test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Monthly Screenshot Contest: December - Submit Yours Now!

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
edited February 2015 in The Art of Star Trek Online
Starting December 1st, 2014, we begin our next Screenshot Contest for the month of December! This thread will remain open until the contest entry phase closes on December 31st, on New Years Eve!

This month we have a very special theme for the beginning of the fan favorite Q's Winter Wonderland Event. Our theme will be reward a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner! Each user may submit ONE ENTRY. Users who post multiple entries need to define which image is for the entry and which are simply to show off to other users.

December's Theme: Winter Holiday Celebrations!

Q is back and he brings us more Winter fun this year, with new snowmen, new weapons, new ships and more. This month's challenge is to capture your captains and crew as they enjoy the festivities of the Terran winter season. Grab some images of yourself in your best winter gear, fighting snowmen or stuffing your face with pie! But don't stop at Earth! You can show us imagery from any corner of the galaxy using your frosted boots and your winter Tribbles that will make it snow anywhere while this event is live. I have seen plenty of Santa Tellarites in the past to know how creative you can get. Maybe it's Winter on Risa? Maybe the Vulcans will finally get some joy this season, and the Romulans lumps of coal? Show us what visuals you can create this season as this contest will last all month long. Don't forget to take a selfie with Q! Let your imaginations fly this month, and add your own twists of Trek Holiday Lore to the STO universe!

IMPORTANT NOTE

Make sure your pictures are created using the method described below as I need the images to be a certain size in order to make good quality wallpapers for the winner. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SIZE 1920x1200 OR LARGER.

Prizes!

1st Prize = 1500 ZEN + Your screenshot gets made into an Official STO Wallpaper!

2nd Prize = 1000 ZEN

3rd Prize = 500 ZEN

These screenshots can be your chance to showcase your skills as a designer with custom UI placement, special effects, photography style filters or anything you can produce to wow the team.

All entries should be placed in this thread. Any posts not containing an entry, or not staying within these rules will be removed at the end of the contest to leave only the individual entries.

Basic Rules:
  • All Entries must be 1920x1200 minimum size. This is to maintain the Pixel Aspect Ratio need for our staff to convert these into the 4 wallpaper sizes we upload to the Arc Media Gallery. We can make a special custom size for our winners if your screen resolution is a different size, but this will only be done by the request of the user who submits their image.
  • Images not meeting the minimum size will not qualify for the grand prize wallpaper as we cannot convert your entry if the Pixel Aspect Ratio is not compatible.
  • One entry per month per forum user. If your image doesn't win, you are welcome to resubmit it the following month as your one entry.
  • All entry images must be submitted in JPEG form. Layered PSDs will be excepted if you win the 1st prize place so that we can create the accompanying wallpaper properly. If you wish to create a custom border or UI interface, etc., you will have to bake it into the image when saving it as JPEG, but save the PSD for us later if needed.
  • All submitted images must be made of only material from Star Trek Online.
    • No images containing visual material from the TV/Movies, outside artwork or any licensed material from any other source will be excepted.
    • No custom 3D models or textures can be used in this contest. The image must contain in-game material.
  • Keep it classy Star Trek fans.

Instructions on How To Create A Screenshot & Insert It Here:

• All images must measure 1920x1200 for submission or larger.
  • Images should be of high resolution quality. Recommended method:
    • Type "/renderscale 2" into your chat window before taking your image
    • Type "/screenshot" to take image
    • This will create a large TGA file in the directory listed below that can be converted via Photoshop to 1920x1200.
    • If you wish to utilize another method like "Print Screen" you will want to turn off your HUD visuals by hitting Shift +F12
    • (you will find your images in C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\screenshots on most PC computers)

Good luck to everyone who enters!

NOTE:The above rules and conditions are subject to change.

~CaptainSmirk

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Starting December 1st, 2014, we begin our next Screenshot Contest for the month of December!

October's Theme: Winter Holiday Celebrations!

Ahem, what month was it again? :D

Otherwise looking forward to entries.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    How about you run a raw screenshot contest for once? Not to mention, watch out for people who keep using multiple accounts to post multiple entries.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Ahem, what month was it again? :D

Otherwise looking forward to entries.

Argh! You got me! :P

ashkrik23 wrote: »
    How about you run a raw screenshot contest for once? Not to mention, watch out for people who keep using multiple accounts to post multiple entries.

I could offer that as a mini-contest in the main one, but it would be very hard to weed out any entries that claim to not have any Photoshoping or editing at all, but that really do.

Let me think about that tomorrow and I will see what I can add that has any chance of working.

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    picard9832picard9832 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I could offer that as a mini-contest in the main one, but it would be very hard to weed out any entries that claim to not have any Photoshoping or editing at all, but that really do.

Let me think about that tomorrow and I will see what I can add that has any chance of working.

~CaptainSmirk
    [/QUOTE]

Respectively CaptainSmirk, you can do that sometime (like a week or more) after this contest.
  • Options
    ashman7286ashman7286 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    1920x1200???

Well that rules out anyone entering with a 1920x1080 monitor then doesn't it. Way to go Cryptic, well thought out as always.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014

~CaptainSmirk

A big problem I have with the screenshot contest is that you require photoshop. That's not a free software, as far as I know.

If someone can do something with Gimp or Paint.NET or Windows paint or just a naked screenshot that stands up to photoshopped picture, why not let him compete? Is the layered PSD that important for a community contest?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you wish to utilize another method like "Print Screen" you will want to turn off your HUD visuals by hitting Shift +F12
    Just to make something clear, you actually DO NOT need to turn off the HUD to get a HUD-free screenshot with Print-screen as it automatically removes the HUD from the saved picture.

Using Shift+F12 is only to see what it'd look like without the HUD, so if you already have a tiny HUD not covering the whole window, don't be afraid to press Printscreen if you feel another opportunity for a great screenshot won't happen anytime soon. Better press Printscreen right now than losing the perfect moment by rushing to press Shift+F12 to remove the HUD.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ashman7286 wrote: »
    1920x1200???

Well that rules out anyone entering with a 1920x1080 monitor then doesn't it. Way to go Cryptic, well thought out as always.

Use /renderscale to change the ss size. I generally use /renderscale 3 and then reduce for entry.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Just to make something clear, you actually DO NOT need to turn off the HUD to get a HUD-free screenshot with Print-screen as it automatically removes the HUD from the saved picture.

Using Shift+F12 is only to see what it'd look like without the HUD, so if you already have a tiny HUD not covering the whole window, don't be afraid to press Printscreen if you feel another opportunity for a great screenshot won't happen anytime soon. Better press Printscreen right now than losing the perfect moment by rushing to press Shift+F12 to remove the HUD.

Using /screenshot will produce ss without UI in png format. You can use /screenshot_jpg if you prefer jpegs.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    A big problem I have with the screenshot contest is that you require photoshop. That's not a free software, as far as I know.

If someone can do something with Gimp or Paint.NET or Windows paint or just a naked screenshot that stands up to photoshopped picture, why not let him compete? Is the layered PSD that important for a community contest?

Gimp and others are fine, format for competition is clearly stated as being JPG.

IIRC Gimp can also export as PSD.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Using /screenshot will produce ss without UI in png format. You can use /screenshot_jpg if you prefer jpegs.

Nice thanks for the tip.
    Where do the jpeg's go ?
    Is there a screenshot folder within the STO folder ?
    I usually turn off my HUD via options, then use printscreen, and paste into MSpaint, then save as...Jpeg
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014

~CaptainSmirk

If it's enough photoshopping, it should be noticeable compared to a normal picture.

Thanks for the consideration.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Taste that air. Really gets the blood running.tz3j.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img713/9007/tz3j.jpg
  • Options
    lobstertanlobstertan Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    KOmM1uP.jpg
  • Options
    preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    2xyKqVq.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/2xyKqVq.jpg

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah orders his Smegma Crazies to cross the frozen wasteland.
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Nice thanks for the tip.
    Where do the jpeg's go ?
    Is there a screenshot folder within the STO folder ?
    I usually turn off my HUD via options, then use printscreen, and paste into MSpaint, then save as...Jpeg

Yup, there is a screenshot folder in your /sto/startekonline/live folder.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
  • Options
    andyp85pneandyp85pne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Astron.jpg

Decided to take some well deserved 'time off' for a little Aurora gazing.

"The Needs Of The Many Out Way The Needs Of The Few!"
  • Options
    trickster34trickster34 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    uz1egJR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uz1egJR.jpg

Thought I would merge a few aspects together as I had a few shots from various place in the Wonderland.

Similar story to the Gingerbread invasion but with a few alterations:

The little Gingerbread Orion’s Village has been snowed in due to a landslide and some Klingon snowmen have ceased control of her village, asking Santa T'Krur for some help, while Q just watches over!

Enjoy. :)

Edited: Had to re-upload image, as noticed that it was a previous version and not the final one.
  • Options
    otnedootnedo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    cfoDNzF.jpg
    Just my favorite thing of the whole event :3
  • Options
    zlimer101zlimer101 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    LOOK OUT! Its the queen. Calling in snowball strike! Acy6xIt.jpg?1
  • Options
    tontokowalski22tontokowalski22 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't think we're in the Empire anymore...
    KkK25pz.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/KkK25pz.jpg
    vSzSPTd.jpg
    I don't always feel like endlessly grinding for hours with little to gain from it. But when I do, I choose Star Trek Online
  • Options
    wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    2014_winter_contest_winin.jpg

Trying to stay warm on the bridge of our latest gift from Q. At least the previous owners left some thermal uniforms.

The jpg file.
  • Options
    xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    snowwars_zpsb1a4b404.jpg

dont take prisioners :D where iam you can see me
    nexus.jpg

• Options
    technical42ndtechnical42nd Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Starfleet Dental presents a Cardassian Union Production

Frozen!