test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan Ale

captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Ten Forward
Since before the dawn of as far back as I can remember, Romulan Ale has been forbidden in Ten Forward (not that we keep a stache tucked away for the occasion in the fleet).

So for a little fun, if Romulan Ale were allowed here, what wouldbit be uses for. Sensible, practical purposes? Or whimsical uses, like starship (or my case, bus) fuel?

Anything goes and laws of physics aside.
Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
Post edited by captan2er0 on

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Depends on how good the brewer is.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It could be used for anything, EXCEPT diplomatic functions.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    At a pinch, one can use alcohol for disinfecting wounds and the like so Romulan ale could be used for that, assuming that it is alcohol as we understand it.

Perhaps red shirts could use it to dye their shirts blue? :D
    I need a beer.

• rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Why is Romulan Ale still illegal, anyway? Aren't the Romulans on our side now?
    76561198032353876.png
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rooster707 wrote: »

It's part of our evil plan to take over! :D
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
    edited January 2015

I thought about this a bit for my fics. Ale was probably part of a trade embargo against the Star Empire specifically, in other words falling under the purview of customs enforcement rather than narcotics trafficking. As such, it shouldn't be illegal to import from either the Republic or from independent planets (in my fanon a bunch of them declared independence either after Hobus or when the Republic broke the news that the Tal'Shiar were responsible).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2015
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's strictly fanon, but one conclusion people have reached after watching the TNG movies is that Romulan Ale is only safe for consumption by Romulans and other races with a tolerance for whatever it's made of.

We know it's not pure alcohol because it's blue, but we don't know WHY it's blue. That and it causes Klingons (who have a high tolerance for alcohol) to have similar symptoms as humans. Also people apparently like it for it's flavor. Not that we have any description of what it tastes like.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited January 2015
    It's strictly fanon, but one conclusion people have reached after watching the TNG movies is that Romulan Ale is only safe for consumption by Romulans and other races with a tolerance for whatever it's made of.

We know it's not pure alcohol because it's blue, but we don't know WHY it's blue. That and it causes Klingons (who have a high tolerance for alcohol) to have similar symptoms as humans. Also people apparently like it for it's flavor. Not that we have any description of what it tastes like.

I've always pictured it to taste like this> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Full-Throttle-Blue-Demon-Energy-Drink-16-oz/21269001
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
    edited January 2015

The Romulan Way has it that the ale is hard for even Romulans to drink (it's apparently rather harsh to the throat). There's a bit in one of the Romulan history chapters where Terise Haleakala-LoBrutto comments that the Romulans drink it in part to prove that they can.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's obviously the "moonshine" of the Star Trek Universe.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2015

I'm actually puzzled at how we even have Romulan Ale, at least fresh sources, after the whole system blew up. I suppose there may have been an out-of-system plant and seed "ark" of sorts from which they can regrow their home produce, but you have to wonder if it would taste the same growing in an alien environment.

The pre-Hobus ales probably fetch a fortune now on the black market.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    The Romulan Way has it that the ale is hard for even Romulans to drink (it's apparently rather harsh to the throat). There's a bit in one of the Romulan history chapters where Terise Haleakala-LoBrutto comments that the Romulans drink it in part to prove that they can.
    So, kind of like ryncol from Mass Effect 2. (The trader on Tuchanka cautions Shepard not to buy his ryncol. Grunt confirms: "Ryncol hits most aliens like ground glass." If you go into the Dark Star, a bar on the Citadel, and keep ordering drinks, the bartender will eventually get around to serving Shepard a glass of ryncol. He/she downs it - and then, despite all the cybernetic enhancements, winds up passed out on the bathroom floor. I suspect it's what the batarian barkeep in Afterlife, on Omega, was using to poison his human customers, because that drink had the same effect.)

As for how we have Romulan ale, it must be possible to brew it from other sources - either a grain that the Rihannsu took with them as they colonized other worlds, or some local source that ferments the same way. (When I did a fic about my Rom character, I had them using the honey from Virinat insectoids as the basis for brewing "a passable Romulan ale".)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2015
    I'm actually puzzled at how we even have Romulan Ale, at least fresh sources, after the whole system blew up. I suppose there may have been an out-of-system plant and seed "ark" of sorts from which they can regrow their home produce, but you have to wonder if it would taste the same growing in an alien environment.

The pre-Hobus ales probably fetch a fortune now on the black market.
    Well they've been a spacefaring race for centuries. I'd guess they transplanted a lot of stuff. Maybe it's not even made from a plant native to Romulus? :P they had to have taken a variety of things with them from Vulcan when they left.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    As for how we have Romulan ale, it must be possible to brew it from other sources - either a grain that the Rihannsu took with them as they colonized other worlds, or some local source that ferments the same way. (When I did a fic about my Rom character, I had them using the honey from Virinat insectoids as the basis for brewing "a passable Romulan ale".)

My take is that ale is a fermented grain-based beverage (The Romulan Way says the main ingredient is a grain called kheh, although it's not clear whether it was native to ch'Rihan or a Vulcan import) and the khellid honey is an additive for flavoring, rather like people will use things like coffee beans, vanilla beans, spices, pumpkin, and even mushrooms in Earth beer. For that matter, Sam Adams uses honey in their summer ale.

Reason this is important is because my Romulan character Morgan was an ale brewer on Virinat and even exported offworld. She also made wines (which, in My Enemy, My Ally Ael says that Romulan wine is actually more alcoholic than the ale).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Reason this is important is because my Romulan character Morgan was an ale brewer on Virinat and even exported offworld. She also made wines (which, in My Enemy, My Ally Ael says that Romulan wine is actually more alcoholic than the ale).
    Works for me - Nniol tr'Keiniadh worked as basically the militia for Virinat (it's not like they needed much in the way of military defense - well, until that fateful day...). He knew just enough about ale to know what best to cut it with.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2015
    My take is that ale is a fermented grain-based beverage (The Romulan Way says the main ingredient is a grain called kheh, although it's not clear whether it was native to ch'Rihan or a Vulcan import) and the khellid honey is an additive for flavoring, rather like people will use things like coffee beans, vanilla beans, spices, pumpkin, and even mushrooms in Earth beer. For that matter, Sam Adams uses honey in their summer ale.

I now must wonder if maybe the active ingredient in the standard version mgith be a fruit juice. IRL we have apple ale. (not the same thing as hard cider) We also have.. that green stuff... Absinthe. It's basically grain alcohol with an herbal concoction added in. The herbs are what makes it green and gives it the interesting flavor. At least if you get the real thing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2015
    Here are some fun recipes. I may have to try the Romulan one some day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scQOHTQIusw

There is another familiar drink no one talks about, Cardassian Kanar, it looks like it would taste like Captain Crunch flavored beer. Yuk!
  • carter60carter60 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    im wondering... how exactly are ya gonna do this take over lunasto?
    edited January 2015
    carter60 wrote: »
    im wondering... how exactly are ya gonna do this take over lunasto?

What take over?
  • carter60carter60 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lunasto wrote: »
    It's part of our evil plan to take over! :D

this is what i meant =)

and how are gonna pull it off ?

=)
    edited January 2015
    carter60 wrote: »
    this is what i meant =)

and how are gonna pull it off ?

=)

lolz, I forgot about that.

I'll buy my way to victory. Torpedoes aren't cheap!

http://luna-devi.deviantart.com/art/Luna-Dollar-507656311
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lunasto wrote: »
    Here are some fun recipes. I may have to try the Romulan one some day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scQOHTQIusw

There is another familiar drink no one talks about, Cardassian Kanar, it looks like it would taste like Captain Crunch flavored beer. Yuk!
    more like karo syrup (better known as corn syrup), since that's what they used for the kanar on DS9, and the stuff the actor playing damar on the show ended up drinking; they later had to switch to sugar-free pancake syrup because the karo made him go weird
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited January 2015
    more like karo syrup (better known as corn syrup), since that's what they used for the kanar on DS9, and the stuff the actor playing damar on the show ended up drinking; they later had to switch to sugar-free pancake syrup because the karo made him go weird
    well... Corn Syrup is mostly sugar... even adults will have it go to their head when their blood sugar goes up.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    It could be used for anything, EXCEPT diplomatic functions.

It should not be used for anything, EXCEPT diplomatic functions.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.