What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #69 - Winter Wonderland Celebrations - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Much better ^_^ Equally, I forget if you read Spires of Pentaxia, but he was who I had in mind when writing the drunken noble at the banquet :D

I did, and yeah, that bit was hilarious when I imagined his voice there. :D
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I did, and yeah, that bit was hilarious when I imagined his voice there. :D

Glad you enjoyed it :D
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Glad you enjoyed it :D

You're welcome. :)

Now I have to talk with starswordc about 2 or 3 collabs I want to do, and get my regular computer fixed, and do 4 finals.

I'm screwed. :D
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That was pretty funny, worffan. Especially the bit about the Klingons.
    You're welcome. :)

Now I have to talk with starswordc about 2 or 3 collabs I want to do, and get my regular computer fixed, and do 4 finals.

I'm screwed. :D

My sympathies. My schedule's pretty f**ked up this month, too. Graveyard shift slinging boxes at UPS. Oh well, at least the pay's a lot better than at my last two jobs.

I want to get another chapter of The Wrong Reflection out by the end of the month, maybe the next bit of Red Fire, Red Planet, too, and I also want to do something with Biri Riyannis for gulberat's zhian'tara prompt in the unofficial challenge.

With this prompt, I've got kinda the same problem as I did on the last one: limited number of human characters on the Bajor, although now I've got one confirmed Catholic at least (the conn officer, Park Jin-Soo), and I'm leaning towards making Warragul Wirrpanda a member of the Uniting Church.

But maybe I do something similar to the Day of Remembrance pieces takeshi and I did, walk the holiday back to its roots (a la Halloween -> All Hallows Eve/Day of the Dead). Maybe do something akin to Celtic solstice celebrations with Brokosh.

Or perhaps I go completely off-book using Jaleh Khoroushi, and look at Ramadan through Romulan eyes. I wonder what the irreligious* Romulans would think of fasting all day for a month?

* The Elements aren't an organized religion so much as a spiritual belief. No holy days, clergy, or personified deities (the Elements are more of a concept than a god you can talk to).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    That was pretty funny, worffan. Especially the bit about the Klingons.
    It was a bit of canon that just made a lot of humorously appropriate sense. Super-strong security chief who's still getting used to her body being kissed with dubious consent one too many times equals Klingon through wall equals lovesick Klingons.
    My sympathies. My schedule's pretty f**ked up this month, too. Graveyard shift slinging boxes at UPS. Oh well, at least the pay's a lot better than at my last two jobs.

I want to get another chapter of The Wrong Reflection out by the end of the month, maybe the next bit of Red Fire, Red Planet, too, and I also want to do something with Biri Riyannis for gulberat's zhian'tara prompt in the unofficial challenge.

With this prompt, I've got kinda the same problem as I did on the last one: limited number of human characters on the Bajor, although now I've got one confirmed Catholic at least (the conn officer, Park Jin-Soo), and I'm leaning towards making Warragul Wirrpanda a member of the Uniting Church.

But maybe I do something similar to the Day of Remembrance pieces takeshi and I did, walk the holiday back to its roots (a la Halloween -> All Hallows Eve/Day of the Dead). Maybe do something akin to Celtic solstice celebrations with Brokosh.

Or perhaps I go completely off-book using Jaleh Khoroushi, and look at Ramadan through Romulan eyes. I wonder what the irreligious* Romulans would think of fasting all day for a month?

* The Elements aren't an organized religion so much as a spiritual belief. No holy days, clergy, or personified deities (the Elements are more of a concept than a god you can talk to).
    Go with Jaleh, that oughta be fun.

I sent you an email, BTW, what do you think of the idea?
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nice story, Worfie. But there's quite a few religions you left out. Church of Elvis, Rastafarianism, Church of the Divine Loony, Scientology...
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    Nice story, Worfie. But there's quite a few religions you left out. Church of Elvis, Rastafarianism, Church of the Divine Loony, Scientology...

1. Scientology isn't a religion, to me; it's far to openly abusive of its members, and I do not feel that giving it any kind of legitimacy is a good idea. I'm deadly serious about this; I refuse to include Scientology in anything I write except as an object of ridicule and loathing.

2. Man, I should've added something for the Church of Elvis and various Abrahamic Middle Eastern faiths, and maybe something for Hinduism and the various Buddhist groups, but I didn't know what would work. Frankly, that Muslim holiday was a stretch. I didn't want to accidentally offend anyone.

Glad you enjoyed it, though!
  • Options
    kuntelkuntel Member Posts: 16,484 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    1. Scientology isn't a religion, to me; it's far to openly abusive of its members, and I do not feel that giving it any kind of legitimacy is a good idea. I'm deadly serious about this; I refuse to include Scientology in anything I write except as an object of ridicule and loathing.

2. Man, I should've added something for the Church of Elvis and various Abrahamic Middle Eastern faiths, and maybe something for Hinduism and the various Buddhist groups, but I didn't know what would work. Frankly, that Muslim holiday was a stretch. I didn't want to accidentally offend anyone.

I personally thought that the Eid al-Mawlid an-Nabawī reference was nice. Recently had to do a paper on it as well, so I didn't have to google it!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I don't consider veganism a viable lifestyle, but many would disagree with me ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I don't consider veganism a viable lifestyle, but many would disagree with me ;)

The thing with scientology is that it's...well, a cult. It, like many branches of AA, the Unification Church, and more outlandish groups like the Heaven's Gate cult and the Rajneeshi cult (the latter notable for its leader shielding himself from criticism by being the most daringly outlandish stereotype of a demented cult leader possible), features systematic abuse of members, especially lower-ranking ones, intensely secretive practices, and totalitarian internal techniques that I find inherently morally abhorrent.

Basically, it's everything bad about organized religion without any of the good stuff.

Due to personal reasons, I refuse to give legitimacy to cults. For any reason whatsoever.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,379 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm strongly considering featuring one of my newer captains, a Tellarite named Vazlav, because I have this image in my mind of his science officer T'Lot holding a sprig of mistletoe someone pinned up and complaining of the illogic of associating the emotion of love, generally considered positive, with a parasitic plant that often kills its host...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm strongly considering featuring one of my newer captains, a Tellarite named Vazlav, because I have this image in my mind of his science officer T'Lot holding a sprig of mistletoe someone pinned up and complaining of the illogic of associating the emotion of love, generally considered positive, with a parasitic plant that often kills its host...

Yes, do it.

DO IT.

On an unrelated note, I am considering starting a new alt for fun. Anyone got any tips for which species/class combos are the most fun to play?
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    On an unrelated note, I am considering starting a new alt for fun. Anyone got any tips for which species/class combos are the most fun to play?
    What do you have so far?

Lately I've been having the most fun playing with Sway. Gorn Tacs are utterly hilarious on the ground, but space is a challenge with their limited traits.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    What do you have so far?

Lately I've been having the most fun playing with Sway. Gorn Tacs are utterly hilarious on the ground, but space is a challenge with their limited traits.

Yeah, I have a Gorn, but I went eng so I could be a little more even. He kicks serious booty in the Mat'Ha, and I haven't even gotten any rep gear for him.

I already have a couple of Feds who I kick around on, D'trel with her fleet t'varo for fun and OPmitard for grinding, Three and her whimsical ship names (currently using the USS Leonard Nimoy (t5u TSABC) and the USS Jeffrey Combs (Guardian)), an Orion, a KDF joined trill, and a Klingon with a wicked fun Breen raider. I specced that thing for scidestroyer work, tons of fun.

I was thinking Ferasan, Lethean, or Nausicaan. Maybe I could finally make Jak's dimwitted smuggler cousin Krugg (currently in Federation custody for the 18th time in 7 years)...
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, I have a Gorn, but I went eng so I could be a little more even. He kicks serious booty in the Mat'Ha, and I haven't even gotten any rep gear for him.

I already have a couple of Feds who I kick around on, D'trel with her fleet t'varo for fun and OPmitard for grinding, Three and her whimsical ship names (currently using the USS Leonard Nimoy (t5u TSABC) and the USS Jeffrey Combs (Guardian)), an Orion, a KDF joined trill, and a Klingon with a wicked fun Breen raider. I specced that thing for scidestroyer work, tons of fun.

I was thinking Ferasan, Lethean, or Nausicaan. Maybe I could finally make Jak's dimwitted smuggler cousin Krugg (currently in Federation custody for the 18th time in 7 years)...

Schmoopie, the feral, Ferasan fiend.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Schmoopie, the feral, Ferasan fiend.

Yes, darling...maybe I will name a character after our tiger--I mean, cat.

What made you adopt that little terror, anyway?

:D
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yes, darling...maybe I will name a character after our tiger--I mean, cat.

What made you adopt that little terror, anyway?

I needed some sort of watch dog when I was not at home and you were alone.
    And I am afraid of dogs. So, there was no other way.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I needed some sort of watch dog when I was not at home and you were alone.
    And I am afraid of dogs. So, there was no other way.

Next time, we get a parrot.

Now, whose night was it to pick up the kids? And are we together or divorced this week, I can never remember, and the people from the reality show are useless.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Next time, we get a parrot.

Now, whose night was it to pick up the kids? And are we together or divorced this week, I can never remember, and the people from the reality show are useless.

still divoced, and the kids are at Mr. Scrooge's home for gifted children.

You wont see them until I see money..
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    still divoced, and the kids are at Mr. Scrooge's home for gifted children.

You wont see them until I see money..

Right...OK...

Is this the Mr. Scrooge of Scrooge & Marley?

And blast! I blew all of my money on DLC for Crusader Kings 2! Curse you, tempting Steam sales!

(OOC: Out for the night, see you tomorrow, buddy)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The thing with scientology is that it's...well, a cult. It, like many branches of AA, the Unification Church, and more outlandish groups like the Heaven's Gate cult and the Rajneeshi cult (the latter notable for its leader shielding himself from criticism by being the most daringly outlandish stereotype of a demented cult leader possible), features systematic abuse of members, especially lower-ranking ones, intensely secretive practices, and totalitarian internal techniques that I find inherently morally abhorrent.

Basically, it's everything bad about organized religion without any of the good stuff.

Due to personal reasons, I refuse to give legitimacy to cults. For any reason whatsoever.
    I don't disagree with you on those points, I was just illustrating that while you or I may think those things about scientology/veganism, there are many others who will disagree with us, and consider it/them valid lifestyles, and their freedom of opinion must be respected :cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I don't disagree with you on those points, I was just illustrating that while you or I may think those things about scientology/veganism, there are many others who will disagree with us, and consider it/them valid lifestyles, and their freedom of opinion must be respected :cool:

Sure, but not in my writing.

This is a big, personal sticking point for me. I'll never portray cults in anything vaguely resembling a positive or neutral light, for any reason.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Sure, but not in my writing.

This is a big, personal sticking point for me. I'll never portray cults in anything vaguely resembling a positive or neutral light, for any reason.
    This is the exact point hfmudd brought up the other day: Writing something where Something You Don't Like simply has to stand there and take it, isn't a cool thing to do. Interestingly (well, not really, but I'll say it anyway) I was clearing out some stuff yesterday, and found an Arthur C Clarke novel with this note below the publication history:

"The opinions expressed in this book are not those of the author"

I found that quite interesting... :cool:
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That was an ... interesting tangent. :confused:

Catrie, this is your third LC, right? Gotta say I really like the light-hearted-but-not-too-silly tone of your vignettes.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    This is the exact point hfmudd brought up the other day: Writing something where Something You Don't Like simply has to stand there and take it, isn't a cool thing to do. Interestingly (well, not really, but I'll say it anyway) I was clearing out some stuff yesterday, and found an Arthur C Clarke novel with this note below the publication history:

"The opinions expressed in this book are not those of the author"

I found that quite interesting... :cool:

I understand this, but it is my honest opinion that there is absolutely no legitimate defense for cults whatsoever. To pretend otherwise, in fiction or out, is not OK.

So I'm sorry, but I'm not going to have one single cult that is not clearly and repeatedly shown to be exactly as abusive, nasty, and generally loony as it is.
  • Options
    catriecatrie Member Posts: 0 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    Catrie, this is your third LC, right? Gotta say I really like the light-hearted-but-not-too-silly tone of your vignettes.

Thanks, :) I'm glad you like it. Yeah, it's my third LC.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,379 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Presumably, as humanity has spread through the galaxy and met other life forms out there, the patent silliness of Scientology has become too much to hold up under the strain of plain fact. It posits, after all, that its entities are not in fact supernatural as such, but actually exist out there somewhere - and in Star Trek, they plainly don't.

Various religious faiths might well persist; I dare say they would, in fact, provided they weren't too rigid (Charismatic Evangelical Protestantism, which among other things denies that there can be any alien life, wouldn't have lasted long after First Contact, for example). However, that only works if God(s) doesn't/don't have an actual physical location that can be investigated. Strannik's Russian Orthodox faith works for him - because Heaven isn't in the physical universe, and God is supernatural. Scientological belief would, I think, crumble in the face of no Xenu, no starships that look exactly like DC-8s, and telepaths that can verify that we're not being hagridden by the ancient souls of galactic criminals executed millions of years ago by strapping them to volcanoes.

On the third hand, the continuation (and apparent actual veneration) of the Pastafarian church implies that other less-than-serious religious beliefs might have continued into the future and mutated into serious beliefs as well. So where's the display for the Jedi faith? :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ...Actually, I will add a Darth Vader statue right now. Don't know how that slipped my mind.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I understand this, but it is my honest opinion that there is absolutely no legitimate defense for cults whatsoever. To pretend otherwise, in fiction or out, is not OK.

So I'm sorry, but I'm not going to have one single cult that is not clearly and repeatedly shown to be exactly as abusive, nasty, and generally loony as it is.

Okay, I'll try another direction with a rhetorical which doesn't need an answer, but something for you to consider:

Do you really need to?

When you write stuff like the JanewayBashing (as an example of what hfmudd was refering to) it makes well written stuff, I'm sorry to say, less enjoyable...

I'm not trying to be a d**k (but probably doing a good job of it) just trying to make you a bit more mindful of how/what you write :cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Presumably, as humanity has spread through the galaxy and met other life forms out there, the patent silliness of Scientology has become too much to hold up under the strain of plain fact. It posits, after all, that its entities are not in fact supernatural as such, but actually exist out there somewhere - and in Star Trek, they plainly don't.

Various religious faiths might well persist; I dare say they would, in fact, provided they weren't too rigid (Charismatic Evangelical Protestantism, which among other things denies that there can be any alien life, wouldn't have lasted long after First Contact, for example). However, that only works if God(s) doesn't/don't have an actual physical location that can be investigated. Strannik's Russian Orthodox faith works for him - because Heaven isn't in the physical universe, and God is supernatural. Scientological belief would, I think, crumble in the face of no Xenu, no starships that look exactly like DC-8s, and telepaths that can verify that we're not being hagridden by the ancient souls of galactic criminals executed millions of years ago by strapping them to volcanoes.

On the third hand, the continuation (and apparent actual veneration) of the Pastafarian church implies that other less-than-serious religious beliefs might have continued into the future and mutated into serious beliefs as well. So where's the display for the Jedi faith? :)
    *cough*Redjac*cough* ;)