Install Arc
Options

My letter to CBS

1235»

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    CBS receives thousands of emails, and hundreds of hand-written letters about Star Trek each week. They range for 'why can't I watch star trek [insert location here]', to absolue hate mail about some perceived inaccuracy, somewhere.

It's not improbable that someone within the company will read it, but I doubt it will impact the relationship with CBS - especially if the IP license is profitable.

Add to that the license is 5 years old and well-established.

Methinks - and I hope - that it means we will be playing for many years to come.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax.
    Yeah, reading the mail is what interns are for. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "CBS, surely you care about the concept of integrity and quality of your intellectual properties!"

"Have you SEEN the newest episodes of Two and a Half Men?"

The only thing I watch on CBS is 2 Broke Girls.

And we all know there are only two reasons to watch 2 Broke Girls.

:D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Folks, as tempting as it is to let this thread go off the rails...

Please stay on topic. We don't need Yet Another Lockbox Rant or a debate about gambling. That ship sailed a Lonngg time ago.

You mean that you,and anyone profiting from these scam boxes,just put their fingers in their ears and say: 'Lalalalalalala....can't heeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr you!!!!'

Yes,very mature indeed....and helpful,don't forget helpful.:rolleyes:

Say what you will about Darramouss....but we all can relate to the frustration behind his letter,the frustration brought to us by Cryptic with this wreck of an expansion,the frustration brought to us by PWE's incessant greed.

Darramouss,the only thing Cryptic,PWE and CBS respond to is money....but we shouldn't forget that it is our money they are after...OUR MONEY. Yes,that's right,we hold the real power here,not Cryptic and not PWE.Some will argue that you don't matter,the whales will keep the game going...the truth is that if the F2P people leave,Cryptic will have an empty game and the whales will have no one to play with....and no reason to spend money on it.

And if the game dies because Cryptic and PWE are unwilling to change.....than the game is not worth saving.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You mean that you,and anyone profiting from these scam boxes,just put their fingers in their ears and say: 'Lalalalalalala....can't heeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr you!!!!'

Say what you will about Darramouss....but we all can relate to the frustration behind his letter,the frustration brought to us by Cryptic with this wreck of an expansion,the frustration brought to us by PWE's incessant greed.

Darramouss,the only thing Cryptic,PWE and CBS respond to is money....but we shouldn't forget that it is our money they are after...OUR MONEY. Yes,that's right,we hold the real power here,not Cryptic and not PWE.Some will argue that you don't matter,the whales will keep the game going...the truth is that if the F2P people leave,Cryptic will have an empty game and the whales will have no one to play with....and no reason to spend money on it.

And if the game dies because Cryptic and PWE are unwilling to change.....than the game is not worth saving.

To quote some random on the internet, in regards to how to respond to feedback like this:
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Threads like this just reinforce the negative opinion of the forums as something not to be taken seriously.

Asking to have the IP yanked so one can fully enjoy Star Trek on Netflix and posting it on the developers' forums is tantamount to a hissy fit. Enlisting others to join in said hissy fit as if it's their civic duty? :rolleyes:

On the other hand, some of the responses have been less than civil. So we reinforce a negative stereotype that we're all trolls and flamers. By definition, not to be taken seriously. No Dev is going to respond to it, ever.

I could (and probably should) close the thread, at which point a bunch of people start screaming about censorship and cover-ups as if Cryptic actually felt threatened by this. But the tone of the thread is going to get it closed sooner or later when people start escalating the level of nasty trying to out-do each other. It's happening already.

It's all lose-lose where threads like this are concerned, in my opinion. If you have a beef with the game, say so -- constructively. There are other threads that are at least making the attempt to do so.

The truly said part is, civil or no, the OP's letter was a joke. Not because he wasn't being serious, but simply because no one at CBS is ever going to read it. Nobody is going to walk into the CEO's office, saying "Sir, we have a concerned fan who thinks Roddenberry's ideals are not properly portrayed by Cryptic. I think we need to address this." Fans are considered creepy nerds, and his letter won't make it past the first recycle bin in view. Sad, but true.

So, I am both embarrassed for the OP, as I admire his willingness to stand up for what he believes in.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Fans are considered creepy nerds

Especially Star Trek fans.

Hence why the William Shatner SNL Star Trek sketch is considered the most poignant of all Trekkie portrayals in pop culture.

Well, that and this this hilarious exchange between two fandoms that I could TOTALLY see happening in real life.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies .
    ~Bluegeek

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Dear CBS

I am contacting you on behalf of the player base of STO or Star Trek Online\
    we would like to formally ask you to withdraw the IP for the star trek franchise from PWE Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic studios on the folling counts.

1) Noodles

2) Cheezeburgers we cant haz them

3) Shenanigans and shenanigan type products

4) Murple balpple dinkity dink

And many other nonsensicle reason i am not disclosing because i think weve made our point
    like our finger it points.

Thank you sincerley

A random Romulan in a random universe of randomness :D
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Especially Star Trek fans.

Hence why the William Shatner SNL Star Trek sketch is considered the most poignant of all Trekkie portrayals in pop culture.

Well, that and this this hilarious exchange between two fandoms that I could TOTALLY see happening in real life.

I consider this the better exchange of the two https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQj_bwMf7DM
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    To the OP
    great letter and meaningful to what sto should be or aim to become. Dont get discouraged by some of the idiots on this forum. Once again great stuff.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    doyouwdoyouw Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    Or worse yet...STO 2 could come out and they could base it off of JJ Trek. /gasps

indeed... although at that point we would all be aware we'd be playing a dumb space Call of duty / space TRIBBLE lemings or whatever trash it would turned into BEFORE buying it or subscribing ;)

damn, now I realy miss the Lemings, was more fun than STO !!!
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG
    "I am FLATULUS of Borg, Resistance if Futile! Prepare to pull my finger!"

cube.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ok firstly, PEOPLE STILL ENJOY THE GAME!!!! Newcomers like myself do not know of the "evils" that Cryptic has inflicted on the game, and some of the older players who do DON'T CARE. And (dare I say it) I actually LIKE Delta Rising. Yeah, I said it. I realize there have been issues with the release and the mechanics of the game, but I, unlike most people in the forums, actually play the game for the story content. And while I have heard a great deal about the mechanical problems with the game, I rarely hear anything negative about the story content, and when I do, it is from purists who don't like the JJ Abrams movies, which I don't see any problems with (not referring to it as JJ Trek because it's as canon as the rest of the franchise, get over it).

I guess I should now brace for the hate of a thousand rabid fans, huh?

::END TRANSMISSION::

Path to 2409 - LORE -

V.24.3 Bis :

Why did the Komunity didnt belived you and started hating/laughing at you?

1) You were leading a resistance movement toward recent DR

2) You are war criminal

3) You are Dev in disguise

and at that very moment DATA started seeing that damn number 3 everywhere ;)
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG

cube.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    To the OP
    great letter and meaningful to what sto should be or aim to become.
    STO should aim to become no longer in existence, in the vague hope that someone else might then make a different Star Trek game???

Did you read the post, or are you just blindly agreeing with anything critical of STO as it stands?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    doyouw wrote: »
    Path to 2409 - LORE -

V.24.3 Bis :

Why did the Komunity didnt belived you and started hating/laughing at you?

1) You were leading a resistance movement toward recent DR

2) You are war criminal

3) You are Dev in disguise

and at that very moment DATA started seeing that damn number 3 everywhere ;)
    I'm sorry, Captain, but the universal translator isn't making any headway with this. Perhaps it's an encoded language, like that of the Tamaranians.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm sorry, Captain, but the universal translator isn't making any headway with this. Perhaps it's an encoded language, like that of the Tamaranians.

let me guess,
    you 've never been talking to Commander Viala at Starfleet Academy in STO or/and you haven't watched all or any TNG
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG

cube.jpg
This discussion has been closed.