test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

KDF Engine Glow Glitch

hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Graphical and Sound Issues
I've encountered an issue with the default red-pink glow of certain KDF engines, notably my new Mat'Ha raptor, which I will attempt to summarize in this post and the accompanying Imgur album:

Fig. 1 through 19

The issue only seems to occur in "local" space - around stations, in battle, etc. - not in sector space, or in windows like the ship customization tailor or the "paper doll" status and gear display. It takes the form of a shadowing or banding effect, which I suspect is meant to imitate the appearance of glass (particularly in how it shifts based on viewing angle), but ends up significantly darkening the parts in question. It is present in some materials/textures, but not others.

In my case, the trigger seemed to be installing a different engine (Adapted KHG) and then thinking better of it and going back to what I was using before (Assimilated Borg, with the usual visuals disabled, to give the default appearance). The shadows first appeared then, and no amount of reloading, relogging, visits to the tailor, or verifying my client have been able to make them go away.

I could probably work around the issue by changing to a material/texture that does not (currently) display it, like the "Upgrade" material - my second choice for this ship - but even if I end up doing so, I thought I should report this for the benefit of everyone who is or might be afflicted by it.... which may be a rather large group, since the affected texture seems to be the KDF default(s).

(For reference, my graphical settings are the final image in the attached album. If there are other questions, I will do my best to answer them.)