test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Geko on Loadouts

pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
I know a lot of us, myself included, would far rather read a transcript then listen to a podcast so for those of you like me who are interested in how seriously cryptic take our loadout issue I took the time to transcribe what Geko had to say in the latest priority one interview. (I know some of this doesn't read well. I just wrote what was said, I didn't edit it I would have put in some paragraphs, but much was presented in a stream of consciousness)

Priority One: Al. I want to have a sit down talk with you about the loadout system for a moment.

Geko: [Chuckle]

Priority One: What can you tell us about the mechanic?

Geko: I don't know anything about it. I don't want to know...

Priority One: [Laughter]

Geko: ...wasn't me. Our loadout system should be pretty solid right now. Are you still having problems? I am currently not having any problems. But I do feel your pain because it has frustrated me that things keep breaking on it. But at this point we will see what happens right?

Priority One: Not since the anniversary event I haven't had an issue but then again I haven't, Well no I have changed maps. And so far its been pretty stable. But do you know what was causing the problem? In the weeks leading up to the 5th anniversary event some times you would log in and there were no bridge officers in your stations.

Geko: In all honestly its just stupid bugs and this is entirely, very little, that the design department has to do, with those lev, its just technical bugs that are just failing and some reasons and you know you fix one thing and you cause another bug and bugs happen so its been too buggy for my taste considering the amount of time put into it. Its still a fantastic system. The new bridge officer training system doesn't exactly work with the loadouts but it still works with the loadouts. And that was really your answer but basically whatever you put on your ship will be remembered but its not remembered in the loadouts. Its just remembered in that ship so you cant have differant bridge officer loadouts with the loadouts but it is saved for the ship. So erm their not necessarily tied together. But they are remembered per ship. So why has it broken? Just because humans, and hopefully the worst of this is behind us at this point. I mean we have got the new system now. I think its live now. If you get a brand new ship. It'll try to move all the items over from your last ship. Which will be a really good time saver for any new ship. It will work for any ship that doesn't have loadouts. Even if you have an old ship that you didn't modify. As soon as you modify a ship it gets a default loadout. So if you have never modified a ship, when you go into it and you load it up it will take the items from your last one. The whole thing is supposed to make things easier but yeah its frustrating when you log in and your bridge officers are missing and your powers are missing or your items are not there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for taking the time to transcribe it. You are awesome.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That was...what was that? Favourite line has to be:
    The new bridge officer training system doesn't exactly work with the loadouts but it still works with the loadouts.

I can picture him squirming in his chair, sweat dripping from his forehead, as if he's just be caught red handed by a Mafia Don skimming off the top.
  • floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sure this wasn't Geko trying to get out of a speeding ticket?

Yeah,I couldn't make heads or tails out of it either....
    Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
    Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This made me "WTF" out loud!

The is the lead designer speaking? What, exactly, was he smoking when he came out with this garbage? :eek:

Way to go Geko to add insult to injury. I'm so pleased that loadouts are stable FOR YOU!

However for a lot of us real people out here in the real world its FAR from stable. Last night, moved from one Delta quad sector to another....and guess what disappeared :rolleyes:
    server_hamster6.png
    edited February 2015
    patrickngo wrote: »
    It's stable for him, because he doesn't play the game on the live server, without developer tools to help him along.

Basically he's "Lead developer" because he's a ship artist with seniority.

Pretty much the conclusions I drew as well.
    server_hamster6.png
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My favorite quote.

"I think its live now. "

So he doesn't know if its live or not, huh.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ..... ok

*backs away slowly*
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Proof again that Mr Geko and his ability to understand the concerns of the playerbase and his games own bugs are in a Galaxy Far Far Away. Not an attack on him just a prime example of someone in management who is removed from daily engagement with the playerbase. Happens in most companies.

Loadout system and Boff system are bugged.

An example is if i haven't used a toon for a couple of days its likely the outload system when i login will have removed my Boffs from there stations and thus my skill tray.

What is even more annoying is if i requip them and they have been trained from something else other than the default skills they came with, Romulan Embassy Boffs are the worst cultprits, they are defaulted back to the original skills meaning twice the work of reslotting them.

As soon as i heard they were putting this new system in with loadouts i knew it would be buggered to hell and back.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I haven't logged in for the entire anniversary so far, because of the loadout problems. Just waiting it out until something gets fixed. Too frustrating for the time being.
  • synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What's that dull slapping sound?

That's the sound of the wallets of anyone with half of a brain who read that transcript slamming shut.

The Smedley eyes this guy with mild approval...
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    synfoola wrote: »
    The Smedley eyes this guy with mild approval...

Always two there are, a master, and an apprentice...
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What is even more annoying is if i requip them and they have been trained from something else other than the default skills they came with, Romulan Embassy Boffs are the worst cultprits, they are defaulted back to the original skills meaning twice the work of reslotting them.

This. You don't know how many times I raged when this happened. I bought some human boffs at ESD, trained them in the skills I wanted for them. Then, at every map change all the skills switch back to the default skills. And I'm not bothered anymore to put them back every damned time. It really dropped my motivation to play.

Looking at Geko's reaction:
    But at this point we will see what happens right?

Is this another "It'll fix itself" statement? I already fear for the possible revamp of the skill tree. Which I will probably not be around for. Screws up your build, randomizes the skills you put points in etc. You want to put it back the way it was? Okay here's 1 free respec. Then you spend alot of time, remembering how your build was and after 30 minutes everything is back the way it was. Let's go do a STF or an adventure zone or whatever you're planning to do. Requires a map change. Okay fine, change map. Oh look, my build is randomized again.. do I have to put in 30 minutes again to put it back the way it was? *sigh* alright let's get started. "Oh you don't have a respec? You can buy one off the C-Store!"

Everything seems to break or change on every map change these days. Not just loadouts.
    edited February 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »

Honestly - I've said it before and will say it again; this sort of stupidity and lack of knowledge about the supplied product wouldn't be tolerated in pretty much any other business/industry.

This. So much THIS. All I see is a fundamental lack of code control/version control and QA.

Someone really should tell the higher-ups at Cryptic and PWE to stop letting Geko out. I've never seen one man try to eat his own feet as much as him :rolleyes:
    server_hamster6.png
  • vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Really? *sigh*

Where's my triple face palm gif at?
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    vawlkus wrote: »
    Really? *sigh*

Where's my triple face palm gif at?

Try here:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/Nfwb2x5
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    THIS is the problem with him right here. He acts like he can't be bothered to assume ownership of anything that goes wrong. Maybe he was just trying to make a joke, but with all of the ridiculous bugs this game has developed, it's not something to be joked about.

Maybe some of us take this way to seriously, for a game. But Whenever I read what this guy has to say, sometimes it feels like he isn't taking it seriously at all. He's probably not worried in the slightest. After all, his job is secure so long as STO's numbers remain in the black. PWE won't be breathing down his boss's neck until the numbers drop into the red.

As long as there are enough players who are content to spend money on this game, in spite of its massively buggy state, then the status quo will remain.

There are other developers out there who not only assume ownership of their respective games' issues, but actually take visible steps to resolve them in a timely manner. By visible steps, I mean they talk about what they are doing. Even if it is to simply let the community know that they have not forgotten the issue. Cryptic can't even seem to bother ACKNOWLEDGING an issue without a 200+ page rage thread about it.

Any developer that cannot be bothered to keep its fingers on the pulse of its consumer community is not worthy of my money. I don't expect my every whim to be catered to. But I do expect a developer to have enough respect for those whose money keeps the big bosses off their back.

I am sick of this "wherever the mop flops" attitude on Cryptic's part. Dammit, pick up that mop and clean up the mess, whatever it may be.

Why is anybody surprised by this? He's been this way since even before he was EP. I'm just surprised he's lasted this long tbh.

Btw Geko: Yes, they're still broken. I logged into one my characters yesterday that I hadn't changed in weeks and all of the boff abilities were gone from my tray.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Why is anybody surprised by this? He's been this way since even before he was EP. I'm just surprised he's lasted this long tbh.

Btw Geko: Yes, they're still broken. I logged into one my characters yesterday that I hadn't changed in weeks and all of the boff abilities were gone from my tray.

Geko is not the EP, btw.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Geko is not the EP, btw.

I know he isn't. We got a new one a little while ago. I don't care, though. The load out system was implemented under his watch so he was responsible for it.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to transcribe it. You are awesome.

Yea I think so as well. I don’t bother with P1 podcast because they go on my nerves. Quick reading the best part for a good long laugh though is something I appreciate very much so thanks OP.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Geko: In all honestly its just stupid bugs and this is entirely, very little, that the design department has to do, with those lev, its just technical bugs that are just failing and some reasons and you know you fix one thing and you cause another bug and bugs happen so its been too buggy for my taste considering the amount of time put into it. Its still a fantastic system. The new bridge officer training system doesn't exactly work with the loadouts but it still works with the loadouts. And that was really your answer but basically whatever you put on your ship will be remembered but its not remembered in the loadouts. Its just remembered in that ship so you cant have differant bridge officer loadouts with the loadouts but it is saved for the ship. So erm their not necessarily tied together. But they are remembered per ship. So why has it broken? Just because humans, and hopefully the worst of this is behind us at this point. I mean we have got the new system now. I think its live now. If you get a brand new ship. It'll try to move all the items over from your last ship. Which will be a really good time saver for any new ship. It will work for any ship that doesn't have loadouts. Even if you have an old ship that you didn't modify. As soon as you modify a ship it gets a default loadout. So if you have never modified a ship, when you go into it and you load it up it will take the items from your last one. The whole thing is supposed to make things easier but yeah its frustrating when you log in and your bridge officers are missing and your powers are missing or your items are not there.

Jeebus cripes. :D
    Greenbird
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yea I think so as well. I don’t bother with P1 podcast because they go on my nerves.
    This x 1000
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    as much as i appreciate the transcribing, being Deaf and all... it hurt my eyes to read Geko's reply.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't think it's the loadout system per se. Saving and loading loadouts works just fine.
    The unslotting of boffs doesn't seem to have anything to do with that. This bug already existed before the loadout system and it has happened much more frequently lately. However, the issue is easily resolved by, guess what, reloading your loadout (i.e. using the loadout system).

That is, of course, if you have your current loadouts saved. While creating a new loadout, i also found it helpful to save it both, in space and on ground. It just feels more stable this way.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Geko not knowing something so basic about the game, shocker...
    edited February 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    I don't think it's the loadout system per se. Saving and loading loadouts works just fine.
    The unslotting of boffs doesn't seem to have anything to do with that. This bug already existed before the loadout system and it has happened much more frequently lately. However, the issue is easily resolved by, guess what, reloading your loadout (i.e. using the loadout system).

That is, of course, if you have your current loadouts saved. While creating a new loadout, i also found it helpful to save it both, in space and on ground. It just feels more stable this way.

I beg to differ. When the Boffs disappear trying to re-load the load out doesn't work at all. The only work around I know is to either:

a) remove a console and then replace it - Then re-load

or

b) Go to the stations tab first - The re-load.

Re-load without doing any of the above, for me at least, does not work.

edit: My that was a lot of "re-loads" !!! lol :D
    server_hamster6.png
    edited February 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    I beg to differ. When the Boffs disappear trying to re-load the load out doesn't work at all. The only work around I know is to either:

a) remove a console and then replace it - Then re-load

or

b) Go to the stations tab first - The re-load.

Re-load without doing any of the above, for me at least, does not work.

I beg to differ.... loadouts are *totally* broken. :) They do *not* retain your boffs' selected abilities, at all. Which is to say, you can't use the same boff, but with different abilities, in different loadouts. Doesn't work at all. Geko pretty much says so too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Not what I meant. I'm thinking about the screencut image of Picard facepalm, next to Riker facepalm, next to Worf facepalm. That's about the level of facepalm needed here, I just don't have that image on my laptop.
    edited February 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I beg to differ.... loadouts are *totally* broken. :) They do *not* retain your boffs' selected abilities, at all. Which is to say, you can't use the same boff, but with different abilities, in different loadouts. Doesn't work at all. Geko pretty much says so too.

Good point - Well made :D
    server_hamster6.png
    edited February 2015
    vawlkus wrote: »
    Not what I meant. I'm thinking about the screencut image of Picard facepalm, next to Riker facepalm, next to Worf facepalm. That's about the level of facepalm needed here, I just don't have that image on my laptop.

I seriously think we are OFF the facepalm scale here :rolleyes:
    server_hamster6.png
    edited February 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    I seriously think we are OFF the facepalm scale here :rolleyes:

When a facepalm image itself gives rise to a facepalm, you know you overdid it. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg