test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

UI (skill tray) is very unresponsive

nitefiuunitefiuu Member Posts: 253 Arc User
edited February 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
pre-patch / update:

when u activated a power it was right away visible as activated according to ur skill-tray

after:

shows what is going on (what was activated) with 2-3 second of latency, and additionally grays out the tray for the same time even if that power is already usable

( u can use that power even if your tray falsely says you are not able to due to this latency )

very annoying :(
Battle Trek Online: KILL EVERYTHING
Post edited by nitefiuu on

Comments

• seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would guess it goes with much of the still current lag/rubberbanding.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • cptburnscptburns Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    also confirmed and doing the same for me, very slow response to button presses with mouse or keyboard where listed on the tray.
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think a related not is the 3-second hold on doff/R&D projects is now instant again. If the reason that was put in was valid, maybe that not working is causing side-effects with activating things.

Another point is my entire skill tray, all bars, randomly greys out completely. Last thing: the icon to call in freighters for support is a white box.
  • storybornstoryborn Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The UI only seems to update every second, not smoothly as it used to.

Clearly visible on the abilitiy cooldowns, as the background doesn't scroll smoothly round, it jumps.
  • jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well at least I know now I'm not the only one having an issue with this cause it's the same for me. I use 'hybrid' tray.....easier to show than explain...http://s2.postimg.org/9tihi5npl/hybrid_tray.jpg...and both places I click either on ability next to boff face or ability in tray at bottom and there is 2-3 seconds latency before the ability actually activates. Also, the cooldown timer rotation seems to be more rigid than it was before which brings me to the point that sometimes when the ability has cooled down it still shows part of the cooldown clock timer mechanism as if the ability was on its last second in cooldown process. Is there an ETA on this bug fix?
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2015
    We are aware of this and are working on a fix. Thanks for the reports.
    STO QA Team
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Glad it wasn't just me seeing this.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The easiest fix is to just put the old system back... the benefits are:
    1. The icons were much clearer than the 'new' messy ones
    2. The countdown animation was smoother and didn't give the impression of a very laggy game
    3. Activation graphic was instant, not taking our attention away from the battle
    4. Activation was reliable, unlike the current "maybe, maybe not" version
  • keepitnastykeepitnasty Member Posts: 0
    edited January 2015
    NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM!!!

What possesses you to keep doing the same thing and believing you will get different results!?

Who asked for new icons?!

My gawd!!!! PWE if you monitor this ....PLEASE CLEAN HOUSE!!!
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Thank you :)
  • nitefiuunitefiuu Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    as for the new icons.. at least it could be a graphics option which type one does wanna use like the hud-color thing we got.

would be less stressful 2 adapt
    Battle Trek Online: KILL EVERYTHING
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Is this the known issue that was on Tribble patch notes a few days ago??
    JtaDmwW.png
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would not call the old system great...unless something has changed, my lag was actually worse the old way. When I play tonight I will see if the system has deteriorated...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    UI lag always existed. It was bad, now it's ultra worse...

The icons were much clearer than the 'new' messy ones
    The countdown animation was smoother and didn't give the impression of a very laggy game
    Activation graphic was instant, not taking our attention away from the battle
    Activation was reliable, unlike the current "maybe, maybe not" version

^^^^Anyone disagrees with this? I don't. :P
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Before the anniversary patch, my frame rate would drop from about 60 FPS to about 20 FPS whenever I opened the "Skills" tab or the "Status" subtab of the "Reputation" tab. This clearly indicates that there was some unoptimized code. There is nothing on those tabs except for text and a few static images. The character "Status" tab didn't suffer from this problem, even though it shows an animated version of my character. After the patch, the "Skills" tab and the "Status" subtab of the "Reputation" tab no longer cause my frame rate to drop.

Other players had complained that the UI reduced their frame rate. They claimed that they could see a significant increase in frame rate when they turned off the UI. See the thread below.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1361301

My guess is that before the patch, several parts of the UI would refresh themselves automatically multiple times per second, even if there was no change. This comes at a performance cost, because the computer is doing unnecessary work. If the patch removed this automatic refresh, that would explain the performance increase people are seeing. However, parts of the UI may no longer refresh properly. Ideally, whenever an event updates a UI element, it should trigger that UI element to refresh. My guess is that many of these triggers were never implemented and the system was relying on the automatic refresh to run multiple times per second. That would explain some of the bugs I'm seeing:

Tribble ticket #48,266: Space and ground trays do not refresh properly
    Tribble ticket #48,267: Tray overlay malfunctioning in shooter mode

It would also explain why the cooldown animations are no longer smooth. There are two cooldown animations:

(a) Self cooldowns are indicated by a rotating clock hand.
    (b) Shared cooldowns are indicated by a horizontal line that moves from top to bottom.

There are now discrete jumps in both these animations. My guess is that the animations now refresh only when the number of seconds remaining is updated. The number is decremented once per second, so the animations refresh once per second.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • penguin44ca1penguin44ca1 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I found that turning the res to .50 and aa to off reduces the delay to almost back to normal. clocks are smooth and tray power activation is still slow but not bad. however this isn't a solution.
  • captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    just dittoing this i got it too.

if i ignore the ui graphic, the abilities do work when you click them, just the command tray updates slowly and sometimes freezes and lags for short periods of time

which feel like forever in a battle
    nerf.jpg]
  • maobemaobe Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, UI/Powertray keeps buggin around, greys out every few attackcycles. first thought had been hit by some new NPC-K.O.-Power but after reading this thread... well... :(
    U.S.S. JUGGERNAUT - Command Science Cruiser
    "Where we are is the front."
  • czuryloczurylo Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I had also reported this: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1361561
    janus1975 wrote: »
    1. The icons were much clearer than the 'new' messy ones
    2. The countdown animation was smoother and didn't give the impression of a very laggy game
    3. Activation graphic was instant, not taking our attention away from the battle
    4. Activation was reliable, unlike the current "maybe, maybe not" version

Yes. Signed. :cool: The Event is okay and nice. But not the new Boff-Skill-System nor the new Icons. It would be nice if Cryptic would making next time some Polls to ask ALL Players of the whole community worldwide before bringing out some changes or new things, which perhaps the most players dont want to have to.
    Before the last patch come out i had so many fun, i had so many pleasure to come every single day back online to play. And now? Now's everything worst. :mad:
  • eddie13blackeddie13black Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Unfortunately I have the same problem. It makes the space combat very annoying. I don't understand why they are messing up with icons when there are huge bugs in other aspects of the game. :(
  • fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't mind them changing the art of the icons, but I now have to click the icons a half dozen times for one to finally engage... makes combat very frustrating.
  • synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Same deal here. I was originally wondering if it was just on the Kobali ship but it seems it's universal.
  • xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    seeing this happen too.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
  • derin125derin125 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nitefiuu wrote: »
    pre-patch / update:

when u activated a power it was right away visible as activated according to ur skill-tray

after:

shows what is going on (what was activated) with 2-3 second of latency, and additionally grays out the tray for the same time even if that power is already usable

( u can use that power even if your tray falsely says you are not able to due to this latency )

very annoying :(

It realy is annoying , unresponsive , choppy , wierd , all animations are messed up I want the old skill tray back :(((((
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What's annoying is there was no need to update the icons. the old system was working as was.

Cryptic's list of priorities is baffling. Numerous bug threads, reports of things not working, and they waste time, money and resources on a unnecessary icon face lift, that surprise has bugs.

Since the event started really finding it hard to find the motivation to play this game. A lot of the fun is being stamped out behind time gates or a mass grind fest.

This game needs some massive CPR and we can only hope before it dies a slow painful death a new developer will come in and rescue the game.
  • penguin44ca1penguin44ca1 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Had this again today. Our fleet was going to do a mission and as we started getting involved into the match, people were blowing up all over the place. According to them, they couldn't get the ui to respond properly and they spent most of the rest of the time playing multi click guess with the abilities and not focused on fighting. I'm not one to usually complain either so for me to post as much as I have recently must say something. I really have had to struggle to want to get online. If it wasn't for my buddies, I probably wouldn't. Oh, Btw chats are lagged as well by a few seconds.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've been playing around with it and my 2 cents are:
    • Click activation: can be immediate or take up to 1+ second to activate.
    • The cursor must be held still, with a strong click, and not moved while clicking, or for up to a second after
    • Moving the ship with the keyboard while also clicking a button seems to increase the probability of a failure to activate
    • "Where" the button is clicked on the image seems to have no part to play in it
    • The icon itself may be very slow to 'register' a click (e.g. the Tac Team symbol happens above the ship, but the skillstray symbol itself fails to register for over a second, longest was nearer 3 seconds)

The problem is that if you need to click more than one button in quick succession for any reason (e.g. Tac team, and shields to get the shields to auto-improve themselves during a battle) you have to click one button, wait a second or so, then click the next, wait a second, then get back to the battle.
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pre anniversary it was not so good, but only about a second delay. Been trying to play Bug Hunt Elite since then which is pretty easy for my science character, but I'm having to wait 2-3 seconds for anything to happen, or nothing happens because by the time the button would activate, either the enemy is dead or I am from being completely unable to attack.

All ground is completely unplayable now. Space is a little more forgiving but still debilitating.

Edit: I take back what I said about space. Space is unplayable too. Oh well.