Install Arc
Options

Even More Updates to Rewards and PvE Queue Difficulty

Comments

• Options
    l3ct3rl3ct3r Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    :D I don't even care anymore.

Sto clearly crossed the point of no return for me.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Seems I'm finding myself scanning the forums more of late but only to see what's happening in STO and seeing if it bring me back/drives me away further though I'm down to turning over 3 characters R&D as it is and I've already got 1 character who's done it all!

I can see what Cryptic might be trying to do; alter reward and difficulty rather than heavily affect one or the other and other changes might make these seem more reaonable later. This may also be an effort to address 'balance' though this is not what I meant.

That being said I'm not supporting Cryptic on this heck no I'm just trying to see it from their perpective even if they don't care about mine or other peoples (and not acting or even responding to feedback is as good as ignoring). It took a resounding voice from the community to get an opt out for this ship transition the moment it was posted and even then we have to opt out but I'll take that as a win.

Really though I'm not that bothered by these changes oddly enough because I'm not really playing the content as it is. It's hard to be critical of something that you're not affected by and it's probably more reason not to return to that content. Besides Cryptic will push this through anyway.

New lockbox coming and I'm thinking.....given I barely play do I need to invest even if it's through the exchange? Do I need to grind XP or anything for that matter? As a LTS I can't say I quit, I can come back anytime, play the free story content and wait until the next story and I think time will answer that for me rather than make a conscious decision. Cryptpic can decide whther I play more or not but I've given a lot of the last 5 years to STO so it's not like I've not got my fill and maybe I just need a break but breaks are only worth it if you're looking forward to coming back, which I'm not. Monetizing only works if you get people to play your game and for me that isn't happening.

So if we aren't happy with these changes adapt as best you can I guess until you're left between not playing (not the same as quitting I might add, can still come back) and playing that bit of content you've simply had enough of or refuse to play and then make a choice.

I'm just waiting for the day when all of this comes back to bite Cryptic and they're forced to make a U-turn or just close up shop saying STO's run it's course not long after they've said the latest season was the most successful ever :confused:.

This is how i feel... as a LTS i log-in do R&D, Doff-jobs with 6 characters, 1 or 2 Bughunt and log out.
    Slowly filling my doff xp and R&d, waiting for Cryptic to change back to the old cryptic from 4 years ago...... Talking with and to us.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would write a long post detailing the various problems I have with these changes but there's no point.

The devs won't read it. If they do read it they won't respond to it.

What's the point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Lets quote Star Trek 2009:

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR VULCAN MIND?!?!?"

Honestly, what the hell are you (profanicy word) thinking! Those queues are EMPTY. NOBODY plays them as it is in a PUG. You got that? NOBODY Pugs them! So, the perfect solution to bring them back to life?

Lets INCREASE difficulty and DECREASE rewards! Hell yeah, that will definitely entice players to queue up for a PUG

I don't know what kind of brainfart you guys are having. I was so optimistic about coming changes, and then this. What is your goal anyway? Kill the game? Remove some queues because "nobody plays them"? End any new player's chance of ever actually getting anything done?
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Doesn't this, failure metric goal, create a positive feedback loop? By that I mean the following:

More PuG groups fail the queue and get frustrated

Fewer PuG groups play the queue

Success rate skyrockets as only private groups play the queue

I have a feeling this is why Cure space is considered to have far too high a success rate.
  • Options
    ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    PvE is almost dead and you still decrease rewards? Excuse me, but what the hell is wrong with you guys!?
    That's a slap in the player's faces.

I have no words to express how upset i am about those changes!

PvE is almost dead nowadays, you should increase the rewards to make them more interesting, and not anger the playerbase even more with more and more grind and less and less rewards throughout the content.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The "Cryptic Golden Rule of Average Reward for Average Player over Average Time" is nothing new...and things have, imho, definitely been too easy or too rewarding or even too easy and too rewarding; but that's something Cryptic did. They created those paths of least resistance and let them sit there, even as it was obvious there were blatant paths of least resistance there.

I picture there being a spreadsheet listing all of the content, with the rewards, the expected average difficulty, and the expected average duration. I'm picturing sorting that data...and...looking for what stands out.

Sure, there are going to be the things that stand out because they're too easy and/or over-rewarding...but aren't there going to be the too difficult and/or under-rewarding as well?

I agree a lot with this, but to me, what should be happening, and what is happening is frightening.

If there isn't a spreadsheet with all the queues, all the difificulties, total damage required for completion (avg), non-combat time, then expected effective dps there is a problem. A problem that should have people being fired.

Each N/A/E diffilculty should have a similar expected DPS check, ideally a HPS check too, but.. not in STO. Rewards should be calculated on difficultXtime. If they must establish time limits, which is a bad idea, you should have (total damage/min expected dps) + non-combat times + safety margin.

The problem we see is that none of the STFs seem to meet any consistant standard, and the reward changes are just like devs saying "what if we do this?"
    The spreadsheet, given data from the game itself should honestly not take anymore than a couple days for one person to make and tweak. It may have difficulty on more skillful missions, you could add a modifer column, like back in the day, Blockade took some talent to solo save all the freighters, since there was 3 freights and 5 people, someone had to.

Of course the real core problem is the game is boring. The queues are even more boring, they aren't well designed. If you had good queues, you'd have people who played them because they are fun (A few are great, like Mind trap was a blast ruined by afking neglet.) Unfortunately what we have is all pew pew pew, dps pits with no fun which means you find reward/time the most important factor there is.

Odd though, we've never seen a dev talking about fun, have we?
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I really don't know what to say anymore...but here goes.

Nerfing the rewards AND making queues harder will do only one thing = drive players away.

Maybe not the hardcore grinders, those who need to farm R&D mats or marks, or those able to join private queues.
    But the casual gamer, who I would say make up the VAST majority of the game's population will simply walk away when they realise that there is no incentive to play anymore.

You want people to play you new content fine....but people have their own free will, they will play whatever they dammed well want to. If you think you can corral everyone into your preferred content then all you will do is push people away. Players don't want to be forced to go down a set route, they want to play what they enjoy or need to play.

What you need to seriously do is balance the whole time vs reward setup in STO. It is as totally broken.
    You wonder why players like the old Borg STFs over the new Undine ones? Because the rewards for the time they need to put in a FAR, FAR, FAR better. Players who need marks, dilithium, BNPs etc for the game progression will always go for the path of least resistance. In this case the Borg STF's are far superior to your new missions. That is why people play them and ignore the newer stuff.
    You underestimated how much rewards matter to players and now you try to force us back to follow your way of thinking by nerfing that which the players prefer.
    Its the same reason Tau Dewa was so well used pre-nerfgate, it paid out better than your new stuff. That should have taught you something, clearly it didn't.

If you want to fill the queues, get people playing the newer content then you need it to feel a worthwhile as the older content.
    ISA is the standard for a quick fun STF that is not too difficult to complete even in a PUG setting. The payout is acceptable and is a fair reward for the timer and effort required.
    Breach Advanced on the other hand is a poor alternative. It can take up to 5 times longer to finish and the payout is still poorer than ISA.
    Undine Assault Advanced is another poor example. It can take beyond 30 mins to complete for no reward thanks to poor failure options, it pays out pitiful rewards.

Now do you see why people would rather play ISA or CSA than you newer content.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I cannot understand why these STF rewards are being reduced. There is NO explanation as to the decisions behind these changes... just a slightly more detailed explanation than what was presented in the Tribble Release Notes of what is being changed.

IMO, people are leaving the game as it is with these assinine decisions.

Are losing players the new metric?
    This particular batch of updates has focused on increasing difficulty for queues that are being completed at a higher rate than expected and decreasing rewards for queues that have been over-rewarding as compared to the reward levels we have established across all PvE queues.

The queues are pretty much dead already and you guys are planning on making changes that will have the effect of further alienating the player base?

My interpretation of this is... Since the players are focusing more on specific STFs, we have decided to nerf those STFs you focus on in an effort to force you to play the other ones... or find something else to do... or walk away, giving us the justification to shut down more elements of the game because...

The METRICS have spoken!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i could live with a bit less marks since the daily bonus will eventually make me reach my goal anyway, but the irrationally short fail timers that make sure 95% of the players will never be able to finish the mission (and obtain a bnp and purple crafting material for it) will make sure to drive people away from the few remaining alive queues (not to mention upgrading will grind to a standstill too, once existing purple materials are exhausted).

i mean, 9 minutes for cure advanced? most pugs need at least 20 or more to be able to finish it. with 9 minutes i'm expecting the failure rate to rise to 100% for them.

can't we get some real failure options instead of timers? something where failure will happen because of failing to prevent something from happening instead of arbitrary number reaching a certain point.

kind of like how undine infiltration has the "defend the orb" mission where your goal is to prevent undine from reaching it, minus the bug that causes it to fail randomly, or how infected conduit has the fail condition of letting 10 borg go through the gate.

hell, even the one where failure condition has borg reaching the generators is better than a time gate. the borg can at least be held off with various abilities like gravity wells, tractor beams etc long enough for the generator to be destroyed, so even a sub dps group can hope to do it before they'd normally float to the generator, a timer can't be delayed in any way from reaching 0.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The nerfs are unnecessary.
    Even the buff to Bug Hunt is unnecessary.

Seriously, what's going on?
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    aidy1972ukaidy1972uk Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Congratulations on adding another nail to the casual player coffin. For those of us in the DPS league these changes are absolutely meaningless. For the average player and the few that still pug via the queues, you've killed any chance for them to progress without forking over money to you.

Probably the entire motive behind the changes. I very rarely play the main STF in question so it doesn't affect me really. However, one of my Fleet mates has already suggested he's throwing the towel in with the game if these changes are properly implemented.

I honestly think he's not in the minority here either. As others have pointed out, everything in the patch notes seem completely backwards... Make the hard mission even harder but drop rewards, increase rewards for the already pretty easy mission but don't change anything?! (Won't get any complaints from me about that but still don't understand the logic behind it!)

Stuff like this keeps happening, I can see the game going the way of SWG. Would be a shame if the game became as barren as that one did.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Mr.Gray, at this point after reading this which follows months of player complaints since Delta Rising launched, I'm seriously inclined to believe that you (Cryptic) are actively doing the best you can to kill and shut down this game for some reason.
    Because, not even kindergarten children are so clueless as you (Cryptic) appear to be.

I'm flabbergasted. :eek:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    tonnbarttonnbart Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Back in the old days, games were designed to make the player lose and that worked really well in an arcade hall setting. You'd just throw in another coin.

Like others said, the time you have to complete the optionals is completely arbitrary and doesn't connect with the scenario. But it really is important to keep our failrates up, so that the player has incentive for improvements, right? After having "improved" though, will the fail timers be adjusted again? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Who sat there and thought... "Hmm, Bug Hunt, yes that needs to be increased but DECREASE THE REST!"

Are the other queues full of too many players? Are the players who participate in those queues just being over compensated for playing? Are those queue rewards really out of line with the other areas of the game?

The ONLY logical explanation for this is a management desire to herd the remaining players of the game into the new DR content.

Your words and your actions aren't lining up... if this game is doing so wonderfully then why are you having to take measures designed only to herd your player base into the areas you want them in? At this rate PWE upper management could almost make a case stating that the underlings are intentionally sabotaging one of their properties... It's almost like they WANT to get sold off to someone else... again. Or maybe devalue the property to the point that an employee buyout is possible?

Who knows but one thing is certain, these changes are not being put in place to improve the game.
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    vividhvividh Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    14 pages and no dev reply, they must have taken all the comments here very seriously!
    In game: @vividh
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    vividh wrote: »
    14 pages and no dev reply, they must have taken all the comments here very seriously!

And I wouldn't expect one. Its Cryptic's way......or the highway :(
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm not sure a group of fairly fresh level 50s could finish The Cure in four minutes.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I find it hard to give valuable feedback when I have no referance as to why those changes were made and what they are supposed to accomplish. :confused:
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I only read about 6 pages or so, just cant muster the energy to read it all. I will merely +1 all of the criticism and say thanks for the adjustment on the training manuals, even though i think the price is still too high in dil.

Im almost to the point of wanting to put the offensive anti dr signature on this forum.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Another round of PvE queue updates have been made and are making their way to Tribble for extra testing. This particular batch of updates has focused on increasing difficulty for queues that are being completed at a higher rate than expected and decreasing rewards for queues that have been over-rewarding as compared to the reward levels we have established across all PvE queues. We expect that these will be the only queues changed in such ways during this first pass of updates. As mentioned previously, this is an ongoing effort to improve STO and this update (and those that came before) are not the entirety of what will be done.

New to Tribble this week:

Bug Hunt

The rewards for successfully completing the Normal difficulty version of this PvE queue have been increased by an additional 25% above what they have been previously, while the rewards for successfully completing the Advanced difficulty version have been increased by an additional 50% and the rewards for successfully completing the Elite difficulty version have been increased by 75%.

The Cure Applied

The I.K.S. Kang has had its hull, shields and damage bonuses for Advanced difficulty reduced by half. The mark rewards for successfully completing the optional objective in Normal difficulty have been reduced from 25 marks to 15 marks. The optional objective in Normal difficulty has been updated for completing the queue in 15 minutes to completing the queue in 4 minutes or less. The objective in Advanced difficulty requiring that players complete the queue in 15 minutes or less has been updated to requires players to complete the queue in 9 minutes or less.

Crystalline Catastrophe

The base mark rewards for successfully completing Normal difficulty have been decreased from 40 to 30 marks and for successfully completing Advanced difficulty have been decreased from 70 to 60 marks. Additionally, the failure rewards for Advanced difficulty have been increased from 5 to 10 marks. The optional objective in Advanced difficulty has been updated from completing the queue in 10.5 minutes to completing the queue in 5 minutes or less. The optional objective in Normal difficulty and the objective in Advanced difficulty requiring that no more than 50% of players die during the Crystalline Entity’s pulse power, now requires that no more than 30% of players die during this same phase. The Crystalline Entity’s pulse power no longer has a safe inner distance and this pulse no longer damages or destroys Crystalline Fragments (large or small).

Colony Invasion

The base mark rewards for successfully completing this PvE queue have been decreased from 40 to 30 marks.

Fleet Alert

The mark rewards for completing waves one and two have been decreased from 10 to 5 marks. The mark rewards for completing wave five has been decreased from 18 to 15. The mark rewards for completing waves three and four remain unchanged at 10 marks.

Available on Tribble next week:

Atmosphere Assault

The rewards for successfully completing the Normal difficulty version of this PvE queue have been increased by an additional 250% above what they have been previously while the rewards for successfully completing the Advanced difficulty version have been increased by an additional 400% above what they have been previously. Additionally, the Elachi Walkers have had their hull and shields reduced.

Charles Gray
    Lead Content Designer
    Star Trek Online

Let me sum up my response. And I'll write it in several languages so you understand it.

In Spanish: Vaya al infierno.

In French: Allez au diable.

In German: Fahr zur Hölle.

In Malay: Pergi ke neraka.

In Farsi: Boro be jahanam.

In Russian: Перейти в ад.

In Chinese: 去地狱。

In Japanese: 地獄に行く。

In Romulan: Urru Areinneye.

Quit with the nerfs.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    seannewboy wrote: »
    Im almost to the point of wanting to put the offensive anti dr signature on this forum.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.

LOOOL

When a guy that have that on his signature is condirering joining the "ofensive DR sig" club, is a clear signal that cryptic is doing something wrong, LMAO.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,519 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It will soon be IMPOSSIBLE for any future toon for all but the top 1% to earn ANY rewards from ANY rep project...

I better darn well finish all rep projects before this goes to Holodeck. I'm at about a 50% success rate with CSA as it is...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm tempted to just go to the Academy section of the forums and tell everyone who is new there to just pack up and walk away now. Save their money for some other game and save themselves the torment we put ourselves through.
    Newbie players have a hard enough time as it is and I can see very little point in starting a new alt now even knowing how things work, a new player hasn't a hope in hell of getting anywhere now.

Heck, even having any alts and trying to level them has becoming something akin to poking your own eyes out it's so painful and tedious. Now with these new rewards we're not going to get any realistic rewards unless we are all doing private matches all the time with fleet-mates.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Have you totally lost your mind? Decreasing rewards is NOT a healthy direction. And do i have to remember that queues are already dead or dying?

If you think this will increase your profits, you are absolutely mistaken.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I wont speak for anyone else, but I'd like to know what the justification for this round of Nerf's to the Queue rewards are? because this is becoming old, real fast guys. Are you deliberately trying to force the average joe out of the queues?

People are screaming for rewards and Xp to be buffed and you guys trim them down even more.
    If you want to nerf something so badly why not nerf the Advanced HP levels of the enemy mobs back to what they were pre DR, so they're like you know equivalent to the old elite like they were meant to be.
    [*]The Cure Applied:
    • Decreased IKS Kang’s HP and Damage in Advanced mode.

Also some clarification on the Damage portion of the nerf, because if memory serves the Kang doesn't actually do anything other than sit there and look pretty, so again why or what "Damage" is being reduced?
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    some of these would make completing these harder for the other peeps, i didn't think it was April yet :S lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I wonder how long before dilithium is only available via the C store.
This discussion has been closed.