test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do I measure my dps?

furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
edited December 2014 in The Academy
Ever since DR came out, I've seen threads and posts about how ones "needs" certain levels of dps in order to complete certain portions of advanced and elite ques, given the drastic boost to health enemies get in said harder content.

I know there's another camp among the hardcore crowd that insist teamwork and paying attention to the objectives is more important than dps, but I've actually grown personally curious. As someone who definitely considers himself a more "casual" player, especially in STO, I've never actually concerned myself with how much dps I do: I've just done what seems to work and what I've had fun with.

Unfortunately, with the release of DR, having "fun builds" is apparently no longer acceptable in the harder group content, and having finally finishing the main storyline of DR, I've considering giving some of that harder content a try, just to see how it actually is. But, on the offset that I end up being confronted by a more hardcore player demanding to know my dps, either in the PublicEliteSTF channel or through the course of an actual mission, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell them...which probably wouldn't go over well.

So how do people in this game measure their dps? I know in some other MMOs, there are addons and such that measure such things, but, as far as I'm aware, this game doesn't allow for the use of such things. Do people still use, like, some sort of outside program or website, or something? Or do people just got out and kill things, look back at the combat log, add everything up the hard way, and make a rough guesstimate?
"There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
Post edited by furiontassadar on

Comments

• opo98opo98 Member Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Haha! You would have to be a little more than hardcore to manually add up and approximate a combatlog yourself! :D

But in case you were wondering, our friends over in starfleet Germany came out with this DPS meter.

It's pretty much standard.

http://tinyurl.com/onc6wd6
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What's the best way to get a good indication of your DPS? Do you run a random patrol and focus all of your firepower on a single mob then parse that or run an entire STF and get your DPS from the entire run?
  • mspfuelermspfueler Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not sure what other people do, but run a few Infected Space STF's on "normal" so you get the hang of what has to be done. Maybe watch a few youtube videos to learn advanced. Or go with fleetmates that'll teach you how to do it. When you're ready, do a Infected Space STF on "Advanced". That'll give you a good idea of what your damage and DPS are over a fairly short run.

Remember, damage is your total damage over the run. DPS is damage per second spread out over the run. Keep shooting at stuff and your DPS will be higher. If you're not firing, your DPS can drop pretty quickly.

IMO, you need 5,000 (5k) dps over the run to be helpful to the team, although lot's of people do Advanced in the 3,000 to 5,000 DPS range. There's usually a couple guys in any pug (pick up group) that do well over 10k DPS to make up for the low DPS guys. Anything over 10,000 DPS is pretty good and puts you in the top 15% or so of players. Watch a few youtube videos to see the players that do 20,000-to 50,000+ dps. There's even one out there that shows a player doing just over 100,000 dps. But he has all the proper support needed from his team mates

If you're doing 5k dps, your total damage over the run should be between 1.5-3.0 million damage.

Your results may vary.
    Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    e30ernest wrote: »
    What's the best way to get a good indication of your DPS? Do you run a random patrol and focus all of your firepower on a single mob then parse that or run an entire STF and get your DPS from the entire run?

The standard we use for comparison is a full run of ISA (Infected Space Advanced). When you see "15k", "30k", etc., it's always in reference to your DPS in a full run of ISA. There are two reasons for that.

The first reason is because ISA has the least variance, the only variables being your team composition. The impact of that variable is ameliorated by running ISA multiple times and then looking at the average.

The second reason is because the results are actually relevant. ISA is done in a team, fighting against groups of enemies. If we're in a team with you for a PvE queue, we're going to be in a team, fighting against groups of enemies - so your performance in that context is what is measured.
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    opo98 wrote: »
    But in case you were wondering, our friends over in starfleet Germany came out with this DPS meter.

It's pretty much standard.

http://tinyurl.com/onc6wd6

Thanks for the link, opo, and for the advice on how to use it, msp and dark.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
    edited November 2014
    So, if I'm reading the Combat Log thingy correctly, I apparently do about 8.9K dps. Color me astounded. I mean, I know it's not quite top 15% level, and not to toot my own horn, but that's not too bad for a guy who's never even bothered to check his dps before. Guess "going with what worked" really was working out for me. :D

On top of that, in the the Infected: Space Advance run I was in, I got second place in dps, and even then, I think the person who got first place managed to inflate their numbers by throwing Gravity Wells at the Nanite Sphere clusters. Certainly, anything I started shooting at had a tendency to glance sharply in my direction soon after. Speaking of which, I even managed to survive going toe-to-toe with both the Gateway AND the Tactical Cube, though it took popping quite a few cooldowns. Still, guess that means my survivability ain't too bad, either. :P

Still, that was only ISA, which still seems to be considered the easiest of the STFs. Even so, I think that was the confidence booster I needed to encourage me to actually give some of the other STFs, and possibly the other STF difficulties, a try.
  • ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So, if I'm reading the Combat Log thingy correctly, I apparently do about 8.9K dps. Color me astounded. I mean, I know it's not quite top 15% level, and not to toot my own horn, but that's not too bad for a guy who's never even bothered to check his dps before. Guess "going with what worked" really was working out for me. :D

On top of that, in the the Infected: Space Advance run I was in, I got second place in dps, and even then, I think the person who got first place managed to inflate their numbers by throwing Gravity Wells at the Nanite Sphere clusters. Certainly, anything I started shooting at had a tendency to glance sharply in my direction soon after. Speaking of which, I even managed to survive going toe-to-toe with both the Gateway AND the Tactical Cube, though it took popping quite a few cooldowns. Still, guess that means my survivability ain't too bad, either. :P

Still, that was only ISA, which still seems to be considered the easiest of the STFs. Even so, I think that was the confidence booster I needed to encourage me to actually give some of the other STFs, and possibly the other STF difficulties, a try.

So it turns out you've measured your DPS now, want to improve it? the dps channels are there, once you break 10k and upload it using the combatlogger, then you'll get an invite to 10k automagically, but until then, there's DPS-Public chat channel ingame
    /channel_join DPS-Public
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1: What exactly is combatlogger?

2: Where and how do I upload the results?

3: The 10k DPS club actively monitors and invites everyone who uploads?
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »
    1: What exactly is combatlogger?

The combatlogger is a java app that reads the combat log generated by the game and translates it into meaningful information. Available here. To use it, you only need to have Java installed. Unzip this folder to the destination of your choice, and then execute 'CombatLogReader.jar'. Then within the app, when you first load there are onscreen instructions. Although you don't need to go through this every time, they show on load every time.
    2: Where and how do I upload the results?

Within the app there is an upload button, this uploads the record to a database searchable within the app itself.
    3: The 10k DPS club actively monitors and invites everyone who uploads?

Yes.
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    For AOE shots, is DPS computed per MOB or per shot? For example, if you shoot 5 ships with an AOE damage of 6k, is it counted as 30K in one shot or just 6k?
  • pewpewphazorspewpewphazors Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Congratulations on parsing your first isa run ever. And getting a nice result too. You can only go up from here.

It gets addicting and now I personally parse every single run hehe.
    edited November 2014
    e30ernest wrote: »
    For AOE shots, is DPS computed per MOB or per shot? For example, if you shoot 5 ships with an AOE damage of 6k, is it counted as 30K in one shot or just 6k?

The higher number.

Reason: my gravity wells damage is taken from all the spheres it touches
    edited November 2014
    So it turns out you've measured your DPS now, want to improve it? the dps channels are there, once you break 10k and upload it using the combatlogger, then you'll get an invite to 10k automagically, but until then, there's DPS-Public chat channel ingame

Actually, I have a question about my result. I excluded pet damage from my total, when I posted about it last night. Was I right to do that? Because, with pet damage, my overall dps was actually 14.7k.
    Congratulations on parsing your first isa run ever. And getting a nice result too. You can only go up from here.

It gets addicting and now I personally parse every single run hehe.

Heh, I have to admit, I'm probably going to be doing that myself, from now on. :D And not just to see my damage, but if someone is doing better than me, check out what they were doing, for reference and comparison.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The combatlogger is a java app that reads the combat log generated by the game and translates it into meaningful information. To use it, you only need to have Java installed.
    No thanks then. Java has an even worse install/update mechanism than Flash, but just as many if not more bugs and security vulnerabilities.

For those that use it and are happy with it, that's great but I highly recommend you stay on top of Java security updates, which are numerous and frequent.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    edited November 2014
    Actually, I have a question about my result. I excluded pet damage from my total, when I posted about it last night. Was I right to do that? Because, with pet damage, my overall dps was actually 14.7k.

Heh, I have to admit, I'm probably going to be doing that myself, from now on. :D And not just to see my damage, but if someone is doing better than me, check out what they were doing, for
    reference and comparison.

pet dps counts as your personal dps, even the fleet support typhoon battleship and nimbus pirates counts as yours. It's a skill you have to activate so I don't have a problem with it the way it is.

So since you did 14.7k, if you or someone uploaded that parse, then you should have received an invitation to the 10k dps channel.
    edited November 2014
    pet dps counts as your personal dps, even the fleet support typhoon battleship and nimbus pirates counts as yours. It's a skill you have to activate so I don't have a problem with it the way it is.

In that case, if you or someone uploaded that parse, then you should have received an invitation to the 10k dps channel.

Wowza. I guess I just assumed personal dps was just that: what you alone did with your ship...plus buffs and such, I suppose.

No, I didn't upload it since, again, I thought I had merely done a bit above average. Guess I should give it a shot, and see what happens. :D

Isn't there a nerf coming for pets, though? Well, I suppose even if they cut pet dps in half, I think that still puts me a little above 10k....
    edited November 2014
    Okay, I uploaded it, and a dialogue box did come up saying something about an invite had gone out. Guess I'll check that out after lunch....

In order to upload it, I had to change it so it used something called "DPS-Channel settings". Is this what I should be using from now on, or just when I want to upload a record?
    edited November 2014
    From what I've observed, "default" settings only take into account your dps only when you're dealing damage and not when you're flying around and not shooting or dead while "dps-channel" settings take into account your dps from your first attack to your last attack, so the times when you're flying around and not shooting or when you're dead will lower your dps. This is why it'll always appear lower in the latter setting. Anytime you want to upload, you'll have to upload it with dps channel settings so I personally just leave it there. Nothing too confusing here really.
    edited November 2014
    From what I've observed, "default" settings only take into account your dps only when you're dealing damage and not when you're flying around and not shooting or dead while "dps-channel" settings take into account your dps from your first attack to your last attack, so the times when you're flying around and not shooting or when you're dead will lower your dps. This is why it'll always appear lower in the latter setting. Nothing too confusing there really.

Ah, interesting. That might explain why my dps dropped a bit from 14k to 13k when I switched settings. I did die at one point: got cocky and scatter volleyed a nanite sphere pack, and instead of blowing cooldowns, I thought I could cloak and drop aggro that way. Evidently, I was wrong. :P

I guess it's more that, at least when it comes to the DPS channel settings, I need to keep in mind how much flying around (or dying) I've done in a mission, when I see my dps score for a given run.
  • olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited November 2014
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    No thanks then. Java has an even worse install/update mechanism than Flash, but just as many if not more bugs and security vulnerabilities.

For those that use it and are happy with it, that's great but I highly recommend you stay on top of Java security updates, which are numerous and frequent.

ugh, that's pure hell

if flash wasn't bad enough of a gaping security hole
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gfreeman98 wrote: »

There is a standalone .exe version, but I don't have the link handy.
    edited November 2014
    So, uh, where exactly does one receive this invitation? Or does it, like, take a set amount of time after the parse has been uploaded?
    edited November 2014
    So, uh, where exactly does one receive this invitation? Or does it, like, take a set amount of time after the parse has been uploaded?

- open up the chat configuration menu (the button with a picture of a gear next to the chat typing box)

- click "Chat settings"

- click channels

- join the dps-10k channel
    edited November 2014
    - open up the chat configuration menu (the button with a picture of a gear next to the chat typing box)

- click "Chat settings"

- click channels

- join the dps-10k channel

Ah, so the "invite" is more of a...permission toggling or whatevs, saying I can join the channel. Obviously, I was expecting, like, an actual physical invitation or something. :D

Thanks for patiently answering my questions, pew!
    edited November 2014
    edited November 2014

Yeah, fortunately there was no shadowy man in a dark cloak waking me up last night to say that I'd been invited to join the 10k dps channel....

Despite that, when I logged in today, I did notice that the 10k channel had been added to my channel list, so whatever needed to be toggled apparently did finally.

So far it, ah, seems quite a bit more quiet, compared to the regular PublicSTF channel. Maybe that will change, come the evening....
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ignore the "dps required" people when they start ranting. But you do need *solid* dps to beat the timers in advanced and elite STFs. On top of beating the timer, it *helps* to be better than average so you can take up the slack when your team has a couple of weak players. Pugs in advanced routinely fail even simple things like conduit & khit. Conduit, you have people shooting the probes and spheres instead of the transformer, then it does not die fast enough and a nanite gets thru to heal it and game is lost. Khit, people manage the probes usually but fail the timer usually which is a pure lack of dps for the whole team.

the trouble with parsing dps is you are comparing to people doing screwy things. They get into a team of elite players and stack debuffs, for example, which inflates the numbers. You have people that (again, conduit example) shoot targets that cannot be damaged, not a few stray shots but constantly to inflate the parse. And you have aoe parses, where the sheer number of targets inflates the damage done but does not indicate a thing about the ability to knock down the borg gate in time to succeed.

So, again, ignore the numbers. You want to know if you are ready? Do khit normal. When you can do a side by yourself as fast as the team can handle the other side*, you are ready for advanced. It may take a few goes before you can avoid being helped by someone. If you can get both generators but not the big gate, while stopping all the probes, that is good enough. If you are really good you will get the gate too.

* obviously I mean a team that is supposed to be doing normal. If some guy in a 80k dps scimitar is on the other side, that run does not count. SO you need a run where you can chew on a side by yourself AND the other side does not have an elite player. Still, within 10 runs you should find 1 or 2 chances to test yourself.