test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Am I the only one who'd like events shortened.

anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
Ok... Here is the deal:

I realize that events are an important part of MMOs for whatever reason beyond me...
The metrics support this and I am fine with the events, since they add a little flavor into the game every now and then.

However, I feel that the events are too long and too frequent.

For example: We just very recently had the Winter event, then we have the anniversary, next up is the CE event... Then we have a few months break before the mirror event (probably turns up) and then comes the Mirror event, and then the summer event, re-run of the CE and Mirror is probably next, and then back to winter event.

While I like the events, they do have the drawback that people put a great deal of effort into getting the rewards, which is perfectly understandable to me. Who dosen't like extra dil?

But right now, there is already an ongoing shortage of players in the public queues, and quite often, people only have a limited amount of time to play, wich is usually to a high degree consumed by the events.

I am wondering, if it's reasonable to reduce the event periods by maybe 25 - 50%, and open up more actual non-event gametime.
Obviously this would require increased rewards in terms of Q-thingies and what not, and this is where I see Cryptic might be reluctant in implementing such a change.

So... Question is: IS is a reasonable request, or am I a significant minority in feeling this way?
Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
Post edited by anazonda on

Comments

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd have to agree with you at least in so much as the events are taking players out of other areas of the game.
    PVE queues are dead enough without people spending all day farming omega traces or qmendations or whatever.
    Shortening the events, or possibly toning down the frequency might work. I don't know...I think there's so much wrong these days a proper fix is going to have to be pretty massive.

Personally i'm burned out on events and grinding out currencies to acquire free ships or other shiny rewards. Even with the discounts the grind really gets to you, and most of the rewards are pretty meh when you do get them.
    The anniversary event is too close to winter event to give anyone a break to enjoy flying their winter reward ship.

Also i'd really like to see them actually get people to log in through good game design, rather than by bribing us with shiny toys that end of a month long grind. Sure it gets their "metrics" up but it's killing the game because there's no "real" content anymore.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    @OP

I for one agree. I've solved it, for myself, whenever a game I play has some kind of event I grab the free stuff, do the dailies and when done go play another game. And I just rotate like that. In the end I don't have to do the long events or grinds, at all.

But as I've said before in other threads, it all comes from an archaic business idea that the longer the customer spend in the "store" the more likely he/she is to buy something. That is why. Guess they are not really on top of current events and how people shop today.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I tend not to do them myself, it's all extra grind at the end of the day.

But generally there are always more players suddenly around during event time, no doubt to get the grand prize on offer. And this time round the boosted EXP typically available will also be of particular interest I'm sure. Since these peak periods probably look good on a presentation slide I wouldn't expect them to consider reeling them back in a bit.

Maybe it's to appease the 'we want our hourlies back' crowd with the frequency and length of them?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wont see me complaining,for 10 minute a day "work" I just saved myself a ton of farming since i got a free T6 so keep the events coming,i want more :)

In all seriousness,nobody really makes you participate and Q's well lets not get started with that,unless you got a solid group of friends its a total nightmare to join a pug so it really shouldnt affect you that much.
    yeah, Omega grinding is a nice change of pace.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Events have become STO's endgame.
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The length of the events is just fine.

It helps people who may not be able to log in every day for, whatever reason, to get the big rewards. It also helps pad against outages. If they have to take the servers down to fix a problem, people will still have the ability to finish the event even with real life issues. Cryptic doesn't have to go back and extend the event since it's already been padded against disaster from the outset.

As far as queues go, You should grab some of your fleet mates, or friends and form a group to do those missions. If that is not in the cards, you can always hit up one of the many channels made for forming groups for PvE queues, PvP, or even patrol grouping.

I am certain Cryptic consults their metrics on how long the events should run so that the majority of players can get what they need.
  • Options
    j0hn41j0hn41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Maybe instead of reducing the frequency of event's, they could stop nerfing the queued mission rewards and make them less likely to result in failure, to entice people to actually play them.

For me, the events keep me logging in. Queued missions in their current state don't.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i think the OP is suggesting to give people more breathing room and require less days of grinding for the event rewards, rather than suggesting there are too many days of dilithium bonus.
    seriously guys...
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I certainly wouldn't complain, since right now the game is basically reduced to one event after another, playing the same thing endlessly for weeks. Grinds suck, dailies suck, I just wanna log on, do what I want, then log off when I'm done. Let the players choose when to do something, not have to do it now for in case some day later.

Heck, at least make the special item do the account-discount thing like with special ships. If you want the full dil and marks then yeah do 14 runs, but for just the shotgun or coff or whatever, just one per alt. Make the game less grindy.
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i think the OP is suggesting to give people more breathing room and require less days of grinding for the event rewards, rather than suggesting there are too many days of dilithium bonus.
    seriously guys...

I didn't get that from the OP's post.

But if he IS saying that he would like to shorten the length of time required to complete the event as opposed to shortening the overall duration, then yes, I would be in favor of that.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    One guy gets upset when an event goes too long, meanwhile every event before there has been someone demanding the event be extened because they couldn't get whatever reward.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2015
    Too many events

Events are too long

Events are almost back to back

a few members of my fleet are making 100 million ec every 3 or 4 days farming this event

I laff my TRIBBLE off when there boasting about doing this on team speak and I encourage them to rake in the bucks

Its awesome when new level 50s are driving around lock box ships in less than 2 weeks from a cheesy event

I laff at you cryptic
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    Ok... Here is the deal:

I realize that events are an important part of MMOs for whatever reason beyond me...
    The metrics support this and I am fine with the events, since they add a little flavor into the game every now and then.

However, I feel that the events are too long and too frequent.

For example: We just very recently had the Winter event, then we have the anniversary, next up is the CE event... Then we have a few months break before the mirror event (probably turns up) and then comes the Mirror event, and then the summer event, re-run of the CE and Mirror is probably next, and then back to winter event.

While I like the events, they do have the drawback that people put a great deal of effort into getting the rewards, which is perfectly understandable to me. Who dosen't like extra dil?

But right now, there is already an ongoing shortage of players in the public queues, and quite often, people only have a limited amount of time to play, wich is usually to a high degree consumed by the events.

I am wondering, if it's reasonable to reduce the event periods by maybe 25 - 50%, and open up more actual non-event gametime.
    Obviously this would require increased rewards in terms of Q-thingies and what not, and this is where I see Cryptic might be reluctant in implementing such a change.

So... Question is: IS is a reasonable request, or am I a significant minority in feeling this way?

Hmm. I think I understand the feeling. I noticed that I am very busy doing event-related stuff across my characters, but rarely have time to do other things.

That may be knida the point - keep people busy all the time so they log in daily "just until the event is over, than I'll do STFs again/level my alt". But there is already the next event around the corner. No one can complain "there is nothing to do in STO" anymore.

But maybe it has a negative impact. Slow queues may not be directly anegative impact, as long as people are still playing the game. But if people at some point feel burned out - it could be bad, if they aren't replaced by new players.

But then - the events might always attract old and new players, too, so it's not a net loss?
    kthang wrote: »
    @OP

I for one agree. I've solved it, for myself, whenever a game I play has some kind of event I grab the free stuff, do the dailies and when done go play another game. And I just rotate like that. In the end I don't have to do the long events or grinds, at all.

But as I've said before in other threads, it all comes from an archaic business idea that the longer the customer spend in the "store" the more likely he/she is to buy something. That is why. Guess they are not really on top of current events and how people shop today.
    You're saying it doesn't work like that anymore? That people have significantly changed their F2P spending behaviour? In what way has it changed?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Quite the contrary, I think there should be more events, of all lengths. Even overlapping ones.

Events represent variety, a change of pace from the standard routine. It keeps the game interesting. If you don't want to do a particular event, then don't.
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was saying this back during the last mirror incursion event. There were people forming groups for it all the time in the publicelitestf channel (it's not an stf, and they were making normal queues.... um, ok). It really was sucking the life out of the room. I noticed the same thing in the CE event before that but thought that was just a fluke because of how popular CCN/A already is.

The Winter event wasn't a problem since I noticed that the excitement over that tapered off after a week. This event, though, is just annoying because of the UI lag it's caused and the lag in the popular social zones that's made me totally avoid them.

Overall agree with the OP, but, whatever, it's a game and events won't die without me. The big exception for me is the summer event, which was awesome last year so it can last all summer. :)
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I should add that I think this thread shows that these events are self-defeating, too. With so many of them, eventually people are going to stop caring. So there's that.

Also too, the summer, winter, and anniversary events are traditions in this game that they're not going to stop any time soon.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    IMHO cryptic has the wrong concept of "events".

Events should be designed for fun's sake and not to force people to grind the same friggin mission for over two weeks just to see the light at the end of the tunnel and another three week grind approching. Stuff like the CC or mirror events are the best examples of this.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2015

it seems to me you have given the exact reason why cryptic will not alter the event parameters right there.

on a personal note I quite enjoy the events as they are, not only for the main rewards but also from the added exp, sxp, dil & sometimes EC & fleet marks I get from playing them and they also add a nice bit of variety throughout the year and give a welcome distraction from the normal routines.

how much do I enjoy the events?, I got the anniversary ship on the first day with qmendations saved and I am still playing both the q party mission and the particle game every day, that's how much.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hi OP.

I like the events and lengths, as others have said, it gives ppl a chance to get the prize, if they can't log in everyday. (Unless of course youre rolling in Lobi, and want to completely skip the event).
    However, I do agree they are a little too close together.
    I'd like a month or so off between events. Would give me some time to do what I want in game, and play stress free (sometimes getting your daily done can feel like a job tbh).

What I've done this past year is to compete as much as possible in these events, in the hopes that next year, I can chill out during events.
    For example, I've got spare pearls from the risa event last summer, also I've got about 5 or 6 thingies that drop from mirror invasion event. Etc..
    So this year should be easy. I've got spares from every event last year.

Mind you, grinding for "next year" is a little mind numbing admittedly, especially when you know you've already gotten this year's prize...but push through. If youre smart you can basically skip a year, if you plan appropriatly, and don't stop doing the daily once your prize is achieved.

But yeah, the frequency of events does get me a little down. So I'm with you there.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We play to have fun, and LOSING IS NOT FUN. Losing should be a penalty for doing something stupid or playing very poorly, not something that can hit you despite your best efforts. If you try hard and do what you're supposed to do and you lose anyway, you walk away feeling like you've wasted your time and subjected yourself to needless abuse. We get enough of busting our TRIBBLE for nothing in the real world, a game is supposed to be more fair and rewarding to promote enjoyment and a feeling of accomplishment. Taking away the carrot and hitting us with the stick will not keep us around. This is a game, it's an optional activity, and we will stop when it stops being fun. It's not a job, it's not paying our bills, we do not have to put up with feeling frustrated and pissed on. We put up with it in the real world because we have no choice. A game lacks that leverage to keep people from walking away.

For some people, losing is fun, as long as it happens to other people.

Generally the people that spout "Risk vs. Reward!" as a mantra, never mind that they've minimized their own risk to the absolute minimum and maximized their rewards. They need other people to fail to feel accomplishment.

While the percentage of the total player base that is like that is probably small I'd wager they spend far above their share on the game so Cryptic has a reason to cater to them.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's not a job, it's not paying our bills, we do not have to put up with feeling frustrated and pissed on. We put up with it in the real world because we have no choice. A game lacks that leverage to keep people from walking away.

In the end, a game like this is a fantasy world, an escape. Who fantasizes about being a frustrated loser who can't accomplish their goals? A game like this should make you feel like a winner, a success story, a hero. That's why we play. We want to be Captain Kirk, solving problems and beating the odds and winning the victories, not the redshirt that dies in the middle of the episode.

Very true, though I would caution against making things too easy across the board. People already were complaining things were too easy pre DR.
    But yeah the rewards reduction on normal will hurt (and is already) hurting the casual players.
    There is a huge divide between the top players and the up and comers. A 10 fold gap, while some are hitting 50k in random pugs, others are struggling around the 5k dps mark.

That I think is quite a serious issue. The power gap in other games is no where near as large as it is here. Its like night and day.
    A grand canyon sized divide between the top players and up and comers.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I had stopped doing those boring repetitive events back in 2013 after the Summer Event. I finished it with one character and found too boring to attempt it with others.

I did the new Anniversary event with 2 of my KDF chars but I just don't enjoy this type of "forced" play. My Feds will not get the Kobali ship. None of my chars did the 2014 Summer Event and I was away during the Winter Event. I would probably not have done it anyway. The only even I really like is Mirror Universe.

And those new STF's... The new Optionals that are not optional at all are a pain in the &*&$. Doing KASE we lost 3 games in a row because someone who was handling the probes got the Server Not Responding message. I was one of them. The 20 seconds where I was "frozen" in time were sufficient for the probes to get past me and enter the portal. If it had really been optional then we still could have won. That chance was taken away from us.:mad:
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's to the point that event's are almost all that I play. I work 50 hours a week, so I can't devote a lot of time to STO unless that's the only thing I want to do with my down time.

One things that drives me crazy though, is when they run a bonus weekend during an event. I just don't have time to take advantage of both.

Even with the dilithium WEEK, I turned in a grand total of 3 rich claims while focusing on keeping my alts on track for the anniversary.
    Don't phaze me, bro!
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    I had stopped doing those boring repetitive events back in 2013 after the Summer Event. I finished it with one character and found too boring to attempt it with others.

I did the new Anniversary event with 2 of my KDF chars but I just don't enjoy this type of "forced" play. My Feds will not get the Kobali ship. None of my chars did the 2014 Summer Event and I was away during the Winter Event. I would probably not have done it anyway. The only even I really like is Mirror Universe.

And those new STF's... The new Optionals that are not optional at all are a pain in the &*&$. Doing KASE we lost 3 games in a row because someone who was handling the probes got the Server Not Responding message. I was one of them. The 20 seconds where I was "frozen" in time were sufficient for the probes to get past me and enter the portal. If it had really been optional then we still could have won. That chance was taken away from us.:mad:

I will NEVER go to Risa again. Ever.

The problem with these "events" is that most are barely fun the first time. By day 3 they are mindnumbing. By day 10 its like being in a Chinese labor camp.

On most of my characters, I have forgetten what I was even grinding for in the first place.

Also, its not just events. Spent the week end doing R&D... good lord. Fill up slots. Wait 10 minutes - a few hours, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. So between all the time gates and repetitive tasks, I have little will left to actually play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm the opposite. Risa will be the first time in a while that I will actually have fun in the game.

Risa was nice in that you didn't have the out of bounds or queue jumping of the PvE ice race of the winter event. (Didn't even try the PvP race.) The lack of a super grindy moral killing Tides of Ice event helped too.

Purple boards and the PvP sand castles were the only parts I didn't like.

Yes, running it for 25 days did get to feel like a grind but it was a more pleasant grind than winter or the possibly impossible new Anniversary event (for the first few days).
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Doing this, having less "event time," tends to shine a big bright spotlight on the lack of content or lack of recently added content to a game.

Events are a cheap, easy way for MMOs, especially those in Free 2 Play maintenance mode like STO is, to drum up activity without actually investing in improving the game, or to act as a cover screen for the times the developers work on a larger project meant that requires alot of focused time into one area of the game, rather than general improvement work.

Don't expect event lengths and frequency to be reduced. If anything, expect them to gain as we head into the normal lull time between "expansions."

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think I need to elaborate a little:

I wasn't saying that what I asked in my OP was a request or demand... I was simply seeking other peoples attention to give me feedback to evaluate on my own opinion.

I've been reading carefully through the posts... Some have read my OP... Some partially read it (especially those missing the part about the potential of reducing the event times for higher rewards and more "normal" game time), and some have missed the point entirely.

All input are interesting to me (except the latter ones... obviously they don't add usable feedback).

The point is to get input from others than my own, and to have an interesting conversation in the meantime.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas