Install Arc
Options

My letter to CBS

Comments

• Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    TRIBBLE written missives?! That level of 'dissatisfied expression' takes real commitment, not to mention, the diet to produce something containing both, tactile and cohesive properties (smearing is for amateurs and the criminally insane). In this day and age, wouldn't it just be easier to write a script that auto sends emails on a bi-weekly basis, maybe something with a selection of randomly generated expletives here and there?

What have I ever done to you ?! That post almost made me fall off my chair with laughter. :mad::D

And a Thanks to the OP is in order too. He has reminded me why the Apocalypse coming soon is not so bad after all. :o
  • Options
    thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thank you for trying to get something gone that I actually still enjoy and have invested money into that I still want to get out of it by playing, you selfish prick.

My thoughts exactly. Though I disagree with a lot of what has been done with Delta Rising, I'm still playing the game and I still have A LOT of real money in it, so the last thing I want is it to go away.

I've been here since beta
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Threads like this just reinforce the negative opinion of the forums as something not to be taken seriously.

Asking to have the IP yanked so one can fully enjoy Star Trek on Netflix and posting it on the developers' forums is tantamount to a hissy fit. Enlisting others to join in said hissy fit as if it's their civic duty? :rolleyes:

On the other hand, some of the responses have been less than civil. So we reinforce a negative stereotype that we're all trolls and flamers. By definition, not to be taken seriously. No Dev is going to respond to it, ever.

I could (and probably should) close the thread, at which point a bunch of people start screaming about censorship and cover-ups as if Cryptic actually felt threatened by this. But the tone of the thread is going to get it closed sooner or later when people start escalating the level of nasty trying to out-do each other. It's happening already.

It's all lose-lose where threads like this are concerned, in my opinion. If you have a beef with the game, say so -- constructively. There are other threads that are at least making the attempt to do so.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    IP holders do indeed have enough say to veto things.

FASA was forced to shut down their Star Trek game when the IP license was revoked because FASA wanted to take the game in one direction and The Next Generation was taking trek in another direction.

Your sig makes me sad. I love the hell out of COH. I wish it was still around.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You really should shut it down Bluegeek...
    Just sayin. Poor op is taking a beating.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You really should shut it down Bluegeek...
    Just sayin. Poor op is taking a beating.

OP should have known better than to hang his wiener in a tank filled with Piranhas especially with the whiny attitude displayed in the OP.

From someone who has been a star trek fan for 35 years one would expect more maturity and better judgement.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ummax wrote: »
    I am pretty sure this thread is on a forum and its a complaint and its an "I quit" thread all rolled into one lol. I dont know how many are making fun of him I personally dont like seeing people asking for a product to be discontinued on their say so which is presumptuous to boot and not particularly contrstructive at all.

constructive is saying "I would have used this product but stopped because.." and then a list and leave it there. However once you start with the demands and such its no longer constructive. He also is not accurate in his account of the game and wildly exaggerates about lack of cannon ships. Then he presumes to decide what is cannon and what is not cannon with regards to CBS, IP and has forgotten that in the end Cannon is often dictated by the users and many many fan concepts end up being incorporated into future items and shows. He also has forgotten that CBS is the one that decides what can go into this game and not. So basically he is insulting the IP owner as well.

This is also not particularly constructive however the thing that seals it is his demand that they discontinue to product which is well yeah presumptuous and usually ends in the complaint being filed in the circular trash can cause it cost them like money to produce it and market it and stuff..

Ummax,

Nicely stated and i completely agree with your position and points. It is also presumptuous to assume as you stated that CBS would do anything anyways as to or in regards to his complaint. As i stated before, even modding groups of past titles had to get permission to use certain things and so it is a side that others just might not think about. I to have my issues, but Cryptic pays CBS the IP to use and produce this game, they wont take it away like this individual is trying to imply.
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Threads like this just reinforce the negative opinion of the forums as something not to be taken seriously.

Asking to have the IP yanked so one can fully enjoy Star Trek on Netflix and posting it on the developers' forums is tantamount to a hissy fit. Enlisting others to join in said hissy fit as if it's their civic duty? :rolleyes:

On the other hand, some of the responses have been less than civil. So we reinforce a negative stereotype that we're all trolls and flamers. By definition, not to be taken seriously. No Dev is going to respond to it, ever.

I could (and probably should) close the thread, at which point a bunch of people start screaming about censorship and cover-ups as if Cryptic actually felt threatened by this. But the tone of the thread is going to get it closed sooner or later when people start escalating the level of nasty trying to out-do each other. It's happening already.

It's all lose-lose where threads like this are concerned, in my opinion. If you have a beef with the game, say so -- constructively. There are other threads that are at least making the attempt to do so.

Bluegeek,

I understand your position to simply wanting to close the thread and as you said it could and perhaps will create a bigger problem. In this situation, letting or allowing those to vent, let them as long as it is not hurting the rules/forums. But, on the other hand you do have a job to do. I appreciate the many threads that are very constructive, but these forums have never been what they should be but that is the nature of the beast of running forums.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    actually lockbox's should be banned... it is gambling and online gambling is illegal in the US.

they get around this by not using real money... you use keys and also putting in lobbi in every box :p

If they put a lockbox ship on the c-store and make it a SINGLE CHARACTER unlock for $25 (T5) to $30 (T6)... vs a $1 key for a chance... which would you buy?

I would imagine that the key sales would plummet to next to a fraction of what it is.
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    actually lockbox's should be banned... it is gambling and online gambling is illegal in the US.

they get around that with a few things firstly you dont have to pay money to unlock the box you can purchase the keys ingame for EC. Being a cheap so and so this is what I do even though I have a sub with a stipend I never use those zens for such things.

the other is the guarantee of lobi crystals which can be used in a store to purchase things. The rest is "extra prize" but you always get 4 lobi and can get more but those lobi are spendable inside the game for stuff.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited December 2014

they get around this by not using real money... you use keys and also putting in lobbi in every box :p

If they put a lockbox ship on the c-store and make it a SINGLE CHARACTER unlock for $25 (T5) to $30 (T6)... vs a $1 key for a chance... which would you buy?

I would imagine that the key sales would plummet to next to a fraction of what it is.

You buy the lobi in each box, noting more or less.. No gambling.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Actually lockboxes are not gambling, the content of what happens in STO is excluded under 31 USC 5362 (1)(E)(viii)... they are not "getting around the law" they are operating within the ****ing law... the law is what defines something as illegal. When it excludes it, it is not illegal.
  • Options
    solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ...if someone has a loss of reality to make a videogame sooo important to him that it nearly devastates his joy for life :rolleyes: then it is time to seek for help.

I agree, there is plenty to do outside the confines of the proverbial basement, all one has to do is come up for air and look around! :eek: I know, it's a hard thing to do for some, but it's doable.
  • Options
    haskanaelevahaskanaeleva Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »

you make good points, I like.
  • Options
    solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    You buy the lobi in each box, noting more or less.. No gambling.

It's a nice loophole for those chance-cubes.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ummax wrote: »
    they get around that with a few things firstly you dont have to pay money to unlock the box you can purchase the keys ingame for EC. Being a cheap so and so this is what I do even though I have a sub with a stipend I never use those zens for such things.

the other is the guarantee of lobi crystals which can be used in a store to purchase things. The rest is "extra prize" but you always get 4 lobi and can get more but those lobi are spendable inside the game for stuff.

Keys someone bought with Zen... Zen someone bought with real money.

Unless you can prove all the keys are not bought with real money.

End of the day... every key you see on the exchange was bought with Zen. And virtually every Zen you see on the dil exchange was purchased with real world money.

putting layers between transactions should not make it legal...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It's a nice loophole for those chance-cubes.

It's not a loophole..... a loophole is something which allowed due to lack of provision or ambiguity which is used to circumvent the intent of the law.... the manner in which lockboxes operate are specifically excluded by actual text in the actual law. It's not ambiguous, it's not due to lack of provision and it's not a violation of intent(as it is specifically and directly allowed by the actual text of the law)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Actually lockboxes are not gambling, the content of what happens in STO is excluded under 31 USC 5362 (1)(E)(viii)... they are not "getting around the law" they are operating within the ****ing law... the law is what defines something as illegal. When it excludes it, it is not illegal.

If your gonna quote a law you might as well post it...

(1) Bet or wager.— The term “bet or wager”—
    (E) does not include—
    (viii) participation in any game or contest in which participants do not stake or risk anything of value other than—

You didnt list what the subsection of this is for so I'll list both.

(I) personal efforts of the participants in playing the game or contest or obtaining access to the Internet; or
    (II) points or credits that the sponsor of the game or contest provides to participants free of charge and that can be used or redeemed only for participation in games or contests offered by the sponsor; or

Keys are not FREE of CHARGE.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    If your gonna quote a law you might as well post it...

(1) Bet or wager.— The term “bet or wager”—
    (E) does not include—
    (viii) participation in any game or contest in which participants do not stake or risk anything of value other than—

You didnt list what the subsection of this is for so I'll list both.

(I) personal efforts of the participants in playing the game or contest or obtaining access to the Internet; or
    (II) points or credits that the sponsor of the game or contest provides to participants free of charge and that can be used or redeemed only for participation in games or contests offered by the sponsor; or

Keys are not FREE of CHARGE.

Keys are free of charge. It requires no money to get them.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Keys are free of charge. It requires no money to get them.

Cool send me 50 of em since they are free of charge....
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Pseudo-intellectual bores, deprived of their usual audience in ESD's zone chat, have broken free of the game and popped onto a thread started by a complete lunatic. Behold their copy & paste skills and wikipedia-quoting awesomeness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Folks, as tempting as it is to let this thread go off the rails...

Please stay on topic. We don't need Yet Another Lockbox Rant or a debate about gambling. That ship sailed a Lonngg time ago.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    IMHO this game has gone down paths it never should have and has turned in to something it never should have. I'm pretty sure that there will be enough players to keep it going for a while, however in that time you can be sure that PWE/Cryptic will continue to do to the game what the Borg do to their victims.

In my humble opinion this game needs to end so that another may spring up in its place. The only way that will happen in the near future is if CBS steps in. Hence my letter to CBS this morning.

I know many of you will disagree with my stance, however the beauty of a forum is that it's our place to express out thoughts and opinions. If you disagree with my opinion, fear not, I will understand and respect it. If you do feel the same way then I ask you too to write to CBS.

Most likely CBS will ignore my letter but as far as I'm concerned it's better to have written it and have it ignored than to just tolerate this mockery without doing anything.

To whom it may concern.

I am writing to you today regarding the licencing of the Star Trek IP to Perfect World/Cryptic studios for the purposes of the Star Trek Online game.

First let me preface this email by saying that I’m a huge fan of the Star Trek IP. As a young boy in Australia I must say that I discovered Star Trek at a very young age by accident. I discovered it whilst channel surfing on the sofa during a bout of illness. I found it to be awe inspiring and I became hooked by the first episode I saw, being “Wolf in the Fold”. From then on in I would set an alarm clock every Saturday to ensure that I didn’t miss an episode.

When The Next Generation was released it felt like my birthday and Christmas, all rolled in to one. I had seen all of the Original Series episodes many times over and was now being given the opportunity to experience Gene Roddenberry’s vision of a better tomorrow again. Each subsequent series continued to fan my passion for this majestic IP.

Upon moving to the United States 4 years ago I discovered Netflix. To me this was heaven as I now had every episode of Star Trek on demand. My watching multiple episodes per week was something that caused my wife a lot of frustration but she since learned to accept it and has since started to enjoy watching!

I was immensely excited when I discovered Star Trek Online. Not only was I being given the opportunity to explore the Star Trek IP, I would be able to do it as the captain of my own ship. I started playing the game and spent quite a lot of time on it. Admittedly, more than a person really should!! I understood that a game could never really emulate the ideologies and concepts that the series did but in the absence of any new Star Trek TV series it did nicely.

Unfortunately the game has since begun a slow progression away from the ideologies and principles of the IP. Over the past 4 years I have noticed the game degenerate to the point where you no longer explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, nor do you boldly go where no one has gone before.

Exploration and diplomacy have fallen by the wayside in place of a system where fighting and combat is the end-all and be-all of the game. You no longer travel to far away destinations. You click a button and you’re there. When you get there you kill things. All of the space in between worlds has been rendered useless, taking away the exploratory feel that all of the series gave us.

The game has now devolved to the point of being a money-grubbing exercise. Instead of evolving and developing the game in such a way that continually adds to a richer experience, PWE/Cryptic have created a monster where every new release makes everything before it completely irrelevant, including any content or material that you’ve paid for in the past. Iconic starships like the Galaxy class and Nebula class are pointless as new alien ships are created all for the purposes of sales. In fact, many times I notice the complete lack of any Federation ships as everybody flies fictional non-canon ships which essentially is like taking the Federation out of a Star Trek game!!

Most disappointing of all is that there is even a system where a person buys “keys” using real life money. These keys are used to open “boxes”, boxes that contain random, mostly useless items with the exception of extremely rare (non-canon) ships. People spend incredible amounts of money to obtain these ships, essentially creating an online gambling system. Associating the Star Trek IP with online gambling is deplorable.

As I mentioned earlier, I used to watch many episodes per week on Netflix. That has changed recently. This game has put such a sour taste in my mouth that I have watched less and less episodes on Netflix. Sure, I could just stop playing the game but as a diehard fan of the Star Trek IP it’s hard to just cease the only current and interactive source of the Star Trek IP I have.

CBS, I have been a fan of Star Trek for 35 years now. I love the universe that Gene Roddenberry created. I find it to be inspiring, engaging and full of wonderment. That universe is being tarnished by this game. I implore you to not renew the contacts with PWE/Cryptic when the times comes around next. I implore you to allow this broken mockery of Star Trek to end, so that another company may try their hand at creating a universe rich and diverse, a universe like the one Gene Roddenberry created. It’s time to give someone else a turn.

Regards,

@Darramouss (I used my real name in the real letter. Don't want to appear to be weird or anything.)

tl;dr, cbs wont takes a knats interest in your open letter, pwe wont want to deliver it and cryptic is wrapped up in their own affairs like usual to notice what the real world is and how they have removed themselves from it, thats just the way it is.

if you want to go for an open letter then deliver it to cbs themselves instead of wasting time on here, a receptive audience wont help and this thread about your entitlement claim is just a waste in itself.

you have a choice of 3 before you, play, quit or pipe down.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tejanahawktejanahawk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The simple solution is simply to not take STO seriously. I don't. I enjoy it for a few weeks/month to play new content, then take 5-6months off and come back for new content. It is simply a place for cheap entertainment with some Star Trek window dressing. It is not a Star Trek 'life' simulator.

It would be silly to expect action gamers would want this game to have intellectual ingame discussions with their bridge officers on some ethical dilemma that is really a metaphor for exploring our existance...ie as seen in the shows. Gamers like blowing stuff up, and thats fine, thats what action games are for.

Similarly to Star Trek, if there was an MMO for Hamlet, it would be nothing but swordplay involving characters from the story...it wouldn't be a deep introspective on the human condition. Any attempt to bring such original story content to the game would be deemed 'boring' and unprofitable by it's franchise license holder.

Sure, it would be nice if there was a little more balance/variety in terms of 'trek activities' you can do in the game, as fighting the same mobs over and over and over and over and over again is just as boring as scanning every particle in space. But there isn't, its mostly flinging Harry Potter tricks at bad guys between pew pew pew volleys. That's what makes them money these days. It's too bad, because there have been some fantastic Star Trek games, that while still combat heavy, conveyed a better sense of being 'there''...ie Bridge Commander and Elite Force...IMHO. STBC would probably be considered too 'talky' and boring today.

I think there is still potential for good Trek games. Star Citizen has great promise...while not a Trek game per say, it is supposed to have great modding potential and some have suggested eventual room for 'trek' there. The idea of being a 'citizen' in the Star Trek IP, finding your own glory or destiny is intriguing.

I find this whole bit pretty funny actually, as the STO storylines are about as intricate as those found in 'adult' films...and like those films, you have little bits of 'story' here and there broken up by lots of repetitive 'action'. If you have a twisted sense of humor like me and you want a chuckle, que bow wow chika wow appropriate music whenever combat starts, because its pretty much the same thing in some 'Carlin-ian'' sense. STO is over the top and campy...just roll with it and entertain yourself. Don't expect moral lessons or deep conversations with enlightened races like the Organians or the Travellers.

One can make the case that STO has simply followed the progression of the franchise from deep politico/social commentary TV show cleverly disguised as 'Sci Fi', to a summer popcorn action flick...thats where the money is, and thats where STO will be. Don't worry, I am not one of those uptight 'canon this/that' trekkie that thinks 'Trek' can only be one way. I believe in the unlimited universe that GR created, with unlimited possibilities...aka IDIC. Q and I would agree that since everything and anything is possible in trek, it is therefore 'canon':D Crpytic....if you could put a Flying Winnebago floating around inside ESD...that would be awesome...may the schwartz be with you in creating STO 2...the search for more money.

If you want to find good 'Trek' in STO...there are some very nice foundry missions done by some very talented folks, which are very 'Trek' themed.

Cheers
    TJ
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    CBS receives thousands of emails, and hundreds of hand-written letters about Star Trek each week. They range for 'why can't I watch star trek [insert location here]', to absolue hate mail about some perceived inaccuracy, somewhere.

It's not improbable that someone within the company will read it, but I doubt it will impact the relationship with CBS - especially if the IP license is profitable.

Add to that the license is 5 years old and well-established.

Methinks - and I hope - that it means we will be playing for many years to come.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Annnnd thanks to the forumites my evening had a good laugh as well.

The forumites are like my Ex's, I hate their guts, but I have a soft spot in my heart somewhere for them and remember why I liked them at one point. :P
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think the real problem is some people are taking all of this, both this game and the fictional universe it's based on, far too seriously.
    Certainly Star Trek espouses some high ideals that many have drawn inspiration from, but at some point you have to set a limit at where you are going to let a work of fiction influence your life.
    People do have legitimate concerns about the game that do need to be addressed, but arbitrarily shutting down the game is not a solution, not only would it be a loss for this community and lost profits for CBS, there is no guarantee that anyone would ever risk developing another MMO based on this dated IP, it's almost certain there never be another Star Trek MMO.
    That said, I think STO still has a long life ahead of it, but I suspect there may be a shakeup along the way here and there, ultimately if the fallout from DR is bad enough someone is going to have to take a fall and it won't be a nameless nobody on the bottom of the food chain.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    garaks31 wrote: »
    cryptic does listen but changes take time ending the game is not the solution

ding ding ding

lets say they decide TODAY that they want to make the Pumpkin class battlecruiser. Do you know how long it's going to be before we see the Pumpkin? 6 months. MINIMUM.

all you obama I want it NOW babies better get a grip. that isn't the way things work
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This made me laugh.

Yeah there was NEVER any gambling associated with Star Trek.

No one ever bet quatloos on a fight

No one ever played poker.

No one played dabo.

No one ever bet on a game of darts

I forget was there betting on that shuttle race in the Delta Quadrant?

Anything else I'm forgetting? :P

Don't forget about The Gamesters of Triskelion, Kirk and crew were saved by a wager.
    Joined August 2009
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    What have I ever done to you ?! That post almost made me fall off my chair with laughter. :mad::D

And a Thanks to the OP is in order too. He has reminded me why the Apocalypse coming soon is not so bad after all. :o

lol, I had so much fun writing that reply, it was 1 of those 'just rolled of the keyboard moments' glad you got a giggle out of it :)
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Don't forget about The Gamesters of Triskelion, Kirk and crew were saved by a wager.
    That would be the quatloos bet on a fight.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
This discussion has been closed.