test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic plagiarized me!

riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/78/53/78531ee33ca6d5f50dc4b97641e308d91423504674.png

"USS Deneva"

that's my Odyssey. It's my Odyssey's name. It has always been my Odyssey name. You plagiarized me. Make up your own starship name dudes!

that being said, give me that ship. Right now. It looks sexy :P
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,121 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I see people zipping around with Lexington, and that's been the name of my Assault Cruiser since I got her.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Think that is Geneva.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That's why I went with Ninja Death Bunny XV9. Haven't seen another one around.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    svindal777 wrote: »
    Think that is Geneva.

wouldn't be different, they would have plagiarized one of my country's cities :P
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Really? Are we REALLY arguing ship names?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Really? Are we REALLY arguing ship names?

...yes mister Severus Piton.

It's not like we're joking, no we're absolutely serious! :cool:
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,392 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm commanding the only USS Hans Asperger I've ever seen - well, anywhere, really.

And I'm willing to bet that after I get my Kobali Zombie Cruiser, I'll have the only USS George Romero.

<sniff> Cryptic never plagiarizes me... <pout>
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I haven't seen a USS Tribble or Rivalry or Clarity so, yay! I feel safe with the Leghpu' and Khyii
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,121 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    *Goes to make the USS Tribble*
    :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    And I'm willing to bet that after I get my Kobali Zombie Cruiser, I'll have the only USS George Romero.

The USS Romero is the centrepoint of a Foundry Spotlight mission
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For a long time back in the day I always called my ship the Echelon. It was a cool name and I never, ever saw it anywhere else.

Then in one starbase defence (yeah, this is going way back) I saw 2 others. 2! And one of them was on my own team.

Never used it again. These days I think of a word, go to the thesaurus reference website and pick the most obsure alternate word I can find.
  • Options
    aelogriaaelogria Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/78/53/78531ee33ca6d5f50dc4b97641e308d91423504674.png

"USS Deneva"

that's my Odyssey. It's my Odyssey's name. It has always been my Odyssey name. You plagiarized me. Make up your own starship name dudes!

that being said, give me that ship. Right now. It looks sexy :P

That ship is named the Geneva. You know? Big city in Switzerland? Headquarters of the International Red Cross, WTO, WMO, the YMCA, and I think another organization that has to do with Refugees. There is also a lake in Switzerland called Lake Geneva.

So I think you are safe from Plagiarism. And Deneva is a Planet already in the Star Trek Universe. So dont complain about plagiarism. Both Geneva and Deneva could easily show up in most random ship name generators. I am certain I have had a few Geneva's which I have promptly changed to something like the S.S. Lollipop, the IKS Millennium Falcon, etc.

So take a breath. Copying IPs and famous names is rather common in naming things. :) Not belittling ya or anything. Just relax on that. The quality is so bad when zoomed in it could be either. And I think a fitting name for a ship that no one would or should by should be named The Geneva.

@Desdecardo since 2008.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I haven't seen a USS Tribble or Rivalry or Clarity so, yay! I feel safe with the Leghpu' and Khyii

I use to have the IKS Chocolate Tribble does that count?
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm commanding the only USS Hans Asperger I've ever seen - well, anywhere, really.

<sniff> Cryptic never plagiarizes me... <pout>

I doubt you'll be the only George Romero by far...I actually considered but dismissed that name myself. I have a different name lined up but I am not sure everyone will catch why I did it. I will PM you the name... ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Luckily my Sci Alt has never seen a copy of her ship name yet.

Still the only "Captain Miso Pretty" of the "USS Luv Oolong Thyme" I've seen.:P
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I haven't seen any other "U.S.S. Pierre Picaud"s out there. I suspect there's probably another "U.S.S. Dirac" but I haven't seen one yet.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thus far I have not seen another "U.S.S. Thaxll'ssyllia", or many of the ship names I currently have (not all).
    I certainly have never seen another "U.S.S. Cunning Stunt" though, but I have seen many MANY ships pull a full stop for a second next to it before moving on :D
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Chillax, APU
    Munster, Chel Grett
    Poison Rose, Plesh Brek
    U.S.S. Arcadia, Benthan
    U.S.S. Deogen, Phantom
    U.S.S. Endless, Hazari
    U.S.S. K'Dyr, D'Kyr
    U.S.S. Naked Sun, Apex
    U.S.S. Nebulous, Nebula
    Wandering Scorn, Sarr Theln
    Xenoreaper, Samsar
    Zippy, Na'Far

Forgot my KDF guys there...

I.K.S. D'Rek, Bortasqu' Command
    I.K.S. Dartuth, Mogh
    I.K.S. Durigi, Mogh
    I.K.S. Dorgoh, Kar'Fi
    I.K.S. Darimor, Marauder
    I.K.S. Dorocu, Varanus
    I.K.S. Daroko, Varanus
    I.K.S. Dravonu, Garumba
    I.K.S. Do'doc, B'rel
    I.K.S. Dor'tak, B'rel
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I use to have the IKS Chocolate Tribble does that count?

Thankfully no.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jheinig wrote: »
    Yeah, I haven't seen any other "U.S.S. Pierre Picaud"s out there. I suspect there's probably another "U.S.S. Dirac" but I haven't seen one yet.

You mean you guys can't datamine to find out?

On second thought, please don't, if the query will cause some kind of fatal SQL error. That could be a BIG query!!! :D

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,392 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't have a Dirac, but I did name my Dyson science destroyer the USS Feynman. (And it's an aptly named ship type. Boy, can it ever destroy it some science!)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I plagiarized myself, I have to U.S.S. CorpseGrinders
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I haven't seen any other USS Tasaki's out there, despite Doctor Tasaki helping Zefram Cochrane and Henry Archer pioneer the Warp Five engine.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i am still the only one i have seen with USS Victoria

surprisingly but that has been the name of my galaxy sense 1996 when the crew was in a table top RPG lol
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have never seen the USS Paegan outside of mine. Its actually Cannon too, Taken from the Starflleet Technical Manual from the 70's.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You don't want Cryptic "stealing" your names, pick something more obscure than historical warships or Greek mythology. I dug into ancient British myth for my Avenger (Andraste is an Icenian war goddess) and I named my Dyson and Rhode Island after Nobel Prize winners.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/