test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter on XBOX One

cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
With Neverwinter listed as coming to XBOX One some time in 2015. Will STO follow? Would you be interested in playing STO on a console as well as the PC? I would definitely give it a try to see if I could adapt to playing with a controller just to play on a big screen. :cool:
<
> <
> <
>
Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
Post edited by cookiecrook on

Comments

• Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    I don't think QA would survive the transition.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Neverwinter's controls are perfect for console use due to it already has been simplified for controllers. STO is not capable of simplifying the controllers enough to be able to use it for a console.
    ^--- said it better than I did ---^
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Neverwinter's controls are perfect for console use due to it already has been simplified for controllers. STO is not capable of simplifying the controllers enough to be able to use it for a console.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This has come up in the PWE going private thread. IMO this has been the goal of PWE since buying Cryptic. (not taking STO to Xbox)

Taking Cryptics Engine to the Xbox. Neverwinter is already on Xbox in China. It was one of the Xbox one Launch titles in China back in Sept. It is supposed to hit NA / EU market Xbox Q1 2015.

If you pay attention to PWE in general you will notice most of there newer MMO style games are Action MMOs. Swordsman fits this bill.

I would imagine if Neverwinter does well in China and or NA on the Xbox... we will likely see PWE make new Action MMOs for the Xbox and perhaps other platforms like PS later.

I think there goal with Cryptic was to take there Engine which is good for Quickly producing MMOs and porting it. I think they directed the tail end of Neverwinter Development more toward the action end of it so this would work... and I think they had the porting work start likely almost as soon as they stepped in.

Long term they could go a step further now when Mobile hardware catches up a bit more and port the engine to something like Android pretty easily as well. Tablet AAA style FTP MMOs are likely a few years off... if the console stuff takes off I think that is where they will go.

For STO... na no way to much to get it to work on an Xbox, with far to little upside.

I think the real question is... how much of Cryptics engine is the new Xbox port. Its not like they have really said. We know PWE has used there own Angelica III engine for Swordsman for instance. You would think that is what they would want to port to Xbox. It seems odd they have 2 engines for games that are so very much the same to develop going forward. I wonder if perhaps Xbox Neverwinter isn't really running on the Cryptic engine at all but is Neverwinter basiclly re created in the Angelica Engine and that is what is running on Xbox hardware. Hard to say.
    Its also possible that the Xbox Never winter is running on a hybrid engine that is going to be the PWE going forward... that is half Cryptic engine half Angelica. Perhaps its like Angelica 3.5
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    OMG!

Virus quoted a post from 5 minutes in the future! :eek:

:D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    OMG!

Virus quoted a post from 5 minutes in the future! :eek:

:D

I just saw that wth.
    I knew Virus was a Dev. lol ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Virus could see the truth clearly, even through the veil of Time Itself.

The NW controls are perfect for consoles, as I noted the first time I tried to play it. Heck, if I ever get an XBone, that'll be one of my games on it! However, the control schema for STO and CO are, in my opinion, too complex to be effectively distilled to console controllers.

(Although I would be delighted to be proved wrong!)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    With Neverwinter listed as coming to XBOX One some time in 2015. Will STO follow? Would you be interested in playing STO on a console as well as the PC? I would definitely give it a try to see if I could adapt to playing with a controller just to play on a big screen. :cool:

This question was answered a long time ago...

Nein

Nyet

No

Nada.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't think QA would survive the transition.

Completely untrue.

There never was any QA whatsoever, much less making bonafide use of Tribble.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starkaos wrote: »

What he said. Try managing power settings, shield facings, maneuvering and about 15 Boff skills with a controller...
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Virus could see the truth clearly, even through the veil of Time Itself.

The NW controls are perfect for consoles, as I noted the first time I tried to play it. Heck, if I ever get an XBone, that'll be one of my games on it! However, the control schema for STO and CO are, in my opinion, too complex to be effectively distilled to console controllers.

(Although I would be delighted to be proved wrong!)

I think it could be done but would require both another Ground 2.0 pass (which would involve completely reworking kits and ground controls again) and a Space 2.0.

Currently, you CAN bind more than one action to a key. The revamp needed would probably REQUIRE people to bind more than one action to a key and design the UI to make that the intuitive way things work.

So in my opinion, it's not that it can't be done. Forcing it here would likely upset too many people but some MMOs have different servers and even different code branches for the console version. And you might allow PC players to copy their characters to the console server (with console control scheme and a controller required) but the PC server and control scheme would be maintained separate.

So you could have a console server with console controls which MIGHT allow PC players to join in, provided they are forced to use console controls as well. But you would need a PC-only server (the existing one) which blocks console players since they would be disadvantaged.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I know a couple of people that play STO with a controller on the PC. I can't say that their setups make any sense to me but it is possible. It is also possible to plug a USB keyboard in to a console and have it work.

I would like to see STO make it over to the XBOX One for a few reasons. It would also allow non-PC players to have a chance at trying out the game and hopefully provide a more stable experience. The single best reason I can think of is, it would signify this game has a lengthy future. I'm not going to scream, DOOOOOM, but it seems that CO and STO don't have any known plans yet to make it over to consoles where there is a fresh market for each game to try and make some money along with round up some new players.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think it could be done but would require both another Ground 2.0 pass (which would involve completely reworking kits and ground controls again) and a Space 2.0.

Currently, you CAN bind more than one action to a key. The revamp needed would probably REQUIRE people to bind more than one action to a key and design the UI to make that the intuitive way things work.

So in my opinion, it's not that it can't be done. Forcing it here would likely upset too many people but some MMOs have different servers and even different code branches for the console version. And you might allow PC players to copy their characters to the console server (with console control scheme and a controller required) but the PC server and control scheme would be maintained separate.

So you could have a console server with console controls which MIGHT allow PC players to join in, provided they are forced to use console controls as well. But you would need a PC-only server (the existing one) which blocks console players since they would be disadvantaged.

You could do some pretty easy QoL changes to combat to make it work as well.
    Emergency power settings set to a toggle, instead of rotating and button mashing EPtS and EPtW (or whatever you want) you just make them an always on ability. Same with team skills, cannon/BFaW abilities, their uptime is already on a pretty constant cycle already.

You could auto cycle a lot of abilites, or add in chains, then maybe use a disc type ability access system. Inputing a non-butchered macro system wouldn't be that difficult either.. the current one is terrible.

Even with a minimalist approach you'd still do worse than a PC, power settings would largely need to be static, sure they could add in quick change options, but in the middle of a fight? Good luck. Brace for impact or any other occasional use skills would be tough to hit in a timely fashion.

That said, since there has been no work in fixing the massive bugs, i don't think this is ever slated for the console. Anyone playing this game on a console would probably give up in frustration when TRIBBLE like the load outs break their game over and over and over.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    meh. Consoles support putting on a keyboard, but without one, you can't chat easily. If you put one on, you may as well have a PC. MMOs are not well suited for console play.

Also, you have like 50 things to click in STO --- officer skills, captain skills, etc. At least I know I have filled all 3 bars and then some, not including buttons that are not there like shield adjustment, movement, shooting, inventory/character/menus, and dozens of other things. The interface mapping would be clunky.

I am ALL for it because it will bring in new blood to the game. But I would not care to play it from a console.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2015

as the others have said I cant see this happening however you can use an xbox or playstation controller with a pc if you use motioninjoy or xpadder software that lets you difine certain key presses to controller buttons you could also try using a hdmi cable to view STO on a big screen.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think the real question is... how much of Cryptics engine is the new Xbox port. Its not like they have really said. We know PWE has used there own Angelica III engine for Swordsman for instance. You would think that is what they would want to port to Xbox. It seems odd they have 2 engines for games that are so very much the same to develop going forward. I wonder if perhaps Xbox Neverwinter isn't really running on the Cryptic engine at all but is Neverwinter basiclly re created in the Angelica Engine and that is what is running on Xbox hardware. Hard to say.

The Cryptic want ads mention the Unreal Engine. That could just be that they're looking for someone with experience with a game engine, and the UE is popular and accessible. On the other hand, it could be that they're looking at going with a game engine that already supports multiple platforms for future projects.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    swamarian wrote: »
    The Cryptic want ads mention the Unreal Engine. That could just be that they're looking for someone with experience with a game engine, and the UE is popular and accessible. On the other hand, it could be that they're looking at going with a game engine that already supports multiple platforms for future projects.

That's interesting. I wouldn't imagine they would want to get into paying royalties to someone for an engine when they have so have at least 2 modern engines in there hands already. Perhaps the tools used when working with either or both the Cryptic engine and or the Angelica engine are close enough to be semi general skills. Anything is possible though. I can't imagine PWE wants to be developing multiple engines all the time, that can't be the most cost effective way to go in there situation. Perhaps they have looked at the numbers and simply decided its cheaper to licence then pay multiple large teams of systems guys.

The more I think about it the Xbox version must be some form of hybrid. I know Cryptic took a long time to get get it done. I am thinking that it was likely due to all the cross coding work. If PWE really has had them create a engine that is sort of a hybrid of the old Cryptic engine (or at least development tools) and the Engine the PWE systems guys in China have been using it would make a lot of sense. Something on that scale plues moving the Neverwinter assets over to such a heavily modified engine could explain some of there missed time frames. Going forward though if that is what has happened it could be really exciting. It could mean porting something recent from PWE like Swordsman could be done with a lot less headaches... and anything new could done on this new engine, which I bet is now nicely broken down and properly noted so it could be ported to other platforms if need be.

I think if they announce a Xbox version of Swordsman in the next 4-6 months we can assume that is exactly what they have been doing. If that does happen it could be a really great 4-5 year run for PWE assuming games like Neverwinter and Swordsman (the action MMO style) does well on consoles. To me it seems like a perfect bridge solution that leads them to full on MMOs on tablets and mobile when the hardware gets there in 3-4 years, because all the hard work will already have been done getting there engine ready to port.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited January 2015
    Completely untrue.

There never was any QA whatsoever, much less making bonafide use of Tribble.

This in itself, is untrue. We, the players, are STO's QA.

Remember when tac consoles were mysteriously boosted before DR, something the devs called a bug? That wasn't a bug, it was damage output QA, and we were the testers. Noticed that certain ground weapons were boosted recently? More QA, this time, testing ground gear upgrades. It's us. We're it. We're playing a years-long beta test, the finished product has never been delivered.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would definitely give it a try to see if I could adapt to playing with a controller just to play on a big screen. :cool:
    ...you could also try using a hdmi cable to view STO on a big screen.
    This. Even my one-off Best Buy brand TV has HDMI connections, I've done it before, only to discover I need to go to the optometrist.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    People who say controllers can't be configured to work with STO haven't considered that there are 2 things out there:

1. A huge selection of mice, joysticks, etc. to choose from, and

2. A lot of people who are already using them to do this very thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-67UiEzYyk

So, yeah - it could happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Multiplayer Systems Programmer (Seattle)
    http://crypticstudios.com/node/132

Listed under Bonus Points at the bottom...

"Unreal Engine experience"

Yeah, after reading that I had to go take a look.

But they also have the following position:

Engine Programmer
    http://crypticstudios.com/node/136

No mention of external engines.

The "Seattle" stuff gets complicated, though...no? Cause of just which parts of PWE, Cryptic, Runic, et al are there, eh?

It's funny comparing the PWE VFX job to the Runic VFX job...

http://www.pwe-inc.com/career (down at the bottom of the list)
    http://www.runicgames.com/about/jobs/visual-effects-artist/

But yeah, that multiplayer systems job in Seattle...hrmmm.
    swamarian wrote: »

That's interesting. I wouldn't imagine they would want to get into paying royalties to someone for an engine when they have so have at least 2 modern engines in there hands already. Perhaps the tools used when working with either or both the Cryptic engine and or the Angelica engine are close enough to be semi general skills. Anything is possible though. I can't imagine PWE wants to be developing multiple engines all the time, that can't be the most cost effective way to go in there situation. Perhaps they have looked at the numbers and simply decided its cheaper to licence then pay multiple large teams of systems guys.

The more I think about it the Xbox version must be some form of hybrid. I know Cryptic took a long time to get get it done. I am thinking that it was likely due to all the cross coding work. If PWE really has had them create a engine that is sort of a hybrid of the old Cryptic engine (or at least development tools) and the Engine the PWE systems guys in China have been using it would make a lot of sense. Something on that scale plues moving the Neverwinter assets over to such a heavily modified engine could explain some of there missed time frames. Going forward though if that is what has happened it could be really exciting. It could mean porting something recent from PWE like Swordsman could be done with a lot less headaches... and anything new could done on this new engine, which I bet is now nicely broken down and properly noted so it could be ported to other platforms if need be.

I think if they announce a Xbox version of Swordsman in the next 4-6 months we can assume that is exactly what they have been doing. If that does happen it could be a really great 4-5 year run for PWE assuming games like Neverwinter and Swordsman (the action MMO style) does well on consoles. To me it seems like a perfect bridge solution that leads them to full on MMOs on tablets and mobile when the hardware gets there in 3-4 years, because all the hard work will already have been done getting there engine ready to port.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    People who say controllers can't be configured to work with STO haven't considered that there are 2 things out there:

It's too slow. I don't know of any other way to put it. It's too slow. Even if one were just to have it with A, B, C, D, 1, 2, 3, etc, etc, etc rather than the names - the time it takes between the triggering of the various abilities is just too slow. Just don't know any other way to put it. Fingers are flying amidst the clicktastic...I play STO at a very hectic pace. I've joked that in some fights I just die of old age, because I'm too old to keep up with the hectic pace for extended periods of time.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I prefer using a gamepad and there are some nice bind files floating around the forums for them.

Yes, you do end up with the equivalent of the spacebar mash for the pile of short duration clicky buffs but even on a keyboard I put them on the spacebar because I don't like piles of short duration clicky buffs cluttering up my trays.

I think a well designed UI should be have its powers be easily mappable to a chorded gamepad layout. If you can't, you've got way too many powers.

I raided as a warlock way back when you wanted to have multiple spell ranks available. I liked the DoT and drain playstyle. I didn't like that I had every convenient key mapped for every combination of Shift, Ctrl, and Alt, to different things to do it.

(Moving the cursor is a separate beast, some games need the precision of mouse movement. STO, however, is not one of them.)
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    NWO was designed to be ported to console eventually. STO not so much.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The "Seattle" stuff gets complicated, though...no? Cause of just which parts of PWE, Cryptic, Runic, et al are there, eh?
    Cryptic North, which is (supposed to be) mostly dedicated to Champions Online. All the recent additions we've seen to CO - the Steel Crusade mission chain and accompanying open-world temporary mission, revamps to certain systems, the introduction of vehicles that aren't embarrassing to see flying through the skies of Millennium City, the open mission A Bullet For Biselle finally being fixed, et al - have happened since the acquisition of Cryptic North.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Cryptic North, which is (supposed to be) mostly dedicated to Champions Online. All the recent additions we've seen to CO - the Steel Crusade mission chain and accompanying open-world temporary mission, revamps to certain systems, the introduction of vehicles that aren't embarrassing to see flying through the skies of Millennium City, the open mission A Bullet For Biselle finally being fixed, et al - have happened since the acquisition of Cryptic North.

What engine is Blacklight using?
    starswordc wrote: »
    You can test that now, if you want. Get a USB gamepad (an Xbox 360 controller if you have it) and plug that into your computer, then plug your computer into your TV with an HDMI cable.

Heh, hook a projector up with that HDMI cable...play STO on a wall!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015

You can test that now, if you want. Get a USB gamepad (an Xbox 360 controller if you have it) and plug that into your computer, then plug your computer into your TV with an HDMI cable.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    What he said. Try managing power settings, shield facings, maneuvering and about 15 Boff skills with a controller...

Done.

When using the controller, you can have one button that is a neutral button. This button can act like the shift key on a keyboard. This means that with 16 buttons on the controller, you can turn it into 30, with one as a neutral.

If you use 2 as a neutral, then you can turn 14 into 42.

But with the ability to put some of the skills to one button, like many map to the space bar, you don't need that many.

There are some console games already out there that do something like this by having you hold down one button, and then hit another one to activate a skill. In fact, I have recently been playing Defiance which is on consoles as well as PC. For both, you hold the left shoulder button, and hit one of three others to activate skills that those buttons would not otherwise be able to do.

So using only a controller for STO can, and has been done. Takes some time to get use to, but if you know how to keybind, it can be setup just how you like it, so you can get use to it quickly.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!