test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Levelling Sucks.

commandersolacecommandersolace Member Posts: 71 Arc User
Is there any easy way to level without running 50+ Argala runs to get even half way up the bar?

It's infuriating! Any tips please?
Solace.png
"I'd be delighted to offer advice on women. When I have some I'll let you know..." - Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard
Post edited by commandersolace on

Comments

• groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I suggest having a wife, girlfriend, family member or other trusted person on standby with a frying pan, baseball bat or some such blunt instrument to club you around the head hard enough to make you forget the last 50 runs.
    This process only has a limited scope, but you may well make 60 :p
    I'm sorry I jest, but yes it is VERY tedious levelling past 50/60 now, especially after the story, unless you hammer the patrols and doffing and I feel your pain.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Try replaying the old missions, make sure all your Alpha/Beta quad patrols are done... If you've done that already, I'm afraid death by boredom is the only option if you want to reach lvl 60.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Heh - welcome to STO post DR, where the levels are few and far between...

Find any XP bonuses you can... whether they are store bought or, one trick I have found, find and engage any and all sector red alerts (Borg, etc.) as it is an auto XP boost zone.... The problem with this is you will have to go from sector to sector, instance to instance in search for them... but they DO help... even if not by leaps and bounds.

adamkafei wrote: »
    Try replaying the old missions, make sure all your Alpha/Beta quad patrols are done... If you've done that already, I'm afraid death by boredom is the only option if you want to reach lvl 60.

Haven't they nerfed this already? I know on Kobali Prime if you replay misisons the rewards are halved if not more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Haven't they nerfed this already? I know on Kobali Prime if you replay misisons the rewards are halved if not more.

Replay rewards have never been great, I don't think it's a 'feature' of DR though, I find the AQ and BQ patrols are 900xp a time, I hear the sirius block ones are higher, I'm not sure what the story replay is.

You could try foundry stuff as well, that gives out some decent XP if the get some or other mission attached to it and do spotlighted ones, that'll keep you busy if nothing else.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • odisseusrhodisseusrh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    save the DR content til 54. Run things like Fleet actions and other PvE queues that have high mob spawns for the first 4 lvls or so.
  • crispy789crispy789 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I havn't encountered any issues with leveling, even with my limited play time (one char to 60, one at 57, two at 56 and one at 54) and not a single Argle run, so i'm not sure why people are having issues.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    crispy789 wrote: »
    I havn't encountered any issues with leveling, even with my limited play time (one char to 60, one at 57, two at 56 and one at 54) and not a single Argle run, so i'm not sure why people are having issues.

Funny funny stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I used Gorn Minefield for quite a bit of my exp on the way to 60. It was really cool seeing that queue filled up with people all the time. It was fairly quick, easy, fun, and gave decent exp. Sadly it's empty now, like most other queues. :(
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Leveling up now, after the latest nerf, is a horrible experience. It wasn't too bad before but now its a nightmare task.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Dont level to level. Right now, I'm treating level 50-60 like I used to treat 50. I'm helping a fleet member level, play some PvE's, STF's. And every now and then I get a LEVEL UP message and I play the next episode.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Is there any easy way to level without running 50+ Argala runs to get even half way up the bar?!

It's infuriating! Any tips please?

Doffing for 2-3 months ... not sure about the last nerf, maybe 4-6 months now ... at least logging in every 24h is doable, without the urge to wash out your eyes with acid ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The title of this thread suggests that an MMO isn't the gamestyle of choice for the OP. DR came with the first level increase since just after the game's release - leveling is, as such, a nearly-new experience for many players.

Give it a few weeks, and we'll all forget about the 50-to-60 grind.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    chipg7 wrote: »
    The title of this thread suggests that an MMO isn't the gamestyle of choice for the OP

Dunno ... can't remember all of these 500 "Death Mine" - Runs, just to go to Northrend ... :P
    Give it a few years, and we'll all forget about the 50-to-110 grind.

fixed that for you ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    super-casual like the rest of us and just login to run rep and DOFF assignments, then go play something else for your entertainment
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Leveling sucks in general. 1-50 go way too fast and you never really get to know a ship before they're throwing you into a new one. You quickly blow past the minimum level for missions and next thing you know, they're handing you a T3 ship when you're already in a T4. Then for players who already hit 50, it changes to be annoyingly slow if you're just trying to enjoy the new story missions. I really think the entire XP curve needs reevaluation, not just bandaid nerfs to stop people from getting specialization points too quickly.

Make spec points post 60 take forever, I don't care about those, we really don't need more power. I'm more concerned for the players who just want to have fun playing through the story, but hit this annoying "grind patrols and doff" roadblock.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I suggest having a wife, girlfriend, family member or other trusted person on standby with a frying pan, baseball bat or some such blunt instrument to club you around the head hard enough to make you forget the last 50 runs.
    This process only has a limited scope, but you may well make 60 :p
    I'm sorry I jest, but yes it is VERY tedious levelling past 50/60 now, especially after the story, unless you hammer the patrols and doffing and I feel your pain.

I'm adding you to my christmas card list for that. Well done. here's a cookie and 300 free internets :D
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The title of this thread suggests that an MMO isn't the gamestyle of choice for the OP. DR came with the first level increase since just after the game's release - leveling is, as such, a nearly-new experience for many players.

ahhhh, but until then? RRRAAAAGGGGEEEEEEE and WWWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA and don't forget cheese with my WWWHHHHIIIIINNNNNEEEEE :D
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you know what else sucks OP?

Tootsiepops yeah i have to put one in my mouth suck on it half the damn day when i just want the tootsie roll in the middle :(
  • rygelx16rygelx16 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Never have I seen an MMO expansion where they didn't have nearly enough content to fill the levels added, ever. I cannot think of 1 expansion where I was forced to rerun either new or old content with such mindless repetition. Leveling from 50-60 is by far the worst leveling experience I have ever seen in any MMO.

They added a level increase for no other reason than to add an increase. There isn't enough content to fill those levels. You get no new captain abilities, no new skill points or skills, in fact it the biggest waste of 10 levels I have ever seen in a game. All it serves to do is gate content, forcing you to level to see it. And once you do get to 60 you have access to all the same exact content you were already playing at 50 just with more HP. The amount of fail made by Cryptic here is just mind boggling.

It has already been a few weeks and those toons I didn't level before the nerf are not even remotely close to 60.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you know what else sucks OP?

Tootsiepops yeah i have to put one in my mouth suck on it half the damn day when i just want the tootsie roll in the middle :(

Would this not infer that the Tootsie Pop sucks YOU?
    :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
    edited November 2014
    Doffing for 2-3 months ... not sure about the last nerf, maybe 4-6 months now ... at least logging in every 24h is doable, without the urge to wash out your eyes with acid ...

I just read you sig and started saying
    "Delta rising is the greatest expansion ever and players love it"

then snapped out of it....how dare cryptic use jedi mind tricks on me in a star trek game :D
    edited November 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Would this not infer that the Tootsie Pop sucks YOU?
    :eek:

:eek: OMG OMG OMG MAN EATING TOOTSIEPOPS....RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!! :D
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP: if you are playing just to get to 60, then you are missing the game.
  • mossimo70fumossimo70fu Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP: if you are playing just to get to 60, then you are missing the game.

The flip side of this coin is: if you are starting DR content at level 50, there is not much left to miss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ^ which is true from a certain point of view ... If all one did was play the story content and some STFs.
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ^ which is true from a certain point of view ... If all one did was play the story content and some STFs.

What else are they going to do? Patrols? Not exactly exciting or fun. PvP? Completely broken. The Foundry? Good luck finding the mission you want to play. Explore? Oh yeah....
    2iBFtmg.png
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    rygelx16 wrote: »
    Never have I seen an MMO expansion where they didn't have nearly enough content to fill the levels added, ever.

I think they added enough content, but certainly it isn't all in the story.

The ship mastery system makes running PvEs or other patrols very much worth it. I'd venture that the mission-to-mission gap gives players time for leveling their ships. I know the last missions of DR were certainly made a lot easier given that I had enough time to level a couple of my ships before the big fights, as well as get some of my gear upgraded.

No, not all the content is in the story. But they've placed additional value in playing other content, by allowing other content to help further your progress in the new game systems.
  • gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, I think it would be perfectly fair to expect the missions unlocked at a given level to be enough to get one to the level required for the next mission.

For example, starting the Delta Rising content at level 50, you can do either the first or first two missions. The next after that requires level 51. It is not "wanting something for nothing" to expect those missions to get one to level 51 without replaying with the ones after that following that same pattern.

Remember, there are people out there who don't much care for re-runs in any media.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    LOL that's not an excuse. If they wanted to add in content at a later date they already have a perfectly viable episodic system in place.

The current content was equivalent to 8 levels if you go off the 8 Missions. However I'd reckon Kobali Prime is only really worth 2 levels at most. So drop that to 5 levels total for a nice round number. Then to get to 60 have the STF's and other content fill the gap Which it can do nicely if they didn't nerf it to faeces.

As you release more episodic content (like that new mission the other day) then you set it to the next level, say level 55-56 and add it in. Some people will have already passed it, others won't have. The great part about it being an MMO is that it's playable REGARDLESS of level. Those still leveling will get it at the right point in the story. Those past it will be able to progress their own story as it's released. Everyone wins, no egg on face, no kneejerk "OMG players are having fun working together to beat content MUST NERF reactions needed."

But then to suggest any of that would require having someone managing the project capable of logical thought.

(In B4 ban for trolling again!)
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    rygelx16 wrote: »
    Never have I seen an MMO expansion where they didn't have nearly enough content to fill the levels added, ever. I cannot think of 1 expansion where I was forced to rerun either new or old content with such mindless repetition. Leveling from 50-60 is by far the worst leveling experience I have ever seen in any MMO.
    Unfortunately, that's not true. Swtor's Makeb comes to mind. Once you've run the main story and the side quests, you are lvl 53~, and the max level is 55. You either have to run new dailies, or old ones. In any case, that's not the usual main/side quests anymore.

Usually it's quickly patched in this case. For Swtor they added a X12 experience boost with the new addon preorder.

But yeah, leveling is bad in DR. Even worse considering half the story quests are patrol mission. And there is no replayablilty, since the missions are the same no matter your allegiance, and the dialogues are exactly the same, except for a few (the first mission with Neelix, other than that, it's the same).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]