test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where do peeps get their Purple Boffs from?

furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Academy
One of the items on my (long) list of stuff to buy when I eventually have the money includes getting a full set of Very Rare Romulan Bridge Officers from the Exchange, all with Superior Romulan Operative. However, something occurred to me the other day when I was thinking about how expensive this was going to be: Where did the ones on the Exchange even come from? Obviously, the players selling them on the Exchange had to get them from somewhere else first....

But where?

Is it solely from the recruitment duty officer assignments that pop up? I don't think I've ever even seen one that involves recruiting Romulan Boffs; the only ones I ever see are for recruiting Starfleet Boffs. Do people make alts and just level a character to the point where they start getting Purple Boffs as a reward for reaching certain ranks, and just trade the Boffs over to their mains somehow? Is there some other method I'm not aware of?
"There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
Post edited by furiontassadar on

Comments

• sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    When you level a romulan character you get a new boff every 15 or so levels. (They let you choose one of three each time) It is always wise to mouse over the traits of each one to find one that has the superior romulan operative trait which is worth 10 million or more on the exchange. Sometimes none of them have the trait, but usually at least one of the three presented will. If one of the boffs has the infiltrator trait it could be even more valuable. You don't need very rares either, I've seen superior romulan op on blues as well, if that helps nay.

When making my kdf contraband mules I made all of them romulan specifically so I would get 2-3 boffs with extremely valuable traits. Selling them on the exchange would compensate me for the doffs needed for contraband doffing, and then some.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The Romulan/Reman boff recruitment assignments are extremely rare (way too rare IMO), but they do exist. I've seen ithem a few times.

Their rarity is the reason their traits are so expensive.
  • mongrelmp5mongrelmp5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    is where u can purchase your rom boffs. Rarity avail depends on If you have those unlocked in your fleet projects
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Romulan KDF captain: I got mine from duty officer missions. There is also 2 of them in the Delta pack, but only for Romulans not Feds or KDF.
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sonnikku wrote: »
    When you level a romulan character you get a new boff every 15 or so levels. (They let you choose one of three each time) It is always wise to mouse over the traits of each one to find one that has the superior romulan operative trait which is worth 10 million or more on the exchange. Sometimes none of them have the trait, but usually at least one of the three presented will. If one of the boffs has the infiltrator trait it could be even more valuable.

Yeah, again, I wondered if this was one of the methods. Too bad when I first leveled a Romulan, I was a complete noob and didn't have a clue. -_-

Ah well, food for though if/when I decide to roll another alt....
    sonnikku wrote: »
    You don't need very rares either, I've seen superior romulan op on blues as well, if that helps nay.

I noticed that the Embassy Romulan Boff with Superior Romulan Operative was blue, so yeah, I was vaguely aware that was possible, but I feel like any Romulan Boff with SRO is probably gonna be around the same price on the Exchange, regardless of rarity. Still, it's good to know for sure it's not just the Embassy Boff. I'll need to keep an eye out for it on blue Boffs as well...
    warpangel wrote: »
    The Romulan/Reman boff recruitment assignments are extremely rare (way too rare IMO), but they do exist. I've seen ithem a few times.

Their rarity is the reason their traits are so expensive.

And I was worried this was the case as well. :(

Okay, so it sounds like I haven't missed anything. I just got to keep checking the duty officer assignments on New Romulus, possibly plan on making a Romulan-KDF mule myself at some point in the future, keeping checking the Exchange, and grab the Embassy Boff when I have the Fleet Credits.

Thanks all.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Okay, so it sounds like I haven't missed anything. I just got to keep checking the duty officer assignments on New Romulus, possibly plan on making a Romulan-KDF mule myself at some point in the future, keeping checking the Exchange, and grab the Embassy Boff when I have the Fleet Credits.

Thanks all.

The Romulan/Reman Recruitment assignment will appear in the Personal list on New Romulus and in Sector space above New Romulus (probably all of Tau Dewa, but I'm usually above New Romulus when I remember to check). You can also get an Al-Aurian bartender from Investigate Temporal Anomoly (or somesuch) under the Science list, which I found amusing. Both appear to have an Assimilated Snowman's chance on Nukara Prime of showing up, but it does happen on occasion.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I got my Purple Rom Boffs from the ultra rare Doff missions. Between both of my Rom toons (Tac / Science) I have only seen the mission 4 times. Twice per toon. I managed to get 1 Purple Boff per toon; the others were a blue Boff and a green Boff. The last time I've seen that mission appear for my toons was back in November 2014.
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You can also get an Al-Aurian bartender from Investigate Temporal Anomoly (or somesuch) under the Science list, which I found amusing. Both appear to have an Assimilated Snowman's chance on Nukara Prime of showing up, but it does happen on occasion.

That's a DOff, not a BOff.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Blue bofs get one superior trait, purples get two.

Leveling alts to get new officers works, however the price for most has dropped. I've picked up several superior operatives for less than 2m, remans, however, are still crazy expensive.
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The recruitment mission can be found in sector space above New Romulus and in the command center.
    I got a full set of them just from leveling my toon. But that wont help you now...

Romulans arent that expensive anymore and with the new training you wont need as many as before. The Remans i watched for 3 or 4 weeks now. Most of the time 7m+, on friday i shot one for 2.7m.
    Only sad thing about both of them, you never know beforehand whether they are FED or KDF aligned. (Only limits their costumes, but well...)

Ps. someone wants to exchange a FED SRO engi for a KDF one?^^
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You think they are expensive now? When I started, they were over 10M each (and for a short period of time, twice that!) -- financed my first couple of box ships with nothing else :)

Hang out in Tau Dewa sector and you will get a shot at a rom officer every week or so, roughly. It helps to have alts --- with 5 roms, I have a pretty good supply of them.

It is absolutely critical to look over your offered officers when you level up and always choose the SRO if one is offered. My most recent rom had 1 of each type at level 40 with SRO just from these free officers over the leveling process. By 56 he had 2 of each (this includes using some I passed to him from my alts). Unfortunately, no one tells you this early on and usually people discover the tip ... at max level.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Only sad thing about both of them, you never know beforehand whether they are FED or KDF aligned. (Only limits their costumes, but well...)

Ps. someone wants to exchange a FED SRO engi for a KDF one?^^
    Hmm, I guess you *can* trade them after commissioning - I never really considered that. Jericho, I might have one I'd trade out. I will try to look at my boff rosters over lunch today. [EDIT: Looked, my Fed-Rom has a Kli-Rom Tac Boff, but no cross-factioned Engineering boffs, sorry. Perhaps someone who has bought more boffs might have one?]

As for the rarity of the doff mission that awards the Rommie Boffs, it can be exceedingly rare. I always log both of my Roms out in Tau Dewa or on New Romulus and always check for that mission. Until last week I thought perhaps the mission had gone away again - it had probably been at least 3 months since I'd seen it. Then I got the mission for a Tac Boff last week, ran it (Purple Boff, but no SRO :( ), and last night there it was again and for another Tac!! I'd always thought perhaps there was an insanely long cooldown, but apparently it is just that rare.

Maybe I should've gone and bought a lottery ticket after that...
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Jericho, I might have one I'd trade out.

Until I checked the previous poster's name, I thought for a minute that "Jericho!" was an ingenious response to the swearing filter :)
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wombat140 wrote: »
    That's a DOff, not a BOff.

I know, but it's rare enough (and for me amusing enough) that I check for the assignment while I'm looking for the Romulan/Reman boffs in Tau Dewa. :)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Blue bofs get one superior trait, purples get two.

Leveling alts to get new officers works, however the price for most has dropped. I've picked up several superior operatives for less than 2m, remans, however, are still crazy expensive.

2 million still isn't pocket change (for me, at least), but yeah, that's a lot cheaper than what I thought. For some reason, I thought they ran about 10 million each. O_o

After seeing your post here, I did have a look at the Exchange myself. Male Romulan Tactical Officers with Superior Romulan Operative do indeed just cost only 2 million. It gets slightly more expensive for Science Officers and Engineers, and female Romulan Boffs with SRO tend to be closer to 5 million. At least, as of the time I went looking.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    2 million still isn't pocket change (for me, at least), but yeah, that's a lot cheaper than what I thought. For some reason, I thought they ran about 10 million each. O_o

After seeing your post here, I did have a look at the Exchange myself. Male Romulan Tactical Officers with Superior Romulan Operative do indeed just cost only 2 million. It gets slightly more expensive for Science Officers and Engineers, and female Romulan Boffs with SRO tend to be closer to 5 million. At least, as of the time I went looking.

The supply at any given time is low so it fluctuates. In general lowest prices Friday to sat, raising again on Sunday and early week. But even then you get odd variances. You only need a few, so there's no reason not to just wait patiently and check often.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2015

You will get there.
    At 60, one inventory full of rubbish from combat is worth close to 400k. You can fill this pretty fast in some of the PVE -- I usually fill it twice just doing empire defense. Over a week, you are talking 3+ million for an active player that fills their hold at least once a night (space, not ground, ground junk is not worth much).

And that is just junk vendor trash money. If you get a few crafting materials from STFs and nodes and DO assignments, you get another million a week give or take --- many blue and purple materials are worth over 50k each (some quite a bit more than this).

So unfortunately or not, a couple mil actually is pocket change in the long term. There are many players with hundreds of millions.
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    @royalsovereign
    Yes, you can trade them after commissioning, but only face to face with another player not via exchange. So just like the "old style" BOff training.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    @royalsovereign
    Yes, you can trade them after commissioning, but only face to face with another player not via exchange. So just like the "old style" BOff training.
    Yeah, that I knew. I just hadn't really thought about it. I've got several SROs that I haven't commissioned, but I was specifically looking for a cross-factioned engineer for you, and that I don't have.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax