test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GFX issue with latest AMD driver.

captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Graphical and Sound Issues
The latest AMD driver seems to have brought with it a recurrence of an old issue in STO. Basically, there are big black blocks everywhere, flickering in and out as you move the camera.

This is, as I recall, the very same issue that afflicted the 12.2 version of those drivers and is mentioned in one of the stickies above.
I need a beer.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yep. I have this problem too.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Turn off AntiAliasing in the game settings and force it through the Catalyst Control Center.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    sovergeinsovergein Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Today i instaled new AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega driver and i have no problems on this new version driver. I use DDU unistaller to remove old driver. My graphic card is Gigabyte R9 270x.
    Old driver Catalyst 14.11.2 Beta - FPS in STO - 40-60fps. Now my fps increased to 60-80. Sorry for my bad english.
  • Options
    amarai38amarai38 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Turn off AntiAliasing in the game settings and force it through the Catalyst Control Center.

Yup this is what I did and fixed the issue. If you do not want AntiAliasing forced to run all the time, just set it up to override when you run STO.
  • Options
    nikolaykuznetsovnikolaykuznetsov Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Disabling MSAA solved screen artifact issue and made the graphics look worse !
    Max. One-Hit: 114,966 (Quantum Torpedo - Salvo II (Federation Typhoon Class Battleship))
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I will try to force AA through Catalyst. Thanks guys, turning it off in-game solved the issue.
  • Options
    spotter5spotter5 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    same problem here, will try turmning off AA. hope this will get patch soon :)
  • Options
    razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have the same problem ever since I installed the new driver aswell AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Graphic Card. I keep getting graphical flickering and glitching everywhere no matter where I do or what i do. I tried resetting settings etc cleared caches temp files what not but nothing works. Need help thanks
    "My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ya, just turn off "screen-space ambient occlusion" in graphics tab.
  • Options
    sgtkokkensgtkokken Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    yup, bugged gfx confirmed, rolled back to previous driver solved the issue :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LLAP
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Rolling back was a pain, but seems to have fixed it.
    Turning off SSAO however, didn't.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    awdterrorawdterror Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I found that selecting DirectX9ex solved the problem while still being able to use MSAA. I noticed no decrease in FPS or performance doing this.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sgtkokken wrote: »
    yup, bugged gfx confirmed, rolled back to previous driver solved the issue :o

That's what solved it for me also. Will leave ith there until the next iteration of the Radeon driver. There was no huge difference in the graphics that I could see anyway.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    is it fixed at all by latest patch? I tried to install the new driver twice a couple days ago. Rolling back of course helped, but it be nice that I could use the new driver since it helps some of my other games.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    scarling wrote: »
    is it fixed at all by latest patch? I tried to install the new driver twice a couple days ago. Rolling back of course helped, but it be nice that I could use the new driver since it helps some of my other games.

Nope, not as far as I can tell.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Rolling back was a pain, but seems to have fixed it.
    Turning off SSAO however, didn't.

If the above doesn't work for you, disable AA in the game options and force it through the CCC.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    rais3dfist1rais3dfist1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have a AMD Card too. But have no probs with the Driver.

Merry Christmas to all
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    If the above doesn't work for you, disable AA in the game options and force it through the CCC.

Re-read the post lol :P
    I basically had to roll back. Turning off SSAO didn't work and neither did turning off AA. Ended up having to roll back. :(
    I need a beer.

• Options
    flexlex12flexlex12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Turning off MSAA in-game has helped and there are no more graphical glitches. Although i can't seem to force it through catalyst. Anyone got a tipp on forcing it? :)
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    turning off MSAA helped, but now the game looks horrible with jagged edges everywhere. Please Fix!