test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Request for 'no petitions' rule to be updated or removed

illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
I feel it's needlessly asinine that a thread titled 'request' should be permitted and a thread titled 'petition' should be prohibited when the actual content of the threads is identical beyond the title. Most recently noted on the dev tracker, in which a thread titled petition was closed and the dev closing it specifically says "Make this exact thread again but name it something else."

I mean really?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A request thread suggests discussion. A petition thread suggest folks either just saying signed or not signed. The difference should be obvious, no? The community service team does not want simple petition threads...but they are fine with threads discussing requests (as long as they're not FCT'd discussions).
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    A request thread suggests discussion. A petition thread suggest folks either just saying signed or not signed. The difference should be obvious, no? The community service team does not want simple petition threads...but they are fine with threads discussing requests (as long as they're not FCT'd discussions).

Except historically petition threads have all been discussion or included discussion in addition to the +1ing, and otherwise been identical to request threads.

Currently those threads are being closed because the word petition exists in their names, not because of the actual content in the threads.

I wouldn't mind threads that are just "Signed" or "+1" be closed as long as it's due to their content, rather than just because they were named with a particular word. It really seems needlessly asinine to close a well developed discussion because the word petition was used in the title, rather than, oh, RENAMING IT WITH THE MOD THREAD TOOLS?

Sheesh.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well the rules are pretty clear about it. If you the content is the same either way, why not just call it a request thread when you make it?
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Petitions come across as demands. They have fallen out of vogue and most companies dont allow them because they became overused. AT one point forums would be covered in eleventy seventy petition threads. Instead of demanding why not just give feedback.

No one wants to sit and read a bunch of threads where the bulk of people just write /signed.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just don't write petition on your title, problem solved:eek:

Seriously why are we making issues of non issues ?:confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Seriously why are we making issues of non issues ?:confused:

We should make a request thread that folks stop making issues of non-issues. That's a petition thread I'd support. ;)
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They used to be allowed... You know what happend?

People kept bashing the devs: "that petition said that's what people want so theres no reason not to make it so".

It was killed for a reason... It should remain dead.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "Petition" implies that twenty pages of people me tooing you makes what you wrote more important. It does not.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    And the wonderfull and usefull answer of the "brilliant" comunity manager

"Petitions are a violation of our TOS.

Closing thread.

Create a "request" thread for things like this, but no petitions allowed.

~CaptainSmirk
    "

Yep...straight forward. Petition threads are not allowed. If you want to request something, create a request thread. Odd that you "brilliant" Smirk about that, rather than "brilliant" all the folks that continue to ignore the simplest of rules and then complain about them, eh? ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, shame the op, what an idiot to make a misktake, but the wonderfull dev already treated him without any mercy, just as deserve.

If you mean the mistake of not trying to familiarize oneself with the rules of the forums before posting...er...sure. It's right there at the top of each section of the forums.

Announcement: Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=128&a=51

I make mistakes all the time...and uh, the mods let me know. ;)
This discussion has been closed.