test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Geko on Loadouts

13»

Comments

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A developer doesn'T always get the choice what to implement. It is not unusual for a developer to warn about the risks of new features - but sometimes they still have to happen.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Programming just expresses game mechanics, the Developer is the guy who designs the game mechanics the programmers convert from concept to execution.

I just want to clear up a potential terminological confusion. In the software industry generally,

software developer = software engineer = programmer

In the game industry in particular, "developer" may mean something else. On these forums, I've seen "developer" used to refer to anyone who works on the game. Different people may mean different things when they say "developer".
    patrickngo wrote: »
    A game designer is the guy who figures out what the interactions are supposed to be, then articulates it to the programmer, who writes the actual code to make it happen.

a Lead Designer is responsible for taking the ideas and general mechanics come up with by the game-designers, and determining how those elements interact-his job is to say yes or no because ____, and to set priorities with the intent to make the entire thing playable.

The design team probably handed the programming team a design for the loadout system. That design probably included features to be implemented and maybe even a mockup of the UI. I doubt that the design specified how loadouts should function during map transitions. Geko's team specifies the combat mechanics. But I doubt they are involved in the technical details of how state is maintained during map transitions.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png