test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thank you Alex

crypticgekocrypticgeko Member Posts: 87
Today was our Star Trek Online's 5th anniversary party at Cryptic. Stephen D'Angelo hosted a retrospective of the last 5 years, and many of us shared some of our favorite stories. We also played a Star Trek family feud trivia game, had a Star Trek costume contest, and there was much cake and cookies. It was a very good day. so it was perfect timing that we happened to received a package from a fan.

We opened the box to find a wonderful box of Star Trek micro-machine toys, including an ESD! Oh Boy TOYS!

But more than the toys, we got a wonderful letter from a fan, Alex. Alex wrote a heartfelt thank you letter to the team and told us why he enjoys Star Trek Online, the podcasts, and he shared how STO and the team has inspired him to pursue a career in game developer.

That was the best part of the 5th Anniversary for me.

From all the team, Thank You Alex for the micro-machines, but most of all, thank you for your wonderful letter and for sharing with us your STO story.

LLAP

Al "Captain Geko" Rivera
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They still make micro machines?

YESSSSSSS! THIS PLEASES MEEEEE!

*begins ebaying for micro machines*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    you guys mind posting pictures of the collection?
  • keepitnastykeepitnasty Member Posts: 0
    edited January 2015
    Was this supposed to be private or much easier than a handwritten letter or card given back?...you know...something that would've taken a little time and effort...
    edited January 2015
    Was this supposed to be private or much easier than a handwritten letter or card given back?...you know...something that would've taken a little time and effort...

Two posts in and now out comes these guys.

This is why we can't have nice things.

:(
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've just seen the letter and some of the photos on Twitter, including the opening of the parcel.

It was a lovely gesture on Alex's part, and a lot of thought and effort had clearly gone into it.

Certainly a highlight of the anniversary.

Thanks for sharing. :)
  • tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You guys are relaxing and having a great party while the players are having a nightmare in the game. great guys.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Two posts in and now out comes these guys.

This is why we can't have nice things.

:(

That's why I don't take these forums seriously anymore. Most of the people here are just... well... children.

Sounds like the devs had a nice celebration of their game's fifth year. There's no reason to TRIBBLE in Cheerios here.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's a nice story, thanks for sharing.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's why I don't take these forums seriously anymore. Most of the people here are just... well... children.

Sounds like the devs had a nice celebration of their game's fifth year. There's no reason to TRIBBLE in Cheerios here.

Yeah, the Devs had a nice Celebration, but the players are having nightmares of problems in game.....All the Bugs and lag and server instability.....sure, no reason at all to TRIBBLE in Cheerios.....Devs should celebrate a SUCCESSFUL launch, not one that has bugs, lag, and convoluted BOFF system that screws over player's BOFF abilities....

5th Anniversary is the Best Anniversary, and Players love it!
    latest?cb=20141230104800&path-prefix=en
    edited January 2015
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Yeah, the Devs had a nice Celebration, but the players are having nightmares of problems in game.....All the Bugs and lag and server instability.....sure, no reason at all to TRIBBLE in Cheerios.....Devs should celebrate a SUCCESSFUL launch, not one that has bugs, lag, and convoluted BOFF system that screws over player's BOFF abilities....

This is why game developers just use Twitter now.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited January 2015

Go to your room, young man.
    edited January 2015
    The game devs just want to hear praises and love, not the constructive criticism that is needed to make positive change in the game. They also need to learn to listen to what the players want out of their game, like less grinding and BETTER QUALITY MISSIONS. Removing 11 Romulan Arc missions for just 4 short ones.....Now when did players ask for content to be removed? They only want content that is FUN AND NOT A GRIND TO DO.
    edited January 2015
    First the "criticism" actually has to be constructive. All I ever see on the forums is anything but.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What I think the devs seem to forget is that player feedback didn't go from zero-to-sixty psychopathic rage the first time ever that the devs made a design decision the players didn't like. It's been building over the years. And over the years, all that devs like Geko have ever done is show contempt for this growing dissatisfaction. They make one decision after another that they love but the players hate and the bile and acid builds up until we look at the devs and see enemies to bring down, have fired, etc.

Geko's motto should be:

"Why are the players so unhappy? We gave them everything I wanted!"

So of course people are going to spit acid at a thread like this. It broadcasts loud and clear that Geko can't handle anything less than high praise. Years of ignoring constructive criticism that has gotten less tolerant and more angry for being ignored has put him and the other devs under the delusion that there has never been useful criticism, just pure hate.
    edited January 2015
    The game devs just want to hear praises and love, not the constructive criticism that is needed to make positive change in the game. They also need to learn to listen to what the players want out of their game, like less grinding and BETTER QUALITY MISSIONS. Removing 11 Romulan Arc missions for just 4 short ones.....Now when did players ask for content to be removed? They only want content that is FUN AND NOT A GRIND TO DO.

But those missions weren't particularly...anything. They were just sort filler for LoR. Like those episodes of Star Trek that exist to fill the 22 ordered episode quota without touching the main story arc established in the season opener episodes.

I can't even remember who was in those missions.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited January 2015

you lost me at
    BETTER QUALITY MISSIONS.

when you said
    Removing 11 Romulan Arc missions for just 4 short ones.....

Those lost romulan missions sucked bad. The new ones are way BETTER QUALITY MISSIONS.

also constructive criticism is not pooping all over a nice thread like this. If you have a complaint, post in all of the other threads with constructive criticism. There's plenty of those to go around.
    edited January 2015
    But those missions weren't particularly...anything. They were just sort filler for LoR. Like those episodes of Star Trek that exist to fill the 22 ordered episode quota without touching the main story arc established in the season opener episodes.

I can't even remember who was in those missions.

Sometimes those missions / Episodes had meaning and were just fun. Imagine if all the filler from every TV and Movie was gone, TV shows would only last 10 minutes a day for a few days then they're done. Movies would be 30 minutes tops....

I loved Saturday's Child, and all those other missions because they gave a fun mission to do.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ....constructive criticism....

Is it "constructive" to have it spammed in your face a few thousand times? Is it "constructive" to have harassing if not outright abusive players constantly on your back? Is it "constructive" to, as someone else put it,"TRIBBLE into cheerios"? The few dozen or so people who work on the game, I'm not sure what even gets them though the day when they have to face such "constructive" criticism.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What I think the devs seem to forget is that player feedback didn't go from zero-to-sixty psychopathic rage the first time ever that the devs made a design decision the players didn't like. It's been building over the years. And over the years, all that devs like Geko have ever done is show contempt for this growing dissatisfaction. They make one decision after another that they love but the players hate and the bile and acid builds up until we look at the devs and see enemies to bring down, have fired, etc.

Geko's motto should be:

So of course people are going to spit acid at a thread like this. It broadcasts loud and clear that Geko can't handle anything less than high praise. Years of ignoring constructive criticism that has gotten less tolerant and more angry for being ignored has put him and the other devs under the delusion that there has never been useful criticism, just pure hate.

AYYYY LMAO.

I'm a player and I can speak for myself darn well. Blanket statements make Bajoran Jesus cry.

On topic. There is still people fighting the good fight for change in the game without as I quote "TRIBBLE in Cheerios" or as you put it spitting acid.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Geko's motto should be:

Well said and I agree.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Enough of this! On to the important stuff!

Please post some pics of the Micro Machines!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Enough of this! On to the important stuff!

Please post some pics of the Micro Machines!

Those pics are only interesting if they show Al being pelted with these Micro Machines....
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • zntechzntech Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Today was our Star Trek Online's 5th anniversary party at Cryptic. Stephen D'Angelo hosted a retrospective of the last 5 years, and many of us shared some of our favorite stories. We also played a Star Trek family feud trivia game, had a Star Trek costume contest, and there was much cake and cookies. It was a very good day. so it was perfect timing that we happened to received a package from a fan.

We opened the box to find a wonderful box of Star Trek micro-machine toys, including an ESD! Oh Boy TOYS!

But more than the toys, we got a wonderful letter from a fan, Alex. Alex wrote a heartfelt thank you letter to the team and told us why he enjoys Star Trek Online, the podcasts, and he shared how STO and the team has inspired him to pursue a career in game developer.

That was the best part of the 5th Anniversary for me.

From all the team, Thank You Alex for the micro-machines, but most of all, thank you for your wonderful letter and for sharing with us your STO story.

LLAP

Al "Captain Geko" Rivera

What can I say ..........................................................................................................

Living in the lie is very dangerous and nasty business and it is become same as the American dream.
    So we have to let you play in your kindergarten alone without us .

Well said emacsheadroom

PS:This is freedom of speech for you in C&PWE
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1361281&page=11
    In the beginning there was all and then become nothing

I AM PISSED OFF AFTER 3 YRS. I STILL CAN'T USE OR CHANGE OR DELETE OUTFIT IN 3 OF 5 OUTFIT SLOTS ON MY KLINGON TOON !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If some of the 3-5 year old bugs would get fixed, everyone would be as happy as "Alex".
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't know who's the biggest troll, Geko, or the posters.
    I truly like when the only times Geko comes on the forum is to acknowledge a "thank you" reward, but not to acknowledge the hundreds of "the game have issues" posts over the internet. As any kid learn sooner or later, in life you have to face the reality sometimes.

Anyway, congrats. I guess.

I'm a player and I can speak for myself darn well. Blanket statements make Bajoran Jesus cry.
    You mean, like that ?
    Fun fact : you have trolls and idiots on both side. It doesn't matter who's wrong and right.
    On topic. There is still people fighting the good fight for change in the game without as I quote "TRIBBLE in Cheerios" or as you put it spitting acid.
    I didn't even knew you had any complain. You spend your time claiming we are a bunch of idiots and whatnot. Which is not really constructive.
    I mean, it's no big deal if you have no complain, opinions and all that, but I never saw a single constructive criticism from you. I'm curious, what's wrong in the game, for you ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    First the "criticism" actually has to be constructive. All I ever see on the forums is anything but.

You just lost all of my respect. There is plenty of constructive criticism on the forums. The problem is it gets ignored and swept under the rug.

That being said, leave Geko alone. He's just talking about a party and a fan showing appreciation. Let's not derail this.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Did you all manage to get an Enterprise-E? Best Star Trek Micromachine ever made!
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Shouldn't they have made him want to play the game instead?

But yeah poor kid, obviously's got more than a few loose screws if he thinks that, this is good development and the amount of presure of the developers are feeling, are a rolemodel.

Game I am in now, STO remains un-installed even with giveaway, the developers and Q&A people reply every day openly and directly.

There is complaining but you know, no one cares why should they they are adults and professionals.

Then I saw this developer post over there one of my first days "our official stance on..." and I was like yeah exactly that is how it should be.

And it was like oh yeah I couldn't even remember the last time the STO developers didn't just try to sweep everything under the rug.

I am sure the kid alex means well, and I am sure he loves star trek so much he is a little blind by it which is normal for young people, but at the same time it also shows you the root of the problems.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ceekayzero wrote: »
    Did you all manage to get an Enterprise-E? Best Star Trek Micromachine ever made!

The best ones were the excelsior, d'kora, and the d'deridex!! Also the Borg cube one was badass.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif