test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What comes after new ESD (including Club 47)?

Comments

• Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,243 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    No, it really isn't. Take it from someone who just spent 3 months building the Intrepid interior from about 1000 screencaps personally taken from the show. DS9 could be much closer to the show than what we have now.

Well, this is essentially the point I was making in my first post here. As much as I'd love to rebuild DS9, there is no way we'd do it unless there was some big release centered around it. Say, like we just did with the Intrepid Interior, or with ESD before that. There are a lot of places in the game that would be fun to work on, but we're not going to just build them for building them's sake. We're going to build them if/when a major piece of content is planned around them.

So no DS9 revamp till we get to the gamma quadrant?
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2014
    westx211 wrote: »
    So no DS9 revamp till we get to the gamma quadrant?

That's a fair assumption.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited November 2014

That's what I was expecting, however; any hints you could drop as to ideas and concepts in the working that might be worked on in the not-so-near future?:cool:
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I was just wondering if I could propose a variation on the foundry comps that Smirk runs?

When doing the foundry I like creating the maps but not so much the rest behind it :o and imagine there may be others like me as well, perhaps an idea for a competition along the lines of the foundry comps but just for a map that can be created for a part of the game.

The winning entry could then be gone over by the art/environment dept. to bring it up to the standards for game use!

Just an idea.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I'd be very surprised if you guys weren't already talking about having the Gamma Quadrant as the subject of your next big release and introducing an updated Defiant as the next T6 retrofit. Now that we have a T6 Voyager, a T6 Defiant seems inevitable. I'd assume a DS9 renovation would be included in that release as well.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well, this is essentially the point I was making in my first post here. As much as I'd love to rebuild DS9, there is no way we'd do it unless there was some big release centered around it. Say, like we just did with the Intrepid Interior, or with ESD before that. There are a lot of places in the game that would be fun to work on, but we're not going to just build them for building them's sake. We're going to build them if/when a major piece of content is planned around them.

Remember that time that DS9 had a fleet action? Hint hint, it could come back in glorious fashion with a new interior. ^_^

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Dan Stahl was talking about the Gamma Quadrant years ago, and how if Cryptic were to expand the galaxy, they would go for the Delta Quadrant first and the Gamma Quadrant second due to the impact Voyager had on the franchise.

So, if that is anything to go by, any major content expansion involving other parts of the galaxy, the smart money would be on the Gamma Quadrant.

Which means, at least to me... the smart money is on the environmental art team getting to redo DS9.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The same thing that comes every night Pinky, trying to take over the world! Muahahaha! i mean i dunno, (hope to god some real balancing tweaks, and bug fixes ...)
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No, it really isn't. Take it from someone who just spent 3 months building the Intrepid interior from about 1000 screencaps personally taken from the show. DS9 could be much closer to the show than what we have now.

I like the way you think!

Yes, of course DS9 could look square inch by square inch accurate.... but I am being realistic the amount of time and resources it would take to make it worth it. I want to pretend that is actually Empok Nor (same yet slightly different), and the REAL DS9 awaits... (yes I know there is an Empok Nor in game but still...)
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    DS9 is like an impressionist painting. If you stand there, and squint, everything looks dandy. But if you get up close, or start really paying attention, it all falls apart. In addition, people want to add the Security Office, the Infirmary, etc. And I have no desire to try and bodge those into the old map. I'd rather rebuild from scratch, so I know it's right.

I don't want to turn it into something else, I want to make it correct for the show (and update the things that make sense to update)

Sounds like a great excuse for a Gamma Quadrant expansion to me.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ro Laren is still the chief of security on DS9, afaik. It would be nice to see Michelle Forbes reprise her role... or maybe get a promotion to replace Kurland's executive officer who got Jemmed in her hadar.

... or ideally, replace Kurland entirely!

"Ro, here." "This is Ro."
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Ro Laren is still the chief of security on DS9, afaik. It would be nice to see Michelle Forbes reprise her role... or maybe get a promotion to replace Kurland's executive officer who got Jemmed in her hadar.

... or ideally, replace Kurland entirely!

"Ro, here." "This is Ro."

Ro is Chief of Security on DS9 in game? What? Where the heck was I when that happened.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ro is Chief of Security on DS9 in game? What? Where the heck was I when that happened.

It was in the Path to 2409. I think it was Cryptic's way of trying to "make things right" with the character, since the character of Kira Nerys was originally supposed to be Ro Laren, but Michelle Forbes was not available.

And the Chief of Security is nowhere to be seen in any of the DS9 story arcs or on the station itself, so I'm assuming Ro Laren still holds the position.

Maybe Christine Thompson or Jesse Heinig can correct me if I'm wrong.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    She betrayed Starfleet by joining the Maquis

Did she join the Bajoran Militia after the Maquis imploded?

And since it worked for Kira, let's trust someone whose had betrayals with Starfleet time and time agian?

I remember the whole talk of Ro suppose to be the Bajoran liason to DS9, but after her stunt in Preemptive Strike (or whatever that ep was called), I would have a hard time trusting her, let alone Starfleet working along side her
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It was in the Path to 2409. I think it was Cryptic's way of trying to "make things right" with the character, since the character of Kira Nerys was originally supposed to be Ro Laren, but Michelle Forbes was not available.

And the Chief of Security is nowhere to be seen in any of the DS9 story arcs or on the station itself, so I'm assuming Ro Laren still holds the position.

Maybe Christine Thompson or Jesse Heinig can correct me if I'm wrong.

Well until recently the Doctor and Seven of Nine's characters had a similar status in the Games lore. Mentioned briefly but never seen.

It seems like they cleverly had places for these characters in the background which kept them close enough to the game in case they could use them later but didn't break any rules about character likenesses.

So maybe we'll see some more of these background characters brought to the front in the future, who knows?
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    She betrayed Starfleet by joining the Maquis

Did she join the Bajoran Militia after the Maquis imploded?

And since it worked for Kira, let's trust someone whose had betrayals with Starfleet time and time agian?

I remember the whole talk of Ro suppose to be the Bajoran liason to DS9, but after her stunt in Preemptive Strike (or whatever that ep was called), I would have a hard time trusting her, let alone Starfleet working along side her

On stardate 58370.4 in 2380, Ro turned herself into Starfleet custody. She pled guilty to desertion charges and was sent to Earth to spend time in a penal colony. In 2382 she completed her sentence and was granted a commission in the Bajoran Militia. She was assigned to Deep Space 9 as chief of security. -- The Path to 2409

... now whether or not that still stands after the events of the 2,800 is up in the air, but since I've not seen anything to explicitely contradict that, I am still assuming she's chief of security. She's just nowhere to be seen.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    On stardate 58370.4 in 2380, Ro turned herself into Starfleet custody. She pled guilty to desertion charges and was sent to Earth to spend time in a penal colony. In 2382 she completed her sentence and was granted a commission in the Bajoran Militia. She was assigned to Deep Space 9 as chief of security. -- The Path to 2409

Neat. I have to confess that I wasn't sure which Bajoran character I prefer: Ro Laren or Kira Nerys.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Neat. I have to confess that I wasn't sure which Bajoran character I prefer: Ro Laren or Kira Nerys.

I think I always preferred Ro Laren. Kira Nerys is a religious scholar on Bajor last I checked. Although I find it a pretty big pill to swallow that she's the Kai, but that's what the lore says. :P
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Kira wants to unleash the Pah-wraiths

She will be the next big-bad for STO... she'll be mightier than the Iconians cuz she will have Pah-wraith demons on her side mwahahahaha
  • Options
    edited November 2014

She will be the next big-bad for STO... she'll be mightier than the Iconians cuz she will have Pah-wraith demons on her side mwahahahaha

It seems more likely that it'll follow the plot formula we've seen thus far.

- Pah-Wraiths become an enemy group.

- KDF, Romulans, and Federation decide to team up together to form the Pah-Wraith Counter Strike Force Alliance and start reverse-engineering Pah Wraith technology with the help of the Celestial Temple.

- We investigate the Pah-Wraiths and discover they want to destroy the Celestial Temple and use the Bajoran Wormhole for some nefarious as-yet-unknown plot. Maybe the Celestial Temple helped annihilate the Iconians in ancient history and now the Prophets realize the threat the Iconians and Pah-Wraiths present once more.

- At the end of the storyline we discover that the Pah-Wraiths were a servitor race for the Iconians. Maybe they were the clergy. The Prophets warn us of a coming war with the Iconians, but that the Pah-Wraith threat is ever-present.

- Don't forget about the Pah-Wraith lockbox.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The Iconians resurrect Gul Dukat, don't forget that too
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The Iconians resurrect Gul Dukat, don't forget that too

Zombie Gul Dukat is the boss of the Pah-Wraith PvE Queue Event.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I half expect Gul Dukat to show up again with some magic voodo powers or something, to do battle with the sisko, messiah of the new millenium
    Edit - how typical, I have to wait to post and i get beaten to the punch
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    And it will be Grand Nagus Rom who saves the day and trips of his staff and knocks the Big Bad down a reactor core, and the Empire is no more! I mean... all the quadrants are safe from the Iconians!
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Matt Miller was saying not long ago that he agreed with a comment I made saying that the mid-Romulan and Cardassian leveling material need remastering. I assume that's on the long-term docket regardless of whether there's a gamma quadrant expansion.

That might PARTIALLY offset the cost of doing that redesign.

If it follows the path of other redesigns, my guess would be that we would see Cardassian front missions get deleted (which aren't necessary to get to level 50) and we would see more of the action centered on the station.

I think a big part of how you would offset the cost of that map design is:

- Use in remastered episodes (and it would get used repeatedly there alone).
    - Use as an adventure zone (I can see Mirror Terok Nor working as that and using mostly the same assets).
    - Use in queued events (DS9 Riot as a Colony Invasion-style event).
    - Use as a Nor fleet holding (which might require some design considerations).

Ordinarily, I'd agree when it comes to the idea of it being used in a gamma quadrant expansion. That would be a big goal that would finance your use of time on it.

But enough smaller uses (particularly if leveling revamp is still a priority for Romulan and Cardassian fronts) might all add up to subsidize it. Worth bringing up, I'd think.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Zombie Gul Dukat is the boss of the Pah-Wraith PvE Queue Event.

He's not technically dead. He's in a subspace pocket with the Pah-Wraiths, more or less, isn't he? We know who has access to subspace, right?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    He's not technically dead. He's in a subspace pocket with the Pah-Wraiths, more or less, isn't he? We know who has access to subspace, right?

Do Pah-wraiths live in subspace? I thought it was the banished Pah-hell dimension...
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014

Calling it right now. The Iconians were behind the Pah-Wraith/Gul Dukat alliance, Benjamin Sisko will come back from the celestial temple to 'cast out' the Iconians from our galaxy once and for all. DS9 will be pivotal.

There you go Taco, justification for a redesign. :)
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

That was mostly a tongue-in-cheek comment about him being a zombie. For storyline purposes, he would be considered 'dead'.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That was mostly a tongue-in-cheek comment about him being a zombie. For storyline purposes, he would be considered 'dead'.

I think it is kind of essential to the end of DS9 that neither Sisko nor Dukat actually died. They just went back to their corners outside of time and space.

Heck, there's a mission in STO where Dukat's daughter is trying to free him from subspace.

Speaking of characters and their kids, while STO has created kids for some characters, I admit I remain curious about Sisko and Kassidy's kid (which might be a big deal for the Bajorans) but also Dukat's well-established off-screen CARDASSIAN family.

Dukat got around but I am really curious how his son dealt with having Dukat as a father. Unlike Dukat's Bajoran kid (who apparently wants his approval and to follow in his footsteps with the Pah-Wraiths), I'd imagine his son might feel neglected and even shamed by his father. His dad never made it to his games, went around starting franchises over on Bajor, and then sided with an outside occupying government that brought Cardassian society to the brink of ruin.

I imagine Dukat's son might well prefer the Federation and their reforms to his old man, who was never good for very much as a father to Mekor or a husband to Mekor's mother Athra. Heck, Athra divorced him and took Mekor and the kids away after they learned of Dukat's dalliances with Bajorans