test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WMP not supported?

bobosmrade1bobosmrade1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So after a long time of Winamp eating my resources while playing STO, I decided to take the old WMP out of the dust. And guess what, its faster, more efficient, and doesn't eat as nearly as many resources as Winamp ate.

But there is one problem, WMP isn't supported as a media player in STO. Those spots are shared between Winamp and iTunes (wtf, who even uses iTunes as a media player ? ), and theyre both nasty resource eaters that slow down the game significantly, especialy on older machines like mine.

So, any plans ( lol I think im TRIBBLE ) on introducing some other Media players support, like WMP and AIMP?
Cave Troll vs Forum troll
Know the difference
It could save your life...
rushatsi wrote: »
pvp? whats dat?
Pervert vs. Pervert!:eek:
Post edited by bobosmrade1 on

Comments

• Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    People willingly use Windows Media Player?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    helgmornhelgmorn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Are you running on a Laptop.

Obviously playing a Media Player in the background and running STO is a little more task intensive.

iTunes running on my PC takes 1.5-2.5% processor usage and around 200MB in memory whilst playing a song.

I have 40170 songs, 117.3 days playtime and 273.37GB worth of music so it will use a bit more memory in displaying the list.

Now agreed, I do have 16GB Ram and an i5 processor, but still, I cant see any modern machine not being able to deal with STO and iTunnes at the same time unless its a cheap laptop or older machine (Single Core pentium, first Pentium dual core "d")

Any dual core from the core2duo range upwards should deal with it

iTunes gets knocked to hell and back, but honestly, I have used it along with VLC and have not had any of the "issues" people come up with.
  • Options
    zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So after a long time of Winamp eating my resources while playing STO, I decided to take the old WMP out of the dust. And guess what, its faster, more efficient, and doesn't eat as nearly as many resources as Winamp ate.

But there is one problem, WMP isn't supported as a media player in STO. Those spots are shared between Winamp and iTunes (wtf, who even uses iTunes as a media player ? ), and theyre both nasty resource eaters that slow down the game significantly, especialy on older machines like mine.

So, any plans ( lol I think im TRIBBLE ) on introducing some other Media players support, like WMP and AIMP?

You could try foobar2000. It's my audio player of choice and there are at least a couple of Winamp API emulator components available for it. I'm using foo_winamp_spam but Shpeck also works.
  • Options
    narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    especialy on older machines like mine.

Oh old machine. I was going to ask what the hell you were talking about, winamps resource usage is not even noticeable on any machine built this decade... but older machine... carry on...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,070 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I haven't used Media Player since it updated and started having problems. I have iTunes, but I also have Steam which added a Music Player that can play music in ANY Steam game via the Steam Overlay. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    I have not been able to get iTunes to work since a patch in January.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS