test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Faster ways to gain spec. points than just by levelling up?

willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
Right now we have 4 Specializations with a total of 90 points to spend to get all 4 Starship traits. And i thing there will be more Specializations coming. To gain one Spec. pointyou need to reach a "higher level" even if you are already Lvl 60.

THat woull mean (especially for allPlayers who played sTO for a while and were Lvl 50 before theSpecs were released you have to level up another 80 Levels to finish the SPecs

i think that too much. I dont want an "insta-win" starship reait or spec but especially for f2p or casual players who play after work or so it will take a long time, too long, to finish the specs.

And please no "casual players don´t matter" speeches here. i am still f2p but spend money on the game (and rarely regret it)

THe requirements for the Starship mastery were reduced because the Devs thought it took too long to get to T5 . But to get more spec. points takes even longer with the high amount of XP you need for a new level. I think it should not be connected to the levels or you should get one every 3rd of a level or so.
Post edited by willamsheridan on

Comments

• Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is no faster way.

You level up, you get a spec point. Easy as that.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,332 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    First of all, you don't NEED those specialization points. They're extras and if you play any content you'll haul them in gradually.

But if you're that eager to grind SP then you can do Argala solo or in a team.

Advanced and elite difficulty give more Specialization XP.

Use private queues to solo or 5 man team the 20 man STF, SB24 is good for getting stuff as well.

Plenty of opportunities to grind and all unnecessary. Even on an alt which i only doff i gained roughly 1-2 specialization points each week.

My advice is to play and have fun doing that and don't listen to the idiots who claim you have to grind for those specialization points. Treat them like the little presents they are and not as a goal.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Go to Argala, and grind XP 17x faster than elsewhere, like the rest of us.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i agree that it takes much time needs to be reduced maybe the game can sell spec. points for ec ..
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    garaks31 wrote: »
    i agree that it takes much time needs to be reduced maybe the game can sell spec. points for ec ..

Why? I only need 5 more points in Command Officer, and I didn't even make a consorted effort to grind this time (I'm totally not sold on Command at all yet). So, in about 5 days I'll be needing a new Spec tree, please. :)

Seriously, it's going fast enough.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    farseeridranelfarseeridranel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Earn XP offline with DOFFing. Get 3 additional duty officer mission slots from the embassy and always keep your DOFFs busy.

There are a couple of high XP missions in the delta quadrant (trade broker something, study crumbled wave form, something with scouting etc). Each gives 1200 XP on success and about 8000 XP on crit. There is also a nice mission in the solanae sphere (provide shore leave) that gives lots of XP (and CXP). Search in different maps for high XP missions. There are quite many. Also, always check your departments for good missions.

If you are KDF, go to Eta eridani and do "Suppress Gorn" missions. There are several of them on the normal mission page and under military. On crit they can give more than 20 000 XP !
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The fastest way to get max specialization is a build for DPS at the patrol mission and polishing your piloting skill.

I can get 10-20 mins per specialization depending on the lag. The lower your DPS the longer it takes to get specialization, Because you kill slower and you move slower. So, I can push myself to finish all these within 1-3 days continuous grinding days but I refuse to do it because I am not impatient to get all specialization immediately.

But questerius is right, you dont need these specializations nor it is a requirement to do end game content. You can have almost 0 specializations and still do elite content. Demanding these specializations is a product of self-entitlement and the player being spoiled.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    paxdawn wrote: »
    I can get 10-20 mins per specialization depending on the lag.

I think you're slightly exaggerating. :) Saying 1 round of Argala takes about 5mins, no way you fill out an entire spec bar in just 10-20 mins (at least not solo-ing).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I think you're slightly exaggerating. :) Saying 1 round of Argala takes about 5mins, no way you fill out an entire spec bar in just 10-20 mins (at least not solo-ing).

You can assuming there is no lag. You just need top tier DPS and you need to spec your boffs for argala.

You also have to decide if your grinding for specializations or would pick up the loot at Argala.

XP bonuses helps on the speed of the grind.

But, Like I said, you dont need to max out Specializations. You still can get 100k+ dps or do elite content without maxed out specializations.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The fastest way to get max specialization is a build for DPS at the patrol mission and polishing your piloting skill.

I can get 10-20 mins per specialization depending on the lag. The lower your DPS the longer it takes to get specialization, Because you kill slower and you move slower. So, I can push myself to finish all these within 1-3 days continuous grinding days but I refuse to do it because I am not impatient to get all specialization immediately.

But questerius is right, you dont need these specializations nor it is a requirement to do end game content. You can have almost 0 specializations and still do elite content. Demanding these specializations is a product of self-entitlement and the player being spoiled.

Ok, let's take your 10 minute claim. This is an argala run of 37.5 seconds. With bad lag you go up to a minute and 15 seconds.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is educational, I've all but ignored the specialization stuff. Every once in a while I look at it and see if I have points to spend or not. If I do I spend them, I don't even pay much attention to what I spend them on other than I fly around in space alot, so I started doing the pilot ones as soon as that showed up. I'm not even sure why the pilot option suddenly appeared. Wasn't there one day, next day it was... cool. By this point I probably have made a good old mess of how a specialization tree is supposed to look. Probably will need to spend one of my retrain tokens someday.

Been playing since Beta and I still don't have any one character maxed out on everything. Kinda find it funny when the FTP people complain they can't max their toon in xx time period. Sorry casual players, but if you give casual time to the game you are going to get casual results. Those ninja death dealing character traits that some poor slob ground out with dozens and dozens of hours of gameplay are not going to suddenly be given to you because Cryptic understands you are special and deserve to get the best stuff with little effort based on what a unique snowflake you are.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Right now we have 4 Specializations with a total of 90 points to spend to get all 4 Starship traits. And i thing there will be more Specializations coming. To gain one Spec. pointyou need to reach a "higher level" even if you are already Lvl 60.

THat woull mean (especially for allPlayers who played sTO for a while and were Lvl 50 before theSpecs were released you have to level up another 80 Levels to finish the SPecs

i think that too much. I dont want an "insta-win" starship reait or spec but especially for f2p or casual players who play after work or so it will take a long time, too long, to finish the specs.

And please no "casual players don´t matter" speeches here. i am still f2p but spend money on the game (and rarely regret it)

THe requirements for the Starship mastery were reduced because the Devs thought it took too long to get to T5 . But to get more spec. points takes even longer with the high amount of XP you need for a new level. I think it should not be connected to the levels or you should get one every 3rd of a level or so.

Nothing to see here...you must be new around here. The game has been nerfed XP and Spec-wise since 10/23. This is the new norm and many have left since then.

Do some search and you will find lots of threads on it:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9001443-release-notes%3A-october-23rd%2C-2014
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The fastest way is simply to penetrate a breach in the space time continuum and go four months into the past to play Delta Rising like mad in a group before they nerfed all the XP. They took the points away at first, but then gave them back.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    First of all, you don't NEED those specialization points. They're extras and if you play any content you'll haul them in gradually.

But if you're that eager to grind SP then you can do Argala solo or in a team.

Advanced and elite difficulty give more Specialization XP.

Use private queues to solo or 5 man team the 20 man STF, SB24 is good for getting stuff as well.

Plenty of opportunities to grind and all unnecessary. Even on an alt which i only doff i gained roughly 1-2 specialization points each week.

My advice is to play and have fun doing that and don't listen to the idiots who claim you have to grind for those specialization points. Treat them like the little presents they are and not as a goal.
    To complete a primary spec tree, you need 2250 STF worth of XP (bug hunt or ISA, the others award a bit less or more, but not much).
    That's HUGE. Sure, you're probably going to DOFF at the same time, but even if it would halve the STF you need to do, that would still be insane.

As for 1-2spec point a week by only DOFFing, I've read that several time, and I've yet to see that ingame. Currently I have 2 characters in the Dyson sphere, logging on every day, and enjoying some of the best doff assignment in the game. And they are not even making a spec point a week (pretty much once every 2 weeks, perhaps a month). Another character is at DS9, the situation is even worse.
    So unless you have some magical place to doff, I don't see how to do that. Obviously, one might tour the galaxy, searching for the best doff assignment.... but in the end, it's just another way to grind. And not at all something you earn by doing your favorite content ingame, as it was advertised.

Also, while you need 2250stf, you need "only" 563 Argala. I think we can call that unbalanced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Ok, let's take your 10 minute claim. This is an argala run of 37.5 seconds. With bad lag you go up to a minute and 15 seconds.

Yeah, no offense, but I don't believe his claim for 1 minute (and 15 seconds).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, no offense, but I don't believe his claim for 1 minute (and 15 seconds).
    Agreed, you already need 10seconds to goes off red alert after the first fight to trigger the convo. And another 10s for the final convo to complete the mission.
    So, you're telling me you can mop up the entire map, including the wait time between waves, in 17.5s (you said 37.5s without lag) ?

Temporal investigation have been alerted, there is something fishy here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,332 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    To complete a primary spec tree, you need 2250 STF worth of XP (bug hunt or ISA, the others award a bit less or more, but not much).
    That's HUGE. Sure, you're probably going to DOFF at the same time, but even if it would halve the STF you need to do, that would still be insane.

As for 1-2spec point a week by only DOFFing, I've read that several time, and I've yet to see that ingame. Currently I have 2 characters in the Dyson sphere, logging on every day, and enjoying some of the best doff assignment in the game. And they are not even making a spec point a week (pretty much once every 2 weeks, perhaps a month). Another character is at DS9, the situation is even worse.
    So unless you have some magical place to doff, I don't see how to do that. Obviously, one might tour the galaxy, searching for the best doff assignment.... but in the end, it's just another way to grind. And not at all something you earn by doing your favorite content ingame, as it was advertised.

Also, while you need 2250stf, you need "only" 563 Argala. I think we can call that unbalanced.

Again, you don't NEED the specialization points. They're goodies/extras. Anyone who claims otherwise doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

The whole mindset "I need to grind because i absolutely NEED <insert item> is devoid of common sense. In this game nobody needs the specializations to do end game content.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

If you have high performance DPS, you are doing Elite/Advance Argala not Normal Argala or normal garren.

You have to account for XP bonuses as well. So that is 15k xp+bonuses per mission.

Your computation for lag is off. Lag can bring a patrol mission to 5-10 mins per finish or have you give up/stop the mission due to lag not letting you be in the position you want within a few seconds nor let you click counters to the disruption of npc mobs.

Essentially, fast Argala patrol missions are expensive, higher performance, high adrenaline rush runs using specialized builds.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Agreed, you already need 10seconds to goes off red alert after the first fight to trigger the convo. And another 10s for the final convo to complete the mission.
    So, you're telling me you can mop up the entire map, including the wait time between waves, in 17.5s (you said 37.5s without lag) ?

You dont need 10 seconds for convo not unless you are reading the convo which again defeats the point of fast pace argala run.

Its like gimping your ship to look authentic for aesthetic purposes but sacrificing DPS then complain that you have low DPS.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Again, you don't NEED the specialization points. They're goodies/extras. Anyone who claims otherwise doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

The whole mindset "I need to grind because i absolutely NEED <insert item> is devoid of common sense. In this game nobody needs the specializations to do end game content.
    Ok, you NEED 1500stf to have enough spec point to train your BOFF to use the abilities. Which might be useful when using some ships.
    Or pay some extravagant price on the exchange, because those players perfectly knows they own the market. And it's going to be more expensive with each spec tree, because the number of players who hoarded spec point to be able to craft those new abilities quickly will shrink.
    The whole mindset "I need to grind because i absolutely NEED <insert item> is devoid of common sense.
    Well, you don't even need to play videogame. You need to eat, breath... but not play videogames. Period.
    So yeah, not really an argument there. It's here for our enjoyment. It's meant to be unlocked. We have to unlock it. MMO rule number 1, or 2, after "players will always find the easy way".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    If you have high performance DPS, you are doing Elite/Advance Argala not Normal Argala or normal garren.

You have to account for XP bonuses as well. So that is 15k xp+bonuses per mission.

Yeah, yeah; nothing in your post here to discount this:

There is no way, in any universe whatsoever, that you, paxdawn, can pollish off Argala in 17.5s, all your evasive answers despite. Vid, or it didn't happen. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2015

Just like a Argula patrol xp

Do your doffing in the Delta quadrent

Then look at how red your face gets when you claim the reward xp
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »

Just like a Argula patrol xp

Do your doffing in the Delta quadrent

Then look at how red your face gets when you claim the reward xp
    Did that, my face was red because I was mad to see how little I earned.
    The biggest payout have a 20h length, and they are pretty rare (one or 2 each time). And they only award 1-2K xp.

We are FAR from the 8k xp from a single argala. And we need 19 of them for a spec point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015

There is no way, in any universe whatsoever, that you, paxdawn, can pollish off Argala in 17.5s, all your evasive answers despite. Vid, or it didn't happen. :)

your right he cant even fly around the map to all of the points that fast let alone do the pop ups and claim the reward warp in or out let alone shoot anything or ...for petes sake the waves require more time than that to spawn !

Total BS on his part and his post is total bs and any vid is altered if it shows it

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The biggest payout have a 20h length, and they are pretty rare (one or 2 each time). And they only award 1-2K xp.

We are FAR from the 8k xp from a single argala. And we need 19 of them for a spec point.

very strange we have fleet members who turn in 50k doffing per day there are you t4 doffing with purples ?

personally ive gotten 15k crits on a few missions there myself a month ago but I maxed out my character in specs and haven't went back and got no motivation to level up another

Nerf maybe ? I'll check with my friends tonight and see if there still making the 50k or if its changed

any7 further comments on the ( How ) wqill have to be done ingame I wont reveal any more on the forum )

smirk may be watching :P

• Options
    edited February 2015

your right he cant even fly around the map to all of the points that fast let alone do the pop ups and claim the reward warp in or out let alone shoot anything or ...for petes sake the waves require more time than that to spawn !

Total BS on his part and his post is total bs and any vid is altered if it shows it

^^ Pretty much this.

Didn't wanna be a meanie about it, but yeah, the claim is just ludicrous. We can all do it fast, but not that fast. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015

very strange we have fleet members who turn in 50k doffing per day there are you t4 doffing with purples ?

personally ive gotten 15k crits on a few missions there myself a month ago but I maxed out my character in specs and haven't went back and got no motivation to level up another

Nerf maybe ? I'll check with my friends tonight and see if there still making the 50k or if its changed

any7 further comments on the ( How ) wqill have to be done ingame I wont reveal any more on the forum )

Much of my XP comes from doffing, really.

ABD = Always Be Doffing

Seriously, there are several 1,200 XP missions in the Delta quadrant, and very good ones in the Dyson sphere too; all of which crit for several thousand. I'd say, for me, it's entirely fair to state ca 1/3rd of a bar gets filled up, per day, from doffing alone, give or take a bit, of course.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i only play after work for 1-2 hours. And sorry but i want to Play STO not "Argala online". I play every day but i like to do PvE, advanced and elite i go to the Dyson Sphere and Kobali Battlezones, i love to replay missions.

And i never said i NEED those Specs. i just said that, for casual players, it takes too much time.

Also Access ti Intel and command abilities is boud to the Specs so you kinda need the specs to get access to the advanced abilites.

THe Starship mastery is fun, you can play and see your progress after every mission, and after a short time you have reached T5. I am not saying that you should finish all Specs as fast as you reach T5 in a ship mut getting more than one point per level would not hurt the majority of the players. Only a minority could think that their place on Top of the DPS/skill mountain is threatened if i migth say that so

Why? I only need 5 more points in Command Officer, and I didn't even make a consorted effort to grind this time (I'm totally not sold on Command at all yet). So, in about 5 days I'll be needing a new Spec tree, please. :)

Seriously, it's going fast enough.

i was talking caual players: all those who are not here on the forum, not LTS but still spent money on the game (probably more than many LTS)

I have 0 points in Intel, 0 in Command officer and Pilot and Commando are also not fully finished even though i play every day.

There is no faster way.

You level up, you get a spec point. Easy as that.
    but if ou don´t wanna waste your playtime with argala only you only level up 1-2 points a weeg if you are lucky. Or you get 1 point every few weeks. At that rate you will be done in 1-2 years. And there will be probably 1-3 more Specy by that time so another 2 years to see a result.

I am working and i have a family so i can´t play STO all day. Am i not allowed to have fun in the game AND some progress
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Much of my XP comes from doffing, really.

ABD = Always Be Doffing

Seriously, there are several 1,200 XP missions in the Delta quadrant, and very good ones in the Dyson sphere too; all of which crit for several thousand. I'd say, for me, it's entirely fair to state ca 1/3rd of a bar gets filled up, per day, from doffing alone, give or take a bit, of course.
    If by 1/3 of a bar, you mean one of the smaller bar (10 to make a spec point), then yes, I have about the same. Still 1/30 of a spec point. I'm far from the 1-2 spec point per week.

I know the gorn uprising can crit really high, if you're KDF, but 50K xp per day by just doffing ? Thats 2spec point per week. I really want to see that in action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Actually, I told you guys how I do it. Its up to you if you want to do it or if you want to believe.
    Since you guys are hard headed and dont even compute for mobs XP nor bonus XP or tell that it takes 10 seconds to do something that you can do for a second or two like the convo, I leave it as it is.

But, I go back to the point. Why max out specialization when you dont need it?

I still stand with questerius, maxing specialization is not a requirement.

You dont need 19 to get a spec point. You are either computing for only for final reward XP or doing a completely different mission or difficulty.