their T5U ships to FT6.

Personally, I just don't see Cryptic letting regular upgrade tokens be enough to jump a tier level, even if though the distinction between FT5U and T6 is vanishingly small. Eventually they're gonna have to stop stringing along the T5U and say enough is enough. For whatever it's worth, I also expect new c-store "refit" T6 versions of the vanilla T5 Sovereign, Luna, Prometheus, etc. that will be upgradable to FT6 via tokens along with the intel, pathfinder, dauntless and other non-FT6 level ships.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Does nobody else realise that Cryptic has ideas for more Specs & ships already? Not all will come Fleet level from the store & will get Fleet upgrades later. Stop looking into the past, Cryptic did.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I bet sooner or later we will see almost all ships we currently have as Tier 5u in a tier 6 revamp. The major problem cryptic faces here is that under current game design they have to come up with an individual mastery trait for every one of them so in other words development costs.

I’m afraid to me this sounds more like a “we want 3k zen from you for that” than just a “grab one of our fleet module pack and upgrade your fleet” deal.

Tier 6 Odyssey and Vesta packs would mean a cool seller for them. The prices are 3k for one ship 6k for all 3 I do believe. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cryptic have gone very quiet on T6 Fleet ships .
    For me that means one of two things:

They have either scrapped the whole notion or they put it on the back burner and they are riding the current Trait & Tree pony for as long as it's good (aka as long as you let them with your spendings on the current model) .

... after all, by their reckoning their T5U model scratches that itch to play the Classics without taking too much of a bite out of their current scheme ... . They are in the businesses of selling systems and power after all ... , and they don't have to make missions to feed the current scheme , unlike the Reputation scheme = money saved + the money gets funneled into systems for the new scheme ... -- and who are the systems guys? Our former EP for one ...
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    started a thread some time ago on kinda the same topic:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1353631

i'll qoute this:
    wast33 wrote: »
    [...-regarding possible upgrade path-...]
    - gain ship mastery levels for t5-u

- gain one boff-ability slot with t6 (for former fleet t5 which already got the 11th console slot)

- fleet level would persist over upgrade process, so that upgrading non-fleet t5's up to fleet t6 level still would gain the 11th console slot for the last step from t6 to fleet level.

for a non fleet ship using an upgrade path this would mean:
    - one upgrade module to t5-u (or however it's called)

- one whatever token (non existent yet) from t5-u to t6 (1k zen max f.e.?; at least t5-u status mandatory to being able to upgrade a ceratin ship to t6)

- one fsm for bringing it to fleet t6 (fleet t5 level would carry over; or even possible to get lost, so 500zen/ one fsm more per ship)

- no starship traits (5th mastery level) for any of the old ships

this would mean like up to ca. 1500 zen at least for bringing t5's to fleet t6, while still leaving the traits exclusively to new releases and so keep em attractive. even more with the specilization slots (intel/command-officer/whatever comes next).
    now there's like millions of ships out there they still could make money with, but it's refused :confused:.
    [...]
    [...]
    but i can't see the monetary advance they gain through running this policy :(. indeed i think it's nothing but shortsighted in comparison to what they could make by letting us upgrade what we got:
    - least ressources to put in (it's all there)
    - most gain (LOTS of t5's out there)
    [...]
    old ships means the least input costs to alternate, while a lot of em are around. so the lesser profit per unit would/could/should(?) be outweighted just by the number of potential upgrades on older ships.
    + they still would sell those t6's, as they are the ones that brings new traits and intel/command/whatever there comes seatings.
    in my book that sounds like a winwin while the way we got it only leaves a win and some bumped players.

as u said: fleet t5-u doesn't have any advantage over fleet t6. indeed fleet t6 got the 11 cons, one more boff ability and like the same bonus to hull and so on (if not more; all t6 event and lockbox ships already are on that level). it's superior like t5 is to t4 imo.
    just for the record: with the discrepancy that there are a hell lot of more t5 models than t4's! this is a big discrepancy and really they never should've leave all those t5's behind. as for me it's like sayin: "yeah dude, u collected every single lockbox-, lobi- and many of the fleetships u wanted. now plz delete em all and start allover". how i not should feel pi****, or how can one get to the idea that it will encouraging long-time players to start allover?:confused: [...]

i think that's it about my opinion on the topic lol :D...
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    because for everyone willing to spend 30 bucks there are 20 willing to spend 5.

especially when you are talking about people like me who dont habituate well, and wont spend unless im going to get my monies worth.
    which im just not going to, due to there being no pvp worth talking about, a guarantee of obsolescence within 6 months, and little not a link between cost and ingame value.

either cryptic start releasing stuff im going to find value in, with a context of them holding that value, or my wallet stays closed.

Also usually a fleet ship costs more them 1 module.
    I think t6 fleet will be 5 or 6 modules.

May be the 1 module thing stays for those who have a cstore t5 but.... I believe a lot who purchased those won't pay full price for the same ship again.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Also usually a fleet ship costs more them 1 module.
    I think t6 fleet will be 5 or 6 modules.

May be the 1 module thing stays for those who have a cstore t5 but.... I believe a lot who purchased those won't pay full price for the same ship again.

Fleet version with Z store ship already purchased - 1 module

Fleet version without Z store ship purchase - 4 modules

That's how it's worked before delta. So if you already own the ship by buying it from the Z store you get a huge discount module wise.

Taking that to the T6 level, 6 for ship without prior purchase, 2 for ships already purchased from the Z store. So yeah 6 modules isn't far off if you don't own the T6 ship you want a fleet version of I'd agree.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Consdiering the undiscounted price for the Fleet Excelsior is 5 modules, 6 would probably be on the low end of an undiscounted FT6. I wouldn't be too surprised to see 7.

Also - own the Oddy 3 pack. Own the Galaxy pack. Don't think I'll spend 6000 zen to re-buy the Oddy, so not sure how many people would.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Consdiering the undiscounted price for the Fleet Excelsior is 5 modules, 6 would probably be on the low end of an undiscounted FT6. I wouldn't be too surprised to see 7.

Also - own the Oddy 3 pack. Own the Galaxy pack. Don't think I'll spend 6000 zen to re-buy the Oddy, so not sure how many people would.

i won't get anymore t6's! i think i got all on my main xcept for the new 3-packs, but that's it for now for sure.
    and the bitter taste i would get if i'd had to buy any of the t5's i got on t6 for full price: bwahahaha :D... errrmmm.... nope!

i'd bring all my ships to fleet t6 for, let's say 2k zen max. that would be around 100k zen only from my main.
    but cryptic decided to not let me, so yeah. no 100k zen! saving money sometimes is so easy :D.