test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mandatory optionals have destroyed PVE queues

mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
I realize it's been said by many others in many other threads but this seriously needs to be rolled back.

We want to be challenged but being told 2 minutes into a mission "Too bad, so sad, you suck" is getting old. I'm in a small fleet and getting a pre-made group together is difficult, and even when we can we still can't get past these optionals. BTW, I easily have some of the best gear available and have played for years, so please don't tell me it's me.

How about a compromise? If you fail the optional you get a nerfed reward but being kicked out entirely is just too dictatorial and NO FUN. Now with you nerfing the handful of missions that people are capable of completing you are going in the absolute wrong direction.

We are here to have fun and command an uber powerful starship...not be scolded and kicked out of a mission.
Post edited by mirrorterran on

Comments

• rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No, badly implemented hitpoint sponges in lieu of actual difficulty changes, nerfed rewards, and locking endgame rewards behind "elite" content which you can't get to unless you already play "elite" content (and similar circular logic) have killed PvE queues.

The optionals would be fine, if the rest weren't also fubared.
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It is not optional if it is mandatory.

Also, the point was to make them harder which they did.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It is not optional if it is mandatory.

Also, the point was to make them harder which they did.

No. No they didn't. There is a difference.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have to admit, I enjoyed the game more when the optional objectives weren't required to finish the run. I didn't mind taking a reward hit for missing objectives but completely shutting down the STF is just annoying and doesn't make me want to come back very much. ESPECIALLY since some of the queues only have elite versions like that new Vaudwar(sp?) mission.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Last night went into Khitomer Advanced (not Elite, mind you), with a well-equipped ship (T5U cruiser with full mastery, rep sets, lvl 60 captain), and within 2 minutes, the mission failed. I have never seen a mission fail so fast; even the info GUI from my BO popped up for only a second, so I couldn't even see WHY the mission failed. If this is Cryptic's idea of fun, then it sucks to be them... :mad:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    HAHAHAHAHA pve queues destroyed??? Try playing pvp ;)

Btw, is wasn't the "mandatory optionals" that killed the queues. It was Geko and PWE who killed 'em on purpose long time ago...
  • robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's design changes like this that make me wonder if Cryptic is intentionally trying to torpedo Star Trek Online...because no developer could be this unintentionally incompetent.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Iv given up on advanced only managed to complete about 6 out of god now's how many (space). Just play normal now, fly around a & blow the c--p out of every thing.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Fleet mates are reporting 4 to 5 times a day groups blowing generators first thing.

They don't attack the cube or the spheres when ISA starts.

Four players (mixed fleets and names) fly straight towards the right generators and blow one.

They sit there until the match fails and warp out.

One heck of troll, same thing would have work pre-Dr so why now.
    download.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Last night went into Khitomer Advanced (not Elite, mind you), with a well-equipped ship (T5U cruiser with full mastery, rep sets, lvl 60 captain), and within 2 minutes, the mission failed. I have never seen a mission fail so fast; even the info GUI from my BO popped up for only a second, so I couldn't even see WHY the mission failed. If this is Cryptic's idea of fun, then it sucks to be them... :mad:

Actually happened to me too, the other day. I asked around in 30k, whether there was perhaps a new Objective I was unaware of, besides not letting probes thru, but nobody thought so. So, yeah, I too would be interested to learn what other conditions can make it fail.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Oh pls, there are enough channels where you can find competend teammembers. If you have problems with mandatory optionals than just reevaluate your builds. Ships with more scientific approach where certainly "buffed" by DR, as they can keep the goals of a mission from not failing. The very same ships can also do quite the dps, making it the jack-of-all-trades for players who dont do 30k+.

Fact is, the missions didnt get harder. After you had a bit time to adapt to it, they go down nearly as fast as pre-DR. Even in Pugs.

dgdolph wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHA pve queues destroyed??? Try playing pvp ;)

PvP has died at leass 99 times in the last 3 years when you ask the pvp-crowd...
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited January 2015
    This is spot on sadly...Have played off and on for a few years, and recently thought I'd come back, start from scratch, and try out the new content.

Have to say the changes are pretty horrible towards newer accounts who don't already have the best gear, and a TON of dilith saved from years of farming multiple alts to go ahead and get them all to MK XIV. "Well why not just do normal then till you farm"....Sure, except some mats can only be obtained via advance, or elite. So unless you want to grind EC at the same time you're grinding Dilith and marks to buy tech upgrades instead of crafting you're kinda stuck.

Now I saw the issues even before the recent gear additions that made dps builds skyrocket, where things simply blew up if you looked at it. Some people did have some insane builds with stupid high dmg. An easier way to go about that would've been to look at the gear combinations and see if that dps was working as intended instead of reworking the entire queue system and pooping on a large section of the player base, on top of adding a "troll" form of pve where players can intentionally make you fail.

Slight nerfs to dps builds that were over the top with a "Added" elite form of all queues for the dps elitist who complained about old queues being too easy would've been a much better route.

Atm though even MK XII VR gear is almost useless and you end up being carried by higher end players if you even attempt advance STF's, where before you could contribute decently in MK XII blues...
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hate to be a contrarian here, but I do remember how pre-DR there were people who complained that the STFs were too easy and seeing people often on the forums saying things like "If you always win then winning is meaningless." I also remember how people were mad that you wouldn't always get purple RnD mats in elite, that they were a random reward. So my guess is a dev tried to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Frankly, the fail conditions aren't that hard to meet if people know how to play the game. (The Azure Nebula fail condition gets a lot of grief, but if you can't solo a 1 or a 2 in 3 minutes then you shouldn't be in advanced. I was able to save a ship in 2 minutes with a build that I know is parsing at 12K in ISA. And if all 5 players could solo 1's and 2's then saving three ships in three minutes wouldn't be hard at all.)

The problem is that there are people in all pugs who have no clue how to play the game. They play normal where they can just pew pew their way through and assume that advanced is just more pew pew. What I'd like to see is fail conditions in normal, but make them easier (like the 10 probes condition in khitomer space, or make azure nebula fail at normal if you don't free 3 ships in 4 minutes or something like that). That way people would learn to do the missions in normal before hitting advanced.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Do you remember when they said Advanced would be the old Elite?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Do you remember how optional meant optional in the old Elite?

Cryptic does not recall that.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The pre-DR STF's WERE too easy. All too often I'd fly in, in whatever I was using, only to find one or two Aux2Batt BFAW Scimitards present. And then, one minute and 55 seconds later, the instance was finished. I'm sorry, but it was BORING AS HELL for anyone who wasn't the Scimitard.

I don't particularly like the new fail conditions. I don't particuarly hate them either. I find a successful completion, when they occur, more rewarding than those boring pre-DR STF's - it's just a pity that SOME PuG players don't bother to learn how to play the STF's.

I second this statement.
    download.jpg
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think the intent is to make these more of an exciting event than a grinder. I won't comment on the efficacy of this. However, I will say that it does make things more interesting for pugs. And pugs are what I do.

There are a number of bugs/problems which seem like they will never be addressed:

The 'anomaly' in viscous.
    The Benthans in Korfez
    Something maybe with the orb in undine infiltration? (I haven't had this bug myself).
    Borg Disconnected in general. Wave 2 and 3 need the small ship spawns that we have in wave 1. I wonder if anyone is aware that they aren't there?
    The timer on Azure. This mission is of course a breeze in a premade but the pug success rate is low. Nowhere near the 0.00% of BDA, but still.

3 of these are the only means of obtaining argonite. Argonite is the joker in the shell game deck to try and force R&D pack sales. This is why I don't expect any changes to these.

My overall review is that I personally like the changes. However, they are terrible for the game. So I hope to see them rolled back sometime this March when the player numbers reach an all time low.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Considering the time it's most likely that someone forgot to intercept a probe. Rookie mistake.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The problem is that there are people in all pugs who have no clue how to play the game. They play normal where they can just pew pew their way through and assume that advanced is just more pew pew. What I'd like to see is fail conditions in normal, but make them easier (like the 10 probes condition in khitomer space, or make azure nebula fail at normal if you don't free 3 ships in 4 minutes or something like that). That way people would learn to do the missions in normal before hitting advanced.
    If there was a place to find mission walk-throughs, we would all be further ahead with respect to understanding mission requirements. Since Cryptic moves the goal posts so often, I doubt that there is a current guide available.

As for the mission in my 1st post, I do not recall even seeing probes spawn near the first Tac Cube, so it's just speculation on the cause of failure. Since my KDF fleet is small, my chances of doing a pre-made PUG are poor. Guess I'll just have to be more observant in the FED queues...:rolleyes:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Kind of an oxymoron, isn't it? "mandatory optionals"....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    Kind of an oxymoron, isn't it? "mandatory optionals"....

more like problematic reading comprehension.

There are Optional Objectives and Mandatory Objectives.

The Optional Objectives in Normal difficulty turn into Mandatory Objectives in Advanced and Elite.

People are flipping tables because they think the Advanced and Elite missions say "Optional" when they don't.
  • franc275franc275 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Fleet mates are reporting 4 to 5 times a day groups blowing generators first thing.

They don't attack the cube or the spheres when ISA starts.

Four players (mixed fleets and names) fly straight towards the right generators and blow one.

They sit there until the match fails and warp out.

One heck of troll, same thing would have work pre-Dr so why now.

To answer your question of why now and not pre-DR - is because now you still get 10 marks, before you got nothing. So a troll, with multiple toons, maybe even multiple accounts, can hop into nearly every queue, ruin a bigger reward for everyone else, and still get 10 marks every time - sure you get a cool down, but again - with multiple toons, etc. who cares about a cool down.
    edited January 2015

The Optional Objectives in Normal difficulty turn into Mandatory Objectives in Advanced and Elite.

People are flipping tables because they think the Advanced and Elite missions say "Optional" when they don't.

Advance was supposed to be old Elite. Old Elite had Optional Objectives, not the Mandatory Objectives it currently is saddled with.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited January 2015

The problem though, is that the now mandatory optionals, still list themselves as optional on the list of objectives.

This is undoubtedly, what is causing the confusion.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Advance was supposed to be old Elite. Old Elite had Optional Objectives, not the Mandatory Objectives it currently is saddled with.

Well and thats one reason why pve has always been a joke and even with the latest changes it is for lots of reasons.

Mandatory Objectives at least make some people think about what they're doing. Should have been mandatory on elite since launch. Also, failing on elite should result in perma death to make it less of a joke (pressuming there'd be some balance and no stupid 1 shots).

Fail on normal PVE = nothing happens
    Fail on advanced = ship deleted/resources lost/whatever
    Fail once in elite PVE = character deleted

This for sure will like I said require some kind of balancing in the first place.
    edited January 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Well and thats one reason why pve has always been a joke and even with the latest changes it is for lots of reasons.

Mandatory Objectives at least make some people think about what they're doing. Should have been mandatory on elite since launch. Also, failing on elite should result in perma death to make it less of a joke (pressuming there'd be some balance and no stupid 1 shots).

Fail on normal PVE = nothing happens
    Fail on advanced = ship deleted/resources lost/whatever
    Fail once in elite PVE = character deleted

This for sure will like I said require some kind of balancing in the first place.

You sure give the tiny remnants of the PvP crowd a good name.

Bravo sir, bravo.

(It's not like Elite is exactly what's you're whining for or anything...)
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    " The timer on Azure. This mission is of course a breeze in a premade but the pug success rate is low. Nowhere near the 0.00% of BDA, but still."

One great way to improve your success rate in ANRA is to warp out before the 3 minute mark and queue up again.

But yeah what is up with BDA. These people fail there because they aren't even trying - bunching up on the same side, shooting bad guys instead of freeing ships. This is exactly where they need to put a fail condition into normal level (save 5 ships or something). If someone thinks the point of borg disco is to shoot borg ships (because they don't read the mission objectives), then they'll still fail at normal and will have to learn how to play.
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The problem though, is that the now mandatory optionals, still list themselves as optional on the list of objectives.

This is undoubtedly, what is causing the confusion.

Except they don't actually. That's the thing - people just aren't reading carefully.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If there was a place to find mission walk-throughs, we would all be further ahead with respect to understanding mission requirements. Since Cryptic moves the goal posts so often, I doubt that there is a current guide available.

IMO, there should be a single player mission available in everyone's journal relating to all of the STFs. Kind of like the holodeck simulator on Bajor. At the end, a score is placed on your performance; with a popup saying "Looks like you're not quite ready for this yet" or "You're ready to assist other captains in this endeavor" depending on how well one does.

It would only make sense. At least to me.
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    [I only read the original post.]

I haven't been in any PVE queues (except maybe one or two event related) since before this change, both because noone is ever around to run them, and because I fing the idea of requiring optionals to be mandatory to be a deal breaker.

In my opinion this has permanently crippled half of sTO.

I will continue to play PVE missions and DOFF and do a few of the events until I run out of content or lose interest.

I really did enjoy some of those queues for awhile (when I could find people to PUG.)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    IMO, there should be a single player mission available in everyone's journal relating to all of the STFs. Kind of like the holodeck simulator on Bajor. At the end, a score is placed on your performance; with a popup saying "Looks like you're not quite ready for this yet" or "You're ready to assist other captains in this endeavor" depending on how well one does.

It would only make sense. At least to me.

Would they have them for different roles? Would the person fly with some friendly NPCs in a team?