test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elisa Flores, daughter of Marissa Flores?

rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Ten Forward
So I just got done watching the TNG episode Disaster, the one where Picard gets trapped in the turbolift with the kids, and at the very end, the plaque they give Picard lists the girl's name as Marissa Flores. Given that Elisa is graduating in 2409, she was likely born 2387. Marissa was roughly 12 or so in 2368, making her 31 in 2387. Anyone out there think she could be the mother? Granted the Marissa is a blonde, but Elisa's father could be redheaded. And as for the last name, well, nothing says Marisa had to marry the father, or take his last name if she did. So.....related? I choose to believe why not, because it's fun.
bridges.jpg
Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Huh... that would be an interesting connection...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rtk142 wrote: »
    So I just got done watching the TNG episode Disaster, the one where Picard gets trapped in the turbolift with the kids, and at the very end, the plaque they give Picard lists the girl's name as Marissa Flores. Given that Elisa is graduating in 2409, she was likely born 2387. Marissa was roughly 12 or so in 2368, making her 31 in 2387. Anyone out there think she could be the mother? Granted the Marissa is a blonde, but Elisa's father could be redheaded. And as for the last name, well, nothing says Marisa had to marry the father, or take his last name if she did. So.....related? I choose to believe why not, because it's fun.

Are you aware of how much Marrisa Flores gets Mary Sue'd in fanfiction?

Granted, it is an interesting take and something Cryptic has not commented on.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    raventomoe wrote: »

Nope, I am now apparently
    bridges.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's certainly possible. Does Elisa Flores say anything about being a Starfleet brat in the new Fed tutorial? (Eleya predates it by several months.)
    raventomoe wrote: »

That's Marissa Picard, not Marissa Flores.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    It's certainly possible. Does Elisa Flores say anything about being a Starfleet brat in the new Fed tutorial? (Eleya predates it by several months.)

Not that I recall but I could be wrong it's been awhile since I paid attention to the tutorial
    bridges.jpg
  • Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I did not know my tactical boff's mom is canon
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i believe she is her mother but i guess it really depends what you wanna believe ^_^

• Options
    fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Getting marry sued? Some one explain please. :)
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2015
    ... Granted the Marissa is a blonde, but Elisa's father could be redheaded.

Speaking as a natural redhead with a natural curiosity about these things, I've been told we're the product of both parents having the red-haired gene ("ginger gene" if you prefer). So in your suggested fiction, Marissa would also carry the gene, just recessively.

Incidentally, and I've not verified this, but I've also been told that both parents would therefore have a Celt ancestry, or whatever the pre-cursor tribe to the Celts was. Apparently the gene comes from a single source. Since migration patterns suggest the Celts ancestry probably originated in the Russian steppes a long, long time ago, this explains redheads across European cultures. It also seems to explain some rare, extraordinary (and fascinating) cases of red hair, such as among the Asian populations near Russia.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fudgemonk wrote: »
    Getting marry sued? Some one explain please. :)

Mary Sue is fanspeak for an overly idealized character the other characters constantly fawn over and who rarely, if ever, does anything wrong. Usually female, often has canon characters fall in love with her, frequently dies in a beautiful, graceful way. Named after a parody of the phenomenon in a '74 Star Trek fic called A Trekkie's Tale.

TV Tropes has a bit of an essay on the topic here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Speaking as a natural redhead with a natural curiosity about these things, I've been told we're the product of both parents having the red-haired gene ("ginger gene" if you prefer). So in your suggested fiction, Marissa would also carry the gene, just recessively.

Incidentally, and I've not verified this, but I've also been told that both parents would therefore have a Celt ancestry, or whatever the pre-cursor tribe to the Celts was. Apparently the gene comes from a single source. Since migration patterns suggest the Celts ancestry probably originated in the Russian steppes a long, long time ago, this explains redheads across European cultures. It also seems to explain some rare, extraordinary (and fascinating) cases of red hair, such as among the Asian populations near Russia.

The red hair in Asia...that could well be a Tokharian thing. Tokharians were the furthest east speakers of an Indo-European language until being absorbed into the local Uyghur populations. They were known to be Buddhists and there is a mural believed to show a Tokharian monk, who is a redhead.

Oh...and I stumbled across this at random last night. The Tokharians translated Buddhist texts I to their language, and the Sanskrit term for the cycle of life, birth, and rebirth, and the consequences of one's actions on past and future lives (samsara) is rendered in Tokharian as...samsar.

It seems the Kobali speak Tokharian. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2015

That would explain why, in the Vampire Chrinicles, the vampire Armand, originally from Kiev, had red hair :cool:
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Mary Sue is fanspeak for an overly idealized character the other characters constantly fawn over and who rarely, if ever, does anything wrong. Usually female, often has canon characters fall in love with her, frequently dies in a beautiful, graceful way. Named after a parody of the phenomenon in a '74 Star Trek fic called A Trekkie's Tale.

TV Tropes has a bit of an essay on the topic here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

Tvtropes also has this article on the particular abomination in question.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Okay, that makes me feel a lot better about my fanfics. (Although I still feel like I've written my main fanfic crew into a corner, and I'm trying to find a way to work them out of that corner without turning them into Marissa Mary Sue Flores Picard Twilight Sparkle Whatever.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D:D:D

Please excuse me while I change my pants so I can continue laughing :D
  • Options
    edited January 2015

And people thought I was insane for mixing Magical Girls and Star Trek Online together...*points to sig at bottom* Working on the fourth installment today.

God sometimes AUing stuff stinks...
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D:D:D

Please excuse me while I change my pants so I can continue laughing :D

don't try to read them. They're not NSFW or NSFB, but they're pretty terrible.

This is what NSFB means, by the way.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    don't try to read them. They're not NSFW or NSFB, but they're pretty terrible.

This is what NSFB means, by the way.
    I wasn't planning on it :D
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    The red hair in Asia...that could well be a Tokharian thing. Tokharians were the furthest east speakers of an Indo-European language until being absorbed into the local Uyghur populations. They were known to be Buddhists and there is a mural believed to show a Tokharian monk, who is a redhead.

The history of that area of the world I only know in the broadest of information. So it is very interesting to hear that. I shall have to read up on Tokharians. (Is it just me, or does "Tokharian" sound like a Trek species name?)
    That would explain why, in the Vampire Chrinicles, the vampire Armand, originally from Kiev, had red hair :cool:

I don't follow that work, but yes, there are a number of redheads in the former Soviet Union countries. Why do you think Marvel made Black Widow a redhead? Besides the hotness factor. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I don't follow that work, but yes, there are a number of redheads in the former Soviet Union countries. Why do you think Marvel made Black Widow a redhead? Besides the hotness factor. ;)
    Makes sense :D
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Surprised we have not see Madoka Treks going around...seriously who would not want to see Q vs. Kyubey?
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I feel dumber simply for knowing this abomination-- this depraved, illogical, shark-jumping, incomprehensible, inconceivable, maddening, degrading, degenerative mass of stinking, Pakled-dumbing conglomeration of near-gibberish nonsense even exists.

It makes Moffat look like a brilliant writer.

On-topic, this would certainly be interesting, though since Marissa got almost no development in the episode, I see little significance behind it if it's true.

It does however make me want to play the new tutorial.