test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I miss the old maintenance threads....

westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 8,479 Arc User
... where we would get things like official announcements when the end of maintenance would be delayed, etcetera.

(And yes, I'm upset; I had a very specific plan for today which included only 45 minutes available to play, and those are... gee... RIGHT NOW.... until after 10 PM. And I've got 20 hr projects and such that are already timed out, which I'm about to lose 12 hours on....)
Post edited by westmetals on

Comments

• thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    westmetals wrote: »
    ... where we would get things like official announcements when the end of maintenance would be delayed, etcetera.

(And yes, I'm upset; I had a very specific plan for today which included only 45 minutes available to play, and those are... gee... RIGHT NOW.... until after 10 PM. And I've got 20 hr projects and such that are already timed out, which I'm about to lose 12 hours on....)

Yeah ....
    We will be performing shard maintenance on December 11th from 7-9:30 AM Pacific (15:00-17:30 UTC). Please check the forums.

That's a good one, though ... check the Neverwinter Forums, maybe ... :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited December 2014

If you wan't an update on what it happening then go see this thread over at Neverwinter where their Community Manager is on top of things.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?808871-Neverwinter-Scheduled-Maintenance-12-11-at-7-AM-PST

Would be nice if OUR Community Manager was this forthcoming with updates when there is a problem, one can only hope.
  • delusorydelusory Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would say that the maintenance is not operating within normal parameters.

Whats the status of the situation? :confused:
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    From dwightmc:
    Update 1 7:11 AM PST - maintenance has begun. Patch notes added
    Update 2 7:50 AM PST - Maintenance is progressing as planned. Still looking at the same downtime although things are moving quickly so we could be up a bit sooner. We'll keep you posted.
    Update 3: 8:33 AM PST - Maintenance is ongoing, currently doing some extra maintenance on the servers so we might need to extend maintenance
    Update 4: 8:52 AM PST. Looks like we are experiencing some network issues and that's going to cause us to extend maintenance. No ETA yet, but could be extended at least an hour. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone.
    Update 5: 9:43 AM PST. Looks like there are still issues with the network so maintenance will be extended at least another 30 mins. Sorry everyone.

Damn, can we have that guy? That's some fine updating.
    edited December 2014
    Exactly my point. The launcher directs people to THIS forum. Why should I be required to check the forum for another game which I do not play, or Facebook, or Twitter, etcetera, for information which the launcher directed me HERE for?

Additionally, it was standard practice that there was a running thread during and referring to the maintenance period... until about four to six weeks ago. Announcements like this (or early completions) were posted in those threads. Hence the title of this thread.

I agree completely, its a joke the way we are treated with information (or lack of) as the case is.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Extended maintenance happens. If they're doing it, it's probably for a good reason. As for the discussion threads for maintenance, I understand the reasoning behind not allowing discussions on that thread. It makes it a mess, not to mention we have to moderate a lot when it's extended hehe.

That all said do I miss them? Ayup :(
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Extended maintenance happens. If they're doing it, it's probably for a good reason. As for the discussion threads for maintenance, I understand the reasoning behind not allowing discussions on that thread. It makes it a mess, not to mention we have to moderate a lot when it's extended hehe.

You're the best mod ever, and all the players love you! :D;)
  • psychoplattpsychoplatt Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited December 2014

u forgot to Close the thread
    nice u wasted so much time in your sig - i do not see it anyway :)
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I dont want to use twitter, facebook or instagram. I want to get the news here! :o
  • kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    if you want to get the latest info on patches you might want to try their twitter page. they twitter delays and everything right as they happen. ie https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame.
  • bellydancer42bellydancer42 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I too miss the maintenance threads. If we at least could have something like those updates in the Neverwinter forums...
    edited December 2014

Could we change :
    We will be performing shard maintenance on December 11th from 7-9:30 AM Pacific (15:00-17:30 UTC). Please check the forums.

to
    We will be performing shard maintenance on December 11th from 7-9:30 AM Pacific (15:00-17:30 UTC). Deal with it, or check Twitter, maybe.

then ... otherwise, it's quite misleading ...
  • psychoplattpsychoplatt Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kamuii2 wrote: »
    if you want to get the latest info on patches you might want to try their twitter page. they twitter delays and everything right as they happen. ie https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame.

no i won't - THIS is the official STO Forum
    nice u wasted so much time in your sig - i do not see it anyway :)
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    robyvision wrote: »
    I dont want to use twitter, facebook or instagram. I want to get the news here! :o

Indeed!
    (message to short...)
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • delusorydelusory Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    4 minutes to go?:eek:
    edited December 2014
    I can also understand not allowing discussion (some of those did get wildly off topic) but I think it is not too much to ask to want updates on the maintenance, which we are ALSO not getting.

As I put in another thread, I can think of quite a few reasons off the top of my head why Smirk isn't posting them atm. One being he's not at work :P (which I don't think he is to be honest). Also, while everyone CAN do it, posting on the forums on our phones is a pain in the tooshie. So is editing and moderating. Trust me, I've done all 3 countless times and almost threw my phone a few times as well :P

I woke up late into this or else I'd of updated as much as I could since I have today off. But since I slept in I kinda missed the whole situation so there ya be.

Now what I would see as a semi compromise? Add the twitter feed to the STO arc page right above the news feed. This way ya don't have to go to twitter to see the updates. Does that solve everything? Newp. But it's a step in the right direction.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

edited December 2014

I do not see an issue with closing the threads for discussion, this is fine by me but what we are not seeing is the thread to begin with.
    There should be a thread that is pinned and updated during the course of the maintenance if there are any problems then people will have a port of call to go to to check on the status of the game.

Its not rocket science in this instance but it would seem to me that certain people are much happier updating twitter and facebook etc (which really does not matter to a lot of folk here) over their own medium to communicate information to us.
    Even the patcher says to come to the forums O.o
    edited December 2014
    Or he could post an update while I'm typing lol - http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1323661

• longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited December 2014
    It is a bad trend to splinter communication over Reddit, Twitter, podcasts and all kinds of sources. Nothing wrong with that, but don't neglect the OFFICIAL FORUM.

It's not only Captain Smirk mixing private tweets with his offical function, Planetside 2's lead dev Matt Higby also more often tweets about his dog than about the game, just like Smirk updates about his cat rather than maintenance issues.

I wish there would be more separation between private and official accounts. And official communication limited to those and the forum and not mixed with private stuff.

But well, it's not only STO's CM who does this. But Cryptic/PWE's own Neverwinter CMs show they can do better if they want.
  • kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    also comparing the devs of neverwinter with the devs here is incorrect. they are 2 separate teams. just cause neverwinter has something doesnt mean it happens here.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm trying to see how many times I can listen to this over and over, personally...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY
  • grapestarburstgrapestarburst Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Figures its this update too. I'm usually not able to play until the evening, but I'm stuck at home all day today with nothing better to do than watch the snow fall.
  • zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I guess the question is why does our community manager delay getting updates to us? Neverwinter and even the STO Twitter page had this info about the delay approx. 15 to 20 minutes before the STO forums had it.

Are we really just red-headed step-children here or what?

Zeus
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am beginning to think the devs grinded a little too much Argala in a month to remember to post here. :P
    edited December 2014
    I'm trying to see how many times I can listen to this over and over, personally...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

While I do enjoy some Toto from time to time...why are you doing this?

edited December 2014
    kamuii2 wrote: »
    also comparing the devs of neverwinter with the devs here is incorrect. they are 2 separate teams. just cause neverwinter has something doesnt mean it happens here.

Noone is comparing ... it's the SAME Maintenance ... and yeah that's exactly what it means ...