test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Building A Winter Wonderland

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
This year, we brought a new level of art and cheer to the Winter Wonderland! Learn more about the what it took to build the Winter Wonderland event from the snow up! From iconic Gingerbread citizens, to the fearsome Snow-borg, Q's Winter Wonderland has it all.

Check out our latest blog here.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This year, we brought a new level of art and cheer to the Winter Wonderland! Learn more about the what it took to build the Winter Wonderland event from the snow up! From iconic Gingerbread citizens, to the fearsome Snow-borg, Q's Winter Wonderland has it all. (...)

Kudos to the team because the visual design elements added this year look terrific.
  • macready08macready08 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Can you fix the servers pls
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Good read, but it would have been more interesting to see those previous iterations and [incidentally] some Snorg concept art if that was ever produced.
    tucana66 wrote: »
    Kudos to the team because the visual design elements added this year look terrific.

Indeed. One can certainly gush about the major visual elements but what impresses me most about this year's WW is just the ambient environmental effects and skybox. The environment feels more substantial than previous years.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So "Snorg" is the officially recognized designation now? Excellent, I like it. And I have to say I personally am loving the winter event and the new Tides of Ice part as well.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So "Snorg" is the officially recognized designation now? Excellent, I like it. And I have to say I personally am loving the winter event and the new Tides of Ice part as well.

funny thing is i was the first one to come up with that name and said it on the trekradio ingame chat looks like the name spread fast lol. incase anyone knows my ingame toon i am AkuhaShuzen lol

• mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's interesting to see a bit of the design process here. The reskin on the winter lodge turned out pretty neat, and the Snorg Attack is a lot of fun - I wouldn't mind seeing more events along those lines - though now that everyone has winter weapons we almost need a Snorg Attack Advanced... or even Elite...
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I want a liberated snorg bridge officer!
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    *yawn*
    was that published to distract us from the offline server?
    didnt work

next to that is the new look terrible... but well... we had countless of feedback going into that direction and it was ignored
  • hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Excellent job to the team. The aesthetics are well done, and the schedule allows for having a lot of fun over a long period of time.
  • p4hajujup4hajuju Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes, the new Winter Wonderland is quite nice.

And hopefully you guys get the server up soon.
    Galavant!
    "Use Temporal Skills to NERF EVERYTHING before it happened!" -Unknown source.
  • crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "Freezistance is futile" My favourite line. :D
  • stonelokistoneloki Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I really do love it this year, and thank you for having it, best seasonal event you all do. Next year though, can you make a bigger skating pond? Maybe a ice rink? Shame to not have something larger for the ice boot skates.
    2p1n3_by_rainrivermusic-d6fyhfm_zpsemwlec9g.gif
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, I'm loving the winter event, the new game fits in nicely, and is really fun to play. The enviromental art work is seasonally spectacular! If I wore a hat, I'd take it off to you guys.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That bit at the end about the art inspiration... not buying it. This is a blatant Frozen cash-in. Might as well admit it to everyone. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    That bit at the end about the art inspiration... not buying it. This is a blatant Frozen cash-in. Might as well admit it to everyone. :rolleyes:

2014 Winter Wonderland: Ice Art Nouveau (see. article)
    Frozen: Ice Gothic (as far as I've been able to tell.)

Art history, its a thing. :rolleyes:
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    2014 Winter Wonderland: Ice Art Nouveau (see. article)
    Frozen: Ice Gothic (as far as I've been able to tell.)

Art history, its a thing. :rolleyes:

Can we get Ice Rococo next year? That's always been my favorite period. :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    johnnymo1 wrote: »
    I want a liberated snorg bridge officer!

Not sure how effective a Bridge Officer it would be, if its only weapon is snowballs? :o
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was hoping that they were going to do something to add to the Winter Wonderland like they did for Risa this year. I did NOT expect that when Q blinked me in though.

On the one hand I miss the old wooden wonderland as it was kind of Homey, but the new one is also far more...Wonderland-y.

Immense props and respect, this winter event thus far is vastly more fun than last year's and less grindy as well, and more fun than the summer event too. Great balance. But visually. A masterpiece, everyone should look up every once in a while. That aurora. Wonderful.
    crowley875 wrote: »
    "Freezistance is futile" My favourite line. :D

I love "Celsius is Irrelevant and Fahrenheit is irrelevant."

"And we only wish increase cold for all species."

The first time I heard those, I was so done, I was overwhelmed by the adorableness.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I was hoping that they were going to do something to add to the Winter Wonderland like they did for Risa this year. I did NOT expect that when Q blinked me in though.

I love these "behind the scenes" blog posts that show how the devs came up with their ideas.
    On the one hand I miss the old wooden wonderland as it was kind of Homey, but the new one is also far more...Wonderland-y.

The wooden one felt cozy and quaint like an old mountain lodge. The new "everything is made of ice" one definitely feels more fantasy-like.

I love "Celsius is Irrelevant and Fahrenheit is irrelevant."

"And we only wish increase cold for all species."

The first time I heard those, I was so done, I was overwhelmed by the adorableness.

Also, "You will be ice-similated". :D
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I like the fact that we have a little time-out from the (slightly) more serious tone of the game during the winter and summer months for stuff like this.

I missed it last year, but the new Wonderland looks great and I'm enjoying my visits.

BZ, devs!
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Tides of Ice is, indeed, visually attractive, well thought out, and a challenging tactical exercise.

It's a shame, then, that it doesn't flippin' work properly.

(Yes, I just finished yet another bugged run with no completion credit, and yes, I am cross.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I always enjoy the summer and winter events.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm glad they put the effort into this being the first one I believe was something they did on the fly because of the shape of the game when they announced f2p coming and there was virtually nothing to do except the only 3 stfs lol.

This is just me but it looks like more went into the wonderland than all of DR lol. Then there is the fact in my view or my opinion rather that there should be content that we can play like the snow borg stuff that is fun and not tied to any grind. Roughly besides pvp that is what the game is missing and its not exactly a true horde since the instances are so small. This goes back to how broken code is on this game if you compare a game like NW to STO... NW virtually runs 90% less resources and its graphics are way better but STO is okay when it comes to space but comparing ground and the way it is on NW it clearly shows how they need to go in and fix stuff so it will allow them to go into things that have been limited for them thus far. Especially since in space combat even if you have the best built machine out there you are going to lag like grethor where as I've played games recently where I'm in the same area with over 1000 players and there isn't a bit of lag.
  • e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Can old wooden assets be saved for the Foundry, perhaps? Just sayin'
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    These events which are intended to be fun, have become a grind.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Stiffed on completion credit yet again, and I am seriously thinking that Cryptic should come up with something by way of apology for this foul-up.

No, I'm not demanding X thousand Zen or Y weeks extension to the event or anything like that. I'm suggesting, though, that the dev team should think of something they can hand out to people - like me - who've done the event, not got credit for doing the event, submitted bug reports on the failure, and so forth.

Something which says "hey, guys, we messed up the event and spoiled your fun, and we are honestly sorry about that."

A friend of mine does Second Life (see, there are sadder cases than me around), and she tells me of one coder there who, when he messed something up, would send "Delicious Toffee" (as in "[name] can't code for") to everyone affected. Something along those lines. Wouldn't cost much, wouldn't give anyone an unfair advantage in gameplay, might go some way to restoring the goodwill lost here.

Or, of course, they could try fixing the flippin' event, but frankly I'm not holding my breath waiting for that one.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    shevet wrote: »
    Stiffed on completion credit yet again, and I am seriously thinking that Cryptic should come up with something by way of apology for this foul-up.

No, I'm not demanding X thousand Zen or Y weeks extension to the event or anything like that. I'm suggesting, though, that the dev team should think of something they can hand out to people - like me - who've done the event, not got credit for doing the event, submitted bug reports on the failure, and so forth.

Something which says "hey, guys, we messed up the event and spoiled your fun, and we are honestly sorry about that."

A friend of mine does Second Life (see, there are sadder cases than me around), and she tells me of one coder there who, when he messed something up, would send "Delicious Toffee" (as in "[name] can't code for") to everyone affected. Something along those lines. Wouldn't cost much, wouldn't give anyone an unfair advantage in gameplay, might go some way to restoring the goodwill lost here.

Or, of course, they could try fixing the flippin' event, but frankly I'm not holding my breath waiting for that one.

They will fix the event but only after the event is finished
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Tides of Ice is, indeed, visually attractive, well thought out, and a challenging tactical exercise.

It's a shame, then, that it doesn't flippin' work properly.

(Yes, I just finished yet another bugged run with no completion credit, and yes, I am cross.)
    The thing is that I'm not getting the completion or rewards anymore, yes anymore as before the latest patch I was getting full completion credit every time. I've heard that you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all the time, but not in a game where a participation and timer mechanic is present.
    I'm glad they put the effort into this being the first one I believe was something they did on the fly because of the shape of the game when they announced f2p coming and there was virtually nothing to do except the only 3 stfs lol.

This is just me but it looks like more went into the wonderland than all of DR lol. Then there is the fact in my view or my opinion rather that there should be content that we can play like the snow borg stuff that is fun and not tied to any grind. Roughly besides pvp that is what the game is missing and its not exactly a true horde since the instances are so small. This goes back to how broken code is on this game if you compare a game like NW to STO... NW virtually runs 90% less resources and its graphics are way better but STO is okay when it comes to space but comparing ground and the way it is on NW it clearly shows how they need to go in and fix stuff so it will allow them to go into things that have been limited for them thus far. Especially since in space combat even if you have the best built machine out there you are going to lag like grethor where as I've played games recently where I'm in the same area with over 1000 players and there isn't a bit of lag.

Is the tech really that jacked up? I've never played NW (nor do I want to) but I honestly had no clue the difference was so vast.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014

They kinda did. Now completion credit is only needed for the accolade.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg